Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Kenny 10:45 - Jun 12 with 7064 viewsvetchonian

The club has announced the passing of Kenny Jacket.

Another Jack Lost....his Mum was a Swansea girl.

Thnaks for the memeories Kenny

Poll: Should Coleman ask Curt for advice/help?

1
RIP Kenny on 17:24 - Jun 12 with 1510 viewsAnotherJohn

RIP KJ, who contributed a very solid chapter to our history.
0
RIP Kenny on 17:34 - Jun 12 with 1480 viewsKeithHaynes

RIP Kenny on 10:58 - Jun 12 by Dr_Winston

Disgracefully cut out of the "official" story of our rise up the leagues.

After the shambles we became on and off the pitch during the late Flynn era it was nice to be a professionally coached club again when he took over. Came within a penalty shootout of delivering back to back promotions and won our first bit of silverware in over a decade.

A bit too blunt and honest for some people's tastes, I found it refreshing. RIP Kenny.


There were a few of them mate. Disgusting.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Would you like to appear here as a Welsh football writer?

2
RIP Kenny on 15:40 - Jun 13 with 1190 viewsDr_Winston

Andy Robinson nails it here. Exactly where we were going wrong at the time, and exactly what KJ brought to proceedings.


Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

0
RIP Kenny on 16:29 - Jun 13 with 1167 viewsswan_si

Former Swansea City manager Kenny Jackett has sadly passed away at the age of 64.

Kenny guided the Swans to promotion from League Two in the final season at the Vetch Field, and came within a penalty shootout of taking the club to the Championship during the next campaign.

He also led the Swans to EFL Trophy success and a pair of FAW Premier Cup triumphs.

Following his passing, a number of the club's former players have paid tribute to their old boss, and you can read them below.

 

Andy Robinson:

"It's hard to know where to start because this is devastating news, and absolutely heartbreaking for everyone who knew and worked with Kenny.

"Firstly, I want to wish his family all the best and pass on my sincerest condolences at such a difficult time.

"When Kenny came to the club, we needed discipline, we needed organisation and we needed structure. That's no disrespect to those who had come before him, but it was just what was needed at that time.

"He made a mark straight away. I can remember in his first game at the Vetch, he took me off after about 70 minutes. Me, thinking I'd made it as a professional footballer and was maybe thinking I was better than what I was, said to Kenny; 'I play 90 minutes for this football club.'

"The minute I said it, I knew I'd done the wrong thing and he just told me to go and sit down. I expected I might get a bit of a telling off after the game, but he didn't say anything and I was trying to figure out what sort of manager he was.

"The following Friday, we were preparing to travel away and he left me out of the squad, and I understood immediately what he was doing. I went to speak to him, and he made it clear what was expected, that I would not be speaking to him in that manner again or behaving in that fashion while at the football again. Otherwise, I would not be playing and I would be looking elsewhere.

"I took it onboard, I knew he was right, and from that point on there was no doubt what he was going to give me as a footballer. You always learn from your managers. Brian Flynn was almost my father figure at Swansea in terms of giving me the chance, but it was Kenny Jackett who disciplined me.

"I know I wasn't always easy to manage. I was a bit like a bottle of fizzy pop in some ways, but he understood and knew when to let the lid off a bit because he knew it would pay him back on the pitch.

"We had some amazing memories, the promotion season was wonderful all the way through and the way it happened at Bury with the fans on the pitch, sharing that with Kenny was a memory I will cherish all my life, as well as that last game at the Vetch when we beat Wrexham and I scored the winner.

"He came up to me at the end of the game and told me; "You've done something very special there, lad, that you can have next to your name and be proud of for the rest of your life, and it certainly is.

"He had some characters in that squad who got into a few scrapes, but he would always be there for you. He taught you the rights and wrongs of how to conduct yourself as a person and a footballer.

"I will be forever grateful for that, it was what I needed and I took what I learned from him everywhere I went in my career, he gave me that opportunity and he understood me as a person. Not many managers in my career did, but he got me and we got the best out of each other.

"We had some fantastic times with the team he built. We had a solid foundation and a good structure and he brought in great players like Sam Rickets, Garry Monk and the late Kev Austin.

"Then he had the free spirits who could go and win him a game. There were tough times too, that play-off final defeat to Barnsley was one of the most difficult days of my career. 

"I was sat on the pitch, almost wanting to feel the hurt of those moments so it would drive me on to come back and be where Barnsley were in that moment. Kenny came up to me, put his arm around me, and said: "Don't worry son, you will learn and you will get there one day, no doubt about it.

"He was too confident in me as always, but those words stuck with me. He wasn't there to see us win the league, but he gave Roberto (Martinez) a terrific group and foundation to build upon. It was all of the base laid by Brian Flynn and Kenny.

