Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bomb sites 12:04 - Dec 5 with 10842 viewshoopstilidie

Map of all bombs to fall on London during the Blitz.

Fascinating stuff.

http://bombsight.org/#10/51.5374/-0.1064

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Bomb sites on 19:53 - Dec 5 with 1696 viewslongbottom

Bomb sites on 14:21 - Dec 5 by TheBlob

I think they deliberately targeted my nan,she got blown up twice.

My Grandma was bombed out of Carlton Vale, Kilburn then bombed out of Harlesden. Moved backed to Canterbury Terrace in Kilburn and lived 100 yards from a house that was hit by a V2. Many were killed and injured.
My Grandma did'nt like Germans much.
Bomb sites on 20:10 - Dec 5 with 1685 viewsHollowayRanger

this is the one we have at work

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4655437.stm

st pauls surviving was amazing churchill ordered that it must be saved at all costs from the fires as the effect on moral could have been disastrious

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Bomb sites on 20:26 - Dec 5 with 1671 viewshoof_hearted

Blimmin' flip. Thought Pinner was safe but the map says a bomb in my back garden. Did a bit of research this afternoon and it's true.

It was part of the doctor's house and surgery back then.

Those Germans were not very nice then after all. Who'd have thunk?

Bomb sites on 20:44 - Dec 5 with 1660 viewsShotKneesHoop

Bomb sites on 16:17 - Dec 5 by A40Bosh

What a great thread for a Weds afternoon, full of interesting stories and information about WW2 and not a single line of negativity anywhere about how sh#t SWP and Bosing................

What a great idea for a new topic....

If SWP was a Kraut bomb aimer, he'd miss.

Probably he'd knock out a Heinkel bomber flying below him instead. Or bomb his own runway. Any other suggestions?

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Bomb sites on 20:58 - Dec 5 with 1647 viewsKiwi76

I've got the photo of my Dads backyard - just incredible the damage done.

They took a direct hit & it killed his Mum,Dad and younger brother - should've done for him as well as lost his spleen which at the time was thought to be curtains.
Split the remaining family up with youngest boys being adopted out and older ones having to fend for themselves.
He then did the 10quid Pom trip down here & never went back.
Bomb sites on 21:16 - Dec 5 with 1641 viewshoof_hearted

When anyone ever hears people saying we go on about the war too much just link to this thread. Just a pretty random bunch of Londoners a generation on and still amazed at how close to home it all was.

Moving stuff.
Bomb sites on 21:31 - Dec 5 with 1632 viewszicoshoops

The Paddington ones were spot on, they were still bomb sites when I was a kid.
Shot many a Red Indian (Racist ) with my Winchester Rifle on them.
The Doodle Bugs/V1's were fine as long as you could hear the engine.
When the engine cut out, it was time to run.
During the Blitz my family would shelter under the stairs in the basement, or in an Anderson Shelter.
All except for one Uncle of mine who was than a teenager.
He spent every night of the Blitz in bed, in a room at the top of the house
His reasoning is part of my family folklore......
'If I'm going to die, I'm going to die in my bed, so f**k em.'
He's still around, and every now and then he comes down the Rangers with me.
Bomb sites on 21:37 - Dec 5 with 1630 viewsHollowayRanger

my late dad was too young for army ? or something so was in home guard ie private pike but based right down in kent he told me they were bricking it after dunkirk as the germans were expected to invade at any moment and the poor old home guard was surposed to delay them for long enough for the real army to be re armed and eployed after losing all their equipment at dunkirk

he watched the battle of britain and could point to fields and say hurricane went down there me 110 their henkel there spit in there ect ect

his older brother was in mercent navy did the artic convoys sunk more than once but would not say a word about it

the uncle who he looked up to flew in Raf and was shot down 1942 in a halifax some of crew survived he was unlucky and is buried in small frence graveyard

while his old dad ex boer war aged 14!!!!! WW1 middle east india and france was too old for ww2 but being an ex colour sergent was used to drill the new recruits

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Login to get fewer ads

Bomb sites on 23:06 - Dec 5 with 1608 viewsdigger

Bomb sites on 12:17 - Dec 5 by Metallica_Hoop

Two almost at the end of my road! Cheers for that I only knew ofthe big hit, accordngto my nan alot of families died in that one.

I have a book my uncle gave me that the king gave all WW1 Servicemen after the war. It's my Great grandad's and documents the service history of everyone West London including people who lived in my road 100 years ago.

Some of you guys relatives are probably in it too.

Would really like to get a copy of that as aim trying to find my great grand mothers brothers and father war records
Bomb sites on 23:20 - Dec 5 with 1605 viewsGloryHunter

You've got to remember that bomb-aiming technology was very primitive. and that pilots on both sides were instructed that if the plane was damaged, they should dump their bombs rather than crash with the full load on board. If you look at some of the suburban locations, you will see a stick of six bombs in a row, hitting nothing in particular. There was lot of luck involved, for both the pilots and the victims.
Bomb sites on 09:12 - Dec 6 with 1576 viewsShotKneesHoop

Bomb sites on 23:20 - Dec 5 by GloryHunter

You've got to remember that bomb-aiming technology was very primitive. and that pilots on both sides were instructed that if the plane was damaged, they should dump their bombs rather than crash with the full load on board. If you look at some of the suburban locations, you will see a stick of six bombs in a row, hitting nothing in particular. There was lot of luck involved, for both the pilots and the victims.

