Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good Reads Reprised... 20:24 - May 30 with 1321 viewsMrSheen

I'm just getting started on Dominic Sandbrook's "Seasons in the Sun", about Britain during the Labour governments of 1974-79; it's the the third or fourth in a series he has written. Although he has now taken over from Niall Ferguson as the Daily Mail's historian in residence, it's a very entertaining and eclectic read, drawing on diaries, newspapers, interviews and popular culture, to give a picture of an era I can just only dimly understood - I was 10 in 1974. While I remember some of the things mentioned, others have been shocking to me, eg the Ulster Workers' Strike and the warfare within Harold Wilson's private office (Wilson's doctor offered to poison his secretary Marcia Williams as he considered her a malign influence).
Good Reads Reprised... on 20:34 - May 30 with 1311 viewsCroydonCaptJack

That sounds interesting. I am the same age as you so don't remember a lot. Power cuts is about all.
Good Reads Reprised... on 20:41 - May 30 with 1304 viewsMrSheen

Good Reads Reprised... on 20:34 - May 30 by CroydonCaptJack

That sounds interesting. I am the same age as you so don't remember a lot. Power cuts is about all.

Very entertaining and easy read. Sandbrook is a Wolves fan, so he always finds a way to get them in and have a dig at Albion. He might struggle when he gets to 1983-88.
Good Reads Reprised... on 05:40 - May 31 with 1253 viewstimcocking

Matterhorn i read recently, good book i thought. Novel about the Vietnam war as written from the point of view of a platoon sergeant or whatever. A novel, but written by the man who was the sergeant in real life, so really grim and realistic.
Good Reads Reprised... on 09:13 - May 31 with 1217 viewsnadera78

Wilson dealing with opponents in his own party was one thing, but having the security services and members of the establishment plotting against him was of another order altogether. Utterly disgraceful, and shows the contempt these people really have for the rest of society.
Good Reads Reprised... on 10:40 - May 31 with 1192 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Re-Reading these next.

This one is great he's a Canadian! This is one of My tanks on WOT too so I want to enhance my experience.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Good Reads Reprised... on 10:47 - May 31 with 1182 viewsA40Bosh

I've just reordered this one

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Good Reads Reprised... on 10:50 - May 31 with 1170 viewsMrSheen

Good Reads Reprised... on 09:13 - May 31 by nadera78

Wilson dealing with opponents in his own party was one thing, but having the security services and members of the establishment plotting against him was of another order altogether. Utterly disgraceful, and shows the contempt these people really have for the rest of society.

One of the points made in the book is that Wilson was sinking into alcoholism and possibly even then into dementia, and did nothng about any of the crises affecting his government and the country while his aides were at war with each other. As for establishment plots, he discusses the burglaries and the bugs at number 10, but also exposes Peter Wright, Cecil King and Walter Walker as fantasists who exaggerated their support and got nowhere.
Good Reads Reprised... on 15:44 - May 31 with 1135 viewspeakqpr

I really enjoyed it especially as I was 17 in 1974 and, obviously, can't remember anything clearly!
Login to get fewer ads

Good Reads Reprised... on 11:13 - Jun 1 with 1070 viewsCamberleyR

The telly series they did a couple of years ago with Sandbrook presenting it, based on the books, was good as well.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Good Reads Reprised... on 11:23 - Jun 1 with 1064 viewsCamberleyR

The telly series they did a couple of years ago with Sandbrook presenting it, based on the books, was good as well.

Good Reads Reprised... on 13:14 - Jun 1 with 1042 viewsLblock

Good Reads Reprised... on 11:13 - Jun 1 by CamberleyR

Was this series ever repeated?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Good Reads Reprised... on 13:15 - Jun 1 with 1041 viewsLblock

Good Reads Reprised... on 11:23 - Jun 1 by CamberleyR

Was this series ever repeated?!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Good Reads Reprised... on 23:08 - Jun 1 with 998 viewsCamberleyR

Good Reads Reprised... on 13:15 - Jun 1 by Lblock

Was this series ever repeated?!

Don't think it has been repeated. It was called "The 70s" and was shown on BBC 2 in early 2012.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024