Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ireland 22:40 - Sep 1 with 4896 viewsMyke

Of course all the headlines will be about Ronaldo tomorrow and there is no arguing with his achievement. But this was a very positive performance from a generally very inexperienced Irish team. Was particularly impressed with Ida up front. First indication since Kenny took over that you can see what he is trying to do.
Ireland on 22:52 - Sep 1 with 3779 viewsParkRoyalR

Yes, Ida looked very promising as did keeper, who was superb all night, Ref did his best to help Ronaldo on his big night and Portugal's class over-ran a tired Ireland extra-time.
Ireland on 00:15 - Sep 2 with 3654 viewsTomS

I am conditioned to accept disappointing conclusions to matches such as this. However, my wife isn't.....

I agree with the sentiments about the ref, who to put it kindly was "a homer". There was one blatant shove on Connolly in front of goal to prevent him scoring that was just waved away. I said after the final whistle that he probably swapped shirts with Ronaldo!

I did have the foresight to back him to get booked at 5/1, thinking he would score the record breaking goal tonight and take his shirt off in celebration. It was a bittersweet experience seeing him do that in the time added on by the referee over and above the injury time indicated by the fourth official.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 0:19]
Ireland on 08:18 - Sep 2 with 3362 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It's a long time since I was as disgusted by a reffing performance.

Portugal got a highly dubious penalty, missed it.
Meanwhile Cristiano Ronaldo punches an Irish player, no problem kid.
Then the ref plays overtime at the end of the first half to allow Portugal to build a couple of attacks.
Then Connolly is denied a penalty.
Then the ref plays overtime at the end of FT to allow the winner.

Sick of it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ireland on 08:27 - Sep 2 with 3334 viewsPhildo

Ireland on 08:18 - Sep 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Then the ref plays overtime at the end of the first half to allow Portugal to build a couple of attacks.

Sick of it.

it was as shocking a performance as I can remember- after no 7 scores and takes his shirt off the ref actually walked over and apologised for giving him the mandatory yellow
Ireland on 09:38 - Sep 2 with 3220 viewssprocket

Watched it with my son and it reminded my of the bad old days when International football matches were essentially corrupted by dodgy officials. I kinda knew from it was going to end up happening as you could tell the ref was clueless from the off but still massively depressing nonetheless.

Ronaldo scored two great headers but did very little else during the game (I know I know).
ManU are not a good enough team to be able to carry him. Two years with an option for a 3rd? Bloody hell.
Ireland on 09:48 - Sep 2 with 3188 viewsjohnhoop

Ireland on 09:38 - Sep 2 by sprocket

Watched it with my son and it reminded my of the bad old days when International football matches were essentially corrupted by dodgy officials. I kinda knew from it was going to end up happening as you could tell the ref was clueless from the off but still massively depressing nonetheless.

Ronaldo scored two great headers but did very little else during the game (I know I know).
ManU are not a good enough team to be able to carry him. Two years with an option for a 3rd? Bloody hell.

They deserve each other. One can only hope that his time there is as productive as that of Alexis Sanchez.
Ireland on 10:03 - Sep 2 with 3151 viewsParkRoyalR

Sick of it.

I was particularly impressed with his phoney checking in with VAR via his ear-piece...'what's that Sepp, yeah, I think we can get away with a free-kick on the edge for that non hand-ball....what, you think we can say it was inside the area...not-sure....give it another look..
Ireland on 10:11 - Sep 2 with 3115 viewsted_hendrix

Welcome to the Ronaldo Show.

Those of you poor bastards who've got Sky will be Ronaldo'd to death once the Prem League starts again.

Nice legs, shame about the boat race.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Ireland on 15:28 - Sep 2 with 2879 viewsPaddyhoops

What Cristiano wants, Cristiano gets!!
Ireland on 18:26 - Sep 2 with 2760 viewsTGRRRSSS

You could tell this was an ageing Portugal side, shame what happened last night, his goals ratio is incredible to be fair but I agree Ronaldo will not be as affective in that United side, dare I say too many leaders/egos could cause huge problems, ..... hopefully
Ireland on 18:17 - Sep 4 with 2474 viewsPaddyhoops

1.0 down at home to Azerbaijan. Excuses are running out now for Steven Kenny. This isn't remotely good enough.
An appalling record at this level.
Martin o Neill got dogs abuse for being a relative success especially from the Irish press.
Kenny seems to get a free hit. Very odd.
Ireland on 23:32 - Sep 4 with 2322 viewsqpr_1968

Ireland on 18:17 - Sep 4 by Paddyhoops

1.0 down at home to Azerbaijan. Excuses are running out now for Steven Kenny. This isn't remotely good enough.
Martin o Neill got dogs abuse for being a relative success especially from the Irish press.

christ, that was bad.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Ireland on 10:46 - Sep 5 with 2182 viewsMyke

Very much one step forward and two steps back at the minute. Really poor first half and still depending on Duffy (great to see him back on form though) to bail them out. I'm a fan of McClean,but past his best now, very poor yesterday and should have done to stop the cross for Ronaldo's equaliser. As I said after Portugal game, I like Idah's hold up play and shows good skill too, but simply has to add goals to his game; missed at least 2 very presentable chances yesterday.
Ireland on 12:33 - Sep 5 with 2135 viewsWatfordR

Ireland on 18:17 - Sep 4 by Paddyhoops

Thing is, the style of football has to change not only to be successful, but to have any chance of appealing to future generations of players. Charlton, McCarthy, Trap, O'Neill, they've all played negative, long ball football that has diminished in effect with a diminishing pool of talent to choose from.

We've seen at QPR how it's taken Warbs a long time to start to get results allied to playing football the way he - and we - would want our team to play. It's taken more than two years to get our senior squad right on the field, and since relegation from the Prem to get the lower levels right to support the seniors, and it's still going to take a decade or more of continuing to do the right things the right way before we'll have a chance of establishing ourselves in the Prem.

At international level, Ireland will (for the moment) have a much smaller pool of players to look at, and less games and time together to establish a new identity and way of playing.

I guess what I'm saying is, Kenny would appear to have the right idea about how he'd like to play, but the tools he has at his disposal are very raw and limited, so it's going to take time. If he's get a perceived "free hit" for the moment, then that's probably fair, unless there is someone else that could be realistically employed to take his place that can guarantee taking the team in the same direction with better immediate results. And I'm not sure that's the case.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 12:34]
Ireland on 13:45 - Sep 5 with 2081 viewsPaddyhoops

Ireland on 12:33 - Sep 5 by WatfordR

Thing is, the style of football has to change not only to be successful, but to have any chance of appealing to future generations of players. Charlton, McCarthy, Trap, O'Neill, they've all played negative, long ball football that has diminished in effect with a diminishing pool of talent to choose from.

We've seen at QPR how it's taken Warbs a long time to start to get results allied to playing football the way he - and we - would want our team to play. It's taken more than two years to get our senior squad right on the field, and since relegation from the Prem to get the lower levels right to support the seniors, and it's still going to take a decade or more of continuing to do the right things the right way before we'll have a chance of establishing ourselves in the Prem.

At international level, Ireland will (for the moment) have a much smaller pool of players to look at, and less games and time together to establish a new identity and way of playing.

I guess what I'm saying is, Kenny would appear to have the right idea about how he'd like to play, but the tools he has at his disposal are very raw and limited, so it's going to take time. If he's get a perceived "free hit" for the moment, then that's probably fair, unless there is someone else that could be realistically employed to take his place that can guarantee taking the team in the same direction with better immediate results. And I'm not sure that's the case.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 12:34]

Very good points Myke.
Much as I'd like see us play fabulous football we don't have the tools to do that but relying on centre half's to get us goals from set pieces is the whole irony of the debacle.
1 point from home games against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan is not remotely good enough .
I'd give Kenny till the end of the campaign and see where we are .
Can't see it Changing mind!!
Ireland on 21:19 - Sep 5 with 1965 viewsMyke

Ireland on 13:45 - Sep 5 by Paddyhoops

Very good points Myke.
Much as I'd like see us play fabulous football we don't have the tools to do that but relying on centre half's to get us goals from set pieces is the whole irony of the debacle.
1 point from home games against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan is not remotely good enough .
I'd give Kenny till the end of the campaign and see where we are .
Can't see it Changing mind!!

Very good points indeed, but all credit goes to Watford
Ireland on 01:14 - Sep 6 with 1888 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Sick of it.

Just an overwhelming feeling of dread for this Team after getting nothing from this game after being a few minutes away from one of our greatest victories ever IMO.
Both headers were superb but the lead up play should have been stopped in its tracks without those crosses ever happening .
As for the non red for Ronaldo I take off my green glasses and admit it should have been 2 yellows as far as i could see .Kicking the ball off the spot was just stupid then going down holding his face even worse and deserved a tellow while CR deserved one for the lash out .
Update.
We just scraped a point against some team ranked way down at home and if Serbia beat us its the end of the road for Kenny i believe .As my late Father used to say "God help us we are useless "
Ireland on 02:16 - Sep 6 with 1876 viewsBoston

Ireland on 01:14 - Sep 6 by CLAREMAN1995

Just an overwhelming feeling of dread for this Team after getting nothing from this game after being a few minutes away from one of our greatest victories ever IMO.
Both headers were superb but the lead up play should have been stopped in its tracks without those crosses ever happening .
As for the non red for Ronaldo I take off my green glasses and admit it should have been 2 yellows as far as i could see .Kicking the ball off the spot was just stupid then going down holding his face even worse and deserved a tellow while CR deserved one for the lash out .
Update.
We just scraped a point against some team ranked way down at home and if Serbia beat us its the end of the road for Kenny i believe .As my late Father used to say "God help us we are useless "

Whatever happened to the word banjaxed?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ireland on 19:27 - Sep 7 with 1694 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've only just learned that Serbia's weekend game was a friendly and that they rotated their team, whereas we looked tired by the end of Saturday's game. Another moment's pause.

Thoughts on Tonight's selection:

Coleman's injury a reprieve for McClean (Manning must not be impressing in training if McClean, who was well off on Saturday, holds his place)

Brown will drop deeper than that, Shirley - McGrath to push forward?

Disappointed to see Hendrick in again - would have preferred Hourihane.

Good to see three actual centre-backs.

Would like to see Egan pick up Mitrovic, but we probably will zone him.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ireland on 19:42 - Sep 7 with 1678 viewsWatfordR

I think the only hope here is an early goal tbh.
Ireland on 21:40 - Sep 7 with 1632 viewsWatfordR

Ireland on 19:42 - Sep 7 by WatfordR

I think the only hope here is an early goal tbh.

That's a very decent result imo, after Saturday and going a goal down tonight. Wouldn't have fancied anything other than a Serbian win from 1-0 down.

Very well done.
Ireland on 21:46 - Sep 7 with 1609 viewsTomS

Fair play to them. They got stuck in and what they lacked in quality, they more than made up for in enthusiasm and determination. It was great to hear the crowd get behind the team.
Ireland on 01:12 - Sep 8 with 1489 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Ireland on 21:46 - Sep 7 by TomS

Fair play to them. They got stuck in and what they lacked in quality, they more than made up for in enthusiasm and determination. It was great to hear the crowd get behind the team.

That is an excellent post TomS but only for our superb 19 year old keeper playing brilliant it would have been a whipping.Ironically the one thing that ireland have in abundance (incredible heart ) keeps pulling late goals out of the bag but just covering up the cracks .
Most if not all games involving end uo 1-0 or 1-1 or sometimes if we get really lucky its 2 goals for us and that simply is not good enough at International level.
2 points in the bank after 5 games is a pretty poor return against this group of opponents
Ireland on 16:00 - Sep 8 with 1327 viewsdenhamhoop2

Not sure how anyone expects much more from a team which has 2 Norwich City Reserves a St Mirren player an Anderlecht player(They finished 18 points off top of an extremely weak league) and with a Wycombe player to come off the bench to change things. Still think Kenny looks out of his depth to me but this is not a team where the manager can call David O'Leary and John Aldridge off the bench.
Ireland on 17:01 - Sep 8 with 1292 viewsTomS

We can debate why the quality of international football has declined considerably over the last 30 years or so. The reasons are many and varied. The bottom line is that Irish players are not getting as many opportunities to play for the top English clubs as was the case in previous generations. Limited access to regular top level coaching, limits development and limits the ability of the players selected for their country to compete at a level demanded by fans who have unreasonable expectations.

Ireland could do with a few midfielders who have the ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck and boss the centre of the pitch. A poacher up front would be very welcome too. Collins might be the short term answer there, but he hasn't really been given a chance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024