Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… 17:47 - Mar 10 with 12008 viewsSFC_Referee

Well it looks like Garry won’t be hosting MOTD anymore as by the looks of things he’s pretty much been sacked by the BBC, and by the looks of things Wright is leaving as well!
Be interesting to see who takes over now and anything else this could lead to…

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12830486/gary-lineker-bbc-pres

Poll: Who’s everyone’s player of the season?

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 14:07 - Mar 12 with 1817 viewsBridders2

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 07:34 - Mar 12 by Berber

If you do just a tiny bit of research, there is plenty of information on the internet, with many BBC staff and former staff offering insider insight regarding how this has,and currently works, you would see that it is not so clear cut. Especially as TimDavies changed the rules to be more vague, after the commencement of GL’s contract.

There is ample evidence that the BBC are swaying towards leniency for those with more right wing views and against those with more left wing views..

Roger Mosey, a former head of BBC TV News who is now the master of Selwyn College, Cambridge, argued that while Lineker’s tweets were not compliant with its editorial guidelines, the corporation had been “inconsistent” in applying those guidelines over the years, adding: “Their statement about not wanting Lineker to be ‘an opinion-free zone’ is an example of murkiness. The corporation also hasn’t explained why Lineker is restrained but Alan Sugar and co seem not to be.”

Lineker is a special case because he represents the BBC in such a big way. He is Mr BBC !!! whether you like it or not and should uphold their impartiality rules.
Nobody would think Alan Sugar represents the BBC he's a self made businessman who's American show is sold to the BBC. And he has never accused people of being Nazis.

'There is ample evidence that the BBC are swaying towards leniency for those with more right wing views and against those with more left wing views..'

This is redressing the balance to normality because the BBC has been overtly Left wing for 30 years. The Left obviously don't like seeing the balance restored. But in many peoples opinion it is still way more Left today.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 15:14 - Mar 12 with 1770 viewsPaleRider

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 14:07 - Mar 12 by Bridders2

Lineker is a special case because he represents the BBC in such a big way. He is Mr BBC !!! whether you like it or not and should uphold their impartiality rules.
Nobody would think Alan Sugar represents the BBC he's a self made businessman who's American show is sold to the BBC. And he has never accused people of being Nazis.

'There is ample evidence that the BBC are swaying towards leniency for those with more right wing views and against those with more left wing views..'

This is redressing the balance to normality because the BBC has been overtly Left wing for 30 years. The Left obviously don't like seeing the balance restored. But in many peoples opinion it is still way more Left today.

A couple of points:
a) I'm sure Lineker is not Mr BBC in the minds of most people, many of whom don't like football. The normal MOTD audience seems to be 2.5 million max out of a population of about 67 million - less than 4%;
b) Neither Lineker nor Sugar accused anyone of being a Nazi. Lineker compared the language used in 1930's Germany and by the conservative to make a valid point about about a migration policy which seeks to punish those who travel rather than the criminals who traffic them. Sugar had a picture of Corbyn in a car with Hitler. to make another valid point about antisemitism These are equally good/bad depending on your viewpoint;
c) Language is important. If you research the rhetoric in any extreme environment, it seems that the language ramps up as a pre-cursor to violence, repressive practices. This was true for both fascist and communist regimes and doesn't necessarily take place over weeks but often over years. Look at the language increasingly being used by both republicans and Democrats in the US. There is a fine line, which is difficult to define, as to when the language moves on from just being robust. Again this argument applies to Islamic or Zionist extremism as much as the extreme right. The danger is we judge based on whether or not we agree with the sentiment rather than on the substance of what is being said. If people are not alive to this then the result is that we sleep-walk into extremism;
d) I can't honestly remember the last time the BBC was impartial. You only have to look at the coverage of the big teams on BBC Sport or the grovelling coverage from the royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell as examples outside of the current argument. A big issue for the BBC is that in order to fill minutes on screen and clicks online it probably can't be impartial. As a result its current stance appears inconsistent and hypocritical. I suspect that Tim Davie's main concern is the licence fee, which looks increasingly untenable.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 15:17 - Mar 12 with 1768 viewsPaleRider

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 15:14 - Mar 12 by PaleRider

A couple of points:
a) I'm sure Lineker is not Mr BBC in the minds of most people, many of whom don't like football. The normal MOTD audience seems to be 2.5 million max out of a population of about 67 million - less than 4%;
b) Neither Lineker nor Sugar accused anyone of being a Nazi. Lineker compared the language used in 1930's Germany and by the conservative to make a valid point about about a migration policy which seeks to punish those who travel rather than the criminals who traffic them. Sugar had a picture of Corbyn in a car with Hitler. to make another valid point about antisemitism These are equally good/bad depending on your viewpoint;
c) Language is important. If you research the rhetoric in any extreme environment, it seems that the language ramps up as a pre-cursor to violence, repressive practices. This was true for both fascist and communist regimes and doesn't necessarily take place over weeks but often over years. Look at the language increasingly being used by both republicans and Democrats in the US. There is a fine line, which is difficult to define, as to when the language moves on from just being robust. Again this argument applies to Islamic or Zionist extremism as much as the extreme right. The danger is we judge based on whether or not we agree with the sentiment rather than on the substance of what is being said. If people are not alive to this then the result is that we sleep-walk into extremism;
d) I can't honestly remember the last time the BBC was impartial. You only have to look at the coverage of the big teams on BBC Sport or the grovelling coverage from the royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell as examples outside of the current argument. A big issue for the BBC is that in order to fill minutes on screen and clicks online it probably can't be impartial. As a result its current stance appears inconsistent and hypocritical. I suspect that Tim Davie's main concern is the licence fee, which looks increasingly untenable.

