Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar advice. 23:23 - Sep 29 with 7445 viewscalders

There seems to be quite a few musicians/ guitarists on this board so thought I would seek some advice.
My mate who is currently living in the usa is looking at selling his guitar,
Its a gibson es-335 cherry red serial no 168084. It is known as a stop tail version. He thinks it's a 1964 model but not 100% sure, guitar comes in an original Gibson case I believe, and is currently with me in London, the question is where would be the best place to get a valuation and best place to sell it, or would he be better off selling from the USA. any advice appreciated.

Guitar advice. on 00:12 - Sep 30 with 7406 viewsted_hendrix

You could probably take It to Vintage and Rare in Denmark Street they will most likely value it for you and authenticate and date it too.
If they sell it for you they'll charge you probably 25% of the cost (they have to pay VAT on top of the sale.
You can date it yourself on the Gibson site but Gibson's serial numbering is notoriously a mess especially old guitars.
That is one hell of a guitar if it's all original and I'm gonna take a guess and value it at £8k.
I'll give you a grand cash right now.
Cherry red you say?
Beautiful, just beautiful.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2013 0:12]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Guitar advice. on 02:06 - Sep 30 with 7370 viewsPommyhoop

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Guitar advice. on 08:26 - Sep 30 with 7296 viewsMonahoop

Guitar advice. on 02:06 - Sep 30 by Pommyhoop

Wow! What a beauty. And those curves? [wolf whistles].

Although I'm a bass and harmonica man, that's a great guitar. Classic sound, great for early r n b, r n r and even jazz. If the one you have is authentic, then as Ted says that could worth a pretty penny.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Guitar advice. on 10:34 - Sep 30 with 7235 viewsMoonshineSteve

Ted's is good advice. I would think it probable that you'll get a better price here than in the States, where they're more plentiful.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Guitar advice. on 12:05 - Sep 30 with 7185 viewssmegma

I know where you live Calders, so lock your doors when you go out !!
Guitar advice. on 15:43 - Sep 30 with 7115 viewsTheBlob

Looked it up and the resource reckons it was made at the Kalamazoo plant in approx.1964.
If it had been a few numbers away from the Eric Clapton 67473 "Crossroads" 335 you'd be staring at some nice wonga,five figures of wonga.
Like everything else prices have dipped during the austerity regime, not the best time to sell.I'd hang on to it if it were mine,good investment.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Guitar advice. on 15:46 - Sep 30 with 7113 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Not a fan of that type but that looks Pukka.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Guitar advice. on 15:48 - Sep 30 with 7106 viewsTheBlob

Guitar advice. on 15:46 - Sep 30 by Metallica_Hoop

It's a very versatile plank.Haven't seen anyone of note shred with it.

Login to get fewer ads

Guitar advice. on 15:50 - Sep 30 with 7106 viewsA40Bosh

Guitar advice. on 15:46 - Sep 30 by Metallica_Hoop

You probably won't fancy this type much then!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Guitar advice. on 16:00 - Sep 30 with 7089 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Guitar advice. on 15:48 - Sep 30 by TheBlob

That strikes me as more your Beefy Botham type of guitar. Not 'yer quick Curtly Ambrose.

That's alright Bosh, not too keen on the gold though. I know it's a cliche but I love these.

I was at this gig.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Guitar advice. on 16:17 - Sep 30 with 7068 viewsjonno

Guitar advice. on 15:48 - Sep 30 by TheBlob

Alvin Lee (RIP) of Ten Years After.
Guitar advice. on 18:14 - Sep 30 with 7015 viewsTheBlob

Guitar advice. on 16:17 - Sep 30 by jonno

Alvin Lee (RIP) of Ten Years After.

That's right Jonno,forgot about Alvin.Sad loss.

Guitar advice. on 18:58 - Sep 30 with 6994 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Ritchie Blackmore gave his 335 a pretty damn good workout on Speed King
Guitar advice. on 19:05 - Sep 30 with 6984 viewsbaldyhoop

Guitar advice. on 02:06 - Sep 30 by Pommyhoop

Oh man that Gibson has given me a stiffy
Guitar advice. on 21:23 - Sep 30 with 6918 viewscalders

Blown away by the advice many thanks guys, Ted my mate took it to vintage and rare a few years back and you were spot on valued it approx 8k but that may have changed since,
Blob my mate was very impressed and was wondering how you got that info, was it on the net? He has spent hours searching but couldn't get an exact year. Many thanks once again everyone and I will keep you updated.
Guitar advice. on 22:50 - Sep 30 with 6884 viewsTW_R

Guitar advice. on 16:00 - Sep 30 by Metallica_Hoop

That strikes me as more your Beefy Botham type of guitar. Not 'yer quick Curtly Ambrose.

That's alright Bosh, not too keen on the gold though. I know it's a cliche but I love these.

I was at this gig.

