Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden 00:50 - Dec 2 with 4018 viewsjoolsyp

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/every-word-dean-holde

Frustrating game and 2nd half performance but we should give some credit to City's manager for recognising what was happening and doing something about it at half-time. He also compliments us a number of times on our forward play and LTC's passing.
Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 08:28 - Dec 2 with 3602 viewsHunterhoop

“It’s a little bit surprising where they are in the league, considering the players they have got.”

The most interesting comment of all, in my opinion. Reinforces my opinion talent (or lack of) is far from our problem.

And if talent is not our problem, we are underperforming.
Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 08:52 - Dec 2 with 3513 viewsgazza1

My view is that we are underperforming and too many individual mistakes are hurting us very badly. These mistakes, Dickie for the 2nd goal, must stop otherwise we will not move up the table. We also need to start scoring with the chances we make, 1 -1 at half time was not enough for the pressures we had and the chances we created, 3 - 1 would have been a fairer reflection.
Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 13:01 - Dec 2 with 3103 viewsCiderwithRsie

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 08:28 - Dec 2 by Hunterhoop

“It’s a little bit surprising where they are in the league, considering the players they have got.”

The most interesting comment of all, in my opinion. Reinforces my opinion talent (or lack of) is far from our problem.

We have our weak players, but IMO our total is less than the sum of our parts.

The question is whether these are teething troubles or permanent. Lots of key players are either new signings (all the strikers, Carroll, Dickie, Adomah) only recently become 1st choice (Dieng, Kakay, Hamailaanen) or are having to step up from supporting role to key man (Chair). BOS, Barbet, Ball and Wallace are the only players from last night who were regular 1st choices last year (and Wallace is one of our weakest links).
Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 13:31 - Dec 2 with 3017 viewsed_83

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 13:01 - Dec 2 by CiderwithRsie

The question is whether these are teething troubles or permanent. Lots of key players are either new signings (all the strikers, Carroll, Dickie, Adomah) only recently become 1st choice (Dieng, Kakay, Hamailaanen) or are having to step up from supporting role to key man (Chair). BOS, Barbet, Ball and Wallace are the only players from last night who were regular 1st choices last year (and Wallace is one of our weakest links).

Not even Wallace, really - played a few games last season but was injured for ages and mostly kept out of the team by Manning the rest of the time.
Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 13:38 - Dec 2 with 2994 viewsSouthCoastR

We are a very frustrating side at the moment, as has already been said we concede far too many goals to move up the table.

Getting to the point where all players are able to play for 90 minutes will help as that will allow us to make subs based on tactical changes rather than forced changes due to tiredness
Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 13:44 - Dec 2 with 2965 viewsHunterhoop

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 13:01 - Dec 2 by CiderwithRsie

I know we’ve discussed it on the other thread, Cider, but I don’t think the question is “are these teething problems or permanent?” I hope to god they’re not permanent!

I think the question is “are the problems fixable?” If yes, “is our current ahead Coach showing signs of correcting them?” The further follows up are “would someone else be able to improve them?” If yes, “who?”
Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 14:24 - Dec 2 with 2869 viewsCiderwithRsie

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 13:44 - Dec 2 by Hunterhoop

I know we’ve discussed it on the other thread, Cider, but I don’t think the question is “are these teething problems or permanent?” I hope to god they’re not permanent!

I think the question is “are the problems fixable?” If yes, “is our current ahead Coach showing signs of correcting them?” The further follows up are “would someone else be able to improve them?” If yes, “who?”

Yeh, fair. I'm just saying that I'd expect some degree of under-performance irrespective of manager just because of the number of changes.
Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 15:42 - Dec 2 with 2732 viewsDannytheR

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 08:28 - Dec 2 by Hunterhoop

Lack of talent isn't the problem but lack of experience and cohesion is.

We were a just-about mid-table team last season with a £20m player in the team that all our football was played through. Take him out, spend less than half the money we got for him, spread it around the squad and 14 games in, we're bobbing about a few places below where we ended up last time. You often feel like throwing the laptop across the room actually watching it unfold, but statistically, it's probably about where we were always going to be at the moment.

I don't think Holden meant what was said snidely, but I'd be interested which players he meant. Osayi Samuel halfway out of the door? Dickie and Dykes in their first games at the level? Chair in his first season as a real regular, replacing said £20m player? Willock only just fit enough to start? Other than that, it's a team of kids, rejects and old men isn't it?

And this from the manager of a club who have been unsuccessfully trying to buy themselves into the Premiership for donkey's years now, and whose equaliser last night was scored by a player we literally couldn't afford. (Just as you imagine we couldn't afford either the wages for Brunt or Mawson or the McDonalds bill for Chris Martin.)

Few of us are under any illusions about Warburton and his limitations, and the time machine back to '95 to spend the Les money better and cement ourselves as top team in London is as tempting as ever. Beyond that, to paraphrase a QPR legend, we are where we are.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 15:54]
Login to get fewer ads

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 16:48 - Dec 2 with 2609 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 15:42 - Dec 2 by DannytheR

Lack of talent isn't the problem but lack of experience and cohesion is.

We were a just-about mid-table team last season with a £20m player in the team that all our football was played through. Take him out, spend less than half the money we got for him, spread it around the squad and 14 games in, we're bobbing about a few places below where we ended up last time. You often feel like throwing the laptop across the room actually watching it unfold, but statistically, it's probably about where we were always going to be at the moment.

I don't think Holden meant what was said snidely, but I'd be interested which players he meant. Osayi Samuel halfway out of the door? Dickie and Dykes in their first games at the level? Chair in his first season as a real regular, replacing said £20m player? Willock only just fit enough to start? Other than that, it's a team of kids, rejects and old men isn't it?

And this from the manager of a club who have been unsuccessfully trying to buy themselves into the Premiership for donkey's years now, and whose equaliser last night was scored by a player we literally couldn't afford. (Just as you imagine we couldn't afford either the wages for Brunt or Mawson or the McDonalds bill for Chris Martin.)

Few of us are under any illusions about Warburton and his limitations, and the time machine back to '95 to spend the Les money better and cement ourselves as top team in London is as tempting as ever. Beyond that, to paraphrase a QPR legend, we are where we are.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 15:54]

I’d not really heard much of Dean Holden before yesterday. Seems to be doing a good job at Bristol City but if anyones players underperformed last night it was theirs. Our Naki played well and Nagi looked good I thought and there was some good last ditch defending by them.

I agree with Danny I don’t know who the players are that Holden is talking up. Having slept on it and watched the extended highlights we were worth well more than 1 goal and I’m still not really how we didn’t get more.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 19:52 - Dec 2 with 2395 viewsjoolsyp

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 16:48 - Dec 2 by CliveWilsonSaid

I’d not really heard much of Dean Holden before yesterday. Seems to be doing a good job at Bristol City but if anyones players underperformed last night it was theirs. Our Naki played well and Nagi looked good I thought and there was some good last ditch defending by them.

I agree with Danny I don’t know who the players are that Holden is talking up. Having slept on it and watched the extended highlights we were worth well more than 1 goal and I’m still not really how we didn’t get more.

I thought their stand-out player was O'Dowda on the left.
Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 20:16 - Dec 2 with 2340 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 19:52 - Dec 2 by joolsyp

I heard his name mentioned a lot but he didn't really grab my attention for some reason. Highest rated with an 8 in the match report too.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 21:44 - Dec 2 with 2224 viewsWestonsuperR

Interesting comments from City Manager Dean Holden on 19:52 - Dec 2 by joolsyp

Agreed, he was very good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024