"He did a fantastic job and he will go down as a true great of Swansea City, and of football in general.

"Every club he went to he did a fine job. He was a top guy, we shared a message just last week and I am forever grateful that he replied to me. I had wanted to get in touch with him to thank him for everything he had done for me and to stay strong.

"He came back and thanked me and I will treasure that for the rest of my life. I owe a lot to Kenny Jackett and so does Swansea City Football Club. We have lost a stand-up guy, and he is a loss to the world of football."

 

Kris O'Leary: 

"Coming to Swansea was one of the gaffer's first managerial jobs, and we had a good team but maybe without the discipline or mentality to win promotion.

"From the moment he came in he demanded discipline, and on the pitch he left you in no doubt as to where you stood, and what was expected of you. Even all these years later I can remember what jobs he wanted me to do at set-pieces.

"That first pre-season took everyone by surprise, it was incredibly tough, but it set the foundations for what was to come. It was the last year at the Vetch, we needed promotion to give it the farewell it deserved and to move into the new stadium on a positive note.

"He was a strong man, he was a family man, but with a dry sense of humour. He was a leader and a great guy. I got on really well with him, I'd come in early for breakfast and he'd already be in there and we'd have some great chats.

"He knew there was a time to laugh, but when it was time to work it was time to work. He came at a perfect time, and we had some of our very best times with him.

"He will go down in the history of the club and rightly so, we will miss him and my prayers go out to his family. He will be a massive loss to football and he was a truly great character. I will be forever grateful for what he did for me, and for Swansea City. Rest in peace, gaffer."

 

Alan Tate

"Kenny played a huge part in the rise of the club. It was one of his first jobs as a manager and he joined the club when we had a fantastic team spirit among us.

"He used that to his advantage and also added his own stamp to the team, making us fitter and turning young players like myself and Leon Britton into winners, and that started with that promotion from League Two, two FAW Premier Cup wins and a Football League Trophy victory.

"All those experiences played a part in the development of the club and led to its further successes. He brought some important players to the club like Garry Monk, who would go on to captain the club at Wembley when promotion to the Premier League was secured.

"There was also Darren Pratley, who was a brilliant and consistent midfielder during the club's rise.

"Kenny has to take full credit for those two players, they were another two he turned into winners.

"Kenny had great belief and conviction in how he worked and during his time we had some brilliant performances. The 7-1 win over Bristol City, in which we played some amazing football and scored some great goals, stands out, as does the 3-0 away win at then-Premier League Sheffield United in the third round of the FA Cup.

"That was a day when a young Joe Allen was first included in a first-team matchday squad, having trained with us a number of times prior to that, which showed Kenny had an eye for the young talent being produced.

"Kenny will be sorely missed by his family and friends, and he will be remembered fondly by all of us players who worked under him and enjoyed such success with him as our manager.

"On behalf of everyone at the club, the players and staff who worked with Kenny, I would like to say thank you for the memories and rest in peace. Once a Jack, always a Jack."

Lee Trundle: 

"Kenny came in at a time when we had a good squad and were playing good football, but he made a few tweaks on and off the field to give us that mentality and edge to get out of the division.

"He made us hard to beat and a real strong unit, and I don't think he gets enough credit for the amazing job he did at Swansea City.

"We got promoted in his first full season, but we also won a trophy and got to the play-off final the following season.

"He had a very dry sense of humour. He was a great football man, but he was also a great person and a great leader. Rest in peace, gaffer."

 

Leon Britton: 

"It is such sad news to hear of Kenny's tragic passing at such a young age.

"He will always be remembered at our club for the big part he played in starting our journey going up through the leagues. 

"We had so many great moments under him. We had that unforgettable day when we were promoted at Bury, winning the LDV Vans Trophy in Cardiff, and then being within a penalty shootout of going to the Championship.

"My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones. Rest in peace, Kenny."

 

Shaun MacDonald:

"Thank you for everything gaffer, thank you for giving me the opportunity of my first professional contract, for my debut and for all the happy memories you created.

"I couldn't have wished for a better man or manager to guide me, help me and show trust and faith in me at the time you did. RIP Gaffer.
3
RIP Kenny on 21:20 - Jun 13 with 1080 viewsDr_Winston

From about 25 minutes in. Precisely why things went to shit under Flynn, and precisely why KJ got things right.


Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

0
RIP Kenny on 21:51 - Jun 13 with 1063 viewscimlaswan

Terry Yorath, Frank Burrows, John Hollins, Colin Addison and now Kenny Jackett have passed in recent years.

