Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lombok & Gili Islands 16:04 - Oct 14 with 2881 viewsLoftusR

Thinking about a family trip to Lombok and Gili Islands next year. I went there 30 odd years ago as a scruffy backpacker. There wasn't much more than bamboo cottages and magic mushrooms. Has anyone been more recently? Any recommendations places to stay, eat or visit? Is it still worth a visit?
Lombok & Gili Islands on 17:04 - Oct 14 with 2802 viewsPlanetHonneywood

You know what they say about going back....

My first travels in 1990 saw my mate and I eventually arrive in Indonesia, with a plan to push east from Jakarta as far as we could before heading to Oz.

But err, umm, after Java we never made it past Kuta beach! And never got to Lombok and Flores. Admittedly my mate and I had a cool hut right on the beach, so it wasn't exactly a two week gulag.

Anyway, in 2010 my mate returned to Bali and hated what had happened to the place, and couldn't wait to leave. So if you have happy memories, you might want to keep them that way.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Lombok & Gili Islands on 22:40 - Oct 14 with 2656 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Make sure you visit the Straits of Johor while you are there.

No paddling though.

Lombok & Gili Islands on 00:26 - Oct 15 with 2605 viewsBoston

Lombok & Gili Islands on 17:04 - Oct 14 by PlanetHonneywood

My first travels in 1990 saw my mate and I eventually arrive in Indonesia, with a plan to push east from Jakarta as far as we could before heading to Oz.

But err, umm, after Java we never made it past Kuta beach! And never got to Lombok and Flores. Admittedly my mate and I had a cool hut right on the beach, so it wasn't exactly a two week gulag.

Anyway, in 2010 my mate returned to Bali and hated what had happened to the place, and couldn't wait to leave. So if you have happy memories, you might want to keep them that way.

Exactly my thoughts upon my return to Bridlington.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Lombok & Gili Islands on 03:35 - Oct 15 with 2572 viewsSydneyRs

Lombok & Gili Islands on 17:04 - Oct 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Bali is still a great place but it has certainly changed a lot and been affected by development, especially in the Kuta to Canggu areas. You'd probably have to go to the north part of the island to find something resembling what it used to be.

Never been to Lombok but that's probably closer to the Bali of old I would imagine.
Lombok & Gili Islands on 05:43 - Oct 15 with 2540 viewsMelakaRanger

Lombok is a very laid back place - unlike Bali. Yes there are bars and restaurants around but as I recall few and far between.

We've been a few times before Covid. I can throughly recommend Jeeva Klui. We stayed there 3 times. Its about an hour from the airport and a tad remote but a great place to stay for 5-7 days to totally chill. Longer might get boring though. We ate very day at the 'resort'. The food was superb and reasonably cheap. The staff were oustanding.

A great place to go and recharge your batteries.

You might find its easier and cheaper to get there by flying via KL and buying Air Asia flights from KL to Lombok. The Sama Sama hotel at KL airport is a great place for an overnight - especially in an Executive Room with Lounge access. Air Asia in flight meals are delicious and cheap. We always bought two meals each every time we flew with them.

Would we go again? Yes we would coupled with another destination.
Lombok & Gili Islands on 09:01 - Oct 15 with 2466 viewsLoftusR

Lombok & Gili Islands on 05:43 - Oct 15 by MelakaRanger

Lombok is a very laid back place - unlike Bali. Yes there are bars and restaurants around but as I recall few and far between.

We've been a few times before Covid. I can throughly recommend Jeeva Klui. We stayed there 3 times. Its about an hour from the airport and a tad remote but a great place to stay for 5-7 days to totally chill. Longer might get boring though. We ate very day at the 'resort'. The food was superb and reasonably cheap. The staff were oustanding.

A great place to go and recharge your batteries.

You might find its easier and cheaper to get there by flying via KL and buying Air Asia flights from KL to Lombok. The Sama Sama hotel at KL airport is a great place for an overnight - especially in an Executive Room with Lounge access. Air Asia in flight meals are delicious and cheap. We always bought two meals each every time we flew with them.

Would we go again? Yes we would coupled with another destination.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've just had a look at a very old lonely planet which describes Gilli T as under developed with no roads and 10 or so home stays spread 100m either side of the boat jetty which is how I remember it. Just looked at Booking.com and there are now 150 plus hotels spread all across the island. That's progress!! Good tip on the Air Asia flight from KL. Any others?
[Post edited 15 Oct 2022 9:03]
Lombok & Gili Islands on 17:08 - Oct 17 with 2249 viewszicoshoops

I would keep your memories of the backpacking trip.
Went at the beginning of 2020.
Gili Islands were ok but, a long way to take your family, especially if you have young ones.
Lots of more interesting Islands less than 18 hours travel away.
Lombok was uninspiring.
Might be ok if you stay in a decent all inclusive Hotel.
Not much to do there, and the place was generally quite dirty.

Bali and Lombok sound quite exotic……..and that’s about the best I can say about it.

Still………I hear they speak highly of me.

What‘s going on?

We should be told

Sort it out
Lombok & Gili Islands on 17:32 - Oct 17 with 2219 viewsQPRcounsellor

Zicoshoop has nailed it. A long way to go and not really that inspiring either. Great if you're already there but you're not.

I lived in Bali for 6 months in 2015. Didn't really like it, too crowded, polluted and spoilt. Ubud area still charming in parts though.

If you're going to go all that way, go to Thailand. A lot closer and there are still some gems to be found. Koh Kut near Koh Chang is meant to be great. Even Koh Phangan is still a great place to visit, and Samui. Way better than going to Indonesia.

As an aside, just reading Paul Theroux's book on the Pacific Islands. Great read, but they don't sound too inspiring unless you are really intrepid. Just because a place sounds exotic and romantic, doesn't mean it is!
Login to get fewer ads

Lombok & Gili Islands on 18:56 - Oct 17 with 2155 viewsLoftusR

Thanks for the tips. We've done Thailand, Malaysia, Borneo and Vietnam over the last few years so want to try Indonesia. I did Sumatra, Java, Bali and Lombok back in the day so wanted to show the kids. Don't fancy Bali as is been spoilt so thought about Lombok. I take the point about 18 hours to get to a beach, which won't be a good as the first time I went. So, Cambodia and Laos it is
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024