Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Club Statement 15:40 - Jan 13 with 16193 viewsTVOS1907

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-13.01.13-595622.aspx

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Club Statement on 19:14 - Jan 13 with 1862 viewsBobbyjoe

Club Statement on 19:06 - Jan 13 by dancdale

Perhaps a similar misunderstanding between the two c*** words will be Grants explanation.

Even Terry's brief didn't attempt that one. Although it's true I don't get out much, I havn't heard this particular word used in anger for nearly thirty years. Could try the "post-modern irony" defence, I suppose!
Club Statement on 19:23 - Jan 13 with 1819 viewsYouTubeDale

Club Statement on 19:08 - Jan 13 by Thacks_Rabbits

I thought the same YTD when I first read it - hence how I worked it out quick :)

You know the saddest thing is a few years back we would have defended any of our players, saying it could not be true and it was a slur.

I get the impression that 99% of people on here accept that he did it.

When did this club start to rot away - I would have Eyre back and be in the conference before the ignorant scouse bully we have holding the reigns.

If I loved a bird for 27 years I would struggle to stop caring - the way Dale are going atm - its getting easy!

I do sympathise with your view and it does seem, allegedly, that the "cheating rotten" culture has really come back to bite us this time, but I would put a different spin on it... I see this as a low point if ever there was one, but that should spur us on to overcome. Let's not be defeated, as Rochdale Football Club fans, first and foremost, we must stick together and fight for our club's League existance. That means coming to the games despite what is going on. Putting our hard earned cash into the coffers and standing square behind the Rochdale flag. Turning our backs now is the very worst that can be done. If needs be, we can always get Coleman out when we are safe. But in the mean time our support is needed more than ever.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Club Statement on 19:32 - Jan 13 with 1783 viewsArthurDaley

The way i read it in the Sun, he allegedly used the word C with two oo and an n on the end. As others have pointed out it could have sounded like the other c word that has a letter u in it. I would like to point out at this stage Bobby Grant has not yet been found guilty of making a racist comment.

Meanwhile in more inocent times i give you Rochdales very own music hall star

GH Elliott.

G. H. Elliott (1882—1962) was a British music hall singer and dancer. He was born George Henry Elliott in Rochdale, Lancashire in 1882[1] Known as the "Chocolate Coloured Coon", he came on stage with a painted black face but dressed entirely in white. He had a white top hat, a white tail-coat which came down well below the knees, white gloves, white tie or cravat, white trousers, white shoes and a white cane.

He and his family emigrated to the United States when he was four. There he played juvenile parts on stage including the title role in Little Lord Fauntleroy. He was a member of the Primrose West Minstrels at the age of nine where he first blacked up.

Headstone in St. Margaret's Church graveyard, Rottingdean
The family returned to England in 1901 where he continued to perform on the music hall stage. After a number of years treading the boards he rose to top of the bill. He was influenced by Eugene Stratton who also used to black up and he sang some of Stratton’s songs particularly Lily of Laguna which he sang in tribute to his hero. Among the songs particularly associated with him are Idaho, I Used To Sigh For The Silvery Moon and Sue, Sue, Sue.

He appeared in one film only Music Hall (1934) although it is a repeated misconception that a blackface singer who performed his (formerly Eugene Stratton's) song "Lily of Laguna" in Those Were the Days (1934 film) was him. He made several appearances in television variety shows and was the subject of This is Your Life on British television in 1957 [2]

He appeared in three Royal Variety Performances, in 1925, 1948 and 1958. He made over 100 records, his first on a wax cylinder and his last in 1960.

He was married twice, first to Emily Hayes who died in 1940 and then to Florence May Street, known as June. She had been an acrobat in acts as various as the Martinez Troupe/Duo and Sereno (Harry Sereno) and June.

G. H. Elliott retired to Rottingdean, Brighton where he lived in a cottage he named "Silvery Moon" after his song "I Used to Sigh for the Silvery Moon". He is buried in the churchyard of St Margaret's Church, Rottingdean[3] and his gravestone shows a stage with curtains drawn back. It bears the words: "The last curtain call for G H Elliott The Chocolate Coloured Coon who passed peacefully away 19 November 1962. Dearly loved R.I.P."

