Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh language 23:55 - Feb 22 with 5031 viewsBoundy

Has anyone else noticed the not so subtle change in how recorded messages in large organisations such as the NHS or the council (Swansea) are now presented in Welsh first then followed in English ,considering the majority of the population's first language is English why has this change come about.Information on road signs /matrixs is also now becoming Welsh first and with at a cost

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh language on 17:40 - Feb 23 with 1083 viewsWingstandwood

Welsh language on 17:30 - Feb 23 by builthjack

You usually find that the ones who can't do something are the biggest moaners about it.

Argus!

Welsh language on 17:47 - Feb 23 with 1071 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 17:40 - Feb 23 by Wingstandwood

Fala Portuguese !

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh language on 20:32 - Feb 23 with 1012 viewsBoundy

Welsh language on 16:53 - Feb 23 by JumpingJackFlash

Popti ping is a great after dinner anecdote but, of course, it's bollocks and an urban myth.

Not with everyone I know go in any welsh mess room and I bet most will know what it means

Welsh language on 20:53 - Feb 23 with 983 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Welsh language on 20:32 - Feb 23 by Boundy

Not with everyone I know go in any welsh mess room and I bet most will know what it means

Of course they know what it means.

It's just not Welsh for microwave.
Welsh language on 22:57 - Feb 23 with 945 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Welsh language on 12:11 - Feb 23 by Kilkennyjack

Many people would call it beautiful.

When you only speak one language then it tends to reject anything else. Thats a shame as these people do miss out on whats around them. Ancient and of beauty.

Yes good point it is very true Tolkien loved welsh. The language of the Sindar elves is very heavily inspired by welsh. He famously hated Gaelic though.

He was also very critical of what wales had become particularly when it came to the “ghastly mines and seaside resorts”.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Welsh language on 04:56 - Feb 24 with 895 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh language on 15:47 - Feb 23 by Wingstandwood

It's the plagiarism of ENGLISH words that I found really hilarious with my Hendy gran, a case of end English words with a few extra letters and "Bobs your uncle".

It had truly gotten to the stage where many were making it up as it was going along!

"Broadbandwch"?????

[Post edited 23 Feb 15:48]

As lexicographer Kory Stamper explains, “English has been borrowing words from other languages since its infancy.” As many as 350 other languages are represented and their linguistic contributions actually make up about 80% of English!

Maybe not as hilarious as you think ?

Its almost like the words Ambulance and say Entrepreneur are French, innit …?

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh language on 05:00 - Feb 24 with 893 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh language on 12:52 - Feb 23 by Wingstandwood

What makes it even more hilarious is one lot speaks a different type of Welsh to another lot that speaks a more slang 'non grammatical' version.

I can always remember showing the bog standard text book (written in Aberystwyth ???) for 1970's/80' student learning called Siarad Cymraeg 2 to my gran, and it might as well have been written in Chinese!

You see Welsh speaking SW Wales strongholds like Hendy, Felindre and Craig Cefn Parc etc Welsh were often speaking a foreign Welsh dialect to what was written in school books.

FFS not only is Wales now recognised as an economically backward country with D- public services? But? Cannot even get a uniformed form of its 'second tongue' after English.

Its almost like an ancient language, like Welsh, belongs to the people.

And not to academics, and not to the BBC.

Welsh language on 07:54 - Feb 24 with 886 viewsBoundy

Welsh language on 20:53 - Feb 23 by JumpingJackFlash

Of course they know what it means.

It's just not Welsh for microwave.

Albanian for goat herder ?

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh language on 09:04 - Feb 24 with 861 viewsonehunglow

How about this
Language before lives
My God ,is that important

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68169904

Welsh language on 09:51 - Feb 24 with 849 viewsDr_Winston

I'd say that the focus and funding given to the Welsh language is excessive when you consider the amount of people who speak it, and I'm not talking about the 20% or so who understand a few words and tend to get lumped in the "Welsh Speaking" category by those looking to inflate the numbers, but the genuinely bilingual fluent types.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh language on 10:32 - Feb 24 with 832 viewsSullutaCreturned

You usually find that the ones who can't do something are the biggest moaners about it.

That must be why, whenever i've watched PM's questions or the FM's questions all the politicians are busy moaning at each other then.
Welsh language on 10:58 - Feb 24 with 815 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 09:04 - Feb 24 by onehunglow

How about this
Language before lives
My God ,is that important

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68169904

Have I missed something there but what has this got to do with the Welsh language?
Welsh language on 15:19 - Feb 24 with 766 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 10:58 - Feb 24 by lifelong

Have I missed something there but what has this got to do with the Welsh language?

A lifeboat effectively stopped because its leader speaks only Welsh to other crew member whom he knows don’t speak welsh
This a lifeboat
This the RNLI

Welsh language on 16:35 - Feb 24 with 760 viewsSgorioFruit

exactly this

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Welsh language on 16:38 - Feb 24 with 755 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 16:35 - Feb 24 by SgorioFruit

exactly this

It’s exactly this as you agree as you’re a welsh speaker .
You are a minority.

Welsh language on 18:08 - Feb 24 with 730 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 15:19 - Feb 24 by onehunglow

A lifeboat effectively stopped because its leader speaks only Welsh to other crew member whom he knows don’t speak welsh
This a lifeboat
This the RNLI

I can find nothing on the internet that states that this is the reason of the closure.
Welsh language on 18:12 - Feb 24 with 720 viewsonehunglow

Questioning the language leads to whole scale @buse,insult,squabbling and civil strife .
It IS and always has been the most divisive part of welsh life.
You are judged over a language
Over everything else .
It is shameful.

