Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh language 23:55 - Feb 22 with 5033 viewsBoundy

Has anyone else noticed the not so subtle change in how recorded messages in large organisations such as the NHS or the council (Swansea) are now presented in Welsh first then followed in English ,considering the majority of the population's first language is English why has this change come about.Information on road signs /matrixs is also now becoming Welsh first and with at a cost

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh language on 10:17 - Mar 2 with 477 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 22:49 - Feb 29 by Kilkennyjack

Great post.

Welsh people hating on the welsh language is shameful.
They know the value of nothing.

These dullards are actually arguing that all languages should be ditched apart from English and Mandorin. Lucky people welcome diversity in language. Its priceless.

It’s great because yiu are of a same mindset
I see it as putrid,pitiful and puerile .
Grown men arguing about a bluddy language

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh language on 10:18 - Mar 2 with 474 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 20:58 - Mar 1 by lifelong

You derogatory remarks are aimed at all Welsh people, you have always done it and always will, you can’t help yourself.

You post like a clown.
You always have
You always will
Anything else

Welsh language on 10:23 - Mar 2 with 470 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 09:35 - Mar 2 by SgorioFruit

That's pretty obvious isn't it?
Of course Welsh isn't going to be much use to them outside of Wales.
And of course Spanish and French are more useful outside of Wales. So in that instance they should learn French and Spanish if they want to. So what is this issue here? The issue here is Welsh is taught in school in Wales? Jesus wept.
What about other compulsory subjects like science and technology? I hated them in school, however useful it might be, more useful than Welsh? Maybe, maybe not, but i hated them. I don't go on forums later on in life saying all science and technology should be scrapped.
It is down to personal choice. If your children have missed out because they learnt Welsh instead of French or Spanish, then what is stopping them moving to France or Spain?
There is no getting away from this is Wales, and Welsh is spoke.

Welsh speaking numbers dropping? I wouldn't pay attention to the figure nor the census. It is largely inaccurate.

Welsh is spoke ?
Not in most places ,Bach.
Fair play,you all stick together like glue

You prove my point

John Lange is the only one that can post sensibly on this issue . He highlights the insecurity of others who feel their language of choice is being attacked and themselves personally.

Note lifelong posts at me. Never less than personal,never on the topic ,and always puerile .
The word derogatory says it all.

It is not .

Welsh language on 11:53 - Mar 2 with 439 viewsunion_jack

The question as to whether Welsh should be taught in Welsh schools shouldn’t even be asked. Of course it should.

BUT it should be available to those who WANT TO learn it. It should NOT be compulsory. The only subjects that should be compulsory are those that are needed in life. This includes STEM subjects and English. The rest should be life enhancing skills of personal choice. If that is Welsh then it should be provided.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh language on 13:10 - Mar 2 with 416 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 11:53 - Mar 2 by union_jack

The question as to whether Welsh should be taught in Welsh schools shouldn’t even be asked. Of course it should.

BUT it should be available to those who WANT TO learn it. It should NOT be compulsory. The only subjects that should be compulsory are those that are needed in life. This includes STEM subjects and English. The rest should be life enhancing skills of personal choice. If that is Welsh then it should be provided.

Sense at last
It was thus when I started at Bishop Gore GS
In 1961,utterly irrelevant to a young Jack ,like me,even though all my father’s side spoke welsh to each other although they spoke to me in English .
Weird

Welsh language on 14:11 - Mar 2 with 399 viewsbuilthjack

Welsh language on 13:10 - Mar 2 by onehunglow

Sense at last
It was thus when I started at Bishop Gore GS
In 1961,utterly irrelevant to a young Jack ,like me,even though all my father’s side spoke welsh to each other although they spoke to me in English .
Weird

They probably thought "this kid isn't bright enough to understand Welsh".
It looks like they were right.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Welsh language on 14:14 - Mar 2 with 399 viewsonehunglow

Yep,a subject over which it is impossible to debate without rancour .

Welsh language on 14:23 - Mar 2 with 395 viewsSgorioFruit

Welsh language on 10:23 - Mar 2 by onehunglow

Welsh is spoke ?
Not in most places ,Bach.
Fair play,you all stick together like glue

You prove my point

John Lange is the only one that can post sensibly on this issue . He highlights the insecurity of others who feel their language of choice is being attacked and themselves personally.

Note lifelong posts at me. Never less than personal,never on the topic ,and always puerile .
The word derogatory says it all.

It is not .

Just stating facts.

You would be absolutely blown away if you stepped foot in my local town and hear what language people were speaking, Guess what language that is? I'll give you a clue, the town is in Wales, what language do you think you will hear? In fact you will hear at least two languages being spoken, Welsh and English. I have travelled, lived, worked and walked the length of Wales. I have heard many languages being spoken. Beautiful isn't it?

I have said it before, your posts indicate you have a problem with the language, as much as you keep saying you don't.
You always keep referring to a us and them mentality.

You and your way of life is not under any threat because of the Welsh language.

