Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tata Steel 19:27 - Jun 27 with 4276 viewsraynor94

Have responded to the strikes, by fetching forward the shutdown of both Furnaces from September to July 7th.

What a sad situation, this will be the decimation of Port Talbot as a Town
[Post edited 27 Jun 19:27]

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Tata Steel on 16:43 - Jul 3 with 697 viewsraynor94

Tata Steel on 16:28 - Jul 2 by SullutaCreturned

Oh more nonsense, its not about blaming the rich for being skint, it's about fair pay so people can afford to live,

If it's a doddle as you say then why are so many kids goingto school without breakfast, parents can't afford uniform so we have swap schemes running in primary and comprehensives?

£100 to feed a family of four means a rubbish diet, we spend more than 100 per week on 3 of us because we have a lot of fresh fruit which is expensive and we don't buy the cheap crap ultra processed stuff so much.

What I will blame the rich for is for paying themselves massive wages when they pay minimum wage, people like Amazon, Jeff Bezos can afford a pay cut but his workers?

Where are you buying fresh fruit and veg even from they are far from expensive, to many today can't even cook a meal and live on microwave meals.

Tata Steel on 17:00 - Jul 3 with 664 viewsDr_Winston

Tata Steel on 16:43 - Jul 3 by raynor94

Where are you buying fresh fruit and veg even from they are far from expensive, to many today can't even cook a meal and live on microwave meals.

You can make a stew that will serve four people or one person for four days for about £6.

I learned to cook from my dad, who learned to cook from his mum, who was twice widowed and always inches from the breadline. Money was always tight when I was a kid, which somehow wasn't Jeff Bezos' fault. We got by by budgeting and mostly doing without luxuries, which were sometimes affordable if you take care of the pennies well enough.

Those skills just aren't taught any more. If people don't have something then it's always somebody else to blame. Immigrants, "The Rich", whoever. The targets shift from left to right but the ultimate cause is the same.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Tata Steel on 18:05 - Jul 3 with 617 viewsSullutaCreturned

Tata Steel on 17:00 - Jul 3 by Dr_Winston

You can make a stew that will serve four people or one person for four days for about £6.

I learned to cook from my dad, who learned to cook from his mum, who was twice widowed and always inches from the breadline. Money was always tight when I was a kid, which somehow wasn't Jeff Bezos' fault. We got by by budgeting and mostly doing without luxuries, which were sometimes affordable if you take care of the pennies well enough.

Those skills just aren't taught any more. If people don't have something then it's always somebody else to blame. Immigrants, "The Rich", whoever. The targets shift from left to right but the ultimate cause is the same.

The ultimate cause isn't one thing OR the other, its a combination of poor life skills and low paid jobs.

Food is much mre expensive than 2 years ago, shoes and clothes, gas, electricity, council tax and petrol all more expensive at a time when our general tax burden is far too high.

It's obviously not ALL Jeff Bezo's fault but he has a part to play. His company pays minimum wages and manages to avoid payong a lot of tax in the UK so he makes massive profits and avoids paying back into the system with many of his workers probably getting univerdal credit to top up their pay.

It is also true that people here think they are in poverty if they haven't got a new mobile, a nice car and a foreign holiday but if tey were shown what life was like in the 70's they'd maybe realise they aren't that poor.
Tata Steel on 19:10 - Jul 3 with 584 viewsDr_Winston

Tata Steel on 18:05 - Jul 3 by SullutaCreturned

The ultimate cause isn't one thing OR the other, its a combination of poor life skills and low paid jobs.

Food is much mre expensive than 2 years ago, shoes and clothes, gas, electricity, council tax and petrol all more expensive at a time when our general tax burden is far too high.

It's obviously not ALL Jeff Bezo's fault but he has a part to play. His company pays minimum wages and manages to avoid payong a lot of tax in the UK so he makes massive profits and avoids paying back into the system with many of his workers probably getting univerdal credit to top up their pay.

It is also true that people here think they are in poverty if they haven't got a new mobile, a nice car and a foreign holiday but if tey were shown what life was like in the 70's they'd maybe realise they aren't that poor.

Taxes will be going up. They always do under a Labour Govt. Here's hoping it doesn't get wasted. I don't disagree that life is tougher than it was ten years ago, but I genuinely believe that people don't help themselves sometimes.

Amazon pays basic wages because it's an unskilled job, although certainly not an easy one. It's a reality of the World that the more skill your occupation requires, or the rarer that skill is, the better you'll be paid. I don't disagree with the tax situation, but in a Globalised world that's a question that is going to have to be settled Internationally. Hell, they can't even agree uniform tax rates within the borders of the US. Just look at the number of corporations registered in Delaware.

Your last paragraph is spot on and one of the reasons for this discussion. We've gone from measuring poverty as a real thing to a relative one. Relatively I'm in poverty compared to my mate who earns £130k pa. Still doesn't make me poor.
[Post edited 4 Jul 8:09]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Tata Steel on 00:42 - Jul 4 with 535 viewsRobbie

Children grabbing sweets off the shelves where I am are always with adults more concerned with playing with their phones , yer get that if you want it attitude , I am busy texting .

