Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 14:31 - Jan 28 with 1931 viewsNorthernr

Coney scored, we won on penalties, quarter final, anybody there, any memories? Might try and do it for the featured match but I've never seen footage, or heard that much about it.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 21:17 - Jan 28 with 551 viewsqprxtc

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 16:23 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought it was Coney, but wasn't 100%.

How come none of us remember the game itself?

It was a night game, so we can't all have been plastered.

I’m reckon it’s because it was a trophy no one gave a shite about. When you think of the games we played in this competition, no one ever talks about them, there are then lost through lack of repetition. A semi final at Everton no one remembers or cares about.

From memory in this competition:

87/88 Reading home 1-3
88/89 Sheff Wed away 1-0 aet
88/89 Watford away 1-1 aet 4-3(?) on pens
88/89 Everton away SF 0-1
89/90 Southampton away 0-4(?) Paul Parker bust his leg
90/91 don’t think we bothered?
91/92 Norwich away 2-1(?)
91/92 Palace home 2-3

That was it wasn’t it?

Crap competition invented by that grey toy ken bates.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 21:51 - Jan 28 with 505 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 21:17 - Jan 28 by qprxtc

I’m reckon it’s because it was a trophy no one gave a shite about. When you think of the games we played in this competition, no one ever talks about them, there are then lost through lack of repetition. A semi final at Everton no one remembers or cares about.

From memory in this competition:

87/88 Reading home 1-3
88/89 Sheff Wed away 1-0 aet
88/89 Watford away 1-1 aet 4-3(?) on pens
88/89 Everton away SF 0-1
89/90 Southampton away 0-4(?) Paul Parker bust his leg
90/91 don’t think we bothered?
91/92 Norwich away 2-1(?)
91/92 Palace home 2-3

That was it wasn’t it?

Crap competition invented by that grey toy ken bates.

The bizarre thing about the Full Members' Cup was that it was supposedly created to fill the void of European competition after Heysel yet four of the 'big five' (Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs) at the time never competed in it. Such an awful concept too - ooh, we're 'full members' so tough titty all you 'associate members', no crappy trophy for you.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 21:51]
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:04 - Jan 28 with 455 viewsSydneyRs

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 14:34 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I was there.

Seaman saved four penalties in the shootout and I think - think - that they were the only four penalties he saved for us? He really was crap at penos and free kicks, probably the only flaw in his game, unless we're counting the moustache and the ponytail.

Wasn't there (I usually did do Watford away) but I remember it for this very reason. The keeper that never saved pens actually saving some.

With apologies to Gary McAllister and Scotland.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:06 - Jan 28 with 455 viewsSydneyRs

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 14:39 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

We had a really good record up there at the time and we used to get marched from every train station through the allotments, going through our repertoire of songs about sheep, tractors and families that were slightly too insular. We were a witty bunch.

We really treated Watford with disdain back then. I always liked and admired them, except for the horrible football they played.

As for the game, I can't remember anything except it was a small crowd of diehards from both clubs and - as ever, at Watford - a great night out.

Not forgetting the Elton John stuff. We've all moved on a bit since then.

I remember the long walk around the allotments to the away end and a few good results. The away end was good for generating noise with the roof.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:09 - Jan 28 with 453 viewsSydneyRs

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 18:17 - Jan 28 by denhamhoop2

I remember us winning on penalties and Coney scoring Herrera and Pizanti both played I was quite drunk having been on lash in Harrow for my Cousins Birthday it was a Mods/Bikers Pub anyone know the name

Would probably have been the Royal Oak back then (Gateway Bar) or possibly the Kings Head.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:17 - Jan 28 with 445 viewsloftboy

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:06 - Jan 28 by SydneyRs

Not forgetting the Elton John stuff. We've all moved on a bit since then.

I remember the long walk around the allotments to the away end and a few good results. The away end was good for generating noise with the roof.

