Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marti got that one wrong 22:43 - Feb 14 with 8381 viewsFDC

Big fan of Marti, think the slender hope of staying up is largely down to him and the changes he's made.

But he got that wrong, didn't he? Looked like he set up to attack with pace on the break, using sinclair supported by three nippy little guys behind him.

It didn't really work, because of a combination of poor long ball distribution out of defence, sinclair poor decision making (offsides and poor attempts at buying free kicks), and EFL secret meeting agreeing to never award armstrong a decision.

You can see the thinking behind it, but looked a doomed plan from midway through first half.

Second half we were always going to be camping out trying to break them down, and felt like the subs that came would have been useful from half time. But he didn't change it up until 70 or so mins, and although Frey, Andersen, Willock felt like the correct subs, by that point we were really chasing the game it became madcap and disjointed

Marti got that one wrong on 08:51 - Feb 16 with 940 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I was working and got back for the goal (typical) but during the second half I think I got excited once with a sort of deflated "oooh".

It was plain to me even on about 80 mins after the subs; baring a fook up by Stoke we were not going to score.

I think Marti is a good manager and I hope he stays with us, maybe we were set up wrong but watching some of ours flicking the ball out of play or passing like you see in those 5 a side senior walking games I don't think it's entirely his fault.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Marti got that one wrong on 09:27 - Feb 16 with 895 viewsmart_Goblin

Marti got that one wrong on 08:12 - Feb 16 by ParkRoyalR

On Twitter maybe but on here with experienced Championship fans who have some sense you would hope the reaction would be exactly as Benny has rightly called it....

You finally fix your defensive set-piece facilities and you throw that in the bin and try to integrate 3 new players into a defensive set-up with zero time on the training pitch?

We have made marginal but very significant improvements under Marti (Chair crossing first time on his left foot being one stand-out) but not starting Field at Stoke is one very few experienced Championship Managers would have made.

If we are to survive, we need pragmatism from our Manager rather than purism and playing those who are not fully match fit is not a good call.

I believe if Marti can combine the marginal improvements he has made with the few players who care for our club (and or have professional pride) we can still stay up.

Ultimately Cannon and Colbackk lost their men.
Both played Saturday both failed to do their job.they weren’t outjumped or out muscled. They didn’t do the basics.

It’s got nothing to do with the players not playing . It’s the players on the pitch who who let us and themselves down .

s Clive keeps saying , a tweek here and there isn’t going to fix this lot . If he’d played Dykes and Field ..just to defend corners better …which is madbess ….then they’d have found another way to lose the game . It’s what they do

I e said that he should have changed it sooner because we were nicely out muscled and overpowered but did the team that finished look better than the team that started ? If anything it looked worse to me
[Post edited 16 Feb 9:30]
Marti got that one wrong on 09:43 - Feb 16 with 864 viewsNorthernr

Marti got that one wrong on 08:12 - Feb 16 by ParkRoyalR

On Twitter maybe but on here with experienced Championship fans who have some sense you would hope the reaction would be exactly as Benny has rightly called it....

You finally fix your defensive set-piece facilities and you throw that in the bin and try to integrate 3 new players into a defensive set-up with zero time on the training pitch?

We have made marginal but very significant improvements under Marti (Chair crossing first time on his left foot being one stand-out) but not starting Field at Stoke is one very few experienced Championship Managers would have made.

If we are to survive, we need pragmatism from our Manager rather than purism and playing those who are not fully match fit is not a good call.

I believe if Marti can combine the marginal improvements he has made with the few players who care for our club (and or have professional pride) we can still stay up.

Lot of people being very wise after the event here.
Marti got that one wrong on 09:49 - Feb 16 with 839 viewsgazza1

I have no issues with the Manager's team or tactics, etc........not going into personal perfomances.

The team selection was good, I did not have an issue with Willock being benched and Smyth introduced. The tactics were fine and it worked quite well however when we did get opportunities and attacking options we failed to deliver due to lack of quality. A poor goal to give away, several players need to hold their hands up.

