Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Faces 17:51 - Sep 6 with 7129 viewsBlackCrowe

saw their re-union gig yesterday at Hurtwood Park. god it was good...

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The Faces on 22:48 - Sep 6 with 5094 viewsWilloW4

Lucky you black Crowe.. My mate went, said it was great.
The Faces on 08:33 - Sep 7 with 4974 viewsDiscodroids

Sounds good, Got my old man a signed copy of Ronnie Lane And Slim Chance Single for his birthday. Srevie marriot was born two roads away from me old man and dad played his harmonica in his front room as kids.

brought up on the small faces. Bet the gig was a belter.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

The Faces on 08:42 - Sep 7 with 4948 viewsWilloW4

The Faces on 08:33 - Sep 7 by Discodroids

Sounds good, Got my old man a signed copy of Ronnie Lane And Slim Chance Single for his birthday. Srevie marriot was born two roads away from me old man and dad played his harmonica in his front room as kids.

brought up on the small faces. Bet the gig was a belter.

Ronnie lanes slim chance ..top band. Nice story about your old man disco.
The Faces on 08:55 - Sep 7 with 4933 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Looks like great fun.

I prefer the Small Faces though.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The Faces on 09:09 - Sep 7 with 4910 viewsDiscodroids

The Faces on 08:42 - Sep 7 by WilloW4

Ronnie lanes slim chance ..top band. Nice story about your old man disco.

cheers mate , my old man, east ham dave is a bit of a legend..

his memebership number is 00000000000002 at the east ham working mens club.

he had a affair with stephanie desyks.

He sold french blues to dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch in 1964 which resulted in titch falling off the stage at the east ham granada

He had a drink with jesus christ otherwise known as robert powell in a hotel bar.

he once punched long john baldry " a flash cnt" in the nose in forest gate pub in 1963.

he played harmonica with" 7 " skiffle bands in upton park. (skiffle must have been big in upton park in the early-mid sixties)

every song he plays on said harmonica sounds like the old grey whistle test theme tune.

he smoked weed with otis reading , again at the east ham granada, back stage in 1966.Otis Fancied a tumble with me mum, but dad as having none of it, " if it had been bobby womack, fair enough.."

he went to live in a cave in cornwall for 3 months when my mum left him breifly in the long hot summer of 1976.

reckons george melly fell in love with him and wanted to" turn" him

when my mum finally left him in 1978, he got steaming and got on stage with georgie fame and 'done the dog' , before falling off the stage, at yes, the east ham granada.

plays' green onions 'every morning with his black coffee and fag.

after a marathon drinking session and spunking all the housekeeping he returned home to my somewhat apocolytic step mother , with the excuse that , "I turned the corner on green street and got knocked out by a freak gust of wind , that carried me 20 yards down the road and knocked me out. for at least 8 hours...some c unt must have lifted me f ucking wallet when i was unconsious "..

Such was his performance he came to believe this story himself , despite stinking of vodka, bicardi,gin and 180 'kim' ciggarettes.
still maintains this crock of shit story to this day.

insists he is the 2nd cousin of ry cooder and tom waites despite zero evidence to back theses questionable facts up.

this is just a microscopic (and legal)sample of the legend that is east ham dave, which even at the age of 70, shows no sign of stopping to this very day.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

The Faces on 09:30 - Sep 7 with 4875 viewsWilloW4

The Faces on 09:09 - Sep 7 by Discodroids

He sold french blues to dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch in 1964 which resulted in titch falling off the stage at the east ham granada

He had a drink with jesus christ otherwise known as robert powell in a hotel bar.

he once punched long john baldry " a flash cnt" in the nose in forest gate pub in 1963.

he played harmonica with" 7 " skiffle bands in upton park. (skiffle must have been big in upton park in the early-mid sixties)

every song he plays on said harmonica sounds like the old grey whistle test theme tune.

he smoked weed with otis reading , again at the east ham granada, back stage in 1966.Otis Fancied a tumble with me mum, but dad as having none of it, " if it had been bobby womack, fair enough.."

he went to live in a cave in cornwall for 3 months when my mum left him breifly in the long hot summer of 1976.

when my mum finally left him in 1978, he got steaming and got on stage with georgie fame and 'done the dog' , before falling off the stage, at yes, the east ham granada.

after a marathon drinking session and spunking all the housekeeping he returned home to my somewhat apocolytic step mother , with the excuse that , "I turned the corner on green street and got knocked out by a freak gust of wind , that carried me 20 yards down the road and knocked me out. for at least 8 hours...some c unt must have lifted me f ucking wallet when i was unconsious "..

Such was his performance he came to believe this story himself , despite stinking of vodka, bicardi,gin and 180 'kim' ciggarettes.

insists he is the 2nd cousin of ry cooder and tom waites despite zero evidence to back theses questionable facts up.

this is just a microscopic (and legal)sample of the legend that is east ham dave, which even at the age of 70, shows no sign of stopping to this very day.

Outstanding post disco...you're wasted in the probation service mate.. As for East Ham Dave, I salute him.!!
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:00 - Sep 7 with 4841 viewsBlackCrowe

The Faces on 22:48 - Sep 6 by WilloW4

Lucky you black Crowe.. My mate went, said it was great.

The Faces on 10:15 - Sep 7 with 4825 viewsDiscodroids

The Faces on 09:30 - Sep 7 by WilloW4

Outstanding post disco...you're wasted in the probation service mate.. As for East Ham Dave, I salute him.!!

cheers mate, i think the probation service thinsk im wasted here as well, judging by my yearly appraisal!!

Login to get fewer ads

The Faces on 10:33 - Sep 7 with 4802 viewsElHoop

Jones owns that Hurtwood Park place.

I went to a wedding reception there years ago now - the bloke who got married is dead now in fact. Wedding cost an absolute bloody fortune. Darts were the band for the night. Jones was there behind me watching the fireworks - didn't know he was there until this voice says 'that wasn't much for 5 grand was it?'
The Faces on 10:39 - Sep 7 with 4796 viewscarlh5266

There is a school of thought that cover versions that sound same as the original are pointless.

Still love this though.

Ronnie Lane : Kings of the Mods!
The Faces on 17:41 - Sep 7 with 4654 viewsCFW

The Faces on 09:09 - Sep 7 by Discodroids

Hi Disco

Your Dad sounds like he has had a great life - good luck to him.

Although this is nothing to do with the Faces (although I am green with envy at the OP) went to see a Beatles tribute band in Hornchurch last night - they were very good and makes you understand just how good they were, ground breaking. Anyway on our way we stopped and had a Sunday Lunch at the Shepherd & Dog in Harold Wood. Having lived close I am sure you will know the place. Have to say it was the best Sunday Pub dinner I have ever had - if you are in that neck of the woods again visiting Brentwood well worth a stop.
The Faces on 17:55 - Sep 7 with 4641 viewsDiscodroids

The Faces on 17:41 - Sep 7 by CFW

Hi Disco

Your Dad sounds like he has had a great life - good luck to him.

Although this is nothing to do with the Faces (although I am green with envy at the OP) went to see a Beatles tribute band in Hornchurch last night - they were very good and makes you understand just how good they were, ground breaking. Anyway on our way we stopped and had a Sunday Lunch