Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Memorable Matches - question for Clive 02:00 - Sep 30 with 3037 viewsColombiR

Just read the West Ham history thing...
Clive, please appease my curiosity.
Having briefly had the pleasure of chatting to you at a couple of away days, I'm pretty sure you're not of an age to remember games like the 1988 cup tie too clearly.
Yet time and time again you come out with brilliantly evocative and detailed descriptions of games (and even better, the importance of each game in the context of a season/rivalry/player's career or whatever) from the 70s and 80s.
As someone who was only old enough to start going Rangers in the mid-90s, the 'Memorable matches' are fascinating. Just curious as to where on earth your information comes from?!
As far as I know, with some exceptions, there are not recordings freely available on youtube of every game we've ever played. Do you have an elder friend who's an endless fountain of all Rangers knowledge? Do you have a notebook in which you've assiduously recored every "When I was a boy..." conversation you've ever had with a Ranger? Or is your living room just stacked with VHSs of every season review for the last 50 years?
Whichever it is, very much enjoy the features! Just intrigued...
Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 06:19 - Sep 30 with 3014 viewsstonebridgers

Easy- Clive is older than he looks

Stonebridgers

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 07:24 - Sep 30 with 3000 viewssmegma

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 06:19 - Sep 30 by stonebridgers

Easy- Clive is older than he looks

Hes 82 if hes a day.
Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 07:33 - Sep 30 with 2996 viewsade_qpr

http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/drunk-tardis.jpg?cb5e28

Not one of Clives better landings after the Green Room

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 08:58 - Sep 30 with 2952 viewsNorthernr

The memorable matches are decided a few weeks in advance. If they were played after January 1992 then I'll have been there myself and I have a really good memory for football stuff so can usually remember the games pretty vividly - a source of great irritation for people who deal with me day to day who know I have a dreadful memory for everything else, especially people's names. I can forget the name of the chief executive I'm interviewing at work during the interview and yet I can tell you that in 2000 we won 3-2 at Walsall with goals from Wardley, Kiwomya and a Bjarni Larusson own goal.

If it's pre-January 1992 then I wasn't there. Luckily at LFW Towers there is a library/treasure trove of QPR stuff that my dad left me that is an amazing research tool. I've got every programme going back to the Second World War apart from one (Man City away last season annoyingly - if anybody has one I'll buy it from them at mark up) and a stack of videos. All the old season videos, Big Match Live, Match of the Day tapes are in there back to the 80s, and loads of old VHS scrapbook type things where my dad had just hit record every time QPR came on the television. So if it's a game played post 1980 chances are there is some footage of it in there somewhere and h was pretty meticulous about keeping everything in order so it's easy enough to find. I'm in the process of transferring these to DVD. There are also scrapbooks of newspaper clippings going back to the 60s, piles of Football Year Books and annuals. It's a bloody amazing collection really, my dad was an obsessive with it. So Even if it's pre-1980 I can pull out the programme from the game, and the ones after it containing match reports, the newspaper reports from the day after, the year book record with the starting 11 in it and so on.

And of course there are lots of people on this message board, and in the Crown and Sceptre on a Saturday who know their QPR history so I can drop a game I'm planning to do into conversation and see what people say about it.
Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 09:48 - Sep 30 with 2926 viewsN12Hoop

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 08:58 - Sep 30 by Northernr

The memorable matches are decided a few weeks in advance. If they were played after January 1992 then I'll have been there myself and I have a really good memory for football stuff so can usually remember the games pretty vividly - a source of great irritation for people who deal with me day to day who know I have a dreadful memory for everything else, especially people's names. I can forget the name of the chief executive I'm interviewing at work during the interview and yet I can tell you that in 2000 we won 3-2 at Walsall with goals from Wardley, Kiwomya and a Bjarni Larusson own goal.

