Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wasps being sent to Coventry 15:59 - Oct 7 with 4620 viewskropotkin41

Now I'm no fan of egg chasing, but wouldn't make more sense for us to share with them? I suppose there'd be issues of keeping the pitch in good condition, but I suspect that we'd have no problems maintaining it to Conference standard.

In any event, pretty stupid a London rugby club moving to Coventry when we have a debt like a small country and a ground that could generate money every week instead of once a fortnight.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 16:18 - Oct 7 with 4595 viewsrobith

Wasps themselves are also broke, and the 4 big London clubs have historically all been competing for roughly the same area of London, be it West, north West and South West. Quins basically have it locked down and London Irish have had reasonable success in creating a fanbase in the Thames Valley via their move to Reading. so with a lot of national championship clubs based in the Midland their move is probably about building a fan base in the midlands because they haven't been able to support themselves in either West London nor Wycombe.
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 16:20 - Oct 7 with 4588 viewskropotkin41

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 16:18 - Oct 7 by robith

Wasps themselves are also broke, and the 4 big London clubs have historically all been competing for roughly the same area of London, be it West, north West and South West. Quins basically have it locked down and London Irish have had reasonable success in creating a fanbase in the Thames Valley via their move to Reading. so with a lot of national championship clubs based in the Midland their move is probably about building a fan base in the midlands because they haven't been able to support themselves in either West London nor Wycombe.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. All I heard about it was that Wasps fans were up in arms, but I suppose that's natural enough.

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 16:28 - Oct 7 with 4562 viewsClive_Anderson

I thought this was a brilliant idea until I realised it was referring to the rugby team.
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 16:30 - Oct 7 with 4552 viewskropotkin41

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 16:28 - Oct 7 by Clive_Anderson

I thought this was a brilliant idea until I realised it was referring to the rugby team.

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 16:45 - Oct 7 with 4524 viewssaxbend

Very very bad for Wasps, but Coventry desperately need some help bearing the cost of playing at their own stadium and if Wasps are willing to help them then there is a positive in keeping Coventry in business. That said, it is extremely worrying that Wasps can't find somewhere to play in London.
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 17:00 - Oct 7 with 4496 viewsrobith

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 16:20 - Oct 7 by kropotkin41

Oh, okay. That makes sense. All I heard about it was that Wasps fans were up in arms, but I suppose that's natural enough.

Yeah i understand their reaction.I used to have a season ticket at London Irish, but now they took a business decision to turn their back on their heritage and make cash playing in a half full madjeski presenting some faux diddly eiddly version of Irishness for the Berkshire masses to amuse themselves with on a Sunday afternoon.

At the end of the day they alienated me and many like me, but the club would argue back that it was the only way to keep them going and keep them a premiership club. English club rugby is a in a tough place atm, especially with all the cash in France, and they've sold their soul to the BT dollar too.
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 17:55 - Oct 7 with 4433 viewssimmo

Doesnt this completely fck Coventry rugby team though?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 19:39 - Oct 7 with 4352 viewsDWQPR

Would have thought that a sensible approach would have been to look at a club like AFC Wimbledon or even Woking or maybe Hayes & Yeading, which would have helped them to complete their stadium. Certainly with Wimbledon at least it is a catchment area that would attract Rugby supporters. Seems total desperation this move, can see the club folding in the not too distant future. Any sporting club left f**ked by Chris Wright.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Login to get fewer ads

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 10:04 - Oct 8 with 4227 viewsrobith

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 19:39 - Oct 7 by DWQPR

Would have thought that a sensible approach would have been to look at a club like AFC Wimbledon or even Woking or maybe Hayes & Yeading, which would have helped them to complete their stadium. Certainly with Wimbledon at least it is a catchment area that would attract Rugby supporters. Seems total desperation this move, can see the club folding in the not too distant future. Any sporting club left f**ked by Chris Wright.

Wimbledon is full blown Harlequins territory.

They were already playing at Adams Park but couldn't get it to work. As I mentioned above I think they're trying to copy London Irish and build a support base somewhere without a top level rugby team.

So strange to seem them up the spout. Their double European cup team of less than a decade ago was magnificent
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 10:04 - Oct 8 with 4226 viewsrobith

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 17:55 - Oct 7 by simmo

Doesnt this completely fck Coventry rugby team though?