A large VAT Dave

Club Statement on 19:34 - Jan 13 with 1769 viewsPDIDDY

Paved his way to a move to gigg the racist runt, 8 match ban, let him sit with bish n healey in th e stands

Gissa job

Club Statement on 19:40 - Jan 13 with 1749 viewsjohnofheywood

Last time I looked, in this country you are still 'innocent until proven guily'. I would suggest that some of the more 'offended' posters on here have their own agenda, and this ALLEGED incident has merely provided a further way of advancing their agenda. Also the law regarding defamation applies to comments published on this site - be careful, the police are just as keen on kicking down the doors of internet 'abusers' at 4 in the morning as they are of alleged racists. Freedom of speech in this country is under attack at many levels.
As far as the club not reacting more quickly, as soon as D& R reported the alleged incident to the Met the matter became a potential criminal matter. Under the recommendations of the Macpherson report, which have been implemented, the Met ARE FORCED to investigate allegations of this type. I express no opinion as to the rights and wrongs of this, apart from the fact that it has opened the door to the likes of The Society of Black Lawyers to complain about 'incidents' at games where none of the complainants was actually present! i would imagine that Rochdale AFC would have wanted to seek a legal opinion on any response before publishing it on the official site, and I would imagine it would take time on a Sunday to get this legal advice. Lets not get ahead of ourselves on condemning the player, the Directors or the club before the truth of this allegation has been established.
Unfortunately, this alleged incident has opened the doors to those with their own agenda at both a local and national level to take the moral high ground, and the name of Rochdale AFC will now be dragged through the 'racist' dirt with maximum publicity. if the allegations are later found to be 'not proven' or even worse 'untrue', I wonder if the same level of publicity will be applied to any retractions or apologies???
Sorry about the length of this post, but an allegation of 'racism' is one of the most potentially damaging things that can be levelled at an individual or a club these days, and 'mud sticks'. We will now see our club on the defensive over this, and the player and the club having to 'prove their innocence', which is contrary to all priciples of English Law.
Club Statement on 19:41 - Jan 13 with 1743 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Club Statement on 19:23 - Jan 13 by YouTubeDale

I do sympathise with your view and it does seem, allegedly, that the "cheating rotten" culture has really come back to bite us this time, but I would put a different spin on it... I see this as a low point if ever there was one, but that should spur us on to overcome. Let's not be defeated, as Rochdale Football Club fans, first and foremost, we must stick together and fight for our club's League existance. That means coming to the games despite what is going on. Putting our hard earned cash into the coffers and standing square behind the Rochdale flag. Turning our backs now is the very worst that can be done. If needs be, we can always get Coleman out when we are safe. But in the mean time our support is needed more than ever.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

I agree to a point YTD but to be honest I am exiled so dont really get to many games, my passion was the same as ever and used to go all over, but I no longer have the same passion, for many reasons but mainly due to the fact that the homely little battle against all odds club we had has gone.

I would sooner give the attendance money to the trust than take the time and effort to watch passionless players who dont care. The days of players loving the game has gone, the likes of Reevsie, Lyndon, Tony Brown and other real pro's who played their hearts out has gone.

There is not 1 player in our squad who would get injured to save a goal, years ago the likes of Grant, Seasman, Welchy would have. Maybe its football that has changed but to me the big difference is if you had to name 2 players who would have died for the cause, been hurt tackling or dived in with the studs flying, and your looking at our ex manager and his assistant.

Not the best players but heart wise they gave it all. I doubt they are twittering crap!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Club Statement on 19:46 - Jan 13 with 1718 viewsphomem

It doesn't sound good but innocent until proved guilty. If found guilty the club have a choice sack for gross misconduct or fine him accept the ban and get on with it
Club Statement on 19:49 - Jan 13 with 1701 viewsD_Dale

Club Statement on 19:32 - Jan 13 by ArthurDaley

The way i read it in the Sun, he allegedly used the word C with two oo and an n on the end. As others have pointed out it could have sounded like the other c word that has a letter u in it. I would like to point out at this stage Bobby Grant has not yet been found guilty of making a racist comment.

