Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beware the Academy! 18:09 - Feb 10 with 1731 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyone see the 'poor' West Ham player who came on as sub, but didn't get a kick and was then subbed himself?

Felt a bit sorry for him, but just goes to show what has been highlighted by Clive and our experiences - academy games, no matter how good you are, don't prepare you for the professional game.

Now to be fair this guy had scored a hat full of goals for Man Utd U18s. Now as we know with the pick of the top half the country's top young talent, to even get to Man Utd 18s this guy must have been pretty good, and to score something like 20 goals IS an achievement, but all counted for nothing when he got a proper game.

I think I'm right in saying he had only played about 30 minutes of 'proper' football before this so this was maybe an error by Moyes in throwing him in here.

Having said that, the other youngster he used - Ben Johnson - looked seriously good and he was 18 as well I think.
Beware the Academy! on 18:18 - Feb 10 with 1686 viewsNoelmc

It was said on the BBC coverage that Ben Johnson is a nephew of our very own Paul Parker. So he certainly has the pedigree to be a good player.
Beware the Academy! on 21:50 - Feb 10 with 1323 viewsqueensparker

That reminds me, where did Sean Goss end up? Is he still playing pro?
Beware the Academy! on 23:07 - Feb 10 with 1176 viewsstainrods_elbow

Beware the Academy! on 21:50 - Feb 10 by queensparker

After his magnificent career with the Rs (6 more games in 2 years than the zero he managed for Manure), the Lesser Sighted Goss is now turning out for Shrewsbury Town. He's now 25 year young and has played 60 pro games, so I think that tells its own story. Which of our scouting experts brought him into the building again?

Didn't realise he was born in Germany, though apparently he was sounded out for NI, and didn't play for them either.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Beware the Academy! on 23:09 - Feb 10 with 1178 viewsSuperhoop83

Beware the Academy! on 21:50 - Feb 10 by queensparker

He is at Shrewsbury and started for them last night in a 2-1 win against Sunderland. Maybe he'll have a decent career yet? He looked technically ok with us but out of his depth, no doubt due to his academy upbringing at United.

I hope he makes a go of it.

Suffering since 1978.

Beware the Academy! on 23:41 - Feb 10 with 1125 viewsstainrods_elbow

Has been man of the match at least once. (Albeit against Acrrington Stanley!)

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Beware the Academy! on 00:04 - Feb 11 with 1093 viewsdaveB

Beware the Academy! on 23:09 - Feb 10 by Superhoop83

He is at Shrewsbury and started for them last night in a 2-1 win against Sunderland. Maybe he'll have a decent career yet? He looked technically ok with us but out of his depth, no doubt due to his academy upbringing at United.

Goss only played about 5 games for us so was hard to know if he was any good or not
Beware the Academy! on 00:28 - Feb 11 with 1069 viewsSydneyRs

Beware the Academy! on 23:09 - Feb 10 by Superhoop83

Fans of the club formerly known as Glasgow Rangers thought we was amazing. For about 5 games.
Beware the Academy! on 17:57 - Feb 12 with 630 viewsTGRRRSSS

How many really make it from The Academy - do even get to play a first team match and from there go onto a top career in PL.

Not sure where it lies, but I often wonder it's at that point dealing with the pressure of the big time, rather than the game in itself.

Nobody seems to be able to explain the difference between being in the Academy coming through and moving onto the true life of top level professional football.
Login to get fewer ads

Beware the Academy! on 18:09 - Feb 12 with 610 viewsPinnerPaul

Beware the Academy! on 17:57 - Feb 12 by TGRRRSSS

How many really make it from The Academy - do even get to play a first team match and from there go onto a top career in PL.

Not sure where it lies, but I often wonder it's at that point dealing with the pressure of the big time, rather than the game in itself.

Nobody seems to be able to explain the difference between being in the Academy coming through and moving onto the true life of top level professional football.

I think the gap in standard/intensity is just too big and maybe something we don't appreciate.

Even the referees I listen to, all mention the fact that there is a massive jump from amateur to semi pro football, another big leap to the National league - another big leap to L1/2, another big leap to the Championship and despite what many think, most top refs I have heard all say THE biggest leap is from Champs to PL.

And that's 'just' refereeing. So no real surprise when you think about it for a lad who's only played U18s football and literally minutes of proper football would struggle in the FA Cup 5th round at Old Trafford!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024