Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playing out from the back - Disaster? 21:41 - Jul 25 with 4808 viewsSouthamptonfan

On radio Solent, they are saying it was suicidal. Can we get better at it or will it be a disaster? I'm concerned it will cost us this season.

Poll: Who are you voting for?

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 15:58 - Jul 26 with 851 viewsMonksway

I don't think RM will change his approach. I think the "received wisdom" Is that, once embedded, this approach will win matches, get promoted and be the appropriate style to compete in the Prem! Not sure if this is true but Fulham, Bournemouth and Burnley were all promoted playing good football. I'll be surprised if Luton and Sheffield Utd don't go straight back down after a few successes in the early part of the season. A friend who supports Swansea says the fan base were very split over RM - his advice ( and he is a financial advisor) was always to back "both teams to score! "
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 17:16 - Jul 26 with 820 viewsGRIM

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 21:49 - Jul 25 by Kent_Oscillator

It is a nightmare and is going to cost us dearly. What more, with this strategy any good work the players do in trying the score goals will be undone by pis5ing around at the back which is going to seriously effect morale....

Can someone explain to me what playing so many passes & triangles around yor own penalty achieves.
It's an invitation to the opposition to press & punish us for our inevitable mistakes.
But there were some positives like Will Smallbone looking like a ready made replacement for JWP & he can make a forward pass.
Also we had more variety to our attacks, more pace & moving the ball quicker.
But I worry about giving our full backs licence to get into more central forward positions, that leaves us desperately exposed on the flanks when we get hit on the break.
Only time will tell if RM has got it right.
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 17:27 - Jul 26 with 813 viewsIfonly

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 17:16 - Jul 26 by GRIM

Can someone explain to me what playing so many passes & triangles around yor own penalty achieves.
It's an invitation to the opposition to press & punish us for our inevitable mistakes.
But there were some positives like Will Smallbone looking like a ready made replacement for JWP & he can make a forward pass.
Also we had more variety to our attacks, more pace & moving the ball quicker.
But I worry about giving our full backs licence to get into more central forward positions, that leaves us desperately exposed on the flanks when we get hit on the break.
Only time will tell if RM has got it right.

The whole idea is that you draw the opposition forward, leaving space in midfield that you can use. To be fair to those who advocate this approach, it works very well for some teams - and not just Barcelona and Man City. Brighton, for example, use this tactic and do it very well. So, it can work in theory but it needs the right players and a lot of training ground work.
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 18:21 - Jul 26 with 748 viewsdarthvader

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 17:27 - Jul 26 by Ifonly

The whole idea is that you draw the opposition forward, leaving space in midfield that you can use. To be fair to those who advocate this approach, it works very well for some teams - and not just Barcelona and Man City. Brighton, for example, use this tactic and do it very well. So, it can work in theory but it needs the right players and a lot of training ground work.

I remember when we played man city , in the league . i was screaming at our players not to press as i could see it was a trap , they try to look all vulnerable...we pressed early in the game nearly pick pocked them once or twice but they were easily able to pass their way out or over the 4 or 5 of our players that were pressing ... Leaving their fast paced attack loads of room to run in to .

If we are trying that then we need quality ball players with confidence, also not to pass the ball across the face of goal that is just reckless...we arnt man city .

However if we can find a way to beat the press and it works we will dominate many teams this season .

We were one of the first teams to press high (poch era) and it was new ...now alot of teams do it and we Have to try and beat it .. hitting it long is an option but only when no pass is on ,rather that than concede though .

I am looking forward to the season , it will be different and we wont win every game but im quietly confident we will win more than most

keep the faith coyr

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 18:37 - Jul 26 with 733 viewsgrumpy

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 18:21 - Jul 26 by darthvader

I remember when we played man city , in the league . i was screaming at our players not to press as i could see it was a trap , they try to look all vulnerable...we pressed early in the game nearly pick pocked them once or twice but they were easily able to pass their way out or over the 4 or 5 of our players that were pressing ... Leaving their fast paced attack loads of room to run in to .

If we are trying that then we need quality ball players with confidence, also not to pass the ball across the face of goal that is just reckless...we arnt man city .

However if we can find a way to beat the press and it works we will dominate many teams this season .

We were one of the first teams to press high (poch era) and it was new ...now alot of teams do it and we Have to try and beat it .. hitting it long is an option but only when no pass is on ,rather that than concede though .

I am looking forward to the season , it will be different and we wont win every game but im quietly confident we will win more than most

'im quietly confident we will win more than most'

Hope you're right,but as it stands I cant see us doing that.
The goalkeeper is a serious issue.
Martin has a lot of work to do, making McCarthy captain is not a good start.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 18:45]
Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 07:33 - Jul 27 with 592 viewsJellybaby

Having heard Jason Wilcox speak recently, we are going to have to forbear with playing out from the back, as he was unequivocal about Saints playing like that even if it does give some goals away. He said he chose RM over other more qualified and experienced candidates because their views aligned re possession football. Hold on to your hats people!

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 11:21 - Jul 27 with 510 viewsGRIM

Playing out from the back - Disaster? on 07:33 - Jul 27 by Jellybaby

Having heard Jason Wilcox speak recently, we are going to have to forbear with playing out from the back, as he was unequivocal about Saints playing like that even if it does give some goals away. He said he chose RM over other more qualified and experienced candidates because their views aligned re possession football. Hold on to your hats people!

Playing out from the back is alright in principle but watching us trying to play it against Bournemouth was edge of the seat stuff.
We were grossly overdoing it to the extent that it was suicidal. (ie. McCarthy trying to play a 5 yard ball on his own goal line is just crazy).
For it to be effective you need to be selective & not just play it for fun.
Not sure the likes of Stephen's & Bednarek will ever be capable of playing this system.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024