Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goldhawk 16:49 - Nov 4 with 7166 viewsGeorge2Santos

Just to compound misery further the barmaid has told me the goldhawk shuts down as of tomorrow.

Another one bites the dust.
Goldhawk on 04:29 - Nov 5 with 5221 viewsisawqpratwcity

Vale

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Goldhawk on 09:32 - Nov 5 with 5017 viewsMetallica_Hoop

That's a shame, Luisana & I enjoyed their Thwaites 'Wainwright' last time I was in there.

It was better when they had Virtual Striker 2 and a pool table in there though.

Hopefully it will re-open as a pub and not a crappy restaurant like 'The Windmill' Kensington.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Goldhawk on 10:02 - Nov 5 with 4947 viewsGeorge2Santos

Goldhawk on 09:32 - Nov 5 by Metallica_Hoop

That's a shame, Luisana & I enjoyed their Thwaites 'Wainwright' last time I was in there.

It was better when they had Virtual Striker 2 and a pool table in there though.

Hopefully it will re-open as a pub and not a crappy restaurant like 'The Windmill' Kensington.

Barmaid said it is gonna be flats.

Is it the defectors that doesn't let you wear colours anymore? Shep bush is disappering up its own arse.
Goldhawk on 10:07 - Nov 5 with 4924 viewsToast_R

Well if you take 45 minutes to serve 3 customers whilst 4 bar staff mill around doing anything but serve, your asking for trouble.

Goldhawk on 10:07 - Nov 5 with 4924 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Goldhawk on 10:02 - Nov 5 by George2Santos

Barmaid said it is gonna be flats.

Is it the defectors that doesn't let you wear colours anymore? Shep bush is disappering up its own arse.

Defectors does do an amazing meat/cheese platter but it's not my sort of pub.

I sometimes feel like when I'm out that I'm trying to save the pub trade single handedly. I really don't see the point in having 1 beer.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Goldhawk on 12:01 - Nov 5 with 4777 viewspaesanu

I understand it's turning into a Starbucks not flats??

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Goldhawk on 12:38 - Nov 5 with 4694 viewsNorthernr

Place was already ruined by the refurb all those years ago, lot of happy memories in the old style Goldhawk with my family. Should be a great pub, not more flats or a bloody starbucks.
Goldhawk on 12:41 - Nov 5 with 4684 viewsQPunkR

The Defectors really does make me wonder...

It's not really a pub, is it

QPR - "shit but local"

Login to get fewer ads

Goldhawk on 13:05 - Nov 5 with 4616 viewsBlackCrowe

Where will the matchday crowd go instead. C&S is getting more rammed by the week - they even removed half the tables yesterday to cram more people in which is a backward step IMO (took bloody ages to get from one of the pub to the other) and not the reason I go there.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Goldhawk on 14:00 - Nov 5 with 4537 viewsthemodfather

Goldhawk on 13:05 - Nov 5 by BlackCrowe

Where will the matchday crowd go instead. C&S is getting more rammed by the week - they even removed half the tables yesterday to cram more people in which is a backward step IMO (took bloody ages to get from one of the pub to the other) and not the reason I go there.

the askew is closed too....is it the new council rules enforced, ie doormen? no drinks outside
or no one uses the boozers?? high pint prices don;t help.
Goldhawk on 16:02 - Nov 5 with 4450 viewseastside_r

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/

Goldhawk on 19:00 - Nov 5 with 4328 viewshoof_hearted

I prefer the Indian bar type places where you can sit and eat and drink, watch football and get served all night without having to leave your table. I guess the English version is a Weatherspoons but they lose out by being a big chain.

Old fashioned pubs give bad service, usually sell disguting gassy, p!ss flavoured water and have been out of date for 20 years. That's why they are closing. Because only alcoholics want to be in them for most of the day and the rest of the population have left the 1950's behind.
Goldhawk on 19:16 - Nov 5 with 4291 viewsE17hoop

Has anyone ever had a decent time in an estate pub?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Goldhawk on 19:19 - Nov 5 with 4277 viewsklr

Goldhawk on 19:16 - Nov 5 by E17hoop

Has anyone ever had a decent time in an estate pub?

Yep
Goldhawk on 19:35 - Nov 5 with 4252 viewsRed_Ranger

Just drove passed. Open. Serving beer not soya latte. ATAF.
Goldhawk on 19:35 - Nov 5 with 4249 viewsnadera78

Goldhawk on 19:00 - Nov 5 by hoof_hearted

I prefer the Indian bar type places where you can sit and eat and drink, watch football and get served all night without having to leave your table. I guess the English version is a Weatherspoons but they lose out by being a big chain.

Old fashioned pubs give bad service, usually sell disguting gassy, p!ss flavoured water and have been out of date for 20 years. That's why they are closing. Because only alcoholics want to be in them for most of the day and the rest of the population have left the 1950's behind.

Nonsense.

Pubs are closing for a number of reasons. Firstly no-one can compete with supermarkets selling beer at a loss. Spend a tenner in a pub and you'll get two pints and some crisps, spend the same in a supermarket and you can get 15/18 cans. Secondly, and this is related, a pound on the cost of every pint is tax. Thirdly, the huge demographic changes in London mean there are far fewer traditional drinkers around, replaced by people who prefer to sit around smoking a hookah or who don't go out at all. Fourth and final reason is that youngsters don't want to go to pubs, they'd rather be hanging out in a trendy bar with some tragic hipster wearing tweed plus fours and bum fluff facial hair, whilst listening to 'music' that consists of a drum machine, some beeps and unintelligible screeching from some talent-show harpie.

