Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed 21:57 - Jul 21 with 9920 viewsmodelboydave

Have just spend the weekend with my second cousin, he was telling me about a photo that exists of his father and a friend taken at the Rochdale v cambridge match in 1974 played on a Monday afternoon. The photo showed his father and a friend stood on the terrace with no one else around. The match was the lowest post war football league attendance.

He seems to remember it may have been printed in TVOS at the time, and was also printed in a magazine called titbits....( no I have never heard if it either)

Long shot but don't suppose this rings a bell with any older dalies?

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 20:02 - May 31 with 2391 viewsArthurDaley

Hello what's going on here, I never put this on.

A large VAT Dave

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 20:09 - May 31 with 2388 viewsPGB

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:17 - Jul 23 by modelboydave

It's nice to know the issues of the day tidbits dealt with are just as relevant today - esp the one top left

Tidbits is the American spelling of the English Titbits. They are apparently too sensitive about the correct spelling of an innocuous word but not about selling guns to rednecks or bombing innocents
[Post edited 3 Jun 2019 20:24]
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 20:25 - May 31 with 2367 viewsfrenzied

I can remember the titbits mag..I’m sure it was colour on the outside and black and white inside?
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:17 - May 31 with 2297 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 18:53 - May 31 by mikehunt

Is it the Dale even. There seem too many trees.

Yes, it’s definitely Spotland in the 1970s.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 09:19 - Jun 1 with 2224 viewsmikehunt

Thanks TVOS. Some picture then. Have you managed to suss the game yet?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 16:53 - Mar 27 with 1801 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Was there a match program for the Feb ‘74 game?
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 19:16 - Mar 27 with 1663 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 16:53 - Mar 27 by Albert_Whitehurst

Was there a match program for the Feb ‘74 game?

There was, I've got one.

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 20:25 - Mar 27 with 1610 viewshammerdale

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 15:26 - May 31 by TVOS1907

That picture’s from a different game.

Dale wore white in the infamous 1974 Cambridge match, while the visitors were in their usual amber & black.

Great image though.
[Post edited 31 May 2019 15:27]

I seem to remember Rochdale played in white shirts with a blue and yellow diagonal stripes against Cambridge. A picture of that game appeared in the old football league review which was given away with programmes.
Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 20:35 - Mar 27 with 1596 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 20:25 - Mar 27 by hammerdale

I seem to remember Rochdale played in white shirts with a blue and yellow diagonal stripes against Cambridge. A picture of that game appeared in the old football league review which was given away with programmes.

Those were indeed our colours; awful kit for an awful season. Don't recall any variations from that, we wouldn't have been able to afford multiple kit options, although wasn't at that particular game

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:55 - Mar 27 with 1496 viewspioneer

In a couple of games we played in it with blue shorts, which was marginally better than the regular white shorts, but like the season, one to forget.
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 22:58 - Mar 27 with 1493 views442Dale

People seemed to be proper obsessed with kits in the 70s. Weird.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 01:26 - Mar 28 with 1442 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

https://www.toffs.com/shop-by-team/football/league-two/rochdale/rochdale-afc-197
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 05:58 - Mar 28 with 1417 viewspioneer

Thats a tough one. Obviously in winter (no leaves on trees and winter coats), so an afternoon game.

The terracing at the side of the main stand was quite popular so given the sparse crowd on there it must have been during our darker days so to speak - up to 68 (and we are in the white shirts) or after 75 (and we are in the dark (blue) shirts. Dale played in white shirts and black shorts up to 1968 but I am guessing that would be too early. From some of the hairstyles i would guess mid late 70s.

Does anyone have the date of the Tidbits edition that it appeared in? I am guessing the one posted (1968) is not the one that carries the photo ....right? Tidbits finished being published in 1984 so that doesnt help.

The photo is quite grainy - i suspect the key to this is identifying the goalie. I am struggling to think of a Dale goalie that it might be - so that pushes me to the mid-late 70s.

