Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate’s replacement. 10:33 - May 20 with 8810 viewsSnipper

With Southgate more than likely going after this summers Euro’s, who do you think will replace him, or who would you like?

Personally, I think the FA should beak the bank and go for Pep Guardiola. I honestly think that if he’d have been in charge for the last two tournaments, England would already be European and World champions.
Southgate’s replacement. on 09:07 - May 21 with 1436 viewsMonkey_Roots

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:14 - May 20 by lassel

Word is that after City he will go over to New York City

What is your story lassel?

You always seem to have the word on the street, in the know type wisdom… where do you work, who do you know, who’s ear do you have?
Southgate’s replacement. on 09:24 - May 21 with 1382 viewsTheChef

Southgate’s replacement. on 21:02 - May 20 by daveB

his first choice left back getting injured and John Stones falling out of favour isn't really his fault

I still bet the first game, CBs will be Maguire and Stones.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Southgate’s replacement. on 09:27 - May 21 with 1370 viewsTheChef

Southgate’s replacement. on 09:06 - May 21 by daveB

it's also far more risk of not working, international football usually sees the best defence and more pragmatic team win the tournaments rather than the best attack. France have the best of both worlds at the moment which is why they should be favourites

Well true, sadly it's a lot more dull though. Especially when you look at the attacking riches we have.

Anyway the main issue with Southgate is making effective changes during the game particularly against the stronger sides. You'd hope he's learnt over time but it seems he hasn't.

Southgate’s replacement. on 09:38 - May 21 with 1340 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 09:27 - May 21 by TheChef

Well true, sadly it's a lot more dull though. Especially when you look at the attacking riches we have.

Anyway the main issue with Southgate is making effective changes during the game particularly against the stronger sides. You'd hope he's learnt over time but it seems he hasn't.

yeah I do think thats where he has fallen short, I thought he got his subs wrong in the final and in the French game as well and it's those tiny details which are the difference at the moment

I doubt we've ever had a manager who is so experienced at tournament football as a player, under 21 manager and now England manager, must have been to 8/9 in his career so you'd hope he is as well prepared as anyone can be for this
Southgate’s replacement. on 10:04 - May 21 with 1279 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Southgate’s replacement. on 09:38 - May 21 by daveB

yeah I do think thats where he has fallen short, I thought he got his subs wrong in the final and in the French game as well and it's those tiny details which are the difference at the moment

I doubt we've ever had a manager who is so experienced at tournament football as a player, under 21 manager and now England manager, must have been to 8/9 in his career so you'd hope he is as well prepared as anyone can be for this

Would love to see a head to head with the top ten ranked nations.

I suspect it's not actually true (the always loses against better nations)
[Post edited 21 May 10:07]
Southgate’s replacement. on 10:23 - May 21 with 1246 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I think he's done a fantastic job creating a club atmosphere at international level, he's a marked improvement on many of his predecessors,and he's got us close so many times.

However, when it comes to those key games where you're within touching distance of glory, I don't think he's the man that can take that extra step.

I guess another way to look at it: what do you think Southgate would have done if he'd been at City for the last seven years?

Southgate has set an exceptionally high benchmark for who ever will succeed him but given the players we've currently git, I do wonder what Pep or Klopp would do with them.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:29 - May 21 with 1243 viewsBAWHoops

Southgate’s replacement. on 01:13 - May 21 by Ned_Kennedys

He’s had years to blood other options across central defence and left back and give experience to younger players but he prefers to stick with his favourites even if not playing or out of form. He will occasionally drop a younger player in but maybe for a game or a sub appearance or two. Why has Maguire played virtually every game?

He's played Guehi, Colwill, Tomori, Dunk at centre back fro England and none of them have been particularly good.
He's had Shaw and Chilwell as LB with Trippier as backup. He's also played Rico Lewis, Tyrick Mitchell and James Justin in there with limited success.

The myth that Southgate has favourites is only true because whenever he tries someone else they inevitably don't perform.

