Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congrats Konk 19:56 - Apr 2 with 4893 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not a nice feeling today, but made slightly easier knowing they're your team.

Thought Fulham were very impressive.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Congrats Konk on 10:10 - Apr 4 with 1226 viewsterryb

Congrats Konk on 10:48 - Apr 3 by stevenagehoop

Bit of an over the top comparison there. Marsh was a steal at 15k but was a risky signing at the time – we took that chance whilst others didn’t and the rest is history. Stanley was bought with the proceeds of the sale of Marsh - half of it I seem to recall - Gregory invested more than we’d had before but not to the extent that we were the Man City / Newcastle of those times - hardly buying your way to success. Today totally different and I’m afraid the proof is in the pudding with the number of teams that go back up after relegation. The problem was for a number of reasons including the hefty fine that we had to deal with we blew our money and are still paying the price for it. First division 3 team to win the league cup was something to be proud of and still is.

£15k from a third division club in 1966 being a steal? It was enormous money for us at the time! And it followed buying Langley & Allen. The money for Marsh was also nowhere close to what we paid for Bowles, Givens & Thomas. We were definitely regarded by our opponents as being the moneybags outside the top division.

Of course, we didn't just buy success. We had a mixture of expensive signings & players we had produced from our youth system. A perfect combination.
Congrats Konk on 10:29 - Apr 4 with 1174 viewsWatfordR

Congrats Konk on 21:25 - Apr 3 by Westy75

Let’s not kiss their arses too much. They were pretty good, no more than that. For a club with their resources it’s the least you would expect. Take Mitrovic out of that side and they’d be scrapping it out with the rest of us.

And take the dodgy penalty to out of yesterday and we could have easily nicked a draw. How about we get our chins up a bit yeah? We’re a mid-table championship club on our resources that has done pretty bloody well this season so far.

As a fella in SAR shouted while Mitrovic was b1tch-slapping Gavin Ward about after 2 minutes

"Why don't you just f@ck off back to the Prem, and do f@ck all. Again"

Nail on head I'd say. If Fulham had the same Mitrovic in the Prem as they do in the Championship, they'd be comfortably mid-Prem most seasons.
Congrats Konk on 10:42 - Apr 4 with 1159 viewsfrancisbowles

Congrats Konk on 21:25 - Apr 3 by Westy75

Let’s not kiss their arses too much. They were pretty good, no more than that. For a club with their resources it’s the least you would expect. Take Mitrovic out of that side and they’d be scrapping it out with the rest of us.

And take the dodgy penalty to out of yesterday and we could have easily nicked a draw. How about we get our chins up a bit yeah? We’re a mid-table championship club on our resources that has done pretty bloody well this season so far.

take out the word easily and replace with possibly and I agree with all that. Love the glass half full.
Congrats Konk on 10:47 - Apr 4 with 1140 viewsfrancisbowles

Congrats Konk on 10:29 - Apr 4 by WatfordR

As a fella in SAR shouted while Mitrovic was b1tch-slapping Gavin Ward about after 2 minutes

"Why don't you just f@ck off back to the Prem, and do f@ck all. Again"

Nail on head I'd say. If Fulham had the same Mitrovic in the Prem as they do in the Championship, they'd be comfortably mid-Prem most seasons.

Except it's not really true. His numbers in the top division are not too bad. (see Clive's match preview) If we had someone in this division, scoring what he does in that one, we would be delighted.

He's still only 27, if he gets the right service next season and stays as fit as he currently is, he will get a fair number of goals.
Congrats Konk on 10:53 - Apr 4 with 1122 viewsRs_Holy

Congrats Konk on 10:47 - Apr 4 by francisbowles

Except it's not really true. His numbers in the top division are not too bad. (see Clive's match preview) If we had someone in this division, scoring what he does in that one, we would be delighted.

He's still only 27, if he gets the right service next season and stays as fit as he currently is, he will get a fair number of goals.

yep properly world class. Just look at his figures for Serbia ... 44 goals in 71 games ... SERBIA ffs!!!
Congrats Konk on 11:54 - Apr 4 with 1015 viewsWatfordR

Congrats Konk on 10:47 - Apr 4 by francisbowles

It's 14 goals in 64 Prem appearances for Fulham, 15 in 70 if you include his stint at Newcastle. We have someone who scored 12 in 42 games for us last season, a good few off the bench, and delighted isn't a word I see on here very often about Lyndon Dykes.
Congrats Konk on 12:12 - Apr 4 with 981 viewsKonk

Cheers, Brian.

Quick thoughts on a few issues that people have raised:

Penalty - shouldn't have been given, but after the shocker given against us at Barnsley, possibly a case of swings and roundabouts. Not much consolation to you, though.

Parachute payments - Completely distort the competition, as does FFP, but without them, clubs getting promoted to the Prem would be even more doomed to failure than they often are at the moment. I'm sure more clubs seem to be in serious trouble since FFP was introduced. Not fit for purpose as it stands - I would love to see a sensible salary cap, but the big clubs would never go for it, or something like no FFP, but contracts having to be personally underwritten by owners, rather than the clubs (if that was at all possible).

Dissent/aggressive behaviour towards officials - I'd have the ref wearing a mic, as in rugby, and I reckon it would sort this out in a couple of weeks. Refs would have no option but to enforce the rules re dissent, and clubs/sponsors wouldn't want the PR disaster of players screaming abuse at officials being broadcast to the world.

