Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? 22:03 - Apr 9 with 4067 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I never knew half of this. But a betting ad came on with The Long Man on it and there's a clip where we see a prolonged shot of his Rangers shirt, so I started googling to see if he's a Rangers fan or just enjoyed being a player here...

Apologies, it's Wiki:

Crouch was born in Macclesfield, Cheshire,[1] but his family moved to Singapore when he was one year old.[4] The move came about when his father Bruce, originally from Fulham, took up a job offer to work at a Singaporean advertising agency.[5] The Crouch family spent three years living in Southeast Asia, and moved back to England after Bruce rejected the chance to work in Australia.[5] They then spent time living at a YMCA in Tottenham before settling in Harrow on the Hill. Crouch attended Roxeth Primary and North Ealing Primary and began to play football with Northolt Hotspurs. He was then invited to join the Brentford Centre of Excellence in 1991 and he also played for the boys club West Middlesex Colts whilst attending Drayton Manor High School.[5] Crouch turned down contract offers from Chelsea and Millwall and instead joined Queens Park Rangers in the summer of 1994.[5] He did not stay at QPR for long, however, for in November 1994, the coaching staff at Loftus Road moved to Tottenham Hotspur, including its youth team manager Des Bulpin, who offered Crouch a contract at Spurs.[5]

Crouch's family were Chelsea supporters, and he became a ball boy at Stamford Bridge at the age of ten.[6] As a child, he attended some Chelsea matches.[7] Later, he told the Liverpool official website that despite this, he and his friends at the time were fans of QPR.[8]

So many points here:

YMCA
Harrow-on-the-Hill (very posh).
Roxeth (quite posh, feeder for Harrow School).
Never knew he was with Brentford.
Never knew that it was Bulpin who poached him.
And, that he is officially a Rangers fan.

I knew he donated £10,000 when we were in dire straits but never knew all of the above.

Is all this true, and I'm sure there's so much more you all can add to paint a bigger picture.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 22:06]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 17:23 - Apr 10 with 960 viewsdutch

When we were collecting for OUR QPR he was the only player who responded and sent us a cheque for a large sum by return of post. For that alone he's one of our own.
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 10:31 - Apr 11 with 730 viewskernowhoop

I remember when he played his first game for us - the laughter from the home fans and the 'beanpole' references. He coped well with all of that.
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:09 - Apr 11 with 690 viewsCiderwithRsie

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 02:03 - Apr 10 by Boston

Are you a local chap, Zider?

Grew up in Ruislip, spent a lot of time in Uxbridge and Hillingdon, bit less in Harrow but went for shops, cinema etc. Went out with a physio at Northwick Park hospital for a bit, don't remember us spending much time in Harrow though!

Main memory of the actual hill at Harrow was having to run up the bloody thing in school cross-country races when the host school was Harrow High School, which was then called Gayton High. In no way at all did anyone take the pee out of them for that.

There was this lane called Football Lane you had to run up, it felt like it was about 1 in 3, I used to think "how the feck would you play football on this?"
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:51 - Apr 11 with 654 viewshantssi

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:09 - Apr 11 by CiderwithRsie

Grew up in Ruislip, spent a lot of time in Uxbridge and Hillingdon, bit less in Harrow but went for shops, cinema etc. Went out with a physio at Northwick Park hospital for a bit, don't remember us spending much time in Harrow though!

Main memory of the actual hill at Harrow was having to run up the bloody thing in school cross-country races when the host school was Harrow High School, which was then called Gayton High. In no way at all did anyone take the pee out of them for that.

There was this lane called Football Lane you had to run up, it felt like it was about 1 in 3, I used to think "how the feck would you play football on this?"

My main memory of Harrow on the Hill is The Castle, great Fullers pub.
Anyone know if it’s still there?
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:57 - Apr 11 with 649 viewspaulhoop2

All rubbish anyone can write on wiki - I read his column in the daily mail ( don’t judge me - it’s online 😂 ) and he says he supported Chelsea. But has a massive affection for QPR and Brentford as his mates support them and from local area. He lived in Acton not far from Old training ground just off twyford avenue and mentions in his books how he had a long commute from their to Spurs when in youth team after leaving us first time around. Shane he never returned under arry would have been good to see him end his career at LR

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 12:21 - Apr 11 with 637 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:51 - Apr 11 by hantssi

My main memory of Harrow on the Hill is The Castle, great Fullers pub.
Anyone know if it’s still there?

Still there alright. Lovely pub.

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 13:39 - Apr 11 with 585 viewsquickpassrotter

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 11:27 - Apr 10 by onlyrinmoray

Think he was in the Haven Arms off Ealing Broadway

Indeed it was the Haven (Haven Arms) in Haven Lane. Peter had a box for the Play-Off Final and came back to his local with his mates afterwards. The pub was rammed - a big QPR pub - and then owned by the Blanchet family, and now by the Campbell family - both local and QPR supporters and season ticket holders. What a night that was !!
Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 16:11 - Apr 11 with 530 viewshantssi

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 12:21 - Apr 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Still there alright. Lovely pub.

That’s good to hear Bri.
Last time I was in there was about 30 years ago for a quick livener before a mates wedding, we arrived at the church after the bride!!
Login to get fewer ads

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 16:15 - Apr 11 with 523 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Peter Crouch is Actually an R? on 16:11 - Apr 11 by hantssi

That’s good to hear Bri.
Last time I was in there was about 30 years ago for a quick livener before a mates wedding, we arrived at the church after the bride!!

Well, that's why churches have side doors!

My parents live 'round the corner so we usually pop in there when I'm over. Nice grub, great beer garden, the beer is ok. It's maybe a bit gentrified these days but I still really like it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024