Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Five subs, Good or bad? 22:25 - Jul 11 with 5125 viewsVancouverHoop

Off the top It seems that it'll favour teams with talent in depth... ie. not QPR. OTOH it may give us a chance to see what some of our younger players can do in a first team environment.

I think a knock-on should, and maybe will, be the introduction of an official timer to track stoppages. There are too many as it is, and while adding two or three minutes at the refs discretion is maybe acceptable, five or six or more is courting controversy.
Five subs, Good or bad? on 14:58 - Jul 13 with 1145 viewsPinnerPaul

Five subs, Good or bad? on 15:00 - Jul 12 by daveB

They were 8-0 up at the time so no need for wasting time, see the difference when you get to the knockouts if England are 1-0, I doubt we'll be rushing anything

Austria?

Going to have one of our rare disagreements Dave, very little game management there and we were only 1-0 up.

Did an open age friendly last night, 2-1 the score, no time wasting, why, because it was a friendly - to deny its not possible is nonsense, of course it is - its down to the players, not the refs or IFAB!
Five subs, Good or bad? on 15:01 - Jul 13 with 1130 viewsPinnerPaul

Five subs, Good or bad? on 18:25 - Jul 12 by denhamhoop2

Have a look at Ellen White's tumble for the penalty and calling womens football top class sport is pushing it a lot when one of the superstars of the womens game can actually get a game in the Vanarama League and look good get back to me

Different sex, different physical capabilities - its like calling all women athletes sub standard because they can't beat a decent male club runner - nonsense argument.
Five subs, Good or bad? on 15:59 - Jul 13 with 1079 viewsTheChef

Five subs, Good or bad? on 15:01 - Jul 13 by PinnerPaul

Different sex, different physical capabilities - its like calling all women athletes sub standard because they can't beat a decent male club runner - nonsense argument.

Indeed.

"Have a look at Ellen White's tumble for the penalty"

You're right Denham, she can dive just as well as the men

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Five subs, Good or bad? on 16:21 - Jul 13 with 1052 viewsGaxZE

Horrendous in my opinion. Means all the big teams will hoarde more players than they currently do. Like FFP, keeping the elite at the top and everybody else further down.
Five subs, Good or bad? on 16:44 - Jul 13 with 1021 viewsVancouverHoop

Five subs, Good or bad? on 09:42 - Jul 13 by francisbowles

That seems a bit random VH, watching a 69 year old match in it's entirety. Was it planned or did it just appear in front of you? Rainy day on the west coast?

Someone recommended it. And, for most of my football watching life, it's been flagged as the pivotal game at least so far as English football is concerned. I'm 74, so too young to have been aware of it at the time, but it was referenced regularly by my father and others of his generation. Up until then there was a general assumption that it was "our game" and we were better at it than anyone else. The Hungarians chewed that notion up and spat it out in 90 minutes. For any one interested in football's historical development it's well worth a watch.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2022 16:44]
Five subs, Good or bad? on 16:53 - Jul 13 with 1017 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Yeh the system is weighted towards the bigger clubs but that just means the others have to think outside the box and adapt to the situation. A bit like how we sunk the mighty Spanish Armada by using smaller more maneuverable ships

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Five subs, Good or bad? on 09:47 - Jul 14 with 904 viewsfrancisbowles

Five subs, Good or bad? on 16:44 - Jul 13 by VancouverHoop

Someone recommended it. And, for most of my football watching life, it's been flagged as the pivotal game at least so far as English football is concerned. I'm 74, so too young to have been aware of it at the time, but it was referenced regularly by my father and others of his generation. Up until then there was a general assumption that it was "our game" and we were better at it than anyone else. The Hungarians chewed that notion up and spat it out in 90 minutes. For any one interested in football's historical development it's well worth a watch.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2022 16:44]

Thanks VH. I didn't realise film of the 90 mins existed. I'll try and find time to search out and watch. The story of those two matches and their run to a WC final a year later, is legendary.

Shame for them it dissipated soon after and they haven't been a major force since.
Five subs, Good or bad? on 15:32 - Jul 14 with 771 viewsPinnerPaul

Sweden v Switzerland - Sweden 2-1 up, attacking right to the end.

Yes a little more risky, but actually uses up more time than the nonsense we see in the professional men's game.
Login to get fewer ads

Five subs, Good or bad? on 21:18 - Jul 14 with 685 viewsVancouverHoop

Five subs, Good or bad? on 09:47 - Jul 14 by francisbowles

Thanks VH. I didn't realise film of the 90 mins existed. I'll try and find time to search out and watch. The story of those two matches and their run to a WC final a year later, is legendary.

Shame for them it dissipated soon after and they haven't been a major force since.

Here's the match if you're interested:

There's also a better quality version with Hungarian commentary, but Kenneth Wolstenholme's commentary is worth the price of admission: eg: "Goalkeeper Gilbert Merrick is the only English First Division player who wears a moustache." Fascinating!

He also, often unknowingly, provides excellent and genuinely astonished context for the difference between the two teams. "Hidegkuti is centre forward but he's back playing defence!" and "Astonishingly the right winger keeps popping on the left side!

Even if you don't watch the whole match the first 15 minutes or so are worthwhile. By that time Hungary are two goals up and the second set up by Puskas, is a beauty. It seemed to knock the wind out of the England's players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024