Bye the bye:

I don't like Lineker or any other pundits - male female or points in between! I would also rather be talking Saints than politics (where I am broadly neutral).
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 19:12 - Mar 12 with 1700 viewsBridders2

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 15:14 - Mar 12 by PaleRider

A couple of points:

Lineker chose his words carefully, but every one knows what he was implying.
I agree the licence fee is becoming untenable and it maybe that the BBC ends up like Netflix, you pay for it if you want it. Ironically GL and his mates might be speeding up that process.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 07:23 - Mar 13 with 1611 viewsRon11

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 11:46 - Mar 12 by Southamptonfan

Lineker is entitled to his opinion. This isn't in doubt. But the Nazis put Jews in concentration camps for slaughter. We have been putting up people in top hotels, all expenses paid for. We have people risking their lives and their children, to cross the Channel when they are already in a safe country. People smugglers are rampant. We can't just let them all in. The government is trying to address this issue, even if it's the wrong policy. GL just simply isn't right to compare the situation to Nazis and hence the controversy. He has a job reporting on football. He was stupid to announce his views like that in public. He could have just said "what a bad policy, I totally disagree with it". Or he could just said nothing and voted accordingly at the next election. And all would have been fine.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2023 11:54]

If Lineker wasn't an ex England footballer with a 1.3 million a year contract, but just an ordinary bloke on 25,000 a year, there's no doubt he would be the the office backstabbing sneak.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 09:04 - Mar 13 with 1560 viewskentsouthampton

Braverman orders the police to "protect free speech" and it's not even April the 1st.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 09:55 - Mar 13 with 1547 viewsBazza

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 09:04 - Mar 13 by kentsouthampton

Braverman orders the police to "protect free speech" and it's not even April the 1st.

Your racist, misogynistic, left wing bias is allowed because we have free speech
and a sense of humour but at least you’re not likely to upset a big audience!
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 11:24 - Mar 13 with 1510 viewssaintmark1976

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 09:55 - Mar 13 by Bazza

Your racist, misogynistic, left wing bias is allowed because we have free speech
and a sense of humour but at least you’re not likely to upset a big audience!

Game, Set and Match to Lineker and the right to free speech I would suggest.

Also, in my view a resounding defeat for the extreme right wing views held by a large number of rabid Tory MP’s whose opinions are supported by their lickspittle chums who edit the gutter press.
Login to get fewer ads

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 12:23 - Mar 13 with 1484 viewsChesham_Saint

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 11:24 - Mar 13 by saintmark1976

Also, in my view a resounding defeat for the extreme right wing views held by a large number of rabid Tory MP’s whose opinions are supported by their lickspittle chums who edit the gutter press.

Extreme right wing views? That is just a daft statement when considered in context.

Never mind, that whole BBC mob are utter hypocrites whatever their political views. Two minutes criticizing Qatar at the beginning of the World Cup and they arrogantly think they're absolved and free to enjoy Qatar and their huge pay cheques never mind the cost in poor working men's, gay and women's rights.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 12:36 - Mar 13 with 1465 viewsPaleRider

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 12:23 - Mar 13 by Chesham_Saint

Extreme right wing views? That is just a daft statement when considered in context.

Never mind, that whole BBC mob are utter hypocrites whatever their political views. Two minutes criticizing Qatar at the beginning of the World Cup and they arrogantly think they're absolved and free to enjoy Qatar and their huge pay cheques never mind the cost in poor working men's, gay and women's rights.

Your point about the BBC is spot on. Lineker should never have gone to Qatar if he genuinely holds the views he spouted - nor should any of the other pundits who claimed to be against the Qatari regime.

This is a big problem in the whole debate - the lack of consistency of both the BBC and the sports presenters. Also people being unwilling to step up if there is a direct personal consequence. There's a lot of hypocrisy here.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 14:03 - Mar 13 with 1424 viewskentsouthampton

This has gone well, latest polling from Delta...

Labour 50 +3, Tories 27 -4

Culture war going well.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 14:54 - Mar 13 with 1406 viewsBuggalugs

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 11:24 - Mar 13 by saintmark1976

When I was a nipper, the extreme right were defined as skinheads sieg heiling at NF rallies. Now you only have to say you backed Brexit or are concerned about illegal immigration to get the same label thrown at you.

The hatred that people from both sides have within them nowadays is off the scale and totally irrational. This country has gone completely bonkers.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 15:48 - Mar 13 with 1396 viewskentsouthampton

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 14:54 - Mar 13 by Buggalugs

When I was a nipper, the extreme right were defined as skinheads sieg heiling at NF rallies. Now you only have to say you backed Brexit or are concerned about illegal immigration to get the same label thrown at you.

