Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next manager and reasons why... 17:17 - Aug 18 with 78222 viewsSheffield_dale

Shame it didn't work for Robbie. IMO he didn't get the team prepared for the season and unfortunately deserves to go. I can understand what he wanted to achieve with the formation but didn't coach them well enough/quick enough to put it into action. We would be too far adrift before things clicked into place.

So, who do we want next.

I'll throw in a suggestion.

Dave Artell.

Steadily built up a Crewe team on a low budget and got promoted.

Not perfect by any means but he would be within our budget and has decent L2 experience and success.

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:04 - Aug 22 with 3090 views49thseason

Next manager and reasons why... on 15:34 - Aug 22 by sweetcorn

That's what happens at clubs like Rochdale. Our good players leave to bigger and better things or have you missed that?

Every board we've ever had have sold our players and lost players to the Highest bidder, its not a justification for his replacements being sub par.

Make all the excuses you want for him, it doesn't change the facts that he wasn't up to it.

The problem starts when too many key players are all allowed to leave at once without being competently replaced, not neccessarily like for like, but it didnt take a genius to see that losing 5 of our best players in a single season would require some replacements who could do a proper job. Not neccessarily the same job, but nonetheless a job perhaps in a somewhat reshuffled side. Ensuring that the team still had enough about it to successfully compete is the top priority, otherwise in respect of relegation there is no net increase in money in the accounts, the fee received simply cancelled by the losses from relegation. Ultimately a club has to develop income streams other than transfers or it is simply treading water at best or sinking at worst.
Next manager and reasons why... on 19:27 - Aug 22 with 2950 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 15:36 - Aug 22 by sweetcorn

Yes it counts, what sort of nonsense statement is that? He signed players with the clubs money, it may have been late in the window, but he deemed them good enough and signed them.

He wasn't going to sign no one though was he and it has been well documented we missed out on Stockdale's first choice signings last summer's transfer window.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:43 - Aug 22 with 2860 viewsalderleydale

Next manager and reasons why... on 18:26 - Aug 22 by James1980

Surely you would considered Fitzochris as a very well respected member of the message board.

It’s an old adage but football is a game of opinions I prefer to use my own eyes and form
my own opinions based on playing football till the age of 43 and watching Rochdale since 1959
You should try it sometime..,,,, Oh hang on you hardly ever see a game do you.
Next manager and reasons why... on 19:46 - Aug 22 with 2835 viewskel

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:43 - Aug 22 by alderleydale

It’s an old adage but football is a game of opinions I prefer to use my own eyes and form
my own opinions based on playing football till the age of 43 and watching Rochdale since 1959

Very harsh. He posts on Twitter most weeks that he’s travelling to home games and it’s a very long way for him. Attendance doesn’t make anyone a better or worse fan than anyone else and neither does how long they’ve been a supporter.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2022 19:49]
Next manager and reasons why... on 19:49 - Aug 22 with 2805 viewsalderleydale

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:46 - Aug 22 by kel

Very harsh. He posts on Twitter most weeks that he’s travelling to home games and it’s a very long way for him. Attendance doesn’t make anyone a better or worse fan than anyone else and neither does how long they’ve been a supporter.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2022 19:49]

Bollocks,
They were playing almost in his backyard only a week ago and he said he couldn’t change shifts.
Do me a favour.
Next manager and reasons why... on 19:54 - Aug 22 with 2770 viewsgolfaduffy

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:49 - Aug 22 by alderleydale

Bollocks,
They were playing almost in his backyard only a week ago and he said he couldn’t change shifts.
Do me a favour.

Incredibly harsh.
Next manager and reasons why... on 19:54 - Aug 22 with 2764 viewskel

Bollocks,
Do me a favour.

Ok. What’s the relevance regarding how long you’ve been going?
Next manager and reasons why... on 19:55 - Aug 22 with 2769 viewsrichfoad32

I think James was merely pointing out that a lot of people were very happy with the recruitment at the deadline (including myself), and for one reason or another it hasn't quite panned out as we'd like.

I think.
Login to get fewer ads

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:55 - Aug 22 with 2763 viewsBrierls

James get's to plenty of games, home (which are like long away days for him) and away. Question and challenge his posts and views by all means, but don't pull him up for missing some games.

Is this you?....

"I’m approaching 70 and live in Cheshire, so at my age for one reason or another I’m not going to get to every home game these days.
I wanted to go on Saturday (late decision due to my circumstances) but couldn’t be bothered because like other older people on here it’s far too much hassle pissing about online.
Like the OP I want to turn up at 2.30ish pay cash buy a pie and a brew(with cash)
The club needs to realise quickly we are not all IT consultants or even computer literate.
I can’t be bothered sorting tickets out for tomorrow either."

Do me a favour, indeed.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2022 19:57]
Next manager and reasons why... on 20:01 - Aug 22 with 2708 viewskel

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:55 - Aug 22 by Brierls

James get's to plenty of games, home (which are like long away days for him) and away. Question and challenge his posts and views by all means, but don't pull him up for missing some games.

