Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin Amis RIP 21:13 - May 20 with 4838 viewsQPRSteve

Rangers fan or not?

If memory serves me, he was not very flattering about us at times.
Martin Amis RIP on 21:26 - May 20 with 4745 viewsVancouverHoop

Amis considered football fans in general to be: "a solid mass of swearing, sweating, retching, belching sub-humanity”

So yeah, he wasn't very flattering about any of us.
Martin Amis RIP on 22:07 - May 20 with 4636 viewslightwaterhoop

Martin Amis RIP on 21:26 - May 20 by VancouverHoop

Amis considered football fans in general to be: "a solid mass of swearing, sweating, retching, belching sub-humanity”

Must have been to Stamford Bridge.
Martin Amis RIP on 23:07 - May 20 with 4537 viewsqprxtc

It’s a miss bit Amis is amiss.
Martin Amis RIP on 23:11 - May 20 with 4533 viewsMrSheen

Martin Amis RIP on 21:26 - May 20 by VancouverHoop

There’s a scene in one of his books (London Fields) which I think was based on his visit to see us beat West Ham 2-1…did Mark Stein and Danny Maddix get our goals? Memory is a bit dim, but I enjoyed it more than he did.

I loved his books until London Fields and then had no time for him at all. He was clearly a talented and imaginative writer, but I found his spite and satire less enjoyable as I got older. A bit like his friend Christopher Hitchens, I think some of his high reputation was because other writers were a bit frightened of him.
Martin Amis RIP on 00:08 - May 21 with 4413 viewsjohann28

Born in Oxford, but both his parents were Londoners. Claimed to be a Man U fan in the 90s. 'Money' (1984) is a great book.
Martin Amis RIP on 01:36 - May 21 with 4331 viewsTacticalR

Previous discussion of Martin Amis including his remarks about QPR in an interview in The Telegraph in 2001:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/70344/london-fiel

Air hostess clique

Martin Amis RIP on 02:26 - May 21 with 4287 viewsBoston

Goodbye Martin Amiss
I knew you not
Writer or snob
I don't give a jot.

But I'm sure you had family
and had a few kids
You'll look good in their memories
When they inherit your quids.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Martin Amis RIP on 03:14 - May 21 with 4275 viewsDannyPaddox

One sunny morning walking down Clarendon Road, W11, a thoroughfare that links North Kensington to Holland Park. One of those sunny mornings when you find yourself in a rare and profound positive frame of mind. A dull rumble breaks the silence. Someone crossing the road pulling a small suitcase on wheels. Pick it up you cûnt. A lizardly slouchy figure with a complexion preternaturally swarthy. Though tanned he seems troubled by the sunlight. A startled walnut. I’m not one to judge. Okay I’m one to judge. This geezer looks like a wrong ‘un. I realise it’s Martin Amis. I’ve read a few of his books. They had their moments. But more than anything when I saw him I remembered the cheese and onion quote The state of him. I probably should be more gracious. We live. We die.
Login to get fewer ads

Martin Amis RIP on 07:00 - May 21 with 4166 viewshubble

I'm sad to hear this news, I was a fan of his writing; it was era-defining and he had a Londoner's* ear and eye for the quirky, edgy, absurd and darker side of human nature.

I also liked him as a person and, funnily enough, along with my brother and another mate from school, used to play football with him in Hyde Park on Saturday mornings in the mid-70s.

*Despite the fact that he was born in Oxford, he lived, grew up in and loved London.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Martin Amis RIP on 12:56 - May 21 with 3808 viewskensalriser

Certainly a contender for greatest British post war novelist.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Martin Amis RIP on 15:56 - May 21 with 3657 viewsSharpediver

Martin Amis RIP on 12:56 - May 21 by kensalriser

Certainly a contender for greatest British post war novelist.

Read a few of his books and articles back in the day - 80s/90s. Beautifully articulated and gripping at the time, but can't for the life of me remember anything about the characters, plot, big ideas (if there were any)?