Brought up when cawl lasted 3 days on the slow fire .

Bag of sweets was a treat then, now it is a reward for a child going to school that day , sad.

Woodbine and Embassy fags were also the go to then so maybe we cannot judge .

Minted Consulate cigs were my first try ,
Tata Steel on 07:54 - Jul 4 with 509 viewsonehunglow

Tata Steel on 00:42 - Jul 4 by Robbie

Children grabbing sweets off the shelves where I am are always with adults more concerned with playing with their phones , yer get that if you want it attitude , I am busy texting .

Brought up when cawl lasted 3 days on the slow fire .

Bag of sweets was a treat then, now it is a reward for a child going to school that day , sad.

Woodbine and Embassy fags were also the go to then so maybe we cannot judge .

Minted Consulate cigs were my first try ,

Consulate ?
Wow,that’s camp.
I smoked Gauloise for a while.
Visiting valley girls were impressed
Used to be a Francophile,Alain Delon,Catherine Deneuve ,Francois Hardy.
Swansea was a cool place

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Tata Steel on 15:07 - Jul 4 with 402 viewscontroversial_jack

Tata Steel on 19:10 - Jul 3 by Dr_Winston

Taxes will be going up. They always do under a Labour Govt. Here's hoping it doesn't get wasted. I don't disagree that life is tougher than it was ten years ago, but I genuinely believe that people don't help themselves sometimes.

Amazon pays basic wages because it's an unskilled job, although certainly not an easy one. It's a reality of the World that the more skill your occupation requires, or the rarer that skill is, the better you'll be paid. I don't disagree with the tax situation, but in a Globalised world that's a question that is going to have to be settled Internationally. Hell, they can't even agree uniform tax rates within the borders of the US. Just look at the number of corporations registered in Delaware.

Your last paragraph is spot on and one of the reasons for this discussion. We've gone from measuring poverty as a real thing to a relative one. Relatively I'm in poverty compared to my mate who earns £130k pa. Still doesn't make me poor.
[Post edited 4 Jul 8:09]

Yet the tax burden is at it's highest ever under the Cons
Tata Steel on 16:44 - Jul 4 with 368 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Tata Steel on 15:07 - Jul 4 by controversial_jack

Yet the tax burden is at it's highest ever under the Cons

Yes to pay for the 13,000,000 kept on furlough during covoid rather than making them redundant as well as the cost m of the very effective vaccines and all the other equipment our NHS needed.

Also tye government paid out billions to introduce the energy price cap which kept prices far lower than actual cost. They also paid every household at least £1000 in extra energy grants.

Everyone thought it was a good idea to borrow this money at the time now it has to paid back.

If only the Chinese had not released covoid on the World and Russia had not invaded Ukraine causing the global.energy crisis.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Login to get fewer ads

Tata Steel on 20:55 - Jul 4 with 302 viewsAnotherJohn

Tata Steel on 16:44 - Jul 4 by felixstowe_jack

Yes to pay for the 13,000,000 kept on furlough during covoid rather than making them redundant as well as the cost m of the very effective vaccines and all the other equipment our NHS needed.

Also tye government paid out billions to introduce the energy price cap which kept prices far lower than actual cost. They also paid every household at least £1000 in extra energy grants.

Everyone thought it was a good idea to borrow this money at the time now it has to paid back.

If only the Chinese had not released covoid on the World and Russia had not invaded Ukraine causing the global.energy crisis.

Those are indeed big factors. The irony is that those who are now criticizing our present economic situation were the very ones saying the government was not doing enough to help people through the cost of living crisis.
Tata Steel on 20:59 - Jul 4 with 297 viewsWhiterockin

Tata Steel on 20:55 - Jul 4 by AnotherJohn

Those are indeed big factors. The irony is that those who are now criticizing our present economic situation were the very ones saying the government was not doing enough to help people through the cost of living crisis.

And were screwing the system.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Tata Steel on 08:50 - Jul 7 with 199 viewsblackswan

Bbc news reports labour working on better deal to transform steel production and save jobs good news for the area really hope it will include the ability to make green virgin steel
Tata Steel on 10:02 - Jul 7 with 162 viewssons_of_omri

Tata Steel on 20:55 - Jul 4 by AnotherJohn

Wasn’t it Liz Truss that caused the whole damn thing by enabling her mates to bet on the drop in the value of sterling ?

Not many of the poor were responsible for that or the banking crash of 2008 when they got bailed out by US for gambling recklessly on the stock markets. So ironic that they should get away with it but people more or less encouraged to gamble at every turn by massive to advertising get no such sympathy or financial protection. I totally dislike Starmer as he is dishonest and disingenuous but hopefully Labour will change course away from the waterfall the conservatives had us headed for.
Tata Steel on 10:34 - Jul 7 with 130 viewsYrAlarch

Tata Steel on 10:02 - Jul 7 by sons_of_omri

Wasn’t it Liz Truss that caused the whole damn thing by enabling her mates to bet on the drop in the value of sterling ?