Haha. I just knew you would choose a V.
Guitar advice. on 23:15 - Sep 30 with 6869 viewsBluce_Ree

The ES-335 shape is my favourite guitar shape. It used to be the Telecaster but my Tele f*cked up so many times on stage that I stop liking them as much.

My main guitar now is an Aria 335 copy. It was pretty cheap but it looks great, sounds good and plays nicely. It's blue which is the most important thing. I don't care too much about the details, put it in my hands and I'll play it like a bad motherf*cker regardless of what it costs.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Guitar advice. on 23:32 - Sep 30 with 6863 viewsted_hendrix

Guitar advice. on 21:23 - Sep 30 by calders

Blown away by the advice many thanks guys, Ted my mate took it to vintage and rare a few years back and you were spot on valued it approx 8k but that may have changed since,
Blob my mate was very impressed and was wondering how you got that info, was it on the net? He has spent hours searching but couldn't get an exact year. Many thanks once again everyone and I will keep you updated.

Calders,
I 've bought gear from Vintage and Rare in the past, I bought a 1973 Gibson SG deluxe (with the Gibson tremolo arm factory fitted) that was dated on the pots as well as the back of the headstock but like I said Gibsons were crap at keeping serial number records but,
There is a site somewhere in the internet stratosphere (not Gibson though) that show pages and pages of dated Gibson serial numbers, It's a bitch to go through and from memory bloody confusing.
I've got loads of books on dating Fender amps and guitars (Fender being my anorak passion) I had a 1958 Fender Princeton that had been used in a Detroit recording studio for Years It looked like shit, all ripped tweed and stained but it had the 'sound' to die for, I easily got my money back on the little beauty and then purchased the mother and father of all guitars another Telecaster of whicjh I've had many.
I'm waffling now stay cool and I hope things work out for you.
As Alvin Lee once said about 40 Years ago when stood on stage at Reading University with his 335 at the ready;
"This Is Called I'm Going Home"
Awesome gig ,just awesome.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Guitar advice. on 09:33 - Oct 1 with 6795 viewsTheBlob

Guitar advice. on 21:23 - Sep 30 by calders

My bruv Steve who knows more about this than I do,says a good litmus test of prices is The Chicago Music
http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/search.php?q=335&x=24&y=5
and Gruhn Guitars......
http://www.gruhn.com/

Interesting auction house which has dedicated musical instrument sales - good place to buy/sell.
http://gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/Catalogues/mi190913/index.html
[Post edited 1 Oct 2013 9:41]

Guitar advice. on 22:04 - Oct 1 with 6709 viewscalders

Blob, Ted many thanks again. Forgot to mention my mate spent over a grand having it re threated etc. He had it done by an ex Gibson tech using original parts, he's got paperwork that says 9.5 playability and 7.5 for originality. Knowing absolutely nothing about guitars it meant f,ck all to me.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2013 22:08]
Guitar advice. on 22:45 - Oct 1 with 6677 viewsscot1963

Guitar advice. on 19:05 - Sep 30 by baldyhoop

if Blob had to choose between saving a Les Paul or yours truly in a fire I reckon I'd be a distant second

A little Gibson quiz for any experts

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Swingo/gibson_guitarists
Guitar advice. on 23:05 - Oct 1 with 6647 viewsTheBlob

Guitar advice. on 22:45 - Oct 1 by scot1963

if Blob had to choose between saving a Les Paul or yours truly in a fire I reckon I'd be a distant second

A little Gibson quiz for any experts

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Swingo/gibson_guitarists

A tad unfair.I'd save the both of you because you'd have the geetar round your neck.
I quit that quiz in disgust.Kurt Cobain ffs?The Edge??No Peter Green,Johnny Winter,Albert King,Paul Gilbert,John McLaughlin,Steve Lukather....
Steve f*cking Jones????

Guitar advice. on 23:08 - Oct 1 with 6643 viewsscot1963

Guitar advice. on 23:05 - Oct 1 by TheBlob

A tad unfair.I'd save the both of you because you'd have the geetar round your neck.
I quit that quiz in disgust.Kurt Cobain ffs?The Edge??No Peter Green,Johnny Winter,Albert King,Paul Gilbert,John McLaughlin,Steve Lukather....
Steve f*cking Jones????

I gave up the quiz before I started - haven't got a clue, what about this

http://www.sporcle.com/games/zalkon2004/guitar-faces-pictures
Guitar advice. on 00:17 - Oct 2 with 6614 viewsBluce_Ree

More advice needed. I need to sell one of my guitars. What's the best way of sending one of these badboys through the post these days? Can the post office do anything or should I courier it?

Selling one of these btw - http://www.imusician.co.uk/acatalog/ibanez_afs95t_marine_blue.html

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Guitar advice. on 20:24 - Oct 6 with 6532 viewsjonno

Guitar advice. on 19:05 - Sep 30 by baldyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024