Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 23:51 - May 2 with 1724 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What’s your maddest QPR related journey?

[Post edited 2 May 2020 23:53]
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 00:10 - May 3 with 1695 viewsloftboy

Mine would be the Stockport Monday night away game in 1989, parked up right outside the ground next to the supporters coach, got held back by the old bill after as apparently an ambush had been planned, heard to the M56, after driving down it for a good half an hour I said to my mate “ shouldn’t we be at the M6 by now?” I had driven the wrong way, came off at the next junction and headed back the right way, came off the M6 to go on the M1, just before Luton traffic ground to a halt, roadworks, 3 lanes into 1, eventually got back to Bracknell about 4 AM had to be at work at 8

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 00:23 - May 3 with 1660 views2Thomas2Bowles

One that springs to mind was my first time going to Notts F

Feb 1978 FA cup replay ended 1-1 and went to a 3rd game**

It was in a batted old car belonging to my best mates brother who drove us up there, on the way back he insisted on having a window open to keep him awake and it was fecking freezing

I just looked and the 2nd reply was also at Notts F, anyone knows why that was, and not a neutral ground? we lost 3-1

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 01:00 - May 3 with 1660 viewsqpr_1968

in the 52 years ive been going, absolutely too many to mention.
they say your best ones are the ones you don't remember.
and after leaving on a coach, not lsa or supporters club, at 7.30 from SAR to elland road,
when we lost 6-1, 2004 I think, and ending up in the pavilion at nearly 11pm, I don't remember a thing......I know so much happened on that journey though from bits and pieces after, will be left on that coach.

being handcuffed to a luggage rack all the way to derby in 1975, after an early ruck with palace fans at kings cross.

in the car park at luton when a good few qpr were stabbed at that cup game in '87.

Sheffield united 1976, when we drew 0-0, evil.
went by train, came home in a open top furniture lorry.

Yeovil away in the cup late '80's, half of us got off the lsa coach in the town, and had it with a load of Bristol city fans in the pub, very naughty.

aston villa, 76 or 77 new years day, van load of us broke down in luton, waited in the luton crest hotel till van was fixed, broke down on spaggetti junction, not too bad though, only a handful of qpr at the game, about 20 all in all, mullered outside after. van smashed to bits.

just a few to mention, other than that, lovely days.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 09:16 - May 3 with 1568 viewsenfieldargh

Early days of going to away games was a Saturday game away at Charlton. Those were the days before radio, internet or anything really. Got all the way there to find out the game was postponed.

Flew back from LA March 30th 1974, landed mid morning dad picks me up from LHR then straight to see a pulsating 0-0 draw with Derby who had players sent off.

Broke down on the M6 on the way back from Shrewsbury 29th March 1980. We got stuffed 0-3, broke down in the pouring rain, watched the team coach whiz by as waiting for recovery service.

Getting home from Birmingham this season, took hours!!!!

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 09:43 - May 3 with 1528 viewsozexile

Amazingly not an away game. I was 14 at the time went to the box office after school to buy FA Cup tickets v West Ham.
Got home and was informed by my Dad that we had a family event in Oxford that day and I wouldn't be going. Matchday comes and the game is delayed due to dodgy tickets. I convince my Dad to drive me to loftus road and I walk into the loft just as Pizanti hits one into the top bins. I genuinely can't remember what time the game finished? Anyone?
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 10:04 - May 3 with 1507 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Southampton away was always my favourite trip. The car journey was horrific so most R's got the train. Which meant beers.

We always won there as well*. In one game in the early 90's we won 5-0 or something** and we had a massive support and the beers were flying***. This continued until late evening and my crew decided to catch our train home. I said I'd stay on with other Rangers and catch a later train.

A couple of hours later I was on the platform and I felt my rolled-up QPR tricolour slip out of my back pocket. I turned around to see a gang of Southampton fans. One was starting to burn my flag.

I asked if that was because it was a Rangers flag or because it was Irish.
Both, said he.
Fair enough, said I.
And carried on.

On the train we carried on drinking. Then I decided to go to the next carriage where more mates were drinking and I grabbed my beers and sauntered off. But on the way I saw an open door and a guard's compartment. And a bed.

Twenty minutes kip would be just the job for me. Would set me right up.

When I awoke I gathered myself and gathered my beers. And opened the door. To darkness. Odd. I went for another saunter. More darkness. No movement. No people. We were parked up for the night. I was parked up for the night.

I tried a door. Locked. Another. Locked. All of them. locked. So I headed for the front of the train and into the driver's cab. There'll be a phone there. There was. No-one answered. Door. Locked. Need a hammer. Smashed the glass box. Blood everywhere. The hammer was on a chain. The chain was too short. The hammer didn't reach anything. Bollocks. Tried another door. Open.

