Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The dismal story of modern football... 12:39 - Jun 9 with 8499 viewsdmm

...can be summed up in two words: Manchester City - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/09/modern-football-manchester

An article that tells us everything we already know about modern football, but it's well put and an enjoyable read. QPR even gets a fleeting mention.
The dismal story of modern football... on 22:21 - Jun 11 with 1136 viewsNewBee

The dismal story of modern football... on 23:58 - Jun 10 by Wegerles_Stairs

They've literally cheated. What do you think the 115 charges and expensive lawyers are about?

Assuming Man.City are found guilty, then it will have been for spending money which they weren't entitled to do.

In which case, I hope they throw the book at them, including stripping them of titles etc.

But that was not my point. Which is that under Guardiola, City have undeniably used that money to produce a quality of football which is consistently excellent, at times breathtaking, and in stark contrast to other free-spending contemporaries like eg Chelsea or Everton, who've pissed gazillions up the wall.

While if you imagine that cheating, whether financial or otherwise, is new to the game ever since it went professional over a century ago, then (no offence) you don't know the history of football*.

I guess what I'm saying is is that that article was one long moan about how awful modern football is, prompted by the fact that the author seems bitter that even after a better-than-usual season, his Villa team is being left further behind, not just by M.City, but by half a dozen other teams who are on a different level entirely.

* - And this applies to England, the original home of professional football, not just in other countries where those pesky foreigners took up the game.
The dismal story of modern football... on 22:26 - Jun 11 with 1111 viewsNewBee

The dismal story of modern football... on 00:51 - Jun 11 by bob566

Will come to nothing. If the pga tour and their legal muscle had to wind their necks in. Let's see if it goes anywhere. Doubt it

It gives me no pleasure to suggest that not only do M.City have the best manager and players in the game, but they also have the best accountants and the best lawyers.

Meaning that if these charges come to nothing, then doubtless the usual crowd will flood social media etc to moan about how useless the FA and EPL are etc.

Which will miss the point that not only are City's owners minted, but (sad to say) they're also very clever and very competent.
The dismal story of modern football... on 23:31 - Jun 11 with 1049 viewsdaveB

They are a great team to watch and was pleased they won the treble. They are not the first team to spend loads and won't be the last. Real Madrid just spent 100million on Bellingham and want to spend similar on Kane as well. Man Utd spend fortunes every summer
City are just doing it a lot better than everyone else
The dismal story of modern football... on 13:41 - Jun 12 with 858 viewsToast_R

The dismal story of modern football... on 15:51 - Jun 12 with 786 viewsCamberleyR

The dismal story of modern football... on 10:40 - Jun 10 by ozranger

I find this football is all about money somewhat strange. Money is a by-product of television. When the Premier league commenced it was tv companies taking advantage of an untapped profitable market. Global tv markets were emerging and selling a product to these overseas customers was where the money was. I wonder what clubs were getting in the early days of the Premier league as compared to now. Players in the early 90s were also valued a lot less and yet of similar quality to those now. Television, and specifically now cable/satellite, has inflated the market dramatically and this will continue. They started this mess and rode the wave as much as they could get out of it. Ostensibly, it's snowballed and the amount of money in football is thus a by-product of this wave.

IIRC the original Sky deal in 1992 was £300m over five seasons.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The dismal story of modern football... on 17:19 - Jun 12 with 718 viewsMrSheen

The dismal story of modern football... on 15:51 - Jun 12 by CamberleyR

IIRC the original Sky deal in 1992 was £300m over five seasons.

...at a time of recession and double-digit interest rates, and with the clubs having to rebuild their grounds after the Taylor Report. English clubs were only just readmitted into Europe and we were exporting rather than importing players.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2023 17:21]
The dismal story of modern football... on 17:48 - Jun 12 with 692 viewsjoe90

I thought this was a good article about the City situation. Much better tone.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/jun/11/manchester-city-champions-
The dismal story of modern football... on 17:53 - Jun 12 with 682 viewsdaveB

The dismal story of modern football... on 22:21 - Jun 11 by NewBee

Assuming Man.City are found guilty, then it will have been for spending money which they weren't entitled to do.

In which case, I hope they throw the book at them, including stripping them of titles etc.

But that was not my point. Which is that under Guardiola, City have undeniably used that money to produce a quality of football which is consistently excellent, at times breathtaking, and in stark contrast to other free-spending contemporaries like eg Chelsea or Everton, who've pissed gazillions up the wall.

While if you imagine that cheating, whether financial or otherwise, is new to the game ever since it went professional over a century ago, then (no offence) you don't know the history of football*.

I guess what I'm saying is is that that article was one long moan about how awful modern football is, prompted by the fact that the author seems bitter that even after a better-than-usual season, his Villa team is being left further behind, not just by M.City, but by half a dozen other teams who are on a different level entirely.

* - And this applies to England, the original home of professional football, not just in other countries where those pesky foreigners took up the game.

the charges are all pre Guardiola although they probably wouldn't have got him if they were starting from scratch in 2016
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024