Actively so
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 11:05 - Oct 8 with 4196 viewsloftboy

The parallels with this and mk Dons is frightening, I can see Coventry Rugby club going the same way as Milton Keynes City fc. Franchise Wasps RFC.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 14:36 - Oct 8 with 4097 viewsgobbles

Whoever has been running Wasps is a complete fool. When Wasps were playing at Loftus Road, Saracens were playing in a park in Southgate. From there they moved to Enfield FC, then Watford. Now they have their own new ground in Edgware and they play big games at Wembley.
Wasps were always a much bigger club than Saracens and Irish/Richmond/Scottish/Welsh.
Wasps moving to Wycombe screwed them in the first place, but going to Coventry will put them out of business within two years. None of their current fans will go and I can't see how they can build a fanbase in Coventry from scratch.
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 14:43 - Oct 8 with 4082 viewsTacticalR

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 14:36 - Oct 8 by gobbles

Whoever has been running Wasps is a complete fool. When Wasps were playing at Loftus Road, Saracens were playing in a park in Southgate. From there they moved to Enfield FC, then Watford. Now they have their own new ground in Edgware and they play big games at Wembley.
Wasps were always a much bigger club than Saracens and Irish/Richmond/Scottish/Welsh.
Wasps moving to Wycombe screwed them in the first place, but going to Coventry will put them out of business within two years. None of their current fans will go and I can't see how they can build a fanbase in Coventry from scratch.

Sounds like a complete mess to be added to the complete mess that already exists in Coventry.

Air hostess clique

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 15:10 - Oct 8 with 4068 viewsMrSheen

Wembley loss-making games apart, Saracens crowds are barely any bigger than Wasps', despite their greater recent success. The difference is that Saracens have had a open-handed sugar daddy, and Wasps had Chris Wright.

The presentation of club Rugby Union as a high-profile national sport is ridiculous. Only five clubs regularly break five figure crowds (Leicester, Northampton, Gloucester, Bath and Harlequins), and only Leicester get over 20,000. Newcastle, Sale and Wasps play in front of about 5,000 people, London Welsh about 2,000.
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 17:14 - Oct 8 with 4013 viewsrobith

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 14:36 - Oct 8 by gobbles

The issue was - Sarries had backers with money, and Wasps do not
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 22:27 - Oct 8 with 3922 viewskropotkin41

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 17:14 - Oct 8 by robith

The issue was - Sarries had backers with money, and Wasps do not

But aren't Wasps buying a 50% stake in the Ricoh Arena? That must be taking some money to do that.

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 22:31 - Oct 8 with 3914 viewsMrSheen

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 22:27 - Oct 8 by kropotkin41

But aren't Wasps buying a 50% stake in the Ricoh Arena? That must be taking some money to do that.

They have a new Irish owner who saved them from bankruptcy last year. Their decline was under Chris Wright and a Wycombe businessman, Steve Hayes, who walked when he coudn't get permission for a local stadium. 2,800 season ticket holders and £3m annual losses in Wycombe apparently.
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 22:37 - Oct 8 with 3906 viewsFredManRave

Couldn't the Wasps movein with the Bees or do they not get along?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 08:35 - Oct 9 with 3812 viewsMrSheen

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 22:37 - Oct 8 by FredManRave

Couldn't the Wasps movein with the Bees or do they not get along?!

Marriage made in heaven you'd think, but London Irish have first dibs on sharing Brentford's new stadium.
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 09:46 - Oct 9 with 3779 viewsEastR

Yes, bright idea to re-locate to somewhere with no proven demographic of surplus support, and within a competitive catchment area for two for the best supported teams in the country - Leicester and Northampton.
In 6 weeks time.
A desperate move for a club already struggling and losing money (albeit not at the same rate as us) It'll be a roaring success.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 10:06 - Oct 9 with 3767 viewsdaveB

Chris Wright wanted to do the same with QPR when he was owner moving us to Milton Keynes, he has previous
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 18:08 - Oct 9 with 3658 viewsTGRRRSSS

I am a rugby fan - I follow Harlequins for what it's worth.

Never been a fan of wasps since the days of Wright swering up and carrying on with them.