Gamesmanship - I fu cking hate this. Harry Wilson has been very good for us, but fu ck me, does he like a dive, a moan, and giving it the large to opposition fans. All unnecessary and often counter-productive. Not sure why Mitro, Carvalho, and Wilson feel the need to wind-up opposition fans whenever we score in front of them. As with dissent, you see this becoming a big part of kids football now, because they absolutely do copy what they see. We were playing over the park the other day and my son's mate has mastered the art of leaving a leg out looking for a penalty. He's seven and pi ssing about over the park. Hearing pundits praising this sh it or cynical fouls winds me right up. Pretty depressing.

Mitrovic - Put him in a team with pace and a bit of attacking ambition, and I reckon he'll get a dozen-or-so goals in the Prem.

Our prospects next season (assuming we don't fu ck-up promotion) - Going-up via the play-offs, and in years with summer tournaments, makes things much more difficult. We could be up by mid-late April, there's no tournament this summer, and we'll hopefully be starting next season with an integrated and strengthened squad that's had a full pre-season together, rather than dropping in five new signings after we've played and lost the first few games. We've a much better coach than last time round, so I think we've got better prospects than our last couple of seasons in the Prem. We'll have 1,000 fans back in the Riverside too, and the hostile atmosphere they're sure to generate, has to be worth about twenty points. Either way, I don't think we'll disgrace ourselves (except on the cardboard clapper front).

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Congrats Konk on 12:25 - Apr 4 with 923 viewsKonk

Congrats Konk on 11:54 - Apr 4 by WatfordR

It's 14 goals in 64 Prem appearances for Fulham, 15 in 70 if you include his stint at Newcastle. We have someone who scored 12 in 42 games for us last season, a good few off the bench, and delighted isn't a word I see on here very often about Lyndon Dykes.

Mitro's PL stats:

15/16 - NUFC - 9/34 (22 starts)
17/18 - NUFC - 1/6 (0 starts)
18/19 - FFC - 11/37 (37 starts)
20/21 - FFC - 3/27 (13 starts)

Take out last year and that's not a bad record. Last season we were the most pedestrian side in the universe, slowly moving the ball backwards and forwards across our box with zero interest in moving the ball forward quickly. Mitrovic looked off the pace in the Championship when football came back after the Covid break, and didn't look at all right last season. It was very well known by everyone connected with the club, that Parker and Mitrovic didn't get on, so, personally, I'm inclined to ignore what happened last time round. His record for Serbia also shows he can score against quality defences.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Login to get fewer ads

Congrats Konk on 18:47 - Apr 4 with 693 viewsstevenagehoop

Congrats Konk on 12:12 - Apr 4 by Konk

Cheers, Brian.

Quick thoughts on a few issues that people have raised:

Penalty - shouldn't have been given, but after the shocker given against us at Barnsley, possibly a case of swings and roundabouts. Not much consolation to you, though.

Parachute payments - Completely distort the competition, as does FFP, but without them, clubs getting promoted to the Prem would be even more doomed to failure than they often are at the moment. I'm sure more clubs seem to be in serious trouble since FFP was introduced. Not fit for purpose as it stands - I would love to see a sensible salary cap, but the big clubs would never go for it, or something like no FFP, but contracts having to be personally underwritten by owners, rather than the clubs (if that was at all possible).

Dissent/aggressive behaviour towards officials - I'd have the ref wearing a mic, as in rugby, and I reckon it would sort this out in a couple of weeks. Refs would have no option but to enforce the rules re dissent, and clubs/sponsors wouldn't want the PR disaster of players screaming abuse at officials being broadcast to the world.

Gamesmanship - I fu cking hate this. Harry Wilson has been very good for us, but fu ck me, does he like a dive, a moan, and giving it the large to opposition fans. All unnecessary and often counter-productive. Not sure why Mitro, Carvalho, and Wilson feel the need to wind-up opposition fans whenever we score in front of them. As with dissent, you see this becoming a big part of kids football now, because they absolutely do copy what they see. We were playing over the park the other day and my son's mate has mastered the art of leaving a leg out looking for a penalty. He's seven and pi ssing about over the park. Hearing pundits praising this sh it or cynical fouls winds me right up. Pretty depressing.

Mitrovic - Put him in a team with pace and a bit of attacking ambition, and I reckon he'll get a dozen-or-so goals in the Prem.

Our prospects next season (assuming we don't fu ck-up promotion) - Going-up via the play-offs, and in years with summer tournaments, makes things much more difficult. We could be up by mid-late April, there's no tournament this summer, and we'll hopefully be starting next season with an integrated and strengthened squad that's had a full pre-season together, rather than dropping in five new signings after we've played and lost the first few games. We've a much better coach than last time round, so I think we've got better prospects than our last couple of seasons in the Prem. We'll have 1,000 fans back in the Riverside too, and the hostile atmosphere they're sure to generate, has to be worth about twenty points. Either way, I don't think we'll disgrace ourselves (except on the cardboard clapper front).

On the dissent point don’t even think you need a mic , although wouldn’t be against it, consistent enforcement and a yardage penalty would sort it out. When it was introduced into rugby it wasn’t welcomed but now is universally accepted.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024