No need to change at half time, far too early to do that, we were well in the game. MC knew, and so did the players, what Stoke would be doing in the second half with a 1-0 lead. To be fair they did it quite well plus, again, our quality was lacking. Changes were needed during the second half and MC made them but, sadly, none of them gave us any extra. We piled on pressure late on but quality and the Stoke defenders stopped that goal being scored.

Personally, I thought we deserved something from the game, I didn't think we played that bad, we should have been better in the final 3rd of the pitch but quality let us down. Stoke were average but defended quite well in the second half.

We move onto Bristol and have every chance again to secure points, we will see.
Marti got that one wrong on 11:45 - Feb 16 with 689 viewsTK1

Marti got that one wrong on 09:49 - Feb 16 by gazza1

I have no issues with the Manager's team or tactics, etc........not going into personal perfomances.

The team selection was good, I did not have an issue with Willock being benched and Smyth introduced. The tactics were fine and it worked quite well however when we did get opportunities and attacking options we failed to deliver due to lack of quality. A poor goal to give away, several players need to hold their hands up.

No need to change at half time, far too early to do that, we were well in the game. MC knew, and so did the players, what Stoke would be doing in the second half with a 1-0 lead. To be fair they did it quite well plus, again, our quality was lacking. Changes were needed during the second half and MC made them but, sadly, none of them gave us any extra. We piled on pressure late on but quality and the Stoke defenders stopped that goal being scored.

Personally, I thought we deserved something from the game, I didn't think we played that bad, we should have been better in the final 3rd of the pitch but quality let us down. Stoke were average but defended quite well in the second half.

We move onto Bristol and have every chance again to secure points, we will see.

Best post so far. I agree. We deserved something from the match. It was one of those games. Could've won 1-0, but lost 1-0 from a lousy deadball, had 0-0 all over it. Two nervous teams trying not to fluff it.

It was one of those matches. Personally, I would have played Willock because he keeps the ball better (or rather he keeps the ball!) than Smyth who is an impact player at this level, if that - still unproven in Championship. But understand the pace requirement coupled with Armstrong.

Tactics early on were good, hit them on the break, which we did twice with Armstrong and Smyth and should've scored on one of those occasions, but those players cannot do that seemingly. It was only going to be a one goal game.

I don't think we need to burn the house down after a narrow defeat, nor do we start plotting next year's promotion after a win. It's still tight. Still unknowable, no matter what we think we know. By the end of the season, we can still say 'told you so', even if we're just relying on a coin toss now in truth. We haven't seen this film before. It's still only February.
Marti got that one wrong on 11:51 - Feb 16 with 672 viewsellersliehoop

Marti got that one wrong on 11:45 - Feb 16 by TK1

Best post so far. I agree. We deserved something from the match. It was one of those games. Could've won 1-0, but lost 1-0 from a lousy deadball, had 0-0 all over it. Two nervous teams trying not to fluff it.

It was one of those matches. Personally, I would have played Willock because he keeps the ball better (or rather he keeps the ball!) than Smyth who is an impact player at this level, if that - still unproven in Championship. But understand the pace requirement coupled with Armstrong.

Tactics early on were good, hit them on the break, which we did twice with Armstrong and Smyth and should've scored on one of those occasions, but those players cannot do that seemingly. It was only going to be a one goal game.

I don't think we need to burn the house down after a narrow defeat, nor do we start plotting next year's promotion after a win. It's still tight. Still unknowable, no matter what we think we know. By the end of the season, we can still say 'told you so', even if we're just relying on a coin toss now in truth. We haven't seen this film before. It's still only February.

Smyth is definitely more effective coming off the bench. When he does well off the bench we think he should start, but when he does start he's ineffective
Marti got that one wrong on 16:00 - Feb 16 with 573 viewsParkRoyalR

Marti got that one wrong on 09:43 - Feb 16 by Northernr

Lot of people being very wise after the event here.

Maybe, but I posted about Marti's set-up and substitutions being wrong in a must not lose game at Milllwall,

The Stoke game was similar and he now has better players at his disposal and is still for me making mistakes and if you've got 3 ball playing 10's, your Plan A shldnt be whacking it over the top for Armstrong to chase.

