Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kick off times 10:16 - Mar 17 with 1505 viewsDr_Winston

Am I alone in preferring the earlier kick offs rather than waiting until 3pm?

I get 60-70 years ago when a lot more people worked a Saturday morning in industry a mid afternoon kick off time made more sense. These days to me it's almost a waste of a day hanging around until then.

Much prefer it when the game is basically done and dusted by two/half two and you've still got the rest of Saturday to do other things, even if all people want to do is sit in a pub. Especially in Winter when it would make a lot more sense to do as much in limited daylight as possible.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Kick off times on 10:19 - Mar 17 with 1267 views3swan

You do remember that our fans travel far and wide (away and HOME games)

Kick off times on 10:20 - Mar 17 with 1251 viewsonehunglow

Kick off times on 10:19 - Mar 17 by 3swan

Ok for home games but not away
For tv viewers ,it all depends on family plans

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Kick off times on 10:21 - Mar 17 with 1253 viewsWhiterockin

Im a bit of a traditionalist, 3pm for me everytime. Meet my mates spot of lunch and a couple of beers, in the ground for 2.30 is just a perfect Saturday. Especially when we win.
Kick off times on 10:23 - Mar 17 with 1243 viewsDr_Winston

Kick off times on 10:19 - Mar 17 by 3swan

Even if someone is coming from the Midlands, they could leave the house at 8am and easily make a half twelve or 1pm kick off.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Kick off times on 10:25 - Mar 17 with 1235 views3swan

Kick off times on 10:23 - Mar 17 by Dr_Winston

Even if someone is coming from the Midlands, they could leave the house at 8am and easily make a half twelve or 1pm kick off.

Got to have breakfast first

Seriously though I would go for a 1 or 1.30 k.o
Kick off times on 10:30 - Mar 17 with 1211 viewsDr_Winston

Kick off times on 10:25 - Mar 17 by 3swan

1pm would do me.

Game over by 3pm with still the best part of two hours or so of daylight left even in Winter to do other things.

Kick off times on 10:38 - Mar 17 with 1186 viewspembsjack

3pm on a Saturday for me. But I do travel from about I do travel from south West Pembrokeshire and I'm not a morning type of person!
Kick off times on 10:51 - Mar 17 with 1162 viewsjack247

The beauty of this system is there are games on all day. Nice to have a pint before or after the Swans with another game in the background.

I broadly agree though. I’d be happy with more lunchtime kick offs as long as there were still 3pm and early evening games on. Don’t really know why, but I never really get anything done before games, I do after the early kick offs.
Login to get fewer ads

Kick off times on 17:19 - Mar 17 with 1039 viewsDr_Winston

Kick off times on 10:38 - Mar 17 by pembsjack

3pm on a Saturday for me. But I do travel from about I do travel from south West Pembrokeshire and I'm not a morning type of person!

South West Pembs is lovely. Mrs. Winston and I have our eye on Lamphey as a possible future residence.

If we do, it'd be nicer if most of my drive home from games took place in daylight.

Kick off times on 17:52 - Mar 17 with 1006 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Kick off times on 10:25 - Mar 17 by 3swan

Swansea have several trips of between 250 to 300 miles. Sunderland, Norwich Ipswich Plymouth Middlesbrough etc. That would mean leaving around 5 to 6am to for a 1pm kick off.
The same for those teams visiting us.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Kick off times on 17:53 - Mar 17 with 1003 viewsDr_Winston

Kick off times on 17:52 - Mar 17 by felixstowe_jack

Swansea have several trips of between 250 to 300 miles. Sunderland, Norwich Ipswich Plymouth Middlesbrough etc. That would mean leaving around 5 to 6am to for a 1pm kick off.

And they'd get home before midnight.

Kick off times on 17:59 - Mar 17 with 989 viewsjack247

Kick off times on 17:52 - Mar 17 by felixstowe_jack

It would be easy enough to manage that. Say half the Saturday games kick off at 12.30, half at 3.00, with the occasional 5.30 game.

If we’re playing Sunderland, make that a 3.00
Kick off times on 18:03 - Mar 17 with 977 viewsWhiterockin

Kick off times on 17:59 - Mar 17 by jack247

It would be easy enough to manage that. Say half the Saturday games kick off at 12.30, half at 3.00, with the occasional 5.30 game.

If we’re playing Sunderland, make that a 3.00

It could well be like that when the next championship broadcasting contract is settled. They are talking about the possibility of all matches being streamed live.
Kick off times on 18:08 - Mar 17 with 963 viewsjack247

Kick off times on 18:03 - Mar 17 by Whiterockin

It could well be like that when the next championship broadcasting contract is settled. They are talking about the possibility of all matches being streamed live.

They can’t fight that. They may as well accept it and price it competitively enough to make people at least consider watching through official channels.
Kick off times on 18:11 - Mar 17 with 955 viewspembsjack

Kick off times on 17:19 - Mar 17 by Dr_Winston

South West Pembs is lovely. Mrs. Winston and I have our eye on Lamphey as a possible future residence.