There was a really boring g 0-0 sometime in the 80’s at Loftus road, Watford went down that season and I think we were all expecting to thrash them, Elton John had not long got married to Renee and he arrived in the directors box in a huge brimmed hat so stood out a mile, practically the whole ground for 90 minutes were changing “Elton John’s a homosexual “. Although definitely not PC it’s actually true so not sure where it stands with the “woke” society, but none the less would probably get the club a huge find these days.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:28 - Jan 28 with 434 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:17 - Jan 28 by loftboy

There was a really boring g 0-0 sometime in the 80’s at Loftus road, Watford went down that season and I think we were all expecting to thrash them, Elton John had not long got married to Renee and he arrived in the directors box in a huge brimmed hat so stood out a mile, practically the whole ground for 90 minutes were changing “Elton John’s a homosexual “. Although definitely not PC it’s actually true so not sure where it stands with the “woke” society, but none the less would probably get the club a huge find these days.

I try not to use the phrase 'woke, the same with 'PC', as both terms are subjective, but those chants were just wrong. If I was a homosexual in the crowd that night I would have felt wronged. Apart. Lesser.

We never chanted "Ken Bates is a Heterosexual", did we.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:39 - Jan 28 with 422 viewsSydneyRs

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:28 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I try not to use the phrase 'woke, the same with 'PC', as both terms are subjective, but those chants were just wrong. If I was a homosexual in the crowd that night I would have felt wronged. Apart. Lesser.

No, he was just a plain old w@nker.
Login to get fewer ads

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:41 - Jan 28 with 421 viewsSydneyRs

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:17 - Jan 28 by loftboy

I remember in my immaturity finding it very amusing at the time.

To be honest I think it may have been more to do with him not admitting it than the fact itself, even back then.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:44 - Jan 28 with 420 viewsloftboy

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:28 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I TUI k it was more to do with the fact that he’d just married a woman when the whole world knew he wasn’t “into women”
I totally agree that in hindsight that the chant has no place in any situation, the same as the “ only one type of nig@er”chant that many thousands of our supporters sang at the 82 cup final every time big Bobby tackled Crooks, I was stood next to a lack bloke that day and I can still remember looking at him and just have him a knowing look of apology whenever the chant went up.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:47 - Jan 28 with 411 viewsstowmarketrange

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:41 - Jan 28 by SydneyRs

I remember in my immaturity finding it very amusing at the time.

To be honest I think it may have been more to do with him not admitting it than the fact itself, even back then.

I preferred the other one about him being bald etc.Childish I know,but if that’s the worst he heard in the 80’s then he wasn’t doing bad.
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:49 - Jan 28 with 408 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:44 - Jan 28 by loftboy

I TUI k it was more to do with the fact that he’d just married a woman when the whole world knew he wasn’t “into women”
I totally agree that in hindsight that the chant has no place in any situation, the same as the “ only one type of nig@er”chant that many thousands of our supporters sang at the 82 cup final every time big Bobby tackled Crooks, I was stood next to a lack bloke that day and I can still remember looking at him and just have him a knowing look of apology whenever the chant went up.

Ya, I agree, my man. Good post.
Hindsight is honestly great though - it allows us foresight.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 07:46 - Jan 29 with 356 viewsNorthernr

Probably not enough to do it as the featured game then. But fun thread
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 08:00 - Jan 29 with 348 viewsThe_Beast1976

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 15:46 - Jan 28 by Superhoop83

Not exactly what you want but you can go to 5.20 for proof that it happened. I am a right sad statto but I have no memory of this result at all, which explains why I never knew Seaman ever saved a penalty for us. He was up there with Joe Lumley on that front.

@2:40 "Alan McDonald, in his first game back after suspension, sent off for elbowing Mark Hughes". Once a cn ut always z cn ut
Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 08:30 - Jan 29 with 332 viewsMrSheen

Watford A, Simod Cup, 88/89 on 23:44 - Jan 28 by loftboy

The abuse and mockery of Elton john was relentless and various. The one that gives me a flicker of guilty pleasure still wasn't actually at a Watford game. Michael Wale had written in the programme about what a thrill it had been to meet Elton at a recent game and how disgusted he was that a fan had spat at him. The chant went up, "Someone gobbed on Elton John, E-I-E-I-O. With a hkk, hkk here...". Rascals, eh?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024