Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coleman and Sports Science? 23:09 - Apr 11 with 4560 viewsAucklandjeff

Does anybody know how much emphasis JC places on Sports Science? He comes across as an 'old fashioned' type of manager to me? Hillcroft placed a big emphasis on nutrition,recovery, football specific fitness, psychology, motivation etc. His backroom staff also reflected this.

Living in NZ I only see highlights, listen to commentry and read this messageboard to get my Dale fix and when I see the likes of Joe Hinnigan on the bench it just reminds me of the bad old days!! Young ambitious talent will only be attracted to Dale if they see us as a forward thinking club in terms of training/science with a professional approach both on and off the field.

Regardless of relegation it does feel the club is going backwards but I hope JC can re-build from the bottom up and find the next generation of saleable assets as well as demanding the club be marketed in a more professional manner.

Looking forward to seeing the retained list and watching the re-build. Role on season 12/13

Coleman and Sports Science? on 01:13 - Apr 12 with 3379 viewsShun

Somebody on here said earlier that JC isn't interested in the sports science side to the game at all, and he'd much rather focus on the old fashioned stuff.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 07:43 - Apr 12 with 3332 viewswimborne_dale

Interesting post AucklandJeff as the same questions have been going through my mind too. I only get to the occasional game (only 1 so far since Coleman took over). Looking at his post match interviews on DalePlayer, he doesn't portray a sports scientist. I have to put myself in the players boots and ask "if that were my boss speaking, how would I feel when I turned up for work the next day?"

In his defence, he also seems hard on himself and appears to take defeat hard. Whatever he does and doesn't do, it obviousely worked well at Accrington. Keith Hill knew how to bring the best out of his players but for some reason I was always left feeling that defeat didn't hurt him enough. This was most evident after the FCUM debacle last season.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Coleman and Sports Science? on 07:55 - Apr 12 with 3313 viewsnordenblue

A good topic to bring up but from a personal level i couldn't care less if JC sends them to an army style boot camp all pre season and continues the regime into the season, as long as the players are fit and fighting for each other i have no problem with his choice of methods. I think people can sometimes look too deep into the science side of things and formations etc when the simplest of styles can ultimately lead to the best results.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 08:29 - Apr 12 with 3283 viewsNigelWatson

Last night I was thinking about Dale under Coleman: since he's been in charge the team, game after game, has gradually played a more direct style of football.

The best Dale have played under Coleman weres the early games, when he just took charge. Think back to Dale at Charlton - I was there, they played fantastic passing football. Jones, in particular, was a passing machine. Dale well deserved their point away from home against the league leaders. Dale had a higher possession % than Charlton - AND THAT WAS AT THE VALLEY!

Now, fast forward. Dale at Brentford played like a totally different team. They played more direct - long balls into Symes. The whole game, DALE were under the cosh because they could not keep possession of the ball. The team didn't look like a team.

This week a 'team', or let's say the same group of players, ship 5 GOALS AT HOME - HELLO, THAT'S FIVE GOALS AT HOME!!!! against a team lower in the table than Charlton.

(read that again, that should be shocking)

Next year he (Coleman) will sign Symes. He'll be the team's target man. The rest of the team will be asked to play long balls directed at Symes, the midfield then floods forwards, looking for Symes knock-downs. That's Coleman's style.

Three issues

1. Will hoofball and Symes work in terms of results? Maybe - but at best, it would only get Dale a bottom 1/3rd finish in Div2. Football has moved on. Teams like Barnet, under managers like Sanchez, that play hoofball find it harder to get results with their style. Like Coleman, they're yesterday's men.

2. Do you want to watch ugly hoofball? For Coleman supporters why bother with your season ticket? Why not go down Springy Park and watch some pub football for free, because that's what you'll get from Coleman - PUB FOOTBALL

3. Decent footballers (that can pass the ball, like Jones) hate being asked to play hoofball. Our good players will leave
Coleman and Sports Science? on 08:54 - Apr 12 with 3252 viewsTomRAFC

it certainly does seems like jc sets alot of stock in traditional partnerships

a solid centre back and a pacey centre back partnership of long and amankwah
a donkey and a tricky little sod up front with symes and jlaa

when done right these sort of balances can really help a team and past KH partnerships like perkins and jones or mcardle and stanton or most obviosuly cog and daggers work really well

get it right and its great but get it wrong and you will flop as we have seen this season

there does seem to be some some method in jc and his madness and hopefully he can bring in the players he wants

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Coleman and Sports Science? on 08:59 - Apr 12 with 3244 viewselectricblue

Coleman and Sports Science? on 08:29 - Apr 12 by NigelWatson

Last night I was thinking about Dale under Coleman: since he's been in charge the team, game after game, has gradually played a more direct style of football.