If we do, it'd be nicer if most of my drive home from games took place in daylight.

Lovely area, you won't be disappointed.
Kick off times on 18:24 - Mar 17 with 940 viewsFlashberryjack

If all our games kicked off at 12:30, that would be the end of my ST.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Kick off times on 19:05 - Mar 17 with 897 viewsKeithHaynes

Not all fans are in Swansea, in fact the M4 was busy yesterday up to Bristol and London with Jacks.
A one off yes, but there has to be some sense applied. I think …
There has to be so many 3pm kick offs ?
Could be a memory from 1982.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Kick off times on 21:46 - Mar 17 with 784 viewsBoundy

Kick off times on 10:23 - Mar 17 by Dr_Winston

As small as it is the Junior league kick off times could affect attendance should they change to mid day KO's , I know yesterday the league brought forward KO times by an hour ( 09:30) to accommodate the Swans KO , its bad enough travelling to somewhere like s Gower in normal circumstances . The kids are the future either playing or supporting so unless they changed it to a Sunday ( another problem as a lot of kids play rugby on that day to avoid clashing ) then I cant see the KO times changing, but then again when has grass roots football ever mattered

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Kick off times on 22:04 - Mar 17 with 767 viewsWhiterockin

Kick off times on 21:46 - Mar 17 by Boundy

As small as it is the Junior league kick off times could affect attendance should they change to mid day KO's , I know yesterday the league brought forward KO times by an hour ( 09:30) to accommodate the Swans KO , its bad enough travelling to somewhere like s Gower in normal circumstances . The kids are the future either playing or supporting so unless they changed it to a Sunday ( another problem as a lot of kids play rugby on that day to avoid clashing ) then I cant see the KO times changing, but then again when has grass roots football ever mattered

Football has always been 3pm on a Saturday for a reason, it's tweaked for TV because they pay big bucks, that should be enough.
Kick off times on 06:43 - Mar 18 with 669 viewsDr_Winston

Kick off times on 21:46 - Mar 17 by Boundy

I'd be tempted to shift the local leagues to a Summer schedule at all ages. Less likely for games to be called off, easier to play evening games, easier for kids (and parents) to get along to Swans games so it may even increase participation/attendance at both.

This is kinda what I'm getting at. Things are done because that's the way they've always been done for decades. Football started out as a Winter sport in the UK because at the time Cricket was king. Certainly not these days.

Whilst I wouldn't suggest changing the professional season, I don't see why we can't consider if there are better options for most other things.
[Post edited 18 Mar 7:59]

Kick off times on 07:01 - Mar 18 with 653 viewsbuilthjack

A lot still work on Saturday mornings. So 3pm is best.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Kick off times on 08:59 - Mar 18 with 586 viewsonehunglow

If you are contemplating “ semi retirement “ ,I would consider taking full retirement as you never know what the future brings .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Kick off times on 09:40 - Mar 18 with 571 viewsWhiterockin

Kick off times on 06:43 - Mar 18 by Dr_Winston

I'd be tempted to shift the local leagues to a Summer schedule at all ages. Less likely for games to be called off, easier to play evening games, easier for kids (and parents) to get along to Swans games so it may even increase participation/attendance at both.

This is kinda what I'm getting at. Things are done because that's the way they've always been done for decades. Football started out as a Winter sport in the UK because at the time Cricket was king. Certainly not these days.

Whilst I wouldn't suggest changing the professional season, I don't see why we can't consider if there are better options for most other things.
[Post edited 18 Mar 7:59]

The problem with local leagues playing in the summer are holidays. Many are away for 2 weeks possibly meaning 3 weekends, parents often can only book "full" weeks and can't go midweek. This would mean the stronger squads would have an advantage and the clubs with smaller numbers down to the bare bones or actually needing to cancel matches. I have actually seen it with my grandchildren's clubs when they try to organise things, friendlies, training ect, it's not that the kids don't want to turn up they are just away. That is without the school matches that can't be moved.
Kick off times on 13:14 - Mar 18 with 466 viewsCleddau

Lovely village. I grew up in Lamphey and even though work took me away to England some years back, I still have the family home there, where I spent last week. I'm retired now but still have a child in education so can't fully move back to Lamphey just yet.
Kick off times on 15:03 - Mar 18 with 402 viewsDr_Winston

Kick off times on 13:14 - Mar 18 by Cleddau

Lovely village. I grew up in Lamphey and even though work took me away to England some years back, I still have the family home there, where I spent last week. I'm retired now but still have a child in education so can't fully move back to Lamphey just yet.

Mrs. Winston and I treated ourselves to a stay at the Best Western a few years ago. We went for a stroll around the village and it's probably the first time we've ever gone anywhere and agreed almost instantly that we could both happily live there.

20 minutes on the train from Tenby. Half an hour's walk from Freshwater East. Nice local pub and a big Tesco in Pembroke if needs be. Plus another mate of mine is planning to retire to St. Florence so that's shared lifts back for Swans games.
[Post edited 18 Mar 15:08]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024