GH Elliott.

G. H. Elliott (1882—1962) was a British music hall singer and dancer. He was born George Henry Elliott in Rochdale, Lancashire in 1882[1] Known as the "Chocolate Coloured Coon", he came on stage with a painted black face but dressed entirely in white. He had a white top hat, a white tail-coat which came down well below the knees, white gloves, white tie or cravat, white trousers, white shoes and a white cane.

He and his family emigrated to the United States when he was four. There he played juvenile parts on stage including the title role in Little Lord Fauntleroy. He was a member of the Primrose West Minstrels at the age of nine where he first blacked up.

The family returned to England in 1901 where he continued to perform on the music hall stage. After a number of years treading the boards he rose to top of the bill. He was influenced by Eugene Stratton who also used to black up and he sang some of Stratton’s songs particularly Lily of Laguna which he sang in tribute to his hero. Among the songs particularly associated with him are Idaho, I Used To Sigh For The Silvery Moon and Sue, Sue, Sue.

He appeared in one film only Music Hall (1934) although it is a repeated misconception that a blackface singer who performed his (formerly Eugene Stratton's) song "Lily of Laguna" in Those Were the Days (1934 film) was him. He made several appearances in television variety shows and was the subject of This is Your Life on British television in 1957 [2]

He appeared in three Royal Variety Performances, in 1925, 1948 and 1958. He made over 100 records, his first on a wax cylinder and his last in 1960.

He was married twice, first to Emily Hayes who died in 1940 and then to Florence May Street, known as June. She had been an acrobat in acts as various as the Martinez Troupe/Duo and Sereno (Harry Sereno) and June.

G. H. Elliott retired to Rottingdean, Brighton where he lived in a cottage he named "Silvery Moon" after his song "I Used to Sigh for the Silvery Moon". He is buried in the churchyard of St Margaret's Church, Rottingdean[3] and his gravestone shows a stage with curtains drawn back. It bears the words: "The last curtain call for G H Elliott The Chocolate Coloured Coon who passed peacefully away 19 November 1962. Dearly loved R.I.P."

An interesting instance of how some words have become taboo (while others, once regarded as unprintable, proliferate). At the beginning of the last century an American who used the stage name Ernest Hogan made a fortune from his song "All coons looks alike to me". Hogan was black.
Login to get fewer ads

Club Statement on 19:51 - Jan 13 with 1690 viewsolympicdale

Club Statement on 19:46 - Jan 13 by phomem

It doesn't sound good but innocent until proved guilty. If found guilty the club have a choice sack for gross misconduct or fine him accept the ban and get on with it

Notts county fans will be rofl'ing at this right now.

Life is a game of fate.

Club Statement on 19:53 - Jan 13 with 1676 viewsNotEyreClue

Club Statement on 19:40 - Jan 13 by johnofheywood

Last time I looked, in this country you are still 'innocent until proven guily'. I would suggest that some of the more 'offended' posters on here have their own agenda, and this ALLEGED incident has merely provided a further way of advancing their agenda. Also the law regarding defamation applies to comments published on this site - be careful, the police are just as keen on kicking down the doors of internet 'abusers' at 4 in the morning as they are of alleged racists. Freedom of speech in this country is under attack at many levels.
As far as the club not reacting more quickly, as soon as D& R reported the alleged incident to the Met the matter became a potential criminal matter. Under the recommendations of the Macpherson report, which have been implemented, the Met ARE FORCED to investigate allegations of this type. I express no opinion as to the rights and wrongs of this, apart from the fact that it has opened the door to the likes of The Society of Black Lawyers to complain about 'incidents' at games where none of the complainants was actually present! i would imagine that Rochdale AFC would have wanted to seek a legal opinion on any response before publishing it on the official site, and I would imagine it would take time on a Sunday to get this legal advice. Lets not get ahead of ourselves on condemning the player, the Directors or the club before the truth of this allegation has been established.
Unfortunately, this alleged incident has opened the doors to those with their own agenda at both a local and national level to take the moral high ground, and the name of Rochdale AFC will now be dragged through the 'racist' dirt with maximum publicity. if the allegations are later found to be 'not proven' or even worse 'untrue', I wonder if the same level of publicity will be applied to any retractions or apologies???
Sorry about the length of this post, but an allegation of 'racism' is one of the most potentially damaging things that can be levelled at an individual or a club these days, and 'mud sticks'. We will now see our club on the defensive over this, and the player and the club having to 'prove their innocence', which is contrary to all priciples of English Law.

