Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh language 23:55 - Feb 22 with 5027 viewsBoundy

Has anyone else noticed the not so subtle change in how recorded messages in large organisations such as the NHS or the council (Swansea) are now presented in Welsh first then followed in English ,considering the majority of the population's first language is English why has this change come about.Information on road signs /matrixs is also now becoming Welsh first and with at a cost

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh language on 18:25 - Feb 28 with 761 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh language on 04:56 - Feb 24 by Kilkennyjack

As lexicographer Kory Stamper explains, “English has been borrowing words from other languages since its infancy.” As many as 350 other languages are represented and their linguistic contributions actually make up about 80% of English!

Maybe not as hilarious as you think ?

Its almost like the words Ambulance and say Entrepreneur are French, innit …?

I'm not sure what English has to do with it?

The words "Wales" and "Welsh" are from Germanic. Wales has taken words from Latin and even from French, so, what is your point?

The whole language evolved from Brythonic, ancient British to you. So what?
Welsh language on 19:23 - Feb 28 with 737 viewsbuilthjack

Young uns seem to be learning it, around my way anyway.
Good for them and long may it continue.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Welsh language on 20:33 - Feb 28 with 717 viewsFlashberryjack

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1136999024335099

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh language on 20:43 - Feb 28 with 697 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh language on 19:23 - Feb 28 by builthjack

Schools down our way are over subscribed and my neighbour who hails from a Welsh speaking family, is Welsh speaking himself is unable to get his son in to the local Welsh school.
Welsh language on 20:45 - Feb 28 with 696 viewsDr_Winston

Depends if they keep using it.

Both my nieces go/went to Welsh school. One hasn't used any Welsh at all since the day she left two years ago so the whole thing was a bit of a waste of time for her.

I doubt the youngest one will once she goes to college either.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh language on 21:40 - Feb 28 with 659 viewsReslovenSwan1

I watch a youtube clip by Patrick Lankaster a well known pro Russian blogger.

He sat with an old bloke about 75 in now Russian occupied Avdiivka.

The old bloke told him he lost all his family weeping his house children and all his pigeons since 2022.

Lankaster asked him if the Russians had be kind and polite. He said "da". Did the Ukrainians mistreat you. "we did not mix with them " .

"Did you vote in the referendum" - he could not remember.

Where did it all go wrong.? asked Lankaster.

"When those bast@rds brought in compulsory Ukrainian in schools".

" I was happy to see the Russian soldiers when I came out of my bunker. I have not had a bath for two years".

Wise sage since Toshack era

Welsh language on 22:15 - Feb 28 with 634 viewsGwyn737

Welsh language on 20:45 - Feb 28 by Dr_Winston

Both my nieces go/went to Welsh school. One hasn't used any Welsh at all since the day she left two years ago so the whole thing was a bit of a waste of time for her.

Thesres lots of neuroscience research on the benefits of being bilingual, whether it’s used after schooling or not.
Welsh language on 22:19 - Feb 28 with 632 viewsDr_Winston

Welsh language on 22:15 - Feb 28 by Gwyn737

Thesres lots of neuroscience research on the benefits of being bilingual, whether it’s used after schooling or not.

In which case it's better to teach kids in a language that may be of actual use rather than Welsh.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh language on 22:21 - Feb 28 with 629 viewsGwyn737

Welsh language on 22:19 - Feb 28 by Dr_Winston

In which case it's better to teach kids in a language that may be of actual use rather than Welsh.

Could be tricky to set up Spanish schools.
Welsh language on 22:32 - Feb 28 with 625 viewsDr_Winston

Welsh language on 22:21 - Feb 28 by Gwyn737

Indeed.

So might as well just stick to English language schools but offer support when learning useful languages rather than pissing away Lord knows how many millions teaching kids how to speak Welsh.

Welsh language on 23:34 - Feb 28 with 598 viewslifelong

Isn’t it wonderful that the language is still alive and kicking with young people. To think that just over a 100 years ago teachers would be beating those children to stop them speaking it.

Yma o Hyd.
Welsh language on 08:29 - Feb 29 with 552 viewsGwyn737

Welsh language on 22:32 - Feb 28 by Dr_Winston

Indeed.

So might as well just stick to English language schools but offer support when learning useful languages rather than pissing away Lord knows how many millions teaching kids how to speak Welsh.

