Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays 17:47 - Dec 5 with 3086 viewsNorthernr

Basically I couldn't stand Beale's face at the top of the site any longer so I've whacked this nonsense out to replace it.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/59081
Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 19:34 - Dec 5 with 2877 viewsstevec

Do I need a time machine to find this place you’re getting a gallon of petrol for two quid?
Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 19:41 - Dec 5 with 2883 viewsNorthernr

Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 19:34 - Dec 5 by stevec

Do I need a time machine to find this place you’re getting a gallon of petrol for two quid?

My mistake
Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 21:58 - Dec 5 with 2695 viewsM40R

Brilliant read. Bit less polished than usual but suits the mood. (Read your article whilst on a BT online chat for 90 minutes to fix a simple problem so enjoyed the railway refund saga.)
Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 13:07 - Dec 6 with 2186 viewsSuperhoop83

Superb diatribe about driving.

I did my first ever road trip to the Coventry match (I hate driving) and spent an age trying and failing to get into a multi-storey car park in the city centre so that we could meet mates for a pub lunch. My son eventually abandoned the car to head to the pub while I spent 20 minutes on a ramp full of stationary cars, another 20 minutes just about managing to reverse out of the fcuking thing and half an hour getting back to the road. All the while more and more witless people queued up to join the stationary queue.

I then spent 30 minutes driving through heavy traffic to get to the ground where I was charged £15 for the privilege of parking for 2 hours in "Car Park C". That's about £5,500 a month, which can get you this: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/129115505#/?channel=RES_LET

My son and our mates got to the ground at 2.55 after being stuck in traffic and I just about had time for a slash before Coventry ripped QPR to shreds. However, watching the match was positively relaxing compared to the time I'd had getting to it.

Never. Ever. Again.

Suffering since 1978.

Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 13:12 - Dec 6 with 2169 viewsLoftusR

I also made it to Sheffield. My first long distance away game for about 20 years, since my kids were born. Guess what now though, daughter No1 is now at Uni in Sheffield. In fact her halls are actually in Brammel Lane approximately 20m from the ground. So one I couldn't miss, and I took (forced) her to come with me.

Anyway you missed talking about the Road Closed lottery. Road works and detours everywhere. Leaving Sheffield the road is closed and a detour via Rotherham ensures. Then approaching Milton Keynes I spot the dreaded "Motorway Closed" sign

Panic ensues, do I take the next exit and head off into the night in hope of a new route, do ignore the sign and hope the road is open when I get there or do I just keep going and go wherever the lorries go. I choose the later and have a nice tour of Dunstable at 1.00 am. Anyway, home safe in the end and 3 points😀
Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 16:05 - Dec 6 with 1977 viewskernowhoop

Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 13:07 - Dec 6 by Superhoop83

Superb diatribe about driving.

I did my first ever road trip to the Coventry match (I hate driving) and spent an age trying and failing to get into a multi-storey car park in the city centre so that we could meet mates for a pub lunch. My son eventually abandoned the car to head to the pub while I spent 20 minutes on a ramp full of stationary cars, another 20 minutes just about managing to reverse out of the fcuking thing and half an hour getting back to the road. All the while more and more witless people queued up to join the stationary queue.

I then spent 30 minutes driving through heavy traffic to get to the ground where I was charged £15 for the privilege of parking for 2 hours in "Car Park C". That's about £5,500 a month, which can get you this: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/129115505#/?channel=RES_LET

My son and our mates got to the ground at 2.55 after being stuck in traffic and I just about had time for a slash before Coventry ripped QPR to shreds. However, watching the match was positively relaxing compared to the time I'd had getting to it.

Never. Ever. Again.

Did the Coventry manager look like he might prefer to be at QPR? Just wondering.
Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 17:36 - Dec 6 with 1903 viewsLogman

I can sympathise with the O.P. I foolishly clicked on a Daily Record article soon after he jumped ship and now it's like Punch and Judy with his reformed face popping up on my screen every time I log on.
Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 19:05 - Dec 6 with 1823 viewsswitchingcode

Great read
Login to get fewer ads

Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 13:25 - Dec 7 with 1434 viewsSuperhoop83

Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 16:05 - Dec 6 by kernowhoop

Did the Coventry manager look like he might prefer to be at QPR? Just wondering.

No. No, he didn't.

Suffering since 1978.

Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 15:53 - Dec 7 with 1365 viewseastside_r

Thoroughly enjoyable and I am a life-long 'one of those why do you need a car in London?tw@ts'.*

And I agree about Bristol, having lived in London >95% of my life it is one of the other few places I would consider living but they'd need to improve that train line into Paddington which is kind of the theme of the article.

* I do realise that some people do need cars in London.
Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 22:29 - Dec 7 with 1242 viewsBoston

Bristol/Sheffield/Luton — Awaydays on 13:12 - Dec 6 by LoftusR

I also made it to Sheffield. My first long distance away game for about 20 years, since my kids were born. Guess what now though, daughter No1 is now at Uni in Sheffield. In fact her halls are actually in Brammel Lane approximately 20m from the ground. So one I couldn't miss, and I took (forced) her to come with me.

Anyway you missed talking about the Road Closed lottery. Road works and detours everywhere. Leaving Sheffield the road is closed and a detour via Rotherham ensures. Then approaching Milton Keynes I spot the dreaded "Motorway Closed" sign

Panic ensues, do I take the next exit and head off into the night in hope of a new route, do ignore the sign and hope the road is open when I get there or do I just keep going and go wherever the lorries go. I choose the later and have a nice tour of Dunstable at 1.00 am. Anyway, home safe in the end and 3 points😀

Sheffield Wednesday away - the only Rangers game I've ever driven to in my life. It was the 4-0 walloping we got one evening about 6/7 years ago and unusually for me, I knew absolutely nobody who was going, left it too late to think about travel with the club and what with no train back after the match, rented a motor. Enjoyed the spin up to Yorkshire, even managed to avoid speeding tickets, which was difficult as I'd hired a Merc and it really wanted to get to Sheffield quickly, which it did, until we got to the city, and I had to work overtime on basic British geography as the American phone went wonky and I had no type of GPS to navigate with. Still, arrived with lots of time to kill and, as I don't drink alcohol in any quantity when driving, no pub. Enjoyed a walk around that part of town, the narrow streets with their hobbit houses were interesting as were the chip shop spring rolls, which I'd swear were big enough to have wrapped up Cleopatra! Anyways, we'll forget about the match, the real problems started afterwards. I'd managed to park for now't right next to Hillsborough and seeing as I'd gotten there so early, really easy to find the car after the game, though turned out being so close to the ground the fcking traffic was abysmal. Everything looks different in the dark, thought I was doing quite well for 15 / 20 mins then realized I was totally lost, jaysus, turned left, right, left, right, left right, left more times than Captain Jack, what the fck do I do now? It slowly dawned on me that 'dawn' was exactly when I'd probably get back to Wembley, then out of the blue the 7th Cavalry in the form of the Supporters and Vic's bus went straight across in front of me as I was stuck at a set of traffic lights. There was no choice, jump the red or be forever stuck in some sort of death spiral around Sheffield. I jumped. Throwing aside my usual caution, I proceeded to break numerous other British driving regulations to keep up with the London bound coaches until, all lit up like some sort of biblical transcendence of light, 'M1 South'.
Not driving again.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2022 22:39]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024