Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not the finished article 20:21 - Dec 5 with 1841 viewskernowhoop

Ours is still a great team to watch and neutrals watching on Sky must be well entertained. The attacking play is easy on the eye and the scoring record speaks for itself. Defensively, we have also improved this season. My guess is that fewer teams score against us from corners, free kicks etc. But, we are not the finished article. We have a weakness from counter-attacks that Derby and Stoke exposed and others have exploited, too. I suspect that we are known for it. It must worry the boss. I sense that it would be far too simple to blame it on the last line of defenders. I have no idea how to fix it without messing up the team's attacking threat, but I hope he has. How would you fix it?
Not the finished article on 20:36 - Dec 5 with 1765 viewsbosh67

He said in the interview they are sloppy at looking after the ball in the midfield on the turn. They tend to get dispossessed too often and pay for it. Stop that and we don't get split.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Not the finished article on 20:36 - Dec 5 with 1765 viewsLogman

I'm not sure. Its not an easy one.

The easy answer is to get faster defenders in. But are they better defenders ? Not necessarily so.

Another possible answer is to get the centre centre back (Dunne or de Wijs) deeper so that they can cover if one of the other centre backs get out-paced but that concedes more space to the oppo and allows them get more forward and play through us.

What would you do ?
Not the finished article on 21:02 - Dec 5 with 1619 viewsHooparoo

Not the finished article on 20:36 - Dec 5 by Logman

The easy answer is to get faster defenders in. But are they better defenders ? Not necessarily so.

Another possible answer is to get the centre centre back (Dunne or de Wijs) deeper so that they can cover if one of the other centre backs get out-paced but that concedes more space to the oppo and allows them get more forward and play through us.

What would you do ?

Try 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield. Crazy to play 5-3-2 with no recognised wing backs. We need to be a bit less predictable. Good thing is we can be happy with where we are half way through and we also know we can be even better which is a delicious prospect

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Not the finished article on 21:16 - Dec 5 with 1569 viewsStanisgod

Not the finished article on 20:36 - Dec 5 by bosh67

He said in the interview they are sloppy at looking after the ball in the midfield on the turn. They tend to get dispossessed too often and pay for it. Stop that and we don't get split.

Spot on. First goal a carbon copy of Derby, give ball away easy in our half, through ball past slow defenders, goal.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Not the finished article on 21:24 - Dec 5 with 1535 viewstraininvain

Not the finished article on 21:16 - Dec 5 by Stanisgod

Spot on. First goal a carbon copy of Derby, give ball away easy in our half, through ball past slow defenders, goal.

Can’t help but think that one of Dickie or Dunne should be attacking the ball to intercept the pass on both occasions while the other covers.

Maybe a communication issue as it looks like they were both caught in two minds and ended up neither attacking the ball nor properly covering.
Not the finished article on 03:22 - Dec 6 with 1240 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Not the finished article on 21:24 - Dec 5 by traininvain

Can’t help but think that one of Dickie or Dunne should be attacking the ball to intercept the pass on both occasions while the other covers.

Maybe a communication issue as it looks like they were both caught in two minds and ended up neither attacking the ball nor properly covering.

The first trick is to not cough up possession cheaply in the defensive or middle third. If possession is turned over cheaply then the defenders must be quicker to recognise the danger by dropping deep rather than attack the ball. Attacking the ball invites quick ball in behind which our defenders lack the pace to deal with.
Not the finished article on 12:50 - Dec 6 with 1000 viewsA40Bosh

Not the finished article on 20:36 - Dec 5 by Logman

What would you do ?

Warbs said during the Fans Forum that if we said we had to have defenders that were fast and never make mistakes then we would need to go and find them in the Prem and pay £50m each - with his usual "meaning no disrespect to my players"

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Not the finished article on 14:46 - Dec 6 with 800 viewsPinnerPaul

Not the finished article on 21:16 - Dec 5 by Stanisgod

MW's 'solution' was that once ball lost, defenders should drop deeper instead of either trying to win the ball back immediately and/or track the runners high up the pitch.
Login to get fewer ads

Not the finished article on 14:54 - Dec 6 with 773 viewsPinnerPaul

I still think we have a problem whereby we only seem to 'go for it' in the 2nd half.

Even MW says on the offy, Stoke and the crowd were ready for the 'onslaught' in the 2nd half.

That doesn't explain why we created next to nothing in the 35' after they scored in the first half.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024