Out I got, and went for a walk for myself, loads of tracks. Don't step on the live ones, Briany. Good lad. Going fine. Saw some lights ahead. A platform. Walk towards that. watch the live tracks. Great boy. Legend. It was Clapham Junction. Tube still running. people on the platform all staring at this bloody man with beers strolling across the tracks. Jumped up on the platform. Wiped myself down.

Another day done, says I to them. And strolls off.

Tube shutting down. Black taxi. To Kenton. 50-odd quid. Woke my Dad for a loan. Had a beer. Went to bed.

*probably bollocks
**more bollocks
** this is true, and so is the rest.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 10:33 - May 3 with 1490 viewsted_hendrix

Mel's double decker coach to manure for an evening cup game, me and me two lads met the coach at the M40 services the journey up there was one hell of a craic, lots of good lads who used to post on this MB on the coach, coming back was a bastard bitch some pratt from Highways decide to shut most of the M6 lanes just to annoy me causing a traffic jam of epic proportions, by the time I got back in me car and got home it was almost 8.00 FFS, straight off to work, and of course we lost being a cup game, to cap it all off a couple of weeks later I got a letter from my Company asking me to pay the £60 fine for leaving my car at the M40 services. (Carpenters Greatest Hits).
To cap it all off again a few years later I got on another one of Mel's coaches to Cardiff at Leigh Delamere services and hey ho I got fined another £60 for leaving my bloody car in the services for more than 2 hours apart from that it was a good day out.
Stockport away was a bastard on a freezing cold day in January, the pitch inspection was at 1.00 pm on the Saturday by which time I was already on the M6 not knowing if I was wasting my time or not and then the announcement was made on the car radio that our game was on, being an FA cup game surprise--surprise we fecking well lost FFS, fists flying outside the ground afterwards.
Been diverted many times driving up North and always with the same result a long journey home pissed off.
Port Fail 4-4 was just brilliant though and a few others too.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 12:06 - May 3 with 1438 viewsloftboy

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 09:43 - May 3 by ozexile

Amazingly not an away game. I was 14 at the time went to the box office after school to buy FA Cup tickets v West Ham.
Got home and was informed by my Dad that we had a family event in Oxford that day and I wouldn't be going. Matchday comes and the game is delayed due to dodgy tickets. I convince my Dad to drive me to loftus road and I walk into the loft just as Pizanti hits one into the top bins. I genuinely can't remember what time the game finished? Anyone?

6:00PM

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 12:21 - May 3 with 1412 viewscollegeranger

Barnsley away midweek game - Promotion year 2011 ? Car went into limp home mode at Chesterfield on M1 - maximum 40mph all the way home should have got home at approx 2.30am got in at 5am !
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 13:18 - May 3 with 1353 viewskingo

5 of us went up to Doncaster in the cup. All good before the game so we parked in the car park outside the ground. During the game Sheffield Wednesday turned up in the away end and there were a few scuffles. Outside after, it was like the Wild West in the car park. We got in the car but as we were driving out they attacked the car with bricks. Side window was put in and a brick landed on my lap. It was January, so 250 mile journey down the motorway with freezing cold wind on us. Luckily the fashion was ski clothing, so at least we had some warm gear.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 14:56 - May 3 with 1321 viewsderbyhoop

Yeovil (A) in League Cup. Was working in Bristol. It's not that far, I thought. Wrong. Got there minutes before KO. Out on open terrace and we lost to a club that weren't even in the League at that point.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 21:15 - May 3 with 1233 viewsM40R

Taraabt getting the bus back from Fulham at half time...
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 22:50 - May 3 with 1189 viewsPeterHucker

My most frequent recurring dream is that I'm trying to get to a QPR match and things are conspiring against me (e.g. public transport, setting off late)
I never have dreams about being late for anything else.
Can't remember if those dreams started before this nightmare journey I had going to Selhurst Park in the late 80s.

I'd arranged to meet my mate Mark (Palace fan) in a pub near Thornton Heath station.
I was working in Guildford at the time so it's a pretty straightforward journey to Palace from there. Train to Clapham Junction, change there for Thornton Heath. But I set off nice and early anyway to give myself plenty of time to have a few pints with my mate.