It is being spoke a lot more than you tend to think, and long may it continue, same as all languages.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh language on 14:24 - Mar 2 with 394 viewsSgorioFruit

spot on

Welsh language on 15:20 - Mar 2 with 367 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 14:23 - Mar 2 by SgorioFruit

Just stating facts.

You would be absolutely blown away if you stepped foot in my local town and hear what language people were speaking, Guess what language that is? I'll give you a clue, the town is in Wales, what language do you think you will hear? In fact you will hear at least two languages being spoken, Welsh and English. I have travelled, lived, worked and walked the length of Wales. I have heard many languages being spoken. Beautiful isn't it?

I have said it before, your posts indicate you have a problem with the language, as much as you keep saying you don't.
You always keep referring to a us and them mentality.

You and your way of life is not under any threat because of the Welsh language.

It is being spoke a lot more than you tend to think, and long may it continue, same as all languages.

My way of life?
Have you any idea of how ludicrous that looks in text

Good god man ,get a grip..

Welsh language on 17:48 - Mar 2 with 325 viewsGwyn737

I agree, but I don’t think anyone on the thread has disagreed with that stance.
Welsh language on 17:59 - Mar 2 with 319 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 17:48 - Mar 2 by Gwyn737

I agree, but I don’t think anyone on the thread has disagreed with that stance.

I’m not sure of that

Try speaking welsh in Connahs Quay or Queensferry or Shotton.

Welsh language on 18:07 - Mar 2 with 316 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh language on 09:35 - Mar 2 by SgorioFruit

That's pretty obvious isn't it?
Of course Welsh isn't going to be much use to them outside of Wales.
And of course Spanish and French are more useful outside of Wales. So in that instance they should learn French and Spanish if they want to. So what is this issue here? The issue here is Welsh is taught in school in Wales? Jesus wept.
What about other compulsory subjects like science and technology? I hated them in school, however useful it might be, more useful than Welsh? Maybe, maybe not, but i hated them. I don't go on forums later on in life saying all science and technology should be scrapped.
It is down to personal choice. If your children have missed out because they learnt Welsh instead of French or Spanish, then what is stopping them moving to France or Spain?
There is no getting away from this is Wales, and Welsh is spoke.

Welsh speaking numbers dropping? I wouldn't pay attention to the figure nor the census. It is largely inaccurate.

In amongst all that you say "IT IS DOWN TO PERSONAL CHOICE" and that is the point.

The core subjects are there because they are neccesary, because you need them no matter where you may choose to go later in life. Specially in these days of computer driven work.

Taking Welsh now isn't a choice, it is cimpulsory. If anybody wants to learn Welsh then great, good for them when it's their choice but Welsh hasn't been compulsory and most kids in Comprehensive have dropped it ASAP until it became compulsory.

What I don't understand is your opinion about the figure and the census, why do you say its not accurate? Would you say that if it showed the numbers rising?

This is Wales and Welsh is spoken but in nowhere near the numbers you claim. I rarely hear it spoken, not where I live, not where I work, not at the pubs before the football and that is a fact.
Welsh language on 18:25 - Mar 2 with 306 viewslifelong

Does this mean that the 440 Welsh medium schools in Wales teaching over a 110,000 pupils, should be converted to English medium schools and Welsh only taught to those who want it?
Welsh language on 18:30 - Mar 2 with 304 viewsSgorioFruit

Welsh language on 18:07 - Mar 2 by SullutaCreturned

In amongst all that you say "IT IS DOWN TO PERSONAL CHOICE" and that is the point.

The core subjects are there because they are neccesary, because you need them no matter where you may choose to go later in life. Specially in these days of computer driven work.

Taking Welsh now isn't a choice, it is cimpulsory. If anybody wants to learn Welsh then great, good for them when it's their choice but Welsh hasn't been compulsory and most kids in Comprehensive have dropped it ASAP until it became compulsory.

What I don't understand is your opinion about the figure and the census, why do you say its not accurate? Would you say that if it showed the numbers rising?

This is Wales and Welsh is spoken but in nowhere near the numbers you claim. I rarely hear it spoken, not where I live, not where I work, not at the pubs before the football and that is a fact.

Absolutely correct, it is down to personal choice.

Core subjects you mention, like what? Maths and the sciences? I have never used anything that i was or wasn't taught in schools. It was a complete waste of my time. And they should have had more choice in vocational courses rather than compulsory subjects.
I agree that Welsh should not be compulsory. It should be personal choice.

Regarding the figures and census. I know personally a handful of people that didn't even fill it out, and no one came banging their doors looking for them or imposing fines. So that's one little handful that old SgorioFruit knows. Not exactly big numbers. I also know another lot of people who refused to fill it out. I also know a few who didn't select Welsh speaker when they are Welsh speakers, for reasons only known to them. The list goes on and on.

There isn't any clear debate here, it is just half the contributors who get their knickers in the twist over the language, and the other half who either speak it or couldn't give a monkeys.