Please, for the sake of your sanity, ignore the idiots that are already condemning Bobby.

The presumption of innocence is sitting in a very precarious position at the moment with regards to racial discrimination and the courts are in danger of creating the illusion of a reversed onus IMO.

The modern pioneer of mealy mouthed bollocks.

Club Statement on 19:58 - Jan 13 with 1651 viewsolympicdale

Club Statement on 19:53 - Jan 13 by NotEyreClue

Please, for the sake of your sanity, ignore the idiots that are already condemning Bobby.

The presumption of innocence is sitting in a very precarious position at the moment with regards to racial discrimination and the courts are in danger of creating the illusion of a reversed onus IMO.

There appears to be this mass hysteria at the moment, where almost every black footballer is accusing others of using racial language towards them, may be its just me, but there more times you hear it, the less I'm inclined to believe it nowadays.

Life is a game of fate.

Club Statement on 19:58 - Jan 13 with 1647 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

It is very damaging and unfortunately, by proxy all supporters of the club are also being accused.

Watch sky sports news for a while, how does it make you feel when the world sees the news feed on the incident?

I, like the vast majority hope it is a misunderstanding and Bobby Grant is innocent and proved so, but dont accuse loyal fans of an agenda, they have every right to be utterly p!ssed off about what is being said about us and our club, through no fault of their own!

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Club Statement on 20:02 - Jan 13 with 1626 viewsThacks_Rabbits

I have seen nobody on here claiming that a certain player is guilty - however what I have seen is little or nobody suggesting it is unlikely he is not - there is a big difference.

Your post suggests you are connected with the club in many ways, I am not saying you are, but the defence of actions does little to suggest not.

I agree totally that the club could not knee jerk react to the suggestion that is in fairness likely to tarnish the club for years - I personally thing things have been handled correctly, as an admission of guilt without the immediate sacking of the player would be negative, and a denial without the full facts would also come back to bite us.

As for the suggestion that "doors will be kicked in" - well thats crap to be fair - not one post on this subject has been anywhere near close to bringing police action of any sort. I personally think the fans on here have set a better example than the players on the pitch.

I assume you are a lawyer or have studied law, so a fair question to you - would you prefer to be sitting for the prosecution or the defence in this case?

Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Club Statement on 20:02 - Jan 13 with 1623 viewsYouTubeDale

Club Statement on 19:32 - Jan 13 by ArthurDaley

GH Elliott.

After 3, one...two...three...

Club Statement on 20:12 - Jan 13 with 1590 viewsdownunder

Club Statement on 19:58 - Jan 13 by olympicdale

There appears to be this mass hysteria at the moment, where almost every black footballer is accusing others of using racial language towards them, may be its just me, but there more times you hear it, the less I'm inclined to believe it nowadays.

The only ones to profit from this are legal people, and maybe the papers may sell a few more copies.
Its all a load of b****cks.
As I said before, "Harden up everybody".
This stuff is appearing here as well now. The nieghbouring team are up before the "judiciary" of the local association, the charge against the coach was for shouting out "watch the black number 10".
He was black, he was a very good player. He also was in a black kit. Waste of time.
What is the penalty for throwing a punch? 3 games and a fine?
Sticks and stones, I recall, is how the saying begins.
Club Statement on 20:13 - Jan 13 with 1585 viewsYouTubeDale

Club Statement on 20:02 - Jan 13 by Thacks_Rabbits

I have seen nobody on here claiming that a certain player is guilty - however what I have seen is little or nobody suggesting it is unlikely he is not - there is a big difference.