Meanwhile Pwllheli lifeboat is out of action as the crew can’t agree to speak the same language .
Just wtf
Lives might be lost overa forking language
In many ways,it’s a curse .

Maybe in all ways

I “ hate” this shyte

Welsh language on 18:30 - Feb 24 with 707 viewsSgorioFruit

Welsh language on 16:38 - Feb 24 by onehunglow

It’s exactly this as you agree as you’re a welsh speaker .
You are a minority.

Minority? Yeh that's good, that's fine with me. I am not fluent, I have taught myself enough to get by. If it is a minority language, I might just lose some sleep tonight. Not.

I spoke Cymraeg today with people I know at the Ammanford v Briton Ferry game. Done it without even thinking I was speaking it. Just comes naturally now. What a lovely afternoon, coupled with a hell of a win over our promotional rivals.

My kids are fluent, and we live in a Welsh speaking community 15 mins away from Swansea (depending on how fast you drive).
You simply do not hear Cymraeg being spoke on the streets of where I grew up in Morriston. But I hear it every day when I leave my front door now.
What is the difference you may ask? Nothing, the difference is nothing. You have one life to live. Be happy and speak whatever language you want to speak.

I have no problems at all with the Gymraeg, however it seems you have some issues with the language. I hope you find peace with it at some point.

Have a good evening all.

SgorioFruit out!!!

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Welsh language on 18:49 - Feb 24 with 695 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 18:30 - Feb 24 by SgorioFruit

Minority? Yeh that's good, that's fine with me. I am not fluent, I have taught myself enough to get by. If it is a minority language, I might just lose some sleep tonight. Not.

I spoke Cymraeg today with people I know at the Ammanford v Briton Ferry game. Done it without even thinking I was speaking it. Just comes naturally now. What a lovely afternoon, coupled with a hell of a win over our promotional rivals.

My kids are fluent, and we live in a Welsh speaking community 15 mins away from Swansea (depending on how fast you drive).
You simply do not hear Cymraeg being spoke on the streets of where I grew up in Morriston. But I hear it every day when I leave my front door now.
What is the difference you may ask? Nothing, the difference is nothing. You have one life to live. Be happy and speak whatever language you want to speak.

I have no problems at all with the Gymraeg, however it seems you have some issues with the language. I hope you find peace with it at some point.

Have a good evening all.

SgorioFruit out!!!

No. I don’t have issue with the language per se,just the division it causes

And yes, welsh speakers are a minority and nothing “ wrong” with that except like most minorities they take it personally.

It’s a language,no more ,no less .

Welsh language on 18:51 - Feb 24 with 690 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 18:30 - Feb 24 by SgorioFruit

Have a good evening all.

SgorioFruit out!!!

My “ kids” speak five languages between them all of which help them within the continent of Europe in which we live .
Few speak Welsh outside Wales

Welsh language on 13:02 - Feb 25 with 600 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh language on 18:51 - Feb 24 by onehunglow

My “ kids” speak five languages between them all of which help them within the continent of Europe in which we live .
Few speak Welsh outside Wales

OHL - its not a bid for world domination.

Its just normal people trying to keep our ancient language alive ….however much or however little you can speak.

How brilliant to have 2 languages rather than 1.

Welsh language on 13:57 - Feb 25 with 586 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 13:02 - Feb 25 by Kilkennyjack

OHL - its not a bid for world domination.

Its just normal people trying to keep our ancient language alive ….however much or however little you can speak.

How brilliant to have 2 languages rather than 1.

It will always survive
It has endured through centuries
You ll note my fathers side Welsh speakers , my mums monoglot Sandfields
It wasn't a great upbringing
Two of my aunts got married in Welsh chapel in Manselton

Welsh language on 08:50 - Feb 28 with 426 viewsowainglyndwr

Welsh language on 12:11 - Feb 23 by Kilkennyjack

Many people would call it beautiful.

When you only speak one language then it tends to reject anything else. Thats a shame as these people do miss out on whats around them. Ancient and of beauty.

The English tried for hundreds of years to dilute or even stop and kill the language off ,
Luckily now it's returning more , especially North of swansea and surrounding areas .
These days if you want your child to attend a welsh speaking school yiu more or less need to register them from birth
Welsh language on 10:54 - Feb 28 with 379 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Welsh language on 04:56 - Feb 24 by Kilkennyjack

As lexicographer Kory Stamper explains, “English has been borrowing words from other languages since its infancy.” As many as 350 other languages are represented and their linguistic contributions actually make up about 80% of English!

Maybe not as hilarious as you think ?

Its almost like the words Ambulance and say Entrepreneur are French, innit …?

All languages borrow words from each other.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Welsh language on 11:24 - Feb 28 with 365 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 10:54 - Feb 28 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

All languages borrow words from each other.

Indeed Joesus.
I believe there are many words in Welsh that can’t be translated .
It’s not unlike Le Weekend which the French detest as it’s an English word.
Strangely ,in Quebec ,where English is very often detested too,Weekend is “ le fin de semaine “,literally the end of the week. This so,English is not used.

Language eh
[Post edited 28 Feb 11:26]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024