If it's pre-January 1992 then I wasn't there. Luckily at LFW Towers there is a library/treasure trove of QPR stuff that my dad left me that is an amazing research tool. I've got every programme going back to the Second World War apart from one (Man City away last season annoyingly - if anybody has one I'll buy it from them at mark up) and a stack of videos. All the old season videos, Big Match Live, Match of the Day tapes are in there back to the 80s, and loads of old VHS scrapbook type things where my dad had just hit record every time QPR came on the television. So if it's a game played post 1980 chances are there is some footage of it in there somewhere and h was pretty meticulous about keeping everything in order so it's easy enough to find. I'm in the process of transferring these to DVD. There are also scrapbooks of newspaper clippings going back to the 60s, piles of Football Year Books and annuals. It's a bloody amazing collection really, my dad was an obsessive with it. So Even if it's pre-1980 I can pull out the programme from the game, and the ones after it containing match reports, the newspaper reports from the day after, the year book record with the starting 11 in it and so on.

And of course there are lots of people on this message board, and in the Crown and Sceptre on a Saturday who know their QPR history so I can drop a game I'm planning to do into conversation and see what people say about it.

All I can say is that you just have the most understanding, tolerant other half known to man.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 10:15 - Sep 30 with 2905 viewsNorthernr

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 09:48 - Sep 30 by N12Hoop

All I can say is that you just have the most understanding, tolerant other half known to man.

Ha ha, threw her out months ago!
Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 12:02 - Sep 30 with 2851 viewssmegma

"If it's pre-January 1992 then I wasn't there". Glory hunter !!!

Surprised your Dad didn't bring you when you were in nappies. I remember you as a 5-6 year old though.
Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 12:58 - Sep 30 with 2820 viewsloftboy

Back in the 70's it was quite rare to see youngsters ( or women) at football, I was ten when my dad took me to my first game, I took me 4 eldest at 7 and number 5 has had a season ticket for the last 3 years since he was 5. Got to be a good thing for the future to get the kids interested as early as possible.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 11:58 - Oct 1 with 2727 viewsColombiR

Cheers for the reply - fascinating stuff.
Every programme since the war is pretty impressive...surely that's unique for QPR?
Ever considered opening up the Towers as a museum a couple of days a month?!
Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 12:31 - Oct 1 with 2687 viewsloftboy

Clive, there's a few man city programmes available on eBay

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 12:32 - Oct 1 with 2684 viewsNorthernr

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 12:31 - Oct 1 by loftboy

Clive, there's a few man city programmes available on eBay

Yeh bought one last night thanks to a tip received by PM.
Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 12:41 - Oct 1 with 2657 viewsingeminate

Anyone remember a game at LR, I think in the cup, against West Ham where we scored, think through Impey and there were a load of balloons on the pitch around him as he shot.

Know there were loads on the pitch against Palace in the relegation dodge thumping and think I may be getting mixed up, but well anyway does it trigger a memory? Think we won the game 1-0.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 12:51 - Oct 1 with 2651 viewsWokingR

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 09:48 - Sep 30 by N12Hoop

Have you not realised yet why he is single
Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 14:12 - Oct 1 with 2612 viewsW7Ranger

I thought Wardley got 2 in that game against Walsall? We went 2-0 up, they pulled it back to 2-2 and Kiwomya got the winner with about 10mins to go???

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 14:14 - Oct 1 with 2609 viewsNorthernr

Memorable Matches - question for Clive on 14:12 - Oct 1 by W7Ranger

I thought Wardley got 2 in that game against Walsall? We went 2-0 up, they pulled it back to 2-2 and Kiwomya got the winner with about 10mins to go???

Correct score pattern, but Larusson got an own goal. Went on to play for Scunthorpe.

Walsall 2 -3 QPR
HT 1 - 2 FT 2 - 3
Tony Barras (36)Paul Hall (63)
Bjarni Larusson (og 11)Stuart Wardley (15)Chris Kiwomya (73)
J Walker (G) N/A
C Marsh (D) N/A
A Barras (D) N/A
M Vlachos (D) N/A
A Viveash (D) N/A
G Padula (D) N/A
B Larusson (M) N/A
P Matias (M) N/A
(80) P Hall (M) N/A
(80) G Fenton (F) N/A
M Robins (F) N/A

I Brightwell (D) N/A