Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
House Prices 10:47 - Jul 13 with 3006 viewsDr_Winston

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66154013

I read this thread about a girl living in Cardiff who has £50,000 saved and still apparently can't afford anywhere to buy. Out of curiosity I then had a look at properties listed on Rightmove and valued at £120,000 or less within ten miles of Cardiff.

Anyone wanna guess as to how many I found?

563. Even if only 10% were suitable that's still 50+ properties in easy commuting distance that are within her budget. Whilst I have no doubt that house prices in certain areas are too high, sill stories like this just keep the fear going.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2023 13:25]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

House Prices on 10:58 - Jul 13 with 2357 viewsmagicdaps10

I think this story goes hand in hand with entitlement.
Unfortunately entitlement is becoming more and more of a thing, it's the house that she wants or likely feels that she deserves rather than getting the house she can afford and getting on the first step of the property ladder.......they want everything straight away and a lot of these youngsters are getting it.

Anyone over a certain age, think back to your first car and now look at what they are driving as their first car these days.

Frightening.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

House Prices on 11:45 - Jul 13 with 2309 viewsTogg

House Prices on 10:58 - Jul 13 by magicdaps10

Unfortunately entitlement is becoming more and more of a thing, it's the house that she wants or likely feels that she deserves rather than getting the house she can afford and getting on the first step of the property ladder.......they want everything straight away and a lot of these youngsters are getting it.

Anyone over a certain age, think back to your first car and now look at what they are driving as their first car these days.

Frightening.

Get passed Llantrisant, head up the Rhonnda. Prices a lot lower. It's a good start and not far from Cardiff if you work there.
People who commute to Cardiff from the Valleys with lower mortgages, potentially have more disposable income than if they lived in a posher part of Cardiff.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2023 11:49]
House Prices on 12:13 - Jul 13 with 2284 viewsWhiterockin

Simple really, buy what you can afford not what you want or do without.
House Prices on 12:28 - Jul 13 with 2272 viewsonehunglow

House Prices on 12:13 - Jul 13 by Whiterockin

Simple really, buy what you can afford not what you want or do without.

I've seen a few Under the Hammers featuring properties in the area highlighted by Einstein
Some remarkably cheap homes especially where people are willing to graft or simply have property upgraded
Personally, I started off with what was affordable and that meant less attractive areas
You then get a toe on the ladder and then it's up to you
Great thread this

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

House Prices on 13:23 - Jul 13 with 2244 viewsBoundy

House Prices on 12:28 - Jul 13 by onehunglow

I've seen a few Under the Hammers featuring properties in the area highlighted by Einstein
Some remarkably cheap homes especially where people are willing to graft or simply have property upgraded
Personally, I started off with what was affordable and that meant less attractive areas
Great thread this

Another example of I want everything NOW , nowt wrong with renting , in fact imo it has more benefits (in the short term ) than owning . The problem is in both the social and private sector house building cant keep up with demand .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

House Prices on 13:24 - Jul 13 with 2242 viewsTogg

House Prices on 12:28 - Jul 13 by onehunglow

Great thread this

Einstein
Yes totally right. Just get your foot on the ladder and then try when appropriate move to a more so called desirable area, or bigger property.If that's what you want to do.
House Prices on 13:43 - Jul 13 with 2213 viewsonehunglow

House Prices on 13:24 - Jul 13 by Togg

Einstein
Yes totally right. Just get your foot on the ladder and then try when appropriate move to a more so called desirable area, or bigger property.If that's what you want to do.

Footballers,our heroes,often start off in modern abodes but when they make it they tend not to live anywhere near areas where they were spawned .
Nowt wrong with renting Boundy . Nothing at all but property is a good long term investment

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

House Prices on 16:53 - Jul 13 with 2151 viewspencoedjack

House Prices on 11:45 - Jul 13 by Togg

Get passed Llantrisant, head up the Rhonnda. Prices a lot lower. It's a good start and not far from Cardiff if you work there.
People who commute to Cardiff from the Valleys with lower mortgages, potentially have more disposable income than if they lived in a posher part of Cardiff.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2023 11:49]

Llanharan & Pencoed are both prime spots for Basseyville with trains every half hour.