Your post suggests you are connected with the club in many ways, I am not saying you are, but the defence of actions does little to suggest not.

I agree totally that the club could not knee jerk react to the suggestion that is in fairness likely to tarnish the club for years - I personally thing things have been handled correctly, as an admission of guilt without the immediate sacking of the player would be negative, and a denial without the full facts would also come back to bite us.

As for the suggestion that "doors will be kicked in" - well thats crap to be fair - not one post on this subject has been anywhere near close to bringing police action of any sort. I personally think the fans on here have set a better example than the players on the pitch.

I assume you are a lawyer or have studied law, so a fair question to you - would you prefer to be sitting for the prosecution or the defence in this case?

My God, we have some sterling supporters at Dale.

Proud to be Dale!!! (Not proud of alleged abuse).

Club Statement on 20:23 - Jan 13 with 1549 viewsNotEyreClue

Sorry to to hijack your reply but as someone who's studied Law I think you'd have to know the full facts, witness statements etc in order to decide where you'd want to sit. Recent high profile cases have hinged on video evidence and assuming that there isn't any in this case, I would imagine it'd be hard to reach a conclusion beyond reasonable doubt. In situations where it's one person's word against another it's a very difficult situation as you'd imagine.

Club Statement on 20:33 - Jan 13 with 1523 viewsjohnofheywood

Thanks for your responses to my post, which were designed to get people thinking about the potential damage to our club, and were not intended to offend anyone who supports this club.
A couple of points /responses :-
No, I am not a lawyer ( If I was, I would be considerably richer than I am!) and sleep better at night for not being anything to do with this countries legal 'system'. I do take a great interest in the way that freedom of speech is under attack in this country - my ancestors are not buried in France for me to sit back and allow that to happen without some form of peaceful resistance.
No, I am not connected with the club unless you count being a season ticket holder and trust member. I am very vocal on the terraces but quiet off them, hence my lack of posts. I am in common with many of you very concerned about the way our club is going, and feel this allegation will be used by some in the town and nationally to further their agendas at the expense of the club I and you love. That was the point I obviously have not made very well in my post.
I am glad to say I will not have to either prosecute or defend this case- with our legal system, the truth is of little concern to either the defence or prosecution, merely getting the right result for their client - little to do with justice.
And believe me, doors have been kicked in of people who have posted what the establishment considers to be inappropriate comments online.
Thanks for your constructive responses - freedom of speech at work!!!
Club Statement on 20:35 - Jan 13 with 1507 viewsColDale

Club Statement on 19:53 - Jan 13 by NotEyreClue

I don't think anybody on here has condemned Grant as guilty. Fans are rightly concerned at the accusation and the possible damage this will have on the club and the dressing room.

What seemingly is beyond doubt is that a comment from Grant sparked off a confrontation. This on the back of his two footed challenge at Burton, his issue with Jason Taylor in the Rotherham game, and his picking up yellow cards for fun suggests we have a problem on our hands, irrespective of whether there is a racial element to it.
Club Statement on 20:39 - Jan 13 with 1494 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Club Statement on 20:33 - Jan 13 by johnofheywood

Thanks for your responses to my post, which were designed to get people thinking about the potential damage to our club, and were not intended to offend anyone who supports this club.
A couple of points /responses :-
No, I am not a lawyer ( If I was, I would be considerably richer than I am!) and sleep better at night for not being anything to do with this countries legal 'system'. I do take a great interest in the way that freedom of speech is under attack in this country - my ancestors are not buried in France for me to sit back and allow that to happen without some form of peaceful resistance.
No, I am not connected with the club unless you count being a season ticket holder and trust member. I am very vocal on the terraces but quiet off them, hence my lack of posts. I am in common with many of you very concerned about the way our club is going, and feel this allegation will be used by some in the town and nationally to further their agendas at the expense of the club I and you love. That was the point I obviously have not made very well in my post.
I am glad to say I will not have to either prosecute or defend this case- with our legal system, the truth is of little concern to either the defence or prosecution, merely getting the right result for their client - little to do with justice.
And believe me, doors have been kicked in of people who have posted what the establishment considers to be inappropriate comments online.
Thanks for your constructive responses - freedom of speech at work!!!