And ingnore the wishes of parents who want a Welsh medium education?
Welsh language on 09:00 - Feb 29 with 536 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh language on 08:29 - Feb 29 by Gwyn737

But do the parents understand all the implications. Welsh media schools are fine as long as they are able to give the support needed to those with specific needs to the same level as English speaking schools. If you take dyslexia as an example, do the Welsh speaking schools have the same support in place, both in detection and after diagnosis support, personally I believe this is not the case.
Welsh language on 09:21 - Feb 29 with 506 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 08:29 - Feb 29 by Gwyn737

Parents wishes?
Some are rather perverse

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh language on 10:25 - Feb 29 with 473 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh language on 09:00 - Feb 29 by Whiterockin

But do the parents understand all the implications. Welsh media schools are fine as long as they are able to give the support needed to those with specific needs to the same level as English speaking schools. If you take dyslexia as an example, do the Welsh speaking schools have the same support in place, both in detection and after diagnosis support, personally I believe this is not the case.

Based on my experience as a school governor they did hove the required support, it’s a requirement.
Welsh language on 10:33 - Feb 29 with 464 viewsGwyn737

Welsh language on 09:00 - Feb 29 by Whiterockin

They should do. Statutory responsibilities and the SEND Code of Practice doesn't distinguish by school type.

There will always be some natural variation as there will be with English medium schools.
Welsh language on 10:35 - Feb 29 with 464 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh language on 10:25 - Feb 29 by majorraglan

Based on my experience as a school governor they did hove the required support, it’s a requirement.

We will agree to disagree that although they have a certain amount of support in place it in no way is on a level to match English media schools.

EDIT

As a school governor you might find this article of interest. There are many similar.

https://edpsy.org.uk/blog/2024/what-can-eps-do-to-support-welsh-medium-children-
[Post edited 29 Feb 10:46]
Welsh language on 15:43 - Feb 29 with 402 viewsGwyn737

Welsh language on 10:35 - Feb 29 by Whiterockin

We will agree to disagree that although they have a certain amount of support in place it in no way is on a level to match English media schools.

EDIT

As a school governor you might find this article of interest. There are many similar.

https://edpsy.org.uk/blog/2024/what-can-eps-do-to-support-welsh-medium-children-
[Post edited 29 Feb 10:46]

I get the shortage of EPs is an issue but there’s a good argument that creating fewer Welsh speakers will lead to fewer Welsh speaking EPs.

When it comes to specifics like dyslexia, the biggest issues are most often around phonological awareness, managing cognitive load/working memory and processing.

This could definitely cause issues for dyslexic children who go into school without fluent Welsh, however long term research shows that bilingual people outperform monoglots.

As always there will be exceptions to this 👍
Welsh language on 16:36 - Feb 29 with 376 viewsSgorioFruit

Welsh language on 22:32 - Feb 28 by Dr_Winston

Indeed.

Other languages useful for what? When they go on holiday abroad?
Watching Spanish football on TV?
Or maybe work as a translator in London for visiting dignitaries?

My kids go to a Welsh school, the whole school speaks Welsh, the community is Welsh, their friends speak in Welsh in and out of school. And we are only 15 min drive from Swansea.

I do enjoy these debates and convo's on here. There is never anyone who is right, or wrong, it is down to personal choice and opinions. (although some on here think we speak Welsh in order to look down on people who don't speak Welsh, evidence of which i am yet to see.)
Your opinion is that teaching kids to speak Welsh is a waste of money. My opinion, is that it is part of every day life here, without any second thought going into it. No extra money has been spent here, it is a welsh speaking school the kids go to, just like there is an English speaking school in the town.
And long may it continue.

Wait for this bit.... it will blow you socks off, the secondary school is bilingual, and let's children choose what subjects or percentage of their study year that is delivered in Welsh or English.
[Post edited 29 Feb 16:39]

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Welsh language on 17:54 - Feb 29 with 337 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh language on 22:19 - Feb 28 by Dr_Winston

Welsh is a language of use. Where I live there’s quite a few Welsh speakers and I have to use the language when I deal with people. I get a much better response when I speak to people in Welsh than I do in English.
Welsh language on 18:06 - Feb 29 with 308 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh language on 22:21 - Feb 28 by Gwyn737

My schoolback in the day had German, French and Spanish on the curriculum; My sons school has Spanish and French on its, and Welsh obviously in both cases.