Is this you?....

"I’m approaching 70 and live in Cheshire, so at my age for one reason or another I’m not going to get to every home game these days.
I wanted to go on Saturday (late decision due to my circumstances) but couldn’t be bothered because like other older people on here it’s far too much hassle pissing about online.
Like the OP I want to turn up at 2.30ish pay cash buy a pie and a brew(with cash)
The club needs to realise quickly we are not all IT consultants or even computer literate.
I can’t be bothered sorting tickets out for tomorrow either."

Do me a favour, indeed.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2022 19:57]

Bollocks, it’s in his back yard.
Next manager and reasons why... on 20:08 - Aug 22 with 2678 viewsTVOS1907

Bollocks,
Do me a favour.

Maybe he couldn't change shifts. Perhaps his work doesn't allow it and it's imperative that he doesn't rock the boat with his employers.

I'm not sure if James drives either (he's never mentioned it), so he could be reliant on trains, which are a bit unreliable at the moment.

He does well to get to as many games as he does, to be honest. He might even get to more games than some people who live round the corner from Spotland.

I don't agree with everything he says about Dale, but his commitment to the cause shouldn't be questioned.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:16 - Aug 22 with 2610 views442Dale

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:08 - Aug 22 by TVOS1907

Maybe he couldn't change shifts. Perhaps his work doesn't allow it and it's imperative that he doesn't rock the boat with his employers.

I'm not sure if James drives either (he's never mentioned it), so he could be reliant on trains, which are a bit unreliable at the moment.

He does well to get to as many games as he does, to be honest. He might even get to more games than some people who live round the corner from Spotland.

I don't agree with everything he says about Dale, but his commitment to the cause shouldn't be questioned.

The commitment from James to the club is certainly greater than mine when it comes to attending games.

I’ll gladly challenge his opinions but that’s what this place is about, but we really shouldn’t be calling each other out on the lengths we go to to support the club at a time like this.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:18 - Aug 22 with 2590 views442Dale

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:55 - Aug 22 by richfoad32

I think James was merely pointing out that a lot of people were very happy with the recruitment at the deadline (including myself), and for one reason or another it hasn't quite panned out as we'd like.

I think.

This is a really good analysis. The recruitment was received positively by many, so far it hasn’t turned out to be what we’d hoped.

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:25 - Aug 22 with 2527 views442Dale

Really not sure what you’re trying to say but go back and see how many times James has been challenged time and again by posters on here.

There were time when BBM was here that I’d be continually pulling apart his views. Hopefully he saw that was done in a respectful way. It’s not that hard.

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:30 - Aug 22 with 2485 views442Dale

Back to next manager/the current state of affairs: watching United provides a reasonable idea about what’s required. Castigated for a lack of quality and fight, dubious choices when passing around at the back last week and at a point where many fans were looking at a squad that was nowhere near good enough.

Whatever happens eventually in this Liverpool game, the first half hour illustrates how you react to that. Playing to their strengths with mobile front players, midfielders putting a shift in (even Fernandes winning tackles) and De Gea continually going long from goal kicks so the game can be played in the other half; it negates so many unnecessary issues when you utilise what you’ve got. Even when it includes Scott McTominay.

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:32 - Aug 22 with 2463 viewskel

Homophobic too. Ooze class don’t you?
Next manager and reasons why... on 20:35 - Aug 22 with 2423 viewsTVOS1907

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:32 - Aug 22 by kel

Homophobic too. Ooze class don’t you?

Looks like he's gone, Kev.

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:37 - Aug 22 with 2391 viewskel

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:35 - Aug 22 by TVOS1907

Looks like he's gone, Kev.

Looks online to me. Maybe racism is next on the list.
Next manager and reasons why... on 20:54 - Aug 22 with 2281 viewsKnavesmireBob

On the John Askey link, been speaking to a few York City mates over here tonight and they'd all be surprised and gutted if he left, he's become really popular in a short space of time after their playoff win last year. They're finally quite settled for the first time in years having been through an ownership change not dissimilar to our issues the last couple of years. 3-4k attendances even when in National League North, tidy new stadium etc.

So on the face of it would seem a bit of a risk to leave a club with forward momentum when only been there a few months and popular, albeit I guess he knows how hard it is to get out of the 5th tier and the pull of league football must be tempting. Dunno if he's still living in the North West, if so the travel might be a factor too. Anyway, let's see but there'd be plenty of disappointed Yorkies if he was to leave the city walls for San Spotty.
Next manager and reasons why... on 20:57 - Aug 22 with 2226 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 18:52 - Aug 22 by Brierls

What is your point, James?

Many fans were happy with business done in January, as it was a sign that the board were true to their word of re-investing in the playing squad. On paper, signings looked to be what we needed.