Incidentally that photo from the Cambridge game in 1974 featured in the football league review which was inserted into many clubs programmes at the time. If my ailing memory is accurate it might even have been on the cover.
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 06:05 - Mar 28 with 1415 viewspioneer

Another clue suggests its 1970s - the main stand roof shows the repairs after it collapsed under the weight of snow. That was in winter 1967 but it was not repaired for a while and that end of the stand was closed off I think until late 1967-8 season, by which time the trees would have had leaves on them.
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 13:16 - Mar 28 with 1296 viewspioneer

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 08:31 - Jul 22 by modelboydave

Thanks for all the info guys.

TVOS - I think it did !! I seem to remember the first edition was published against Fulham on 29th nov 1969 ( off the top of my head!)

See if you can rack your brains, I have been challenged to find the photo.

Titbits was apparently the type of magazine you read in the barbers. Not having visited one for over 10 years I wouldn't know

The programme was redesigned mid season 1969-70 starting with the Fulham you mention (the game was abandoned) and the new design was titled Voice of Spotland splashed across the cover.

Voice of Spotland continued as the title of the programme in the 1970-71 season. In 1971-72 the title was changed to Spotlight on Rochdale to take advantage of the installation of the new floodlights.

The voice of Spotland was adopted as title in the late 90s (1998-99 maybe?)
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 15:26 - Mar 28 with 1200 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 13:16 - Mar 28 by pioneer

The programme was redesigned mid season 1969-70 starting with the Fulham you mention (the game was abandoned) and the new design was titled Voice of Spotland splashed across the cover.

Voice of Spotland continued as the title of the programme in the 1970-71 season. In 1971-72 the title was changed to Spotlight on Rochdale to take advantage of the installation of the new floodlights.

The voice of Spotland was adopted as title in the late 90s (1998-99 maybe?)

1998/99

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 15:45 - Mar 28 with 1188 viewsmingthemerciless

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 05:58 - Mar 28 by pioneer

Thats a tough one. Obviously in winter (no leaves on trees and winter coats), so an afternoon game.

The terracing at the side of the main stand was quite popular so given the sparse crowd on there it must have been during our darker days so to speak - up to 68 (and we are in the white shirts) or after 75 (and we are in the dark (blue) shirts. Dale played in white shirts and black shorts up to 1968 but I am guessing that would be too early. From some of the hairstyles i would guess mid late 70s.

Does anyone have the date of the Tidbits edition that it appeared in? I am guessing the one posted (1968) is not the one that carries the photo ....right? Tidbits finished being published in 1984 so that doesnt help.

The photo is quite grainy - i suspect the key to this is identifying the goalie. I am struggling to think of a Dale goalie that it might be - so that pushes me to the mid-late 70s.

Incidentally that photo from the Cambridge game in 1974 featured in the football league review which was inserted into many clubs programmes at the time. If my ailing memory is accurate it might even have been on the cover.

I thought it was white shirts and very dark blue shorts in the 1960’s ?
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 19:48 - Mar 28 with 1112 viewspioneer

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 15:45 - Mar 28 by mingthemerciless

I thought it was white shirts and very dark blue shorts in the 1960’s ?

In the best tradition of John Motson “ Forthose watching in black and white Rochdale are the team in very dark blue shorts”

Pretty sure it was black shorts, the programme cover at the time was black and white and I distictly remember having a black and white scarf.

You might possibly be getting us mixed up with the national team. Very easily done😊
Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 20:13 - Mar 28 with 1101 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 19:48 - Mar 28 by pioneer

In the best tradition of John Motson “ Forthose watching in black and white Rochdale are the team in very dark blue shorts”

Pretty sure it was black shorts, the programme cover at the time was black and white and I distictly remember having a black and white scarf.

You might possibly be getting us mixed up with the national team. Very easily done😊

It was black and white. Your programme reference confirms the visual impression

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 21:16 - Mar 28 with 1045 viewsmingthemerciless

Rochdale v cambridge 1974 - help needed on 19:48 - Mar 28 by pioneer

Quite possibly Spurs, Bolton and Bury were all teams that played in a similar kit in that era.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024