Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense 05:21 - Apr 9 with 1791 viewsahoz

Hi All
Will probably not get any support over this. but Association Football (soccer) has some major problems, including and especially the refusal to provide video reviews, and the sending off rule (offside is another, but won't get into that). We saw these problems in full force last night.
AFL (imo Aussie Rules is probably the world's greatest game) have this year introduced video reviews when called upon and this has been a good step forward. How much more essential in a low scoring game like soccer, where one bad referee/linesman's call can so easily influence the result.
I have always been against sending offs. It ruins the game, and is of course far worse when the sending off was not justified. In AFL, players don't get sent off, they get reported (and suspended as appropriate). The yellow card thing is a total joke also.
Atrocious calls by officials and sending offs will probably see us go down this year.
Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 05:37 - Apr 9 with 1783 viewstimcocking

Probably won't get any support? Sepp Blatter is the only person on the planet who doesn't agree.
Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 06:49 - Apr 9 with 1775 viewsqprmick

Time somebody took legal action against these morons, a club like ours will lose an awful lot of money with these sort of decisions.I have always been in favour of the ref being the sole arbiter but now it is just getting ridiculous. After a love affair with football over 60 years it all went cold at 14 minutes last evening our time.I watched the whole game hoping someone might have a flash of brilliance but it was not to be. Now we have to front up again against a fresh team with tired nervy players.

Qprmick

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 08:19 - Apr 9 with 1749 viewsisawqpratwcity

100% agree that we need video review technology. A game can easily turn on even minor decisions and there is too much riding on results to leave it in the hands of officials who may be unconsciously biased because of the teams, venue or occasion, or they may be incompetent, or distracted, or just unsighted.

Think of the money involved in games like this: ticket costs, television rights advertising and sponsorship, player costs, potential premiership prizes and Champions League places, relegation. A season could turn for a club over a single goal difference.

Goal-line technology is just a sop to those that accuse the FA of being Luddite. The overwhelming majority of refereeing f*ck-ups happen in the field of play.

It's time to recognise that the game is an important 21st century entertainment business and stop officiating it in some quaint 19th century manner.

Nb. My views on AFL have been expressed before on this forum and don't need repeating, but just let me make the observation that is critical that sending-off be a part of a code's punishments. How some-one can, for example, punch another player in the head and then expect to participate in the rest of the game beggars belief. This isn't the Coliseum. The important thing is to provide whatever is needed to get the offical to make the correct decision.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 08:34 - Apr 9 with 1740 viewsTonto

Given how quick these things are to check these days its highly unlikley that there is time for a goal to be scored at the other end before the problem has been reviewed. Heck I can rewind live telly on my sky box in a second!

The video ref can press a button that lights up a bunch of flashing lights placed at the corners f the stadia and some klaxons could come on - a bit like in ice hockey. That way the crowd knows what is going on too.

It should be sooooo simple, but then again this is FIFA and/or the FA we are talking about.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 11:37 - Apr 9 with 1706 viewsMattnme

Football is probably the biggest sport in the world yet is the only one that doesnt have a game time review process. It should follow the lead of cricket and tennis where a team/player can ask for a decision to be reviewed. They should have two reviews and if the review is in their favour they keep it if they are wrong they lose it. I'm sure there would be teething problems but in a short space of time teams would know when to use there reviews.
People talk about goal line technology as if it's the only call officials get wrong. We all know that's not the case as the weekends incidents prooved. I think sports with review systems have actually improved. The right decision is made and it also adds to the tension for the spectators.
You never know give it another 20 years and the authorities might get off their arses get inline with the rest of the sporting world and do something about it. I'm not holding my breath though.
Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 11:42 - Apr 9 with 1696 viewsClive_Anderson

It can be done in a way that doesn't actually stop the game. If there is a penalty shout or the ref isn't sure that the ball is over the line then just continue the game as normal, but stop it if the TV replays show that a penalty or goal occured. Then just bring the game back to that point.

If the players appeal for a decision, such as a penalty, free-kick or whatever then the ref stops the game. If the TV review shows they were right they get the decision and if not then they lose one of their appeals and the opposing team gets a free-kick. They only get a limited number of appeals per match.

Job done.
Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 11:51 - Apr 9 with 1686 viewsToast_R

I think the sticking point is the rules have to be equal on all levels of the game. Sadly it's unlikely that there will be 10 camera angles available in matches further down the leagues.

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 11:55 - Apr 9 with 1676 viewsClive_Anderson

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 11:51 - Apr 9 by Toast_R

I think the sticking point is the rules have to be equal on all levels of the game. Sadly it's unlikely that there will be 10 camera angles available in matches further down the leagues.

There's no 4th official at local Sunday league games so that's that argument put to bed.
Login to get fewer ads

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 12:00 - Apr 9 with 1668 viewsToast_R

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 11:55 - Apr 9 by Clive_Anderson

There's no 4th official at local Sunday league games so that's that argument put to bed.

Professional levels not cloggers down the rec, there's not even 2 linesman in most of those.
Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 12:01 - Apr 9 with 1665 viewsWatfordR

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 11:51 - Apr 9 by Toast_R

Rubbish. Kids games will be regularly played without linesmen or with a well intentioned parent or manager reffing. Cricket rugby etc all played in lower leagues without video reviews, hawkeye etc.

When you have the sort of mistakes being made that we have all seen this weekend that have the potential to deny a privately owned business tens of millions in revenue and when the technology is available to remove those mistakes, it has to be introduced, or it will at some stage be imposed through a club mounting a legal challenge against the FA.
Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 12:02 - Apr 9 with 1661 viewsClive_Anderson

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 12:00 - Apr 9 by Toast_R

Professional levels not cloggers down the rec, there's not even 2 linesman in most of those.

I thought the idea was to have the game the same at all levels not just professional?

Anyway are there electronic boards for subsitutions and time added on as well as 4th officials at conference games?
Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 12:06 - Apr 9 with 1653 viewsisawqpratwcity

I don't accept that argument. I think that each league should have a minimum coverage at each venue, but the FA/Premier should be flexible enough to treat each league as a separate case. It is about giving each league's officials as much assistance as that league can bear. Don't let the minimum that any league can subscribe set the standard for all leagues. That doesn't happen in other sports.

I think the really interesting question is which clubs will support video review and which won't? I bet a recent opponent would be dead against it.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 12:08 - Apr 9 with 1649 viewsWatfordR

Time to introduce video review and stop red card nonsense on 12:06 - Apr 9 by isawqpratwcity

I don't accept that argument. I think that each league should have a minimum coverage at each venue, but the FA/Premier should be flexible enough to treat each league as a separate case. It is about giving each league's officials as much assistance as that league can bear. Don't let the minimum that any league can subscribe set the standard for all leagues. That doesn't happen in other sports.

I think the really interesting question is which clubs will support video review and which won't? I bet a recent opponent would be dead against it.

Big clubs will never agree to the introduction of any technology, rule or regulation which levels the playing field.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024