Hayes tried for ages to build something near Wycombe but wasnt allowed.
Personally it's laughable to think people will buy STs and commute about 100 miles every week for a home game or however often it is.
London Irish havent built much of a fan base as far as I can see in Reading, its very expensive now - I went to a game there v Harlequins last year and was shocked at prices for halp empty ground.

I see Wasps are making a big show of having biggest turnover in UK (rugby sides) but not explained exactly how, but did mention the 4 star hotel there.
They have bought 50% of the ground as I understand it and only got 15p in the pound at Adams Park.

Nonetheless I view this as MK Dons territory but with even less hope of success.

I will be interested too see what happens in December onwards when they are there but also the next few weeks.

If you were a Wasps fan would you want money back now? Go to last few games in High Wycombe, or even give Richoh a go?
It's going to be interesting but there is an argument that London Irish, Wasps and currently London Welsh have all moved out of London in recentish times with Welsh the most recent to allow for promotion to top tier.
There is little to suggest long term success for the first 2 has happened since the game has matured as a business.
In essence most successful sides have developed their own grounds and built them and the support base up such as Northampton, Leicester and Harlequins.
Saracens are newer to the party but have stayed relatively in catchment area and started from a lower base to begin with.
Wasps seem to have run into the ground over the years after initial success in late 90's early 00's in prime Dallaglio era.

I cant see how this move will be such a success for them when in essence London Irish still havent really captured the minds of the local base in Berkshire/Hampshire etc.
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 13:33 - Oct 14 with 3521 viewsderbyhoop

I think we should all have a whip round for our esteemed editor and get him a ticjet to watch Rugby Union at one of his favourite grounds, the Ricoh Arena. If we cvan arrange for them to only serve Carling in plastic glasses, I'm sure his day will be complete.

What do you think, Clive?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 14:41 - Oct 15 with 3451 viewsTGRRRSSS

Yup I think so.

Had a look at Wasps main forum and it's staggering the difference between rugby followers and footie.
So many on their talking prior to Bath game saying only go if you wanna support the boys etc incredible.

Some laughably naive comments from their fans though about how it'll be easy getting to Cov by train and so on and so forth.
Wasps being sent to Coventry on 15:24 - Oct 15 with 3428 viewspaulparker

Wasps being sent to Coventry on 18:08 - Oct 9 by TGRRRSSS

I am a rugby fan - I follow Harlequins for what it's worth.

Never been a fan of wasps since the days of Wright swering up and carrying on with them.

Hayes tried for ages to build something near Wycombe but wasnt allowed.
Personally it's laughable to think people will buy STs and commute about 100 miles every week for a home game or however often it is.
London Irish havent built much of a fan base as far as I can see in Reading, its very expensive now - I went to a game there v Harlequins last year and was shocked at prices for halp empty ground.

I see Wasps are making a big show of having biggest turnover in UK (rugby sides) but not explained exactly how, but did mention the 4 star hotel there.
They have bought 50% of the ground as I understand it and only got 15p in the pound at Adams Park.

Nonetheless I view this as MK Dons territory but with even less hope of success.

I will be interested too see what happens in December onwards when they are there but also the next few weeks.

If you were a Wasps fan would you want money back now? Go to last few games in High Wycombe, or even give Richoh a go?
It's going to be interesting but there is an argument that London Irish, Wasps and currently London Welsh have all moved out of London in recentish times with Welsh the most recent to allow for promotion to top tier.
There is little to suggest long term success for the first 2 has happened since the game has matured as a business.
In essence most successful sides have developed their own grounds and built them and the support base up such as Northampton, Leicester and Harlequins.
Saracens are newer to the party but have stayed relatively in catchment area and started from a lower base to begin with.
Wasps seem to have run into the ground over the years after initial success in late 90's early 00's in prime Dallaglio era.

I cant see how this move will be such a success for them when in essence London Irish still havent really captured the minds of the local base in Berkshire/Hampshire etc.

This will be an epic fail on so many levels,
having worked in Coventry (Debt Collecting) my patch was around the Rioch arena
I can tell you now that once the novelty has gone they will be lucky to get crowds of 5k ,
its obvious that the Wasps board are trying to tap into the "East Midlands" market from the success of saints & Leicester but these are traditional rugby towns
the people of Coventry couldn't give a monkeys about rugby & as for the Wasp fans from London they will soon discover what a dump Coventry is and that there is fcuk all to do in and around the Rioch arena ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024