An era of supporting the Swans at the Vetch covering my teenage years and 20's seems even more in the distant past then it felt before.
0
RIP Kenny on 23:22 - Jun 13 with 1017 viewsRuDeMan1970

RIP Kenny on 21:51 - Jun 13 by cimlaswan

Terry Yorath, Frank Burrows, John Hollins, Colin Addison and now Kenny Jackett have passed in recent years.

An era of supporting the Swans at the Vetch covering my teenage years and 20's seems even more in the distant past then it felt before.


Agreed. That’s one helluva roll-call of former SCFC managers Each and every one had a positive impact and has left those of us old enough to remember with some great memories

..."who will guard the guards..?"

1
RIP Kenny on 23:29 - Jun 13 with 1013 viewsmax936

RIP Kenny on 21:51 - Jun 13 by cimlaswan

Terry Yorath, Frank Burrows, John Hollins, Colin Addison and now Kenny Jackett have passed in recent years.

An era of supporting the Swans at the Vetch covering my teenage years and 20's seems even more in the distant past then it felt before.


I started going when I was 14 Harry Greig was manager then shortly after it was Harry Griffiths, I was in Dynevor school with his son so was at the vetch watching regularly, great days with the key man Herbie Williams running the show on the field he'd be worth a fortune theses days.
1
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Kenny on 11:24 - Jun 14 with 932 viewsvetchonian

RIP Kenny on 16:29 - Jun 13 by swan_si

Former Swansea City manager Kenny Jackett has sadly passed away at the age of 64.

Kenny guided the Swans to promotion from League Two in the final season at the Vetch Field, and came within a penalty shootout of taking the club to the Championship during the next campaign.

He also led the Swans to EFL Trophy success and a pair of FAW Premier Cup triumphs.

Following his passing, a number of the club's former players have paid tribute to their old boss, and you can read them below.

 

Andy Robinson:

"It's hard to know where to start because this is devastating news, and absolutely heartbreaking for everyone who knew and worked with Kenny.

"Firstly, I want to wish his family all the best and pass on my sincerest condolences at such a difficult time.

"When Kenny came to the club, we needed discipline, we needed organisation and we needed structure. That's no disrespect to those who had come before him, but it was just what was needed at that time.

"He made a mark straight away. I can remember in his first game at the Vetch, he took me off after about 70 minutes. Me, thinking I'd made it as a professional footballer and was maybe thinking I was better than what I was, said to Kenny; 'I play 90 minutes for this football club.'

"The minute I said it, I knew I'd done the wrong thing and he just told me to go and sit down. I expected I might get a bit of a telling off after the game, but he didn't say anything and I was trying to figure out what sort of manager he was.

"The following Friday, we were preparing to travel away and he left me out of the squad, and I understood immediately what he was doing. I went to speak to him, and he made it clear what was expected, that I would not be speaking to him in that manner again or behaving in that fashion while at the football again. Otherwise, I would not be playing and I would be looking elsewhere.

"I took it onboard, I knew he was right, and from that point on there was no doubt what he was going to give me as a footballer. You always learn from your managers. Brian Flynn was almost my father figure at Swansea in terms of giving me the chance, but it was Kenny Jackett who disciplined me.

"I know I wasn't always easy to manage. I was a bit like a bottle of fizzy pop in some ways, but he understood and knew when to let the lid off a bit because he knew it would pay him back on the pitch.

"We had some amazing memories, the promotion season was wonderful all the way through and the way it happened at Bury with the fans on the pitch, sharing that with Kenny was a memory I will cherish all my life, as well as that last game at the Vetch when we beat Wrexham and I scored the winner.

"He came up to me at the end of the game and told me; "You've done something very special there, lad, that you can have next to your name and be proud of for the rest of your life, and it certainly is.

"He had some characters in that squad who got into a few scrapes, but he would always be there for you. He taught you the rights and wrongs of how to conduct yourself as a person and a footballer.

"I will be forever grateful for that, it was what I needed and I took what I learned from him everywhere I went in my career, he gave me that opportunity and he understood me as a person. Not many managers in my career did, but he got me and we got the best out of each other.

"We had some fantastic times with the team he built. We had a solid foundation and a good structure and he brought in great players like Sam Rickets, Garry Monk and the late Kev Austin.

"Then he had the free spirits who could go and win him a game. There were tough times too, that play-off final defeat to Barnsley was one of the most difficult days of my career. 

"I was sat on the pitch, almost wanting to feel the hurt of those moments so it would drive me on to come back and be where Barnsley were in that moment. Kenny came up to me, put his arm around me, and said: "Don't worry son, you will learn and you will get there one day, no doubt about it.

"He was too confident in me as always, but those words stuck with me. He wasn't there to see us win the league, but he gave Roberto (Martinez) a terrific group and foundation to build upon. It was all of the base laid by Brian Flynn and Kenny.