It's not the fans job to sign players that are up to standard. That is the job of the manager. Why would a January transfer window, where Dale spent £££ on fees for three players, not count as far as judgement goes?!

**Edit** I just realised you were referring to the summer of 2021, not 2022. That first window was incredibly difficult, but points made still stand. Discount the first window, he still had two windows where he had time to plan and spent serious money by Dale standards. If we're not counting the first transfer window, we're not counting the points and some encouraging performances on the board before January. You can't have your cake and eat it! The results and performances got worse, not better. I'm really trying to stay away from "you're new, you don't understand", but Stockdale had seriously good backing from the board compared to other managers over the years. It's not the time for hypothetical nonsense questions, they serve no purpose other than antagonising other fans.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2022 19:47]

I have no intention antagonising anyone apologies if that is what I have done. I don't think the posts you refer to are hypothetical.
Regarding the signings in January, sorry Chris for using your tweets. My point was someone with better knowledge of the footballing world than the average message board contributor was impressed with the players we had got in that window. That perhaps RS is not the ignoramus he is being accused of being when it comes to signing players and that with the right training, tactics and a modicum of confidence we might have a team that can at least secure another year in the EFL

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:58 - Aug 22 with 2224 viewsTVOS1907

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:54 - Aug 22 by KnavesmireBob

On the John Askey link, been speaking to a few York City mates over here tonight and they'd all be surprised and gutted if he left, he's become really popular in a short space of time after their playoff win last year. They're finally quite settled for the first time in years having been through an ownership change not dissimilar to our issues the last couple of years. 3-4k attendances even when in National League North, tidy new stadium etc.

So on the face of it would seem a bit of a risk to leave a club with forward momentum when only been there a few months and popular, albeit I guess he knows how hard it is to get out of the 5th tier and the pull of league football must be tempting. Dunno if he's still living in the North West, if so the travel might be a factor too. Anyway, let's see but there'd be plenty of disappointed Yorkies if he was to leave the city walls for San Spotty.

What do they think of their new ground, Bob?

Next manager and reasons why... on 21:05 - Aug 22 with 2167 viewsJames1980

I've been a season ticket holder since the 2017/18 not as many years as you, I know But to accuse me of not going to a game is way off the mark.

Next manager and reasons why... on 21:06 - Aug 22 with 2158 viewsTalkingSutty

Next manager and reasons why... on 19:55 - Aug 22 by richfoad32

I think.

I'll throw my hat in the ring also, i thought Stockdale had recruited well. To be honest i still think he has signed some good players and i haven't given up on them so early in the season, i think things will improve.

I like the new keeper and i like Charman/ Rodney/ Campbell/ Hendo/ and that fella from Morecambe. Kelly and Ball frustrate me but there is a good player in Ball.and Kelly has a touch of class, i question both there fitness levels though. If we could defend a set piece the defence isn't a bad one. It's a group of players that need leadership and direction though, a clear style of play...so we need a experienced manager.

I predicted we might have a chance of the play offs a few weeks ago so i must have liked the signings. Shows how much i know about football🙂. James, you're as much a loyal Dale fan as any of us so take no notice of any posts questioning your loyalty👍
Next manager and reasons why... on 21:19 - Aug 22 with 2057 viewsBrierls

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:57 - Aug 22 by James1980

I have no intention antagonising anyone apologies if that is what I have done. I don't think the posts you refer to are hypothetical.
Regarding the signings in January, sorry Chris for using your tweets. My point was someone with better knowledge of the footballing world than the average message board contributor was impressed with the players we had got in that window. That perhaps RS is not the ignoramus he is being accused of being when it comes to signing players and that with the right training, tactics and a modicum of confidence we might have a team that can at least secure another year in the EFL

It was Stockdale’s job to know what he was signing and how to get the best out of them. Fans can offer opinions, and they were mostly positive in January as we were trusting the managers judgement. The huge positive for me was Dale shelling out good fees for players, it generated a feel good factor.

I also don’t buy into the view that the whole squad is rubbish and we’re doomed, so I agree some organisation and fight will hopefully see us right. I must admit, I’m more hopeful of getting a tune out of summer signings than I am of the January signings. The jury is out on Campbell, he may come good playing in a two, but unfortunately I think Charman and Ball have been non league standard no matter how much I don’t want them to be.

Forget about what went before with Stockdale, the focus has to be on the new manager. He’ll have to be more motivator or psychologist then tactician!
Next manager and reasons why... on 21:20 - Aug 22 with 2039 viewsD_Alien

I too think we've got the basis of a side that can compete in L2, given the right management

One aspect of recruitment i would question is the overuse of young loanees. We're in no position to be giving promising youngsters experience, unless they're home grown. There's no loyalty to the club and their experience from the academies of major clubs is a world away from what's required

They can all go back for me, but no qualms if the new manager thinks he can get them busting a gut. Most of all, i just want to see a team with a proper Dale identity that's not wet behind the ears

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024