3 years ago at the Euro's everyone said he HAD to play Grealish and Sancho. He played Saka instead and look what a shrewd decision that's turned out to be as we now have arguably the best winger in the world starting.

6 months ago everyone said to build the team around Bellingham, now we want to build the team around Foden with Bellingham 'sitting deep'.

He's built a 4231 system which is what he will play in the Euros, the only question marks are who sits alongside Rice (I think he will try TAA) and who plays LB if Shaw is injurem (probably Trippier)

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:35 - May 21 with 1199 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:04 - May 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

If you go back through history our record against top 10 ranked teams in knockout games is abysmal and thats pretty much where England have always been, a good team who usually go out when they face a team who are either equal to them or better than them. I personally don't expect that to change this summer or when the next manager comes in
Login to get fewer ads

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:36 - May 21 with 1199 viewsBAWHoops

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:04 - May 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

His record against the top 10 in competitive games (Euros, World Cup, Qualifiers and Nations League) is

P18
W 6
D 3
L 9

I've counted the Euro's final as a draw

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:44 - May 21 with 1173 viewsTK1

Amusing to read that "Pep and Southgate play the same way". I mean, in the same way that i can make a pasta dish a bit like they do in Milan.

Southgate plays a very conservative version of Pep's City 2018 to 2020ish. Three attackers, fast attacking full backs, two solid CBs.

Southgate then goes for two holding CBs (Henderson/Mainoo and a misused Rice) and a 10, whereas Pep played two tens, or a ten and 8.

But Pep doesn't play that now. He hasn't for a while. He started moving full backs and CBs into midfield. When everyone was copying that to nullify him, he played four CBs! How do you imagine Marti came up with Dunne at right back (and Fox at LB at Swansea)? By watching Pep do it first.

They are not remotely comparable. Southgate would be embarrassed by the idea, I imagine, being a decent and humble man. Pep is a genius who finds surprising lateral answers to a fresh problem posed by rivals every season. He has won four titles in a row. I don't believe another manager could do that with his City squad, and certainly not Southgate.

And the idea of International players coming from working with him at City, or Ancelotti at Madrid, or Klopp and Arteta, to be coached at tournaments by...Lee Carsley, Gary O'Neil, Graham Potter. It's not serious. We're not taking it seriously! That is partly the problem.

For the first time in a long while, England have genuinely world class players in several positions due largely to the world class coaching they get at their clubs. Eddie Howe seems a good club manager, but he's hit his ceiling and he's won nothing. None of these names have. The players are too good for them, wasted on the Potter/Copper/Howes of this world.

I think, for example, Ancelloti would be a brilliant England tournament coach, if not a long-term thing. He's great with players, pragmatic, a serial winner. He'd find a solution to having two injured left backs. There are better candidates than the ghosts of Roy Hodgson and Graham Taylor out there for these players.
Southgate’s replacement. on 10:50 - May 21 with 1142 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:44 - May 21 by TK1

Amusing to read that "Pep and Southgate play the same way". I mean, in the same way that i can make a pasta dish a bit like they do in Milan.

Southgate plays a very conservative version of Pep's City 2018 to 2020ish. Three attackers, fast attacking full backs, two solid CBs.

Southgate then goes for two holding CBs (Henderson/Mainoo and a misused Rice) and a 10, whereas Pep played two tens, or a ten and 8.

But Pep doesn't play that now. He hasn't for a while. He started moving full backs and CBs into midfield. When everyone was copying that to nullify him, he played four CBs! How do you imagine Marti came up with Dunne at right back (and Fox at LB at Swansea)? By watching Pep do it first.

They are not remotely comparable. Southgate would be embarrassed by the idea, I imagine, being a decent and humble man. Pep is a genius who finds surprising lateral answers to a fresh problem posed by rivals every season. He has won four titles in a row. I don't believe another manager could do that with his City squad, and certainly not Southgate.