So, in addition to it being difficult to make money in the trade, London also has a steadily growing population and a shortage of housing. Which leads to property developers offering an easy route out for the publicans.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Goldhawk on 19:41 - Nov 5 with 4236 viewsklr

Goldhawk on 19:35 - Nov 5 by nadera78

Nonsense.

Pubs are closing for a number of reasons. Firstly no-one can compete with supermarkets selling beer at a loss. Spend a tenner in a pub and you'll get two pints and some crisps, spend the same in a supermarket and you can get 15/18 cans. Secondly, and this is related, a pound on the cost of every pint is tax. Thirdly, the huge demographic changes in London mean there are far fewer traditional drinkers around, replaced by people who prefer to sit around smoking a hookah or who don't go out at all. Fourth and final reason is that youngsters don't want to go to pubs, they'd rather be hanging out in a trendy bar with some tragic hipster wearing tweed plus fours and bum fluff facial hair, whilst listening to 'music' that consists of a drum machine, some beeps and unintelligible screeching from some talent-show harpie.

So, in addition to it being difficult to make money in the trade, London also has a steadily growing population and a shortage of housing. Which leads to property developers offering an easy route out for the publicans.

Agree, I think the main one is still the "Tesco's factor" / effect.

Lets face it, Shepherds Bush is now pretty much an arab / muslim district, Pubs have no function or purpose in these area's & arent going to be kept open by a football match happening every two weeks.

20 years ago there used to be several hundred pubs along the route of the London Marathon, now there are around 50
Goldhawk on 19:42 - Nov 5 with 4230 viewsPieLout

A filthy Starbucks apparently.
Filthy Starbucks.
Goldhawk on 19:50 - Nov 5 with 4209 viewsToast_R

I think it's down to the fact that its just too damn expensive to go out down the pub in todays age.

Between £3 and £4 for a pint everywhere... They can f@ck off.

Tesco all day for me now and I've just installed a bar at home for good measure.
Goldhawk on 19:54 - Nov 5 with 4198 viewsloftus_upper

Recently The Grand Union and the Askew and Angel (hell) has closed The pubs in the Bush are dropping like flies
Goldhawk on 19:56 - Nov 5 with 4186 viewsRed_Ranger

Goldhawk on 19:54 - Nov 5 by loftus_upper

Recently The Grand Union and the Askew and Angel (hell) has closed The pubs in the Bush are dropping like flies

Has Grand Union def gone? Always seemed busy. I thought maybe it was just being "remodelled".
Goldhawk on 20:01 - Nov 5 with 4173 viewsklr

Goldhawk on 19:50 - Nov 5 by Toast_R

I think it's down to the fact that its just too damn expensive to go out down the pub in todays age.

Between £3 and £4 for a pint everywhere... They can f@ck off.

Tesco all day for me now and I've just installed a bar at home for good measure.

£1.99 a pint at Weatherspoons Ale Festival on at the moment.

They've got some great selections from across the World on offer & you can have a good drink for a tenner.

If we lose on saturday, I'll be going straight down there.
Goldhawk on 20:03 - Nov 5 with 4166 viewsloftus_upper

Goldhawk on 19:56 - Nov 5 by Red_Ranger

Has Grand Union def gone? Always seemed busy. I thought maybe it was just being "remodelled".

Grand Union now a Burger Rib Shack till Christmas.
Goldhawk on 20:08 - Nov 5 with 4149 viewsToast_R

Now I don't mind the odd pint of ale but I can't drink too much of that as gives you a right rotten arse the next morning.

Weatherspoon in Shepherds bush charging £3.30 pint of Carling, that's a disgrace!
Goldhawk on 20:13 - Nov 5 with 4138 views18StoneOfHoop

Goldhawk on 19:41 - Nov 5 by klr

Agree, I think the main one is still the "Tesco's factor" / effect.

Lets face it, Shepherds Bush is now pretty much an arab / muslim district, Pubs have no function or purpose in these area's & arent going to be kept open by a football match happening every two weeks.

20 years ago there used to be several hundred pubs along the route of the London Marathon, now there are around 50

'Lets face it,Shepherd's Bush is now pretty much an arab / muslim district.Pubs have no function or purpose in these areas.."
That's an erroneous impression you seem to have got there.*The mainly Lebanese,Somali,Pakistani and Syrian muslim Shepherd's Bush communities have a very visible presence in the shops on Uxbridge Road grouped especially around Damas Gate and the mosque next to Adams Cafe over the road but only make up between 6 and 8% or so of the local population.The White Horse stands as much chance of being a going concern as any pub situated in any other part of the borough.
Nadera 78's post very accurately sums up most of the relevant real reasons why pubs across London are suffering badly and sadly closing.

Statistics from 10 years back but shows the trends: http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/Images/Part2_pages1-13_tcm21-20262.pdf

*that's a polite way of saying your talking out of your arse like an EDL member fearful of being 'swamped'.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024