Random bomb dropping by the Luftwaffe when their plane was hit was know as "Shornunloadden!"

Shornunloadden was mentioned in the famous speech by Air Marshall Goering :

"Sie Flugen im der Scheiss?

Droppen die bomben uberall wie SWP, aus Row Z, aus Himmel, aus dei opponents knees, aus corner flaggen.

Ueberall aber vorbe!" (anywhere but the target)

I hope the rest doesn't need a translation.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Bomb sites on 09:25 - Dec 6 with 1567 viewsjonno

Bomb sites on 15:21 - Dec 5 by TheBlob

We gifted the Yanks a Whittle Jet engine and the Cavity Magnetron(radar)and they've made trillions out of them since.Did they thank us?Did they bollocks.Even made us cancel the TSR2 and with government collusion made sure they were the first through the sound barrier when we were about to pip them.

Bastards.

To be fair though we would have lost the War without the Yanks.
Bomb sites on 09:45 - Dec 6 with 1563 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Bomb sites on 23:06 - Dec 5 by digger

Would really like to get a copy of that as aim trying to find my great grand mothers brothers and father war records

Have you tried the records office Kew?

I will see what area mine covers tonight I'm pretty sure it's most of West London but I haven't opened it for a few years I focused on W10. There may be a few around on amazon.

If they lived in the post codes covered in mine you just need to tell me their name and where they lived and if in it I can send you a copy of the page.

The Richmond records office will have much more info though, I used to be a 'reader' dunno how much it cost now.

I'm working late tonight you it will be a while until I can check its coverage.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Bomb sites on 09:58 - Dec 6 with 1555 viewsTW_R

Bomb sites on 20:10 - Dec 5 by HollowayRanger

this is the one we have at work

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4655437.stm

st pauls surviving was amazing churchill ordered that it must be saved at all costs from the fires as the effect on moral could have been disastrious

Yeah - this one always amazes me. There's a photo in the crypt at St Paul's from directly above and the surrounding area is completely destroyed. Apparently a bomb went straight through the dome, but never exploded. That was pretty much the only damage St Paul's suffered.
Bomb sites on 10:00 - Dec 6 with 1555 viewsTW_R

Bomb sites on 14:44 - Dec 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Mein Gott, she has put herzelf back zegether again! We will eliminate Robogran!

Also known as Humpty Dumpty Gran.
Bomb sites on 10:00 - Dec 6 with 1555 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 09:25 - Dec 6 by jonno

And the US eastern seaboard would still probably be a nuclear desert if we'd lost the Battle Of Britain.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Bomb sites on 10:13 - Dec 6 with 1543 viewshoopstilidie

Bomb sites on 23:06 - Dec 5 by digger

Same here. Would really help fill out some missing details from my family tree.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Bomb sites on 10:14 - Dec 6 with 1542 viewsTearsOfaClown

Bomb sites on 09:25 - Dec 6 by jonno

can we have another thread on "we would have lost the War without the Yanks"

In fact can we forget the rest of this season and just chat about WW2 - there were real men fighting in them days, and not for £60,000!

In my day, we were so poor, we had . . . . cont on page 95
Bomb sites on 10:34 - Dec 6 with 1528 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 10:14 - Dec 6 by TearsOfaClown

can we have another thread on "we would have lost the War without the Yanks"

In fact can we forget the rest of this season and just chat about WW2 - there were real men fighting in them days, and not for £60,000!

In my day, we were so poor, we had . . . . cont on page 95

Tell you what,why don't you just f*ck off and talk to yourself.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Bomb sites on 10:43 - Dec 6 with 1521 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Bomb sites on 10:13 - Dec 6 by hoopstilidie

Same here. Would really help fill out some missing details from my family tree.

I'll look at it's exact title when I'm in later. I've just tried googling it but cannot see it no matter what I put in as a keyword.

Bomb sites on 12:07 - Dec 6 with 1499 viewsWanderR

Bomb sites on 12:29 - Dec 5 by Northernr

The Germans weren't all bad then?

Got to be careful what I say around here. I went through my grandfather's flying logs after he died and he had bombed just about every town in a fifty mile radius from where I work.

Current location: OX10

Bomb sites on 12:12 - Dec 6 with 1492 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Motorhead were playing Munich or Hamburg (i forget) on the 'Bomber tour' and the lighting rig was shaped like a Lancaster.

On comes Lemmy. "Good Evening Munchen, bet you haven't seen one of these for a while"

Bomb sites on 16:27 - Dec 6 with 1467 viewsShotKneesHoop

Bomb sites on 10:34 - Dec 6 by TheBlob

Tell you what,why don't you just f*ck off and talk to yourself.

The irony of that post is lost on you.

Like ironery from 30,000 feet on top of your house.

Carry on watching nancies being paid a fortune to do Fitz Hall and work out what the point is that is being made.

Bomb sites on 20:12 - Dec 6 with 1435 viewsHollowayRanger

the funny thing is america DIDNT declare war on germany

after pearl harbour the yanks declared war on japan

the next day hitler as part of the axis pact delared was on america!

Listen to the band play!

Bomb sites on 22:26 - Dec 6 with 1399 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The Book is called The National Roll of The Great War: Section II London.

It actually has all Sorts of areas (been a while since I read it) There is a telegram from George VI inside and a nice sheet with Britannia on it saying "On page BLANK of this book will be found the War record of BLANK."

He never filled it in but he's in there.

It has everyones name address and service record! This is like the internet but 80 years before!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024