I am happy you don't hear Welsh being spoken, im happy if you did. If your debate is you don't hear Welsh being spoken, then that's your perspective. I hear it daily, and it's as normal as night follows day.
We can keep going round in circles with these convos, Welsh is spoken, maybe not in your world but it is in mine. So we will always disagree. Its the way we perceive it.

Welsh language on 18:32 - Mar 2 with 302 viewsSgorioFruit

Welsh language on 15:20 - Mar 2 by onehunglow

My way of life?
Have you any idea of how ludicrous that looks in text

Good god man ,get a grip..

How the hell did that hurt your feelings now?

Welsh language on 18:33 - Mar 2 with 301 viewsonehunglow

Gweiadur cymraeg .

Welsh language on 18:37 - Mar 2 with 293 viewsGwyn737

Welsh language on 18:30 - Mar 2 by SgorioFruit

Absolutely correct, it is down to personal choice.

Core subjects you mention, like what? Maths and the sciences? I have never used anything that i was or wasn't taught in schools. It was a complete waste of my time. And they should have had more choice in vocational courses rather than compulsory subjects.
I agree that Welsh should not be compulsory. It should be personal choice.

Regarding the figures and census. I know personally a handful of people that didn't even fill it out, and no one came banging their doors looking for them or imposing fines. So that's one little handful that old SgorioFruit knows. Not exactly big numbers. I also know another lot of people who refused to fill it out. I also know a few who didn't select Welsh speaker when they are Welsh speakers, for reasons only known to them. The list goes on and on.

There isn't any clear debate here, it is just half the contributors who get their knickers in the twist over the language, and the other half who either speak it or couldn't give a monkeys.

I am happy you don't hear Welsh being spoken, im happy if you did. If your debate is you don't hear Welsh being spoken, then that's your perspective. I hear it daily, and it's as normal as night follows day.
We can keep going round in circles with these convos, Welsh is spoken, maybe not in your world but it is in mine. So we will always disagree. Its the way we perceive it.

I suppose it comes down to if you want the language to endure or not.

It could be taught in primary school then a choice made in secondary 🤷🏻

For this to work with parental choice you’d have to make sure there are enough of each school places which isn’t easy.
Welsh language on 18:40 - Mar 2 with 289 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh language on 18:25 - Mar 2 by lifelong

Does this mean that the 440 Welsh medium schools in Wales teaching over a 110,000 pupils, should be converted to English medium schools and Welsh only taught to those who want it?

Well no, it's too late now and with Welsh being compulsory the nigh on 490,000 others in Wales (in full time education) have to learn Welsh too.

How many continue to use it once they leave education, we shall have to wait and see. officially though the numbers of Welsh speakers is still dropping.
Welsh language on 18:46 - Mar 2 with 273 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 18:40 - Mar 2 by SullutaCreturned

Well no, it's too late now and with Welsh being compulsory the nigh on 490,000 others in Wales (in full time education) have to learn Welsh too.

How many continue to use it once they leave education, we shall have to wait and see. officially though the numbers of Welsh speakers is still dropping.

I have three nephews and nieces that live in Flintshire
All have to take welsh.
All dislike it
None will ever speak it outside school and that’s because the village has virtually zero welsh speakers . This village is ten miles into Wales btw.
My has a friend who has kids in school near Penley.the same .
It is ludicrous and simply leads to derision .
It’s like those forced to play rugby at school later in life hating the game

Welsh language on 18:52 - Mar 2 with 269 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 18:40 - Mar 2 by SullutaCreturned

I would suggest that the Welsh lessons in those schools amount to a couple of lessons a week giving the pupils an opportunity to learn the language.
Welsh language on 18:57 - Mar 2 with 268 viewsonehunglow

Wife’s cousin moved to Flintshire . She is a senior social worker .
Couldn’t get a job in Flintshire council cos she couldn’t speak welsh .
Many “ workers” that come here can’t speak English but get employed

Welsh language on 19:03 - Mar 2 with 266 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 18:57 - Mar 2 by onehunglow

Wife’s cousin moved to Flintshire . She is a senior social worker .
Couldn’t get a job in Flintshire council cos she couldn’t speak welsh .
Many “ workers” that come here can’t speak English but get employed

There’s a Welsh medium primary school in London..wonderful.
Welsh language on 19:13 - Mar 2 with 250 viewsGwyn737

Something (hopefully) we can all agree on is that being bilingual in any 2 languages is very beneficial. I’m not talking about what a language can do for you, I’m talking about the advantages to brain development and general intelligence.

So I suppose the question is, why not Welsh in wales?
Welsh language on 19:20 - Mar 2 with 246 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 19:13 - Mar 2 by Gwyn737

Something (hopefully) we can all agree on is that being bilingual in any 2 languages is very beneficial. I’m not talking about what a language can do for you, I’m talking about the advantages to brain development and general intelligence.

So I suppose the question is, why not Welsh in wales?

Why not indeed.

I simply don’t see any problem with it, why it ruffles so many feathers on here is very odd.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024