Not that I want them living here & would rather them head East to Newport 👍
Login to get fewer ads

House Prices on 19:31 - Jul 13 with 2104 viewsTogg

House Prices on 16:53 - Jul 13 by pencoedjack

Llanharan & Pencoed are both prime spots for Basseyville with trains every half hour.

Not that I want them living here & would rather them head East to Newport 👍

If they went east they will be breeding with the expat Brizzlolians in the port. What a strange breed Half Bassey Half Wurzel. Drinking soyder end derk!
House Prices on 22:28 - Jul 13 with 2040 viewsmajorraglan

House Prices on 13:23 - Jul 13 by Boundy

Another example of I want everything NOW , nowt wrong with renting , in fact imo it has more benefits (in the short term ) than owning . The problem is in both the social and private sector house building cant keep up with demand .

Prices to rent a house down our way are steep, a 3 bed terrace house in downtown Llanelli is £795 - that’s radio rental. Not much change left from a monthly pay cheque by the time bills are factored in. Carmarthen is even steeper.
There’s a huge shortage of property, as smaller and accidental landlords are selling up the big players and people with lots of money are stepping in and buying up.
House Prices on 23:09 - Jul 13 with 2019 viewslifelong

Lived in the same house for 44 years, paid 16 grand for it. 6 of our immediate neighbours have done likewise. not the best financial decision but just couldn’t be arsed to move. Similar house for sale in the vicinity, £300k.
House Prices on 23:09 - Jul 13 with 2019 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

These days always worth some Google research into any journalist, you will be astonished at what you can find out about their predispositions.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2023 23:10]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

House Prices on 07:08 - Jul 14 with 1973 viewsDr_Winston

House Prices on 23:09 - Jul 13 by lifelong

Lived in the same house for 44 years, paid 16 grand for it. 6 of our immediate neighbours have done likewise. not the best financial decision but just couldn’t be arsed to move. Similar house for sale in the vicinity, £300k.

If I'd stayed put in my first house I'd probably be mortgage free by now as I only paid £24,000 for it and that was in 2002.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

House Prices on 19:52 - Jul 14 with 1852 viewsSullutaCreturned

We moved into this house in Oct 2019 and it was a fixer upper....I'm 56 now.

This week we had a gardening firm in fixing up the large back garden, we also has the plasterers in and the downstairs was skimmed throughout with the painter coming next week.

Why does a 24 year old feel so entitled to get a lovely, ready to move into property for a cheap price?

On her wages with that deposit she could get herself a nice house just outside Cardiff, better still keep 30k of the deposit and she can transform her new home into a palace.
House Prices on 22:10 - Jul 14 with 1815 viewsBoundy

I'm one of those who took up the right to buy , we still live in the house as do many of my neighbours who also took up the option.We bought it off the council for 13.5K but the overall cost was a lot more due to a number of remortgages to improve the house . Value now I really don't know as not many go up for sale and although we would move it would only be because of potential access issues .
We rented in the Army then the council and probably would have continued to do so if Thatcher hadn't brought in the Act

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

House Prices on 18:14 - Jul 16 with 1683 viewsSullutaCreturned

Frightening.

When I was working in Swansea centre I used to regularly pass a barbers on the Kingsway, There were often high end sports cars parked on the pavement there (who often got ticketed but didn't seem to care) and none of these blokes looked more than 25. I'm talking Mercedes, BMW and even an Aston Martin. Now either these young people may be paying an absolute huge sum on PCP every month or maybe they have rich parents but still, to many young people want everything now and aren't prepared to work and save for it.
House Prices on 19:26 - Jul 16 with 1646 viewsTogg

House Prices on 18:14 - Jul 16 by SullutaCreturned

When I was working in Swansea centre I used to regularly pass a barbers on the Kingsway, There were often high end sports cars parked on the pavement there (who often got ticketed but didn't seem to care) and none of these blokes looked more than 25. I'm talking Mercedes, BMW and even an Aston Martin. Now either these young people may be paying an absolute huge sum on PCP every month or maybe they have rich parents but still, to many young people want everything now and aren't prepared to work and save for it.

