Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Richie Benaud 01:34 - Apr 10 with 2340 viewseastside_r

RIP

Will add to this later. A genuine broadcasting genius and apparently no mean player (way before my time.)

Loved this guy.
Richie Benaud on 04:56 - Apr 10 with 2318 viewsozexile

Very sad day. I feel like I've lost a friend even though I never met him. A little piece of cricket died today.
Richie Benaud on 05:25 - Apr 10 with 2313 views18StoneOfHoop

Richie Benaud on 04:56 - Apr 10 by ozexile

Very sad day. I feel like I've lost a friend even though I never met him. A little piece of cricket died today.

Born 6th October 1930,died at a hospice near his Sydney home in his sleep aged 84,10th April 2015

IMHO The Greatest Sports Commentator of All Time.

Knew the key importance of silence and...........................timing.

Less is more.

When BBC had the cricket - ah those far-off 1970's halcyon days of softly-spoken gents such as Jim Laker,Ted Dexter,Tom Graveney,Peter West et al - and I felt some connection to the game,enjoying the luxury of every English home test being available before the ECB sold the game's soul to Murdoch and turned the game into a minority sport, this man was my eloquent illuminating dryly witty guide and friend and mainstay.

It has been said that Ian Botham is well-liked Down Under 'cos he's just like an Aussie in approach and spirit. I'd suggest Richie is LOVED in England because he is the most English of Australians, with his phlegmatic unflappable temperament and sense of even-handed fair play.
To paraphrase him; "Good night Richie,goodnight everybody."

Richie with the articulate eloquent informed righteous anger:

[Post edited 10 Apr 2015 6:11]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Richie Benaud on 06:53 - Apr 10 with 2259 viewsbosh67

RIP. 84... 16 short of his century.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Richie Benaud on 07:35 - Apr 10 with 2227 viewsCHUBBS

What a terrible depressing loss of a truly wonderful unselfish man.
Listening to him was one of the main reasons I began following cricket in the eighties.
It's not often the death of someone I never met can make me so sad but Richie was just something very special.
They broke the mold when he was born.
May the great man RIP
Richie Benaud on 08:09 - Apr 10 with 2209 viewsCamberleyR

Cannot add much to what everybody has said. He was the the voice of my summer school holidays. As he might have said, "84, not a bad effort that". RIP Richie.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2015 9:52]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024