"He did a fantastic job and he will go down as a true great of Swansea City, and of football in general.

"Every club he went to he did a fine job. He was a top guy, we shared a message just last week and I am forever grateful that he replied to me. I had wanted to get in touch with him to thank him for everything he had done for me and to stay strong.

"He came back and thanked me and I will treasure that for the rest of my life. I owe a lot to Kenny Jackett and so does Swansea City Football Club. We have lost a stand-up guy, and he is a loss to the world of football."

 

Kris O'Leary: 

"Coming to Swansea was one of the gaffer's first managerial jobs, and we had a good team but maybe without the discipline or mentality to win promotion.

"From the moment he came in he demanded discipline, and on the pitch he left you in no doubt as to where you stood, and what was expected of you. Even all these years later I can remember what jobs he wanted me to do at set-pieces.

"That first pre-season took everyone by surprise, it was incredibly tough, but it set the foundations for what was to come. It was the last year at the Vetch, we needed promotion to give it the farewell it deserved and to move into the new stadium on a positive note.

"He was a strong man, he was a family man, but with a dry sense of humour. He was a leader and a great guy. I got on really well with him, I'd come in early for breakfast and he'd already be in there and we'd have some great chats.

"He knew there was a time to laugh, but when it was time to work it was time to work. He came at a perfect time, and we had some of our very best times with him.

"He will go down in the history of the club and rightly so, we will miss him and my prayers go out to his family. He will be a massive loss to football and he was a truly great character. I will be forever grateful for what he did for me, and for Swansea City. Rest in peace, gaffer."

 

Alan Tate

"Kenny played a huge part in the rise of the club. It was one of his first jobs as a manager and he joined the club when we had a fantastic team spirit among us.

"He used that to his advantage and also added his own stamp to the team, making us fitter and turning young players like myself and Leon Britton into winners, and that started with that promotion from League Two, two FAW Premier Cup wins and a Football League Trophy victory.

"All those experiences played a part in the development of the club and led to its further successes. He brought some important players to the club like Garry Monk, who would go on to captain the club at Wembley when promotion to the Premier League was secured.

"There was also Darren Pratley, who was a brilliant and consistent midfielder during the club's rise.

"Kenny has to take full credit for those two players, they were another two he turned into winners.

"Kenny had great belief and conviction in how he worked and during his time we had some brilliant performances. The 7-1 win over Bristol City, in which we played some amazing football and scored some great goals, stands out, as does the 3-0 away win at then-Premier League Sheffield United in the third round of the FA Cup.

"That was a day when a young Joe Allen was first included in a first-team matchday squad, having trained with us a number of times prior to that, which showed Kenny had an eye for the young talent being produced.

"Kenny will be sorely missed by his family and friends, and he will be remembered fondly by all of us players who worked under him and enjoyed such success with him as our manager.

"On behalf of everyone at the club, the players and staff who worked with Kenny, I would like to say thank you for the memories and rest in peace. Once a Jack, always a Jack."

Lee Trundle: 

"Kenny came in at a time when we had a good squad and were playing good football, but he made a few tweaks on and off the field to give us that mentality and edge to get out of the division.

"He made us hard to beat and a real strong unit, and I don't think he gets enough credit for the amazing job he did at Swansea City.

"We got promoted in his first full season, but we also won a trophy and got to the play-off final the following season.

"He had a very dry sense of humour. He was a great football man, but he was also a great person and a great leader. Rest in peace, gaffer."

 

Leon Britton: 

"It is such sad news to hear of Kenny's tragic passing at such a young age.

"He will always be remembered at our club for the big part he played in starting our journey going up through the leagues. 

"We had so many great moments under him. We had that unforgettable day when we were promoted at Bury, winning the LDV Vans Trophy in Cardiff, and then being within a penalty shootout of going to the Championship.

"My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones. Rest in peace, Kenny."

 

Shaun MacDonald:

"Thank you for everything gaffer, thank you for giving me the opportunity of my first professional contract, for my debut and for all the happy memories you created.

"I couldn't have wished for a better man or manager to guide me, help me and show trust and faith in me at the time you did. RIP Gaffer.


some great tributes there

Poll: Should Coleman ask Curt for advice/help?

0
RIP Kenny on 12:53 - Jun 16 with 781 viewshowenjack

RIP Kenny on 23:29 - Jun 13 by max936

I started going when I was 14 Harry Greig was manager then shortly after it was Harry Griffiths, I was in Dynevor school with his son so was at the vetch watching regularly, great days with the key man Herbie Williams running the show on the field he'd be worth a fortune theses days.


OOOOOOHHHH it's King Herbie ! OOOOOHHHHHH It's king Herbie!
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026