The hatred that people from both sides have within them nowadays is off the scale and totally irrational. This country has gone completely bonkers.

It's what happens when populists like Farage and Johnson get taken seriously. Time was they'd be fringe nutters like Enoch Powell and mostly ignored.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 16:13 - Mar 13 with 1384 viewsBerber

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 14:07 - Mar 12 by Bridders2

GL has not accused anyone of being Nazis. What he said was, the language used was reminiscent of that used in Germany in the early 1930s. It isn’t hard to find what he actually wrote. I happen to not find the government intent to deal with the illegal boat landings to be wrong, as posted elsewhere on this forum, even if the proposed solution is a bit extreme. But I was, nonetheless incensed at Braverman’s inflammatory speech which some commentators have described as a dog whistle to Tory voters in the red wall constituencies.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 16:37 - Mar 13 with 1375 viewsUTS1885

No idea why le tissier has stuck his nose to this affair as there are no parallels to his removal from sky sporrts after ignoring warnings and spreading non stop conspiracy misinformation online. Hes got blood on his hands.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 16:44 - Mar 13 with 1367 viewsBuggalugs

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 16:37 - Mar 13 by UTS1885

No idea why le tissier has stuck his nose to this affair as there are no parallels to his removal from sky sporrts after ignoring warnings and spreading non stop conspiracy misinformation online. Hes got blood on his hands.

I rest my case

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 17:30 - Mar 13 with 1336 viewsChesham_Saint

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 16:13 - Mar 13 by Berber

GL has not accused anyone of being Nazis. What he said was, the language used was reminiscent of that used in Germany in the early 1930s. It isn’t hard to find what he actually wrote. I happen to not find the government intent to deal with the illegal boat landings to be wrong, as posted elsewhere on this forum, even if the proposed solution is a bit extreme. But I was, nonetheless incensed at Braverman’s inflammatory speech which some commentators have described as a dog whistle to Tory voters in the red wall constituencies.

I guess the acid test is, did the Jewish community find this link offensive and facile. The answer would appear to be that they did.

In short, any remark which seems to trivialize the Holocaust is unacceptable.

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 17:47 - Mar 13 with 1327 viewsBazza

Lineker is being pursued by HM Revenue and Customs for £4.9million it says should have been paid on income received between 2013 and 2018.

HMRC say Lineker should have been classed as an employee of the BBC and BT Sport, rather than a freelancer, with a legal hearing ongoing.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 18:13 - Mar 13 with 1317 viewsBridders2

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 17:47 - Mar 13 by Bazza

Lineker is being pursued by HM Revenue and Customs for £4.9million it says should have been paid on income received between 2013 and 2018.

HMRC say Lineker should have been classed as an employee of the BBC and BT Sport, rather than a freelancer, with a legal hearing ongoing.

That's right. He's so socially aware he avoids paying into the system and accepts large payments from the Qatar Wold Cup. A smug, hypocritical little pr*ck.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 00:48 - Mar 14 with 1258 viewssaint22

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 18:56 - Mar 10 by Berber

Spot on. Disgraceful that a presenter for something nothing to do with politics is not allowed to express a political opinion in another non BBC channel. This is donkey management scared sh1t less for their own positions. If I could still watch non BBC channels by broadband and not pay the fee or watch then again, I’d do it.

What a total sh1t show this is
Completely highlights how bankrupt we are as a nation now
The Tory self servers are on tho aren’t they
WABOC
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 08:31 - Mar 14 with 1165 viewsGasGiant

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 16:13 - Mar 13 by Berber

But is itsn't "reminscent of language used in Germany in the 1930s" Can we stop saying that? There are enough books on the rise of Fascism and its causes in German to know what was being said by the German Leaders and it is obvous that Lineker hasn't read any of them, or possibly even any other book so can you stop focussing on that as though the inference hinges on his choice of words? And be clear on another thing. It escaped his notice (and possibly yours as well) that the "Asylum Seekers" as we are supposed to call them all are trying to come to Britain. The Jews and other "Non Aryans" were desperately trying to find a way to leave Germany to save their lives so why is Lineker trying to draw some kind of parallel?
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 13:53 - Mar 15 with 1076 viewsUTS1885

Frank Warren saying everything ive been thinking about Lineker

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 16:13 - Mar 15 with 1020 viewsBerber

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 19:12 - Mar 12 by Bridders2

Lineker chose his words carefully, but every one knows what he was implying.
I agree the licence fee is becoming untenable and it maybe that the BBC ends up like Netflix, you pay for it if you want it. Ironically GL and his mates might be speeding up that process.

Well, you and a few thousand sensitive Tories seem to have figured out “what he really means”. Good for you, you can make up anything you like then.
Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 16:54 - Mar 15 with 1003 viewsChesham_Saint

Lineker to be hosting MOTD no longer… on 16:13 - Mar 15 by Berber

Well, you and a few thousand sensitive Tories seem to have figured out “what he really means”. Good for you, you can make up anything you like then.

You seriously think that it's just a "few thousand sensitive Tories" that don't appreciate his comments?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024