And the idea of International players coming from working with him at City, or Ancelotti at Madrid, or Klopp and Arteta, to be coached at tournaments by...Lee Carsley, Gary O'Neil, Graham Potter. It's not serious. We're not taking it seriously! That is partly the problem.

For the first time in a long while, England have genuinely world class players in several positions due largely to the world class coaching they get at their clubs. Eddie Howe seems a good club manager, but he's hit his ceiling and he's won nothing. None of these names have. The players are too good for them, wasted on the Potter/Copper/Howes of this world.

I think, for example, Ancelloti would be a brilliant England tournament coach, if not a long-term thing. He's great with players, pragmatic, a serial winner. He'd find a solution to having two injured left backs. There are better candidates than the ghosts of Roy Hodgson and Graham Taylor out there for these players.

Playing devils advocate wouldn't Ancelloti be a similar move to Capello, I don't disagree he's a miles better manager than the English options but that doesn't mean he's the best fit for the England job

I've always thought international football should be the best of our country v the best of yours so I'd always prefer us to have an English manager
Southgate’s replacement. on 11:05 - May 21 with 1086 viewsTheChef

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:29 - May 21 by BAWHoops

He's played Guehi, Colwill, Tomori, Dunk at centre back fro England and none of them have been particularly good.
He's had Shaw and Chilwell as LB with Trippier as backup. He's also played Rico Lewis, Tyrick Mitchell and James Justin in there with limited success.

The myth that Southgate has favourites is only true because whenever he tries someone else they inevitably don't perform.

3 years ago at the Euro's everyone said he HAD to play Grealish and Sancho. He played Saka instead and look what a shrewd decision that's turned out to be as we now have arguably the best winger in the world starting.

6 months ago everyone said to build the team around Bellingham, now we want to build the team around Foden with Bellingham 'sitting deep'.

He's built a 4231 system which is what he will play in the Euros, the only question marks are who sits alongside Rice (I think he will try TAA) and who plays LB if Shaw is injurem (probably Trippier)

Yes re CBs it's a bit of an indictment of English football currently that we're really lacking in that department.

So I might be disappointed that we'll probably start with Maguire and Stones, but realistically they're the best options we have.

Southgate’s replacement. on 11:08 - May 21 with 1080 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 11:05 - May 21 by TheChef

Yes re CBs it's a bit of an indictment of English football currently that we're really lacking in that department.

So I might be disappointed that we'll probably start with Maguire and Stones, but realistically they're the best options we have.

Stones is a great player, I have hopes for Guehi and Branthwaite, but for some reason Southgate will insist on Maguire.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 11:13 - May 21 with 1070 viewsTK1

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:50 - May 21 by daveB

Playing devils advocate wouldn't Ancelloti be a similar move to Capello, I don't disagree he's a miles better manager than the English options but that doesn't mean he's the best fit for the England job

I've always thought international football should be the best of our country v the best of yours so I'd always prefer us to have an English manager

They're really different managers in terms of the way they play(ed), and I believe that their characters are vastly different too. Everyone loves Ancelotti for starters. And unlike Capello, he's managed in England: won the league and FA cup at Chelsea. Which is better than all English managers combined since the 1980s.

It would be great to have an English or even British manager, I agree. But until some of them are good enough to be hired by an elite club (and actually compete for a trophy) that's going to be self-defeating. McKenna may turn out to buck that. Let's see.
Southgate’s replacement. on 11:33 - May 21 with 1021 viewsBAWHoops

News coming out that he's dropped Chilwell, Henderson and Sterling from provisional squad.

Included are
Eze, Wharton, Quansah, Colwill, Wharton, Jones

That's pretty bold to change the guard so close a tournament

Southgate’s replacement. on 12:46 - May 21 with 935 viewsTheChef

Southgate’s replacement. on 11:33 - May 21 by BAWHoops

News coming out that he's dropped Chilwell, Henderson and Sterling from provisional squad.

Included are
Eze, Wharton, Quansah, Colwill, Wharton, Jones

That's pretty bold to change the guard so close a tournament

Pleasant surprise if he's picking players on form.

