Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Richard Davis Astral Weeks 20:00 - Apr 15 with 1724 viewsjohncharles

Happy Birthday 91 today. The bass lines on Astral Weeks make the album. When I listened I just hear the bass.

Strong and stable my arse.

Richard Davis Astral Weeks on 20:14 - Apr 15 with 1709 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Couldn't agree more, JC.

One of my very favourite albums, and even though I never played guitar or understood the art of it the bass on Astral weeks is peerless.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Richard Davis Astral Weeks on 22:13 - Apr 15 with 1642 viewsMyke

Agreed and also good to have a good news birthday story, rather than someone else passing away.
Richard Davis Astral Weeks on 23:35 - Apr 15 with 1613 viewsA40Bosh

Richard Davis Astral Weeks on 20:14 - Apr 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Couldn't agree more, JC.

One of my very favourite albums, and even though I never played guitar or understood the art of it the bass on Astral weeks is peerless.

Ok.....

So came across this thread and the mention of bass and as a bass player of 30 years of playing in a wedding band I only really knew VM’s more commercial stuff. So headed over to Spotify and put on Astral Weeks which I had never heard any tracks from before.

So this is different bass to what I know of.....

This is upright bass and a very different way of playing and a very different feel.
As the upright is a fretless instrument some of the pitching up the high end of the neck can be a little jarring to the ear but after listening to the title track it reminded me of one of my favourite songs The JCB Song by Nislopi and I love that song because of that beautiful loose upright plucked bass with beautiful slides and that rattle of a pulled string hitting the fretboard. As I write this, in my headphones is now Cypress Ave which I had never heard before but makes me want to listen to this album and Mr Davis more.

Thanks for setting me off on a new journey.

Edit: due to a reread and having had a couple of Jameson.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 23:47]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Richard Davis Astral Weeks on 01:10 - Apr 16 with 1591 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bosh, what a great call.
One of our family's favourites.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Richard Davis Astral Weeks on 08:30 - Apr 16 with 1512 viewsdezzar

Played St Dominics Preview and Veedon Fleece the other day still sound great.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024