Always enjoyed reading interviews with him and Hitchens. RIP to him. 73 seems a relatively young age to die these days, same age my mum went. Same cause I suspect - the fags.
Martin Amis RIP on 17:50 - May 21 with 3544 viewsMaggsinho

I believ his quote about football fans in general and maybe QPR Adan’s in particular was something like ‘they have the complexion and odour of cheese and onion crisps’

I loved his books, with Andy Rourke and then Martin Amis it’s been a sad couple of days
Martin Amis RIP on 19:17 - May 21 with 3407 viewsVancouverHoop

Martin Amis RIP on 17:50 - May 21 by Maggsinho

I believ his quote about football fans in general and maybe QPR Adan’s in particular was something like ‘they have the complexion and odour of cheese and onion crisps’

I loved his books, with Andy Rourke and then Martin Amis it’s been a sad couple of days

"the complexion and body-scent of a cheese-and-onion crisp, and the eyes of pitbulls" Was the exact quote

He went on to claim football grounds all had depressing names "like Cold Blow Lane" my response was "What about Gay Meadow?"

He was spot on with Money and Time's Arrow was a fair try at a tricky and difficult subject, but since then... nah.
Martin Amis RIP on 20:09 - May 21 with 3338 viewsdistortR

Martin Amis RIP on 19:17 - May 21 by VancouverHoop

"the complexion and body-scent of a cheese-and-onion crisp, and the eyes of pitbulls" Was the exact quote

He went on to claim football grounds all had depressing names "like Cold Blow Lane" my response was "What about Gay Meadow?"

He was spot on with Money and Time's Arrow was a fair try at a tricky and difficult subject, but since then... nah.

Yeah, I'm not going to be impressed by someone who has that stated view of me. I read time's arrow, not for me.
Martin Amis RIP on 22:04 - May 21 with 3145 viewsMrSheen

Martin Amis RIP on 19:17 - May 21 by VancouverHoop

Money was his best…on great form. Talking about Los Angeles, “you can get your chimp shampooed or dick tattooed, but you cannot get a drink in Los Angeles”.

Now he would be dismissed for “punching down”, but the fact is he didn’t seem to like anyone. Everyone in his books is contemptible, which is fun for a while until it isn’t.
Martin Amis RIP on 22:56 - May 21 with 3079 viewsCiderwithRsie

Martin Amis RIP on 20:09 - May 21 by distortR

Yeah, I'm not going to be impressed by someone who has that stated view of me. I read time's arrow, not for me.

Hope it didn't take you too long to read it. That's time you'll never get forward again.
Martin Amis RIP on 00:06 - May 22 with 3045 viewsDannyPaddox

Martin Amis RIP on 07:00 - May 21 by hubble

I'm sad to hear this news, I was a fan of his writing; it was era-defining and he had a Londoner's* ear and eye for the quirky, edgy, absurd and darker side of human nature.

I also liked him as a person and, funnily enough, along with my brother and another mate from school, used to play football with him in Hyde Park on Saturday mornings in the mid-70s.

*Despite the fact that he was born in Oxford, he lived, grew up in and loved London.

Milquetoast Cup Final?
Martin Amis RIP on 08:20 - May 22 with 2916 viewsPhildo

it wasn't for me - I thought London Fields was sneering at the ordinary people when I read it but that was a long time ago. I did like his fathers writing but both of them fell terribly out of fashion.
Martin Amis RIP on 11:12 - May 22 with 2812 viewsMoonshineSteve

I think he was a Brentford fan.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Martin Amis RIP on 18:25 - May 22 with 2641 viewsdistortR

Martin Amis RIP on 22:04 - May 21 by MrSheen

Money was his best…on great form. Talking about Los Angeles, “you can get your chimp shampooed or dick tattooed, but you cannot get a drink in Los Angeles”.

Now he would be dismissed for “punching down”, but the fact is he didn’t seem to like anyone. Everyone in his books is contemptible, which is fun for a while until it isn’t.

Yeah, I assumed 'times arrow' told us more about the author then anything else.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024