Not many of the poor were responsible for that or the banking crash of 2008 when they got bailed out by US for gambling recklessly on the stock markets. So ironic that they should get away with it but people more or less encouraged to gamble at every turn by massive to advertising get no such sympathy or financial protection. I totally dislike Starmer as he is dishonest and disingenuous but hopefully Labour will change course away from the waterfall the conservatives had us headed for.

Please could you give examples of Starmer being 'dishonest and disingenuous'.
Tata Steel on 10:38 - Jul 7 with 122 viewsAnotherJohn

Tata Steel on 10:02 - Jul 7 by sons_of_omri

I'd have said that the loss of confidence on the international markets was the last thing Truss was expecting. It was a case of rank incompetence rather than some Machiavellian plot to make a killing on currency speculation. In any case the sharp rise in public borrowing linked to COVID-19 spending started well before Sept 2022 when her 49 days in charge began. You would have to put the energy subsidies (which started in April 2023) down to Sunak and Hunt, and I don't think Truss's screw-up greatly affected those. The big losers from Truss's mistakes were people who came off fixed interest rate mortgages and needed to find a new deal.
Tata Steel on 10:54 - Jul 7 with 114 viewsraynor94

Sharon Graham on the BBC this morning stating, 1 German steelworks produces more virgin steel than the whole of the UK.

Germany has 18 steel plants

Tata Steel on 10:55 - Jul 7 with 112 viewsDr_Winston

The cost of living crisis was a direct result of the reaction of Governments Worldwide to the Covid pandemic. Shutting down societies on a whim and committing vast public expenditure to combat a virus with a 99.9% survivability rate.

That and Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

Tata Steel on 11:37 - Jul 7 with 101 viewsblackswan

Tata Steel on 10:54 - Jul 7 by raynor94

Sharon Graham on the BBC this morning stating, 1 German steelworks produces more virgin steel than the whole of the UK.

Germany has 18 steel plants

That's shocking! Shame our government has been more interested in vanity projects like the waste of money hs2 than supporting manufacturing in this country
Tata Steel on 11:57 - Jul 7 with 67 viewsmajorraglan

Tata Steel on 10:38 - Jul 7 by AnotherJohn

I'd have said that the loss of confidence on the international markets was the last thing Truss was expecting. It was a case of rank incompetence rather than some Machiavellian plot to make a killing on currency speculation. In any case the sharp rise in public borrowing linked to COVID-19 spending started well before Sept 2022 when her 49 days in charge began. You would have to put the energy subsidies (which started in April 2023) down to Sunak and Hunt, and I don't think Truss's screw-up greatly affected those. The big losers from Truss's mistakes were people who came off fixed interest rate mortgages and needed to find a new deal.

Truss actions saw interest rates on the government debt, interest rates increase more than other countries. There was/is a so called “moron premium” attached to our interest rates which has seen people pay more than they should be simply because of Truss’s actions. The word moron could be most appropriate.
Tata Steel on 13:22 - Jul 7 with 45 viewsmax936

Tata Steel on 11:57 - Jul 7 by majorraglan

Truss actions saw interest rates on the government debt, interest rates increase more than other countries. There was/is a so called “moron premium” attached to our interest rates which has seen people pay more than they should be simply because of Truss’s actions. The word moron could be most appropriate.

Her and her chancellor [that's a joke] were absolutely clueless and must have done their finance plan on a back of a fag packet.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Tata Steel on 13:43 - Jul 7 with 25 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Truss was lucky to get 49 days. The Queen died two days into her 49 days and the period of mourning delayed the disastrous budget until late September. She would normally have lasted barely a month.
Tata Steel on 13:43 - Jul 7 with 25 viewsonehunglow

Tata Steel on 16:44 - Jul 4 by felixstowe_jack

Had we not had furlough, the consequences would have literally proved fatal.
Nowadays,the hindsight merchants can feel free to post their conspiracies .
Fact is Covid caught the world out and we tried to be smart arses
99.9 % survival ? Must be unlucky as the 0.1% seemed to be chums of mine
Vaccine was the reason life got back to something like normality
How would Labour have handled it?
Hmm

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Tata Steel on 13:59 - Jul 7 with 6 viewsraynor94

Tata Steel on 13:22 - Jul 7 by max936

Her and her chancellor [that's a joke] were absolutely clueless and must have done their finance plan on a back of a fag packet.

Premier Inn notepad I heard😉

Tata Steel on 13:59 - Jul 7 with 5 viewsAnotherJohn

Tata Steel on 11:57 - Jul 7 by majorraglan

Indeed. The term “moron risk premium” was coined by Dario Perkins of TS Lombard.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2023/09/21/the-legacy-of-liz-truss

Personally though I still think COVID-19 and the war in Ukraine had bigger impacts.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024