Whether they start is another matter.

Southgate’s replacement. on 13:00 - May 21 with 865 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 12:46 - May 21 by TheChef

Pleasant surprise if he's picking players on form.

Whether they start is another matter.

I hope Wharton and Wharton won't both start ;)

But really, none of that lot should be starting.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 13:38 - May 21 with 785 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Southgate’s replacement. on 10:36 - May 21 by BAWHoops

His record against the top 10 in competitive games (Euros, World Cup, Qualifiers and Nations League) is

P18
W 6
D 3
L 9

I've counted the Euro's final as a draw

How does that compare to others is what I mean. If this was a league table how would it look? It just feels like the top ten win, draw, and lose to each other regularly and there isn’t really a dominant team right now.
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:02 - May 21 with 730 viewsdaveB

Henderson been left out, Eze in the provisional squad

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:27 - May 21 with 657 viewsHunterhoop

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:02 - May 21 by daveB

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

Which 7 lose out from there?

1 keeper? Henderson or Trafford

2 defenders, given Trent and Trippier’s flexibility? Not sure who

Jones and Wharton? Can’t see much game time ahead of Rice, Mainoo, Trent, Gallagher, and Bellingham (who should be in the Midfielder section given he’ll surely play 8?!)

That means 2, at least, miss out from the forwards… it’ll be 2 from Grealish, Maddison, Gordon, Bowen, and Eze, you’d suspect. He’ll take 3 centre forwards in case of an injury, and I think Saka, Foden, Kane, and Palmer are all pretty locked in.

I’d not take Grealish and Gordon, personally.
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:28 - May 21 with 657 viewsMonkey_Roots

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:02 - May 21 by daveB

So, gun to your head, who gets sent home (assuming no injuries)?

Trafford
Quansah
Jones
Wharton
Eze
Gordon
Grealish

I'd obviously love Eze to go, but reckon Mediocre Maddison will go instead.
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:29 - May 21 with 651 viewsHunterhoop

I think Eze should get in because he doesn’t need to keep 10 defenders in the squad! Not if you play a back 4, and Trent is counting as a midfielder.

Otherwise, great minds…
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:30 - May 21 with 642 viewsaston_hoop

The main thing right now is that Eze starts one of those warmup games. We get dosh when he starts for England, so lets hope it happens

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:32 - May 21 with 631 viewsMonkey_Roots

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:29 - May 21 by Hunterhoop

I think Eze should get in because he doesn’t need to keep 10 defenders in the squad! Not if you play a back 4, and Trent is counting as a midfielder.

Otherwise, great minds…

Defensively though we look very short on quality and experience, and knowing Southgate he will prioritise this over any other area of the pitch I reckon.

Shaw unlikely to go.
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:51 - May 21 with 548 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:27 - May 21 by Hunterhoop

Which 7 lose out from there?

1 keeper? Henderson or Trafford

2 defenders, given Trent and Trippier’s flexibility? Not sure who

Jones and Wharton? Can’t see much game time ahead of Rice, Mainoo, Trent, Gallagher, and Bellingham (who should be in the Midfielder section given he’ll surely play 8?!)

That means 2, at least, miss out from the forwards… it’ll be 2 from Grealish, Maddison, Gordon, Bowen, and Eze, you’d suspect. He’ll take 3 centre forwards in case of an injury, and I think Saka, Foden, Kane, and Palmer are all pretty locked in.

I’d not take Grealish and Gordon, personally.

depends a lot on injuries but would think one of the keepers, Dunk and one of Guehi or Knonsa would drop out, possibly Shaw if hes not ready

Curtis Jones won't go and depends if he gets a chance in the friendlies but I'd go Wharton over Mainoo myself but think it will be the other way around

I think Gordon will go, might be Bowen who misses out and one of Eze & Maddison

i agree with you on Grealish but think he would have been left out now if he wasn't in the main squad
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024