The thing is gwyn, I don't object to people learning Welsh but I do think it should be a choice.
My son doesn't want to do Welsh. His big ambition seems to be to get out of Wales, to travel, see the world, in which case Spanish or French are much more useful. Isn't that the point of eucation, for kids to make choices so they can live the life they want?
Welsh language on 18:06 - Feb 29 with 308 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh language on 20:45 - Feb 28 by Dr_Winston

I grew up in a non Welsh speaking home but my parents wanted me to be able to speak Welsh and I attended a Welsh school. Outside of school there was very limited Welsh and after leaving school I spoke very little Welsh for about 10 years.
That all changed when I took a new job in my mid 20s, I found myself working with a lot of Welsh speakers and in areas where there was a lot of Welsh speaking. It was like riding a bike and I was back up to my previous levels within a short space of time. Living and working where I do now, the ability to speak Welsh makes a huge difference.
Welsh language on 18:24 - Feb 29 with 301 viewsGwyn737

Welsh language on 18:06 - Feb 29 by SullutaCreturned

My schoolback in the day had German, French and Spanish on the curriculum; My sons school has Spanish and French on its, and Welsh obviously in both cases.

The thing is gwyn, I don't object to people learning Welsh but I do think it should be a choice.
My son doesn't want to do Welsh. His big ambition seems to be to get out of Wales, to travel, see the world, in which case Spanish or French are much more useful. Isn't that the point of eucation, for kids to make choices so they can live the life they want?

I absolutely agree with you, Cat.

I was coming from the perspective of Welsh medium schools.

As for your last sentence, I wish that were true. The level of accountability is so high now that choice has been taken away children and they have to be marched through the system.

It’s all academies around my place - I’m one of the last maintained schools that has free choice over what we do.

We do loads of sport and music which I’m passionate about. This is fine while standards are decent but as soon as there’s a year of bad results that’ll be me gone and with me all the balance in the curriculum.
Welsh language on 18:41 - Feb 29 with 286 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh language on 18:24 - Feb 29 by Gwyn737

I absolutely agree with you, Cat.

I was coming from the perspective of Welsh medium schools.

As for your last sentence, I wish that were true. The level of accountability is so high now that choice has been taken away children and they have to be marched through the system.

It’s all academies around my place - I’m one of the last maintained schools that has free choice over what we do.

We do loads of sport and music which I’m passionate about. This is fine while standards are decent but as soon as there’s a year of bad results that’ll be me gone and with me all the balance in the curriculum.

It's wrong mate. We don't teach kids to think, we don't allow them to grow, we make them fit a one size education where they are shown how to pass exams rather than be challenged and have to actually learn and think to get goofd grades.

My son's latest school report is pretty good BUT he tells me he does nothing in school and I have seen nothing to challenge that.
Welsh language on 18:44 - Feb 29 with 284 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 16:36 - Feb 29 by SgorioFruit

Other languages useful for what? When they go on holiday abroad?
Watching Spanish football on TV?
Or maybe work as a translator in London for visiting dignitaries?

My kids go to a Welsh school, the whole school speaks Welsh, the community is Welsh, their friends speak in Welsh in and out of school. And we are only 15 min drive from Swansea.

I do enjoy these debates and convo's on here. There is never anyone who is right, or wrong, it is down to personal choice and opinions. (although some on here think we speak Welsh in order to look down on people who don't speak Welsh, evidence of which i am yet to see.)
Your opinion is that teaching kids to speak Welsh is a waste of money. My opinion, is that it is part of every day life here, without any second thought going into it. No extra money has been spent here, it is a welsh speaking school the kids go to, just like there is an English speaking school in the town.
And long may it continue.

Wait for this bit.... it will blow you socks off, the secondary school is bilingual, and let's children choose what subjects or percentage of their study year that is delivered in Welsh or English.
[Post edited 29 Feb 16:39]

Try working for a multinational company who's hq is in Milan
The delegates are from six different countries
I guarantee you the lingual francs will be English .
Socially , in that business circle, Welsh is an utter irrelevance
Knowledge of Spanish , French, German, Italian , Greek , Portuguese are far better communication tools
Welsh has significant sentimental connotations and it's why much questioning of its use leads to defensive comments that get personal
Everyone speaks English and nobody should be marginalised because they don't
Try beiing English speaking on a tiny north Wales town

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024