Get to Guildford station, some kind of problem with the main line to Waterloo so the British Rail man on the platform tells me the only way into London today is on something called the Thameslink. So I get on this train that's going to bloody Luton of all places and it stops at about 400 stations on the way there. We are stopping at places I've never heard of and places I've only ever heard mention in a Clash lyric (Streatham)

I was only a teenager and I had no idea where the hell we were. I did notice that we went over the Thames at one point but by then I'd decided to get off at Kentish Town.
I'd been to gigs at the Town & Country Club and I knew that Kentish Town was on the Northern line which I knew carried on past Waterloo down into some other places in South London. Maybe it went somewhere near Selhurst Park??

Anyway I got off at Kentish Town and didn't recognise a thing. This wasn't the same station I'd been to before. I didn't know at that time that Kentish Town overground and underground stations are in different places. They're not that far away from each other but it was far enough to thoroughly confuse me back then. There were of course no smartphones, I didn't have an A-Z with me and I was too much of a sadbastard Smiths fan to actually speak to anyone and ask for directions.

I saw a bus heading to Camden so I got on that because I'd been to Camden market a few times so I knew that was on the Northern line as well. That bus took fcking ages because it was a Saturday so of course Camden Market was on. It would definitely have been quicker to get off the bus and walk!

I can't remember how I got from Camden to Selhurst Park but I didn't meet my mate in the pub. I went straight to the ground, and got in literally seconds before kickoff.
Nearly 5 hours to do a simple journey that normally would take about 1 and a bit hours.

We lost as well.
Still never seen us win at Selhurst Park in many many visits!
[Post edited 3 May 2020 22:53]
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 03:08 - May 4 with 1148 viewsMatch82

Cardiff playoff final. Was at Uni in Leeds, had an exam two days after. Wanted to travel some of the way with my dad and make it a shared experience, so he drove from London a d I got train down to Bristol. Enjoyable time other than the match itself but got a bit worried when it went to extra time. Stepped on it to try and get back to Bristol in time for last train back to Leeds, but missed it. Told "go to Birmingham New Street you'll be able to get something from there, so wave goodbye to my dad and off I trot.

At Birmingham, nothing. Poor student, wasn't going to splash out for a hotel room, so decide to make the most of it. Me and one other bloke, who's just come back from a tour of duty. Jobsworth security guards move us on 3 or 4 times and finally get about 2 hours kip with my textbook for a pillow. Cold as fck. Get home, pass out, don't study and scrape by the exam by the absolute bare minimum.

Haven't liked Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, Andy Campbell or Tommy Williams since.
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 07:22 - May 4 with 1117 viewsdistortR

qpr v liverpool at anfield, after the 'hurricane'.springs to mind.

Leaves (And, branches, trunks etc) on the lines, so I decided to hitch up to Hemel Hempstead on the friday, meet up with a mate and head on from there.

So there's me, with my mohican and clobber, thumb out, yeah right.

A reliant robin eventually pulled up. This huge bloke i had known from my days squatting in Guildford and hadn't seen or heard from soon gets out, 'Where you going Gus?'.

Returning from his first trip to Brighton -

So he took me to somewhere or other from where i could get a train to hemel. His accelerator cable snapped on the motorway, so i gave him my qpr scarf, he wrapped it round his hand and we continued.

So all in all a happy day - such a lucky coincidence, great to catch up. Haven't seen him since!

Match was shit and we lost 4-0
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 10:46 - May 5 with 987 viewsthemodfather

someone mentioned an lsa coach to leeds, i was on the one that caught fire going up , near scratchwood, we waited for a replacement...got to game, lose 6-1 , stewards were like para military loonys that day, anyway coach back had no bog, it had been removed and was an open hole, it was so cold coming back......
and the now famous return from manure in the cup....when some git in the motorway dept agreed to let them remove graffiti from roadside causing massive tailbacks and delays to london, got back to white city about 5am!
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 14:07 - May 5 with 934 viewsqpr_1968

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 10:46 - May 5 by themodfather

someone mentioned an lsa coach to leeds, i was on the one that caught fire going up , near scratchwood, we waited for a replacement...got to game, lose 6-1 , stewards were like para military loonys that day, anyway coach back had no bog, it had been removed and was an open hole, it was so cold coming back......
and the now famous return from manure in the cup....when some git in the motorway dept agreed to let them remove graffiti from roadside causing massive tailbacks and delays to london, got back to white city about 5am!

yes, I went up on JM's coach that morning, but a fellow I work with still, went up on the coach that caught fire....still mentions it.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on 15:28 - May 5 with 916 viewsGuppy

Hitch hiking from Swindon to watch the Rs v Liverpool afternoon game many years ago and then hitching back finding myself stuck at Newbury turn off till gone one in the morning.
And this one might be a dream as we had played in a final in 86 and four of us found us on the train back to Swindon with train full of Oxford supporters who were offering us out of the buffet car past the couple of transport cops - seemed to take ages till their stop
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024