I like industrial players who put a shift in, hence why I rate Field + Dunne.

We've solved our Dozzell playing with 10 men problem, fixed our CAM problem, just need to be patient and go back to possession football.
Marti got that one wrong on 16:01 - Feb 16 with 570 viewsNorthernr

Marti got that one wrong on 16:00 - Feb 16 by ParkRoyalR

Maybe, but I posted about Marti's set-up and substitutions being wrong in a must not lose game at Milllwall,

The Stoke game was similar and he now has better players at his disposal and is still for me making mistakes and if you've got 3 ball playing 10's, your Plan A shldnt be whacking it over the top for Armstrong to chase.

We've solved our Dozzell playing with 10 men problem, fixed our CAM problem, just need to be patient and go back to possession football.

59% of the possession Wednesday.
Login to get fewer ads

Marti got that one wrong on 16:08 - Feb 16 with 552 viewsParkRoyalR

Marti got that one wrong on 16:01 - Feb 16 by Northernr

Our attacking play just doesn't look patient + considered in the way it does when Chair + Willock and hopefully Hodge combine,

It looks basic + rushed and hoping the pace of Armstrong + Smyth will be the answer,

Be interesting to see the Starting XI at Bristol City.
Marti got that one wrong on 16:13 - Feb 16 with 548 viewsdaveB

Marti got that one wrong on 16:00 - Feb 16 by ParkRoyalR

I like Field but honestly don't think him starting at Stoke would have made any difference. We've conceded a lot of set piece goals with him in the team as well

I didn't think we tried the long ball upto Armstrong that much, especially second half, just seemed to be back to being very slow and pedestrian with the ball in midfield so had loads of the ball but did absolutely nothing with it.

Only thing I thought Marti got wrong was not getting subs on earlier but really none of them did much when they came on anyway so it's a small complaint
Marti got that one wrong on 16:13 - Feb 16 with 547 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Marti got that one wrong on 16:01 - Feb 16 by Northernr

We certainly had plenty of possession in the last half an hour, endlessly passing it round without getting anywhere, even though we were ostensibly looking for a goal. I think a lot of it comes back to what you've said before - when it comes to the big moments, our squad reverts to playing safe, no-risk football and no one is prepared to gamble. It's why Smyth is a better sub than starter as his pace gets us doing something differently in the last half-hour.
Marti got that one wrong on 16:23 - Feb 16 with 532 viewsParkRoyalR

Marti got that one wrong on 16:13 - Feb 16 by daveB

I like Field but honestly don't think him starting at Stoke would have made any difference. We've conceded a lot of set piece goals with him in the team as well

I didn't think we tried the long ball upto Armstrong that much, especially second half, just seemed to be back to being very slow and pedestrian with the ball in midfield so had loads of the ball but did absolutely nothing with it.

Only thing I thought Marti got wrong was not getting subs on earlier but really none of them did much when they came on anyway so it's a small complaint

Maybe, but I have watched our defensive set-up at corners since the Kolli / JCS debacle against the league leading scorers from set pieces at that time, Cardiff.

Field at the front of the 3 on the 6 yard line has been very effective and we have been miles better with this set-up as opposed to Colback and Cannon.

Field does put in game-changing tackles that lift the team and hopefully if Hadyn can reproduce his Norwich performance there is an argument to start Field and push the Full-Backs up past him.
Marti got that one wrong on 17:39 - Feb 16 with 477 viewsLblock

I really dont get this "long ball up to XXX" statement that has been made about us on lots of occasions

Of course the ball goes front to back sometimes but I hardly think we've been loading the cannons under Marti.
Maybe I'm missing it.

For me you NEED to mix it up a bit and if you spot a CB high with Sinclair then a ball down the channel or into space is great in my book. The big issue I saw with this on Wednesday was actually the few times Sincs escaped the pull backs there was nobody getting up to him for another attacking ball. This is forgivable as he's so damn quick BUT have a bit of kop on and stray offside opposite side of pitch to him and you'll nine times out of ten be "onside" as they seem to deem that second phase these days

Perfectly fine to be stretching games like this and I'd like to see this done again tomorrow with Handsie Rob about

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024