Very well said - And in full agreement apart from the doors kicked in thing - It does however show that you do have to be careful what you type - which I agree is dangerous at times.

Club Statement on 20:46 - Jan 13 with 1461 viewsNotEyreClue

Club Statement on 20:35 - Jan 13 by ColDale

I don't think anybody on here has condemned Grant as guilty. Fans are rightly concerned at the accusation and the possible damage this will have on the club and the dressing room.

What seemingly is beyond doubt is that a comment from Grant sparked off a confrontation. This on the back of his two footed challenge at Burton, his issue with Jason Taylor in the Rotherham game, and his picking up yellow cards for fun suggests we have a problem on our hands, irrespective of whether there is a racial element to it.

I've seen a few posts that are already suggesting shipping him out but my comment was more preemptive than anything else to be honest.

There's no doubt that our disciplinary record is a huge concern at the moment but that simply won't go away unless there is a change of personnel. We either accept Coleman and his failings or we get rid completely. To complain about it now is pretty pointless; we knew what we were getting when we appointed Coleman if not the precise scale of the problem.

I'm not defending the indiscipline but is there anyone who seriously thought that we'd get otherwise knowing of Coleman's teams in the past and his own/Bell's character flaws?

Club Statement on 20:50 - Jan 13 with 1444 viewsSandyman

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty by the appropriate sources of judgement.

If BG is guilty he deserves all the punishment he gets.

If NOT, then the Daggers player(s) should get lifetime bans IMHO for trumped up charges designed to ruin the integrity of a player and a club.

The truth will out.
Club Statement on 20:55 - Jan 13 with 1427 viewsYouTubeDale

I hope that this incident will not " be used by some in the town and nationally to further their agendas at the expense of the club I and you love". But I agree with you, it could.

As Dale supporters we are naturally very sensitive regarding negative publicity towards Rochdale. The sexual abuse case in Heywood. Cyril Smith's alleged abuses. Falinge being the most deprived area in England - it comes across that "Rochdale" is the most deprived town. Our image is damaged,which is bad for our feel good factor and ultimately,in my opinion, lost jobs for the town.

I am hoping it doesn't receive more than it's fair share of publicity. The club has tried to engage our Asian neighbours to attend Spotland and this could set us back further with this regard.

Club Statement on 20:56 - Jan 13 with 1417 viewsdancdale

downunder-

"The only ones to profit from this are legal people, and maybe the papers may sell a few more copies.
Its all a load of b****cks.
As I said before, "Harden up everybody". "

I disagree, a proper full investigation and IF found guilty- resultant sanctions both will show that racism will not be tolerated, something beneficial to all society.
The idea that it should be put up with, and that desire to take action in prevention is somehow being soft- as your statements imply, is woefully outdated and ignorant.

olympicdale-

"There appears to be this mass hysteria at the moment, where almost every black footballer is accusing others of using racial language towards them, may be its just me, but there more times you hear it, the less I'm inclined to believe it nowadays."

You seem to swap your opinions on a regular basis simply to agree and hopefully be liked by whoever has posted last.
What you put here is absolute bull, how many black footballers are there? how many allegations of racial abuse have there been? do you calculate allegations by almost all of them?
Do you really operate a logic where the more allegations there are the less likely there to be a crime?
Of those recent allegations that have occurred, which have proven untrue, or have even been denied?
Club Statement on 21:00 - Jan 13 with 1398 viewsNotEyreClue

Club Statement on 20:50 - Jan 13 by Sandyman

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty by the appropriate sources of judgement.

If BG is guilty he deserves all the punishment he gets.

If NOT, then the Daggers player(s) should get lifetime bans IMHO for trumped up charges designed to ruin the integrity of a player and a club.

The truth will out.

It's very unlikely that you're going to get a full on 'not guilty' verdict though. The most likely scenario is that there won't be enough evidence or it was either inconclusive.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024