The best Dale have played under Coleman weres the early games, when he just took charge. Think back to Dale at Charlton - I was there, they played fantastic passing football. Jones, in particular, was a passing machine. Dale well deserved their point away from home against the league leaders. Dale had a higher possession % than Charlton - AND THAT WAS AT THE VALLEY!

Now, fast forward. Dale at Brentford played like a totally different team. They played more direct - long balls into Symes. The whole game, DALE were under the cosh because they could not keep possession of the ball. The team didn't look like a team.

This week a 'team', or let's say the same group of players, ship 5 GOALS AT HOME - HELLO, THAT'S FIVE GOALS AT HOME!!!! against a team lower in the table than Charlton.

Next year he (Coleman) will sign Symes. He'll be the team's target man. The rest of the team will be asked to play long balls directed at Symes, the midfield then floods forwards, looking for Symes knock-downs. That's Coleman's style.

Three issues

1. Will hoofball and Symes work in terms of results? Maybe - but at best, it would only get Dale a bottom 1/3rd finish in Div2. Football has moved on. Teams like Barnet, under managers like Sanchez, that play hoofball find it harder to get results with their style. Like Coleman, they're yesterday's men.

2. Do you want to watch ugly hoofball? For Coleman supporters why bother with your season ticket? Why not go down Springy Park and watch some pub football for free, because that's what you'll get from Coleman - PUB FOOTBALL

3. Decent footballers (that can pass the ball, like Jones) hate being asked to play hoofball. Our good players will leave

Hoofball...that something that never came across to me which JC was ginally appointed as manager..
It he does go down that alley then for one i wont be attending many games.
John Beck was a master at hoofball and it was not pretty..

So i can see its going to be a catch22 season winning games plaing hoofball or play proper passing football and have an indifferent season...

Personally ive always been a fan of the passing game hence the name football.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:22 - Apr 12 with 3188 viewsdownunder

G'day Auckland Jeff, I have sent you a PM
Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:54 - Apr 12 with 3150 viewselectricblue

Oh and another point.
if its true that JC perfers the old fashioned stuff then what ever team he manages they will never become league winners..
You have to move with the times and improve your ability not sit there and be stagnated....

the more i read about JC the more i see his appointment as a wrong one..

Login to get fewer ads

Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:16 - Apr 12 with 3132 viewsSalwaDale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:54 - Apr 12 by electricblue

Oh and another point.
if its true that JC perfers the old fashioned stuff then what ever team he manages they will never become league winners..
You have to move with the times and improve your ability not sit there and be stagnated....

Wow, I honestly can't believe we have a Coleman out brigade already.

PS. I think he once farted in public - how can we employ someone who did that? A bad appointment.

TBBT

Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:36 - Apr 12 with 3103 viewsSFD

Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:16 - Apr 12 by SalwaDale

PS. I think he once farted in public - how can we employ someone who did that? A bad appointment.

Its ridiculous to suggest he should be fired so soon, however so far he has proved to be inept with his tactics and team selections so it is understandable if people have their doubts.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:39 - Apr 12 with 3091 viewsSalwaDale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:36 - Apr 12 by SFD

Its ridiculous to suggest he should be fired so soon, however so far he has proved to be inept with his tactics and team selections so it is understandable if people have their doubts.

I do not think he has proved to be inept at all. For me he is still totally unproven at this club.

TBBT

Coleman and Sports Science? on 12:30 - Apr 12 with 3029 viewselectricblue

Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:16 - Apr 12 by SalwaDale

I never said that i wanted him out...just a bad appointment thats all..

Coleman and Sports Science? on 13:14 - Apr 12 with 2987 viewsmaccawozzagod

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:54 - Apr 12 by electricblue

Oh and another point.

with Stanley he won 3 league titles
Coleman and Sports Science? on 13:28 - Apr 12 with 2960 views442Dale

I'm all for criticism where it's due and Coleman has made mistakes, but when did we start playing long ball ?

Didn't go to Brentford so maybe we did hoof it that day, but in other games we're still playing as much football as ever - so much so that you'd wish they'd stop, especially at the back as it puts us in trouble (see Yeovil's first). We still pass through and across midfield and on occasions when we are launching it it's a noticeable change (see Byrne at full back as he's not comfortable carrying it forward or playing it short).