Maybe they are selling exotic cigarettes or a different types of talcon powder. 🤔
House Prices on 06:52 - Jul 17 with 1561 viewsSullutaCreturned

House Prices on 19:26 - Jul 16 by Togg

Maybe they are selling exotic cigarettes or a different types of talcon powder. 🤔

Yes, very special Talcum powder was suggested as a source of ther income.
House Prices on 09:11 - Jul 17 with 1508 viewsModeratorD

Frightening.

Too right.
My first car was a rust heap.
When we got married we begged and borrowed second hand furniture etc and were lucky to get a house we really liked at a reasonable price
Many youngsters ( family / friends offspring) want it all done like a designer home to go with their latest phones and fancy car.
Crazy
House Prices on 09:17 - Jul 17 with 1505 viewsModeratorD

House Prices on 13:23 - Jul 13 by Boundy

Not often I disagree with your usual spot on posts.
However I see renting as a mugs game unless you have no choice and cannot afford to buy
Get on the property ladder ASAP, whether it is a doer upper in a less desirable area or whatever.
Lining the landlords pockets is like throwing money down the toilet.
House Prices on 09:30 - Jul 17 with 1490 viewscontroversial_jack

House Prices on 09:17 - Jul 17 by ModeratorD

Not often I disagree with your usual spot on posts.
However I see renting as a mugs game unless you have no choice and cannot afford to buy
Get on the property ladder ASAP, whether it is a doer upper in a less desirable area or whatever.
Lining the landlords pockets is like throwing money down the toilet.

Being a landlord isn't the profit game many think it is. After paying tax, insurance, maint and landlord courses and licences, there isn't a lot left over.Plus you are on call if something goes wrong. The reason I own property and rent them out, is to keep my assets for the kids, as you get very little interest from the banks
House Prices on 09:42 - Jul 17 with 1483 viewsunion_jack

House Prices on 09:30 - Jul 17 by controversial_jack

Being a landlord isn't the profit game many think it is. After paying tax, insurance, maint and landlord courses and licences, there isn't a lot left over.Plus you are on call if something goes wrong. The reason I own property and rent them out, is to keep my assets for the kids, as you get very little interest from the banks

I’m in the game too and it’s a royal pain in the backside. I get mine managed but never a month goes by when something needs doing decreasing the income. And the legislation and hooos you have to run through make it anything but easy money!

I’m lucky not to have any mortgages but those that have must be running at a loss except for the capital appreciation of the property. Of course, CGT will get you in that one!

It annoys me when people regard landlords as the modern day Peter Rachman. Those days have long gone and we provide a much in demand service and tenants know their rights. And demand them!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

House Prices on 09:54 - Jul 17 with 1476 viewsWhiterockin

House Prices on 09:30 - Jul 17 by controversial_jack

You can easily get a 6% savings rate at the moment which isn't too bad. I can't see the return of low interest rates that we have over the last 10-15 years it should level off giving you at least 4%, nothing compared to inflation currently, but house values are also dropping.
House Prices on 15:20 - Jul 17 with 1419 viewscontroversial_jack

House Prices on 09:54 - Jul 17 by Whiterockin

You can easily get a 6% savings rate at the moment which isn't too bad. I can't see the return of low interest rates that we have over the last 10-15 years it should level off giving you at least 4%, nothing compared to inflation currently, but house values are also dropping.

You can only get that on a limited amount. Not on savings accounts, not with Barclays anyway, not anywhere near that
House Prices on 15:23 - Jul 17 with 1419 viewsDr_Winston

You can make a decent return on renting properties out. Sadly the continued erosion of landlord rights in favour of giving more to problem tenants just makes it not worth the hassle.

It's easier and cheaper for me to leave a house empty at the moment whilst I try to sell it rather than risk putting a short term tenant in there who might trash the place or refuse to move on completion. This is the idiocy of housing policy in action.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024