Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Push Up Brentford ! 15:01 - Sep 3 with 4506 viewscolinallcars

Anyone watch this on Together TV ? An enjoyable look at supporting a club from the fans' perspective.
Lots of references to us and Bus Stop In Hounslow.
I wish they'd do a similar show about us.
Push Up Brentford ! on 18:22 - Sep 7 with 720 viewshantssi

I don’t believe we’ve ever really only had a rivalry with Brentford, I really only recall it surfacing in Div 2 under Holloway and I've been following us since the late 60’s.
As far as I’m concerned our real rivalry is with Chelsea although they might not feel the same way though.
Push Up Brentford ! on 18:39 - Sep 7 with 703 viewsNewBee

Push Up Brentford ! on 18:22 - Sep 7 by hantssi

I don’t believe we’ve ever really only had a rivalry with Brentford, I really only recall it surfacing in Div 2 under Holloway and I've been following us since the late 60’s.
As far as I’m concerned our real rivalry is with Chelsea although they might not feel the same way though.

"As far as I’m concerned our real rivalry is with Chelsea although they might not feel the same way though."

Exactly.

Fulham also consider Chelsea to be their "rivals", while Chelsea fans will tell you Spurs are theirs (as do WHU, though they also absolutely hate Millwall with a passion), while Spurs fans will insist it's Arsenal.

Which is why, whatever the state of current relations, when asked who Brentford's "rivals" are, I go with the "traditional" and "local" elements of the term and nominate QPR.

But it hardly matters greatly in the grand scheme of things, no? (Or not to me, at least)
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 18:43]
Push Up Brentford ! on 18:49 - Sep 7 with 692 viewshantssi

Push Up Brentford ! on 18:39 - Sep 7 by NewBee

"As far as I’m concerned our real rivalry is with Chelsea although they might not feel the same way though."

Exactly.

Fulham also consider Chelsea to be their "rivals", while Chelsea fans will tell you Spurs are theirs (as do WHU, though they also absolutely hate Millwall with a passion), while Spurs fans will insist it's Arsenal.

Which is why, whatever the state of current relations, when asked who Brentford's "rivals" are, I go with the "traditional" and "local" elements of the term and nominate QPR.

But it hardly matters greatly in the grand scheme of things, no? (Or not to me, at least)
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 18:43]

Think you’re right NB, most Chelsea fans I know actually have a soft spot for us that’s why I caveated what I said.
Push Up Brentford ! on 20:18 - Sep 7 with 631 viewsJuzzie

Newbee…. The Palace/Brighton rivalry stems from an ill tempered Boxing day clash a few decades ago rather than any geographical reasons.

Your understanding of the Brentford/QPR situation is a lot clearer than other Brentford fans portray it as. I just wish certain fans such as the goon with the microphone who just keeps stirring the s**t would get over it too.

“However, instead of putting it on the market, he approached Jim Gregory (or JG approached him?) to discuss a "merger". This appealed to QPR, since GP had a bigger capacity than Loftus Road (and greater development potential?) While QPR could benefit from selling off LR, as a bonus.”

Dunnett approached Gregory and this is very much the key thing….. it completely changes the whole context.

It was instigated by Brentford, not QPR, yet we were made out to be the agitators and still are to this day.
Had Dunnett not done this or Gregory simply said “nah, thanks”. Then Brentford would probably have folded.

Gregory said he’d “think about it” because there were certain aspects that may have appealed, namely a bigger ground/site at the time than Loftus Road.

The newspapers latched onto this because, as we know, sensationalism sells. “Brentford try to sell themselves to QPR” doesn’t quite have the same impact as “QPR in Brentford takeover”. The media flipped the context around.

You have Brentford players from 67 still saying how they remember reading the papers that day and couldn’t believe what was happening.

It works, the media can distort the truth.

You’re right that maybe some Bees fans harbour over it (too much) because Gregory simply didn’t say no but actually he did you a favour. By getting the sensationalist newspaper headlines, it galvanised the fans who rallied to save the club. Would the club have survived had Dunnett not approach QPR or Gregory simply said no and therefore no newspaper headlines? Maybe not as he had a big tax bill to pay too so might have just folded it and sold the land to a developer.

You should actually be thanking us!
Push Up Brentford ! on 20:37 - Sep 7 with 598 viewscolinallcars

Strangely, although I'd been a supporter for some ten years by 1967, I don't have much recollection of what went on. However, they were my short lived hippy days and it was The Summer Of Love, so I might have been out of it.
They say if you can remember the sixties….you can't have been there.
Push Up Brentford ! on 22:03 - Sep 7 with 535 viewsHanwellHoopster

In the 30 odd years I've been coming to Loftus Road I've never once heard us sing about Brentford outside of a game against them. I think I've heard us sing about Chelsea every time I've been. Isn't that all we need to say on the topic?
Push Up Brentford ! on 22:06 - Sep 7 with 532 viewsCiderwithRsie

Push Up Brentford ! on 22:03 - Sep 7 by HanwellHoopster

In the 30 odd years I've been coming to Loftus Road I've never once heard us sing about Brentford outside of a game against them. I think I've heard us sing about Chelsea every time I've been. Isn't that all we need to say on the topic?

Well, yeah, except for the constant stream of threads about them on here.

TBF this one is supposed to be about a decent little documentary about a proper local club which just happens to be bloody Brentford and presumably might have got a mention if it'd been e.g. Orient or Huddersfield.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024