It's laughable to suggest we are all of a sudden direct and smashing it to Symes all the time.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Coleman and Sports Science? on 13:57 - Apr 12 with 2927 viewsTVOS1907

Coleman and Sports Science? on 13:28 - Apr 12 by 442Dale

I'm all for criticism where it's due and Coleman has made mistakes, but when did we start playing long ball ?

Didn't go to Brentford so maybe we did hoof it that day, but in other games we're still playing as much football as ever - so much so that you'd wish they'd stop, especially at the back as it puts us in trouble (see Yeovil's first). We still pass through and across midfield and on occasions when we are launching it it's a noticeable change (see Byrne at full back as he's not comfortable carrying it forward or playing it short).

It's laughable to suggest we are all of a sudden direct and smashing it to Symes all the time.

We didn't have enough of the ball at Brentford to play any style.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Coleman and Sports Science? on 14:50 - Apr 12 with 2881 viewssweetcorn

Coleman and Sports Science? on 08:29 - Apr 12 by NigelWatson

Three issues

I don't know where you've got this idea that coleman is a long ball type manager, take some time out of your day and go and have a look on the Accrington messageboard, i'm personally a member on there and they're currently moaning about how they have gone from the slick pass it from the back Coleman and work it forward into space, to hoofball Cook.

Coleman has a reputation for half decent football and i think we'll see that next season.

As far as sports science is concerned, i like the idea of having a manager who does the simple things in football, but gets the results with it.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 15:36 - Apr 12 with 2834 viewssoulboy

In JC's defence, he may have played the " long ball" game at Accy due to the poor state of their pitch, but his tactics since he's been here seem to go from one extreme to the other. If he does sign Symes, which is more than a possibility, then i think the best we can hope for is a mid-table finish.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 17:45 - Apr 12 with 2775 viewsNigelWatson

Coleman and Sports Science? on 15:36 - Apr 12 by soulboy

In JC's defence, he may have played the " long ball" game at Accy due to the poor state of their pitch, but his tactics since he's been here seem to go from one extreme to the other. If he does sign Symes, which is more than a possibility, then i think the best we can hope for is a mid-table finish.

Yes, I agree. You can't play decent football on a crap pitch. Fortunately Dale's pitch is absolutely superb
Coleman and Sports Science? on 17:48 - Apr 12 with 2764 views442Dale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 17:45 - Apr 12 by NigelWatson

Yes, I agree. You can't play decent football on a crap pitch. Fortunately Dale's pitch is absolutely superb

Yet his team tried to play football at Accrington - see the post about their forum.

Have we decided that Brentford may have been a one off?

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:08 - Apr 12 with 2740 viewsColDale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 17:45 - Apr 12 by NigelWatson

let's it hope it stays that way given the departure of the groundsman this weekend.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:11 - Apr 12 with 2733 views442Dale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:08 - Apr 12 by ColDale

let's it hope it stays that way given the departure of the groundsman this weekend.

Where's he gone to?

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:14 - Apr 12 with 2728 viewsColDale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:11 - Apr 12 by 442Dale

Where's he gone to?

No idea. Just know that this weekend's home game will be his last for the club.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:19 - Apr 12 with 2717 views442Dale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:14 - Apr 12 by ColDale

No idea. Just know that this weekend's home game will be his last for the club.

As they marked Jack's unique decade at the club, you would think they will have an article up on the OS this week about it and a well deserved presentation or similar recognition at the game.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:22 - Apr 12 with 2709 viewsYadHoDale

Eyre's appointment reminded me of Paul Simpson's - inexperienced, Man City connection.

Now we have a highly experienced manager, with some success at another local league club, and originating as an excellent non-league player.

Shades of Graham Barrow...
Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:27 - Apr 12 with 2700 viewsborodale4

If this is indeed true then I feel it is a fatal error. Sports science, nutrition etc is about the only part of the game in which we can compete with anyone. You might not have the best footballers at your disposal but you can have the fittest. That might mean a point when you were down and out if not all three against tired and under prepared teams (as we will become). It is an essential part of professional sport now in every sport, we are not a pub team and there is no chance in hell we should prepare like one. Hilly first signing was a sports scientist and the results are there for all to see. At the end of the day results will mean everything, however you can prepare like an ambitious professional sports team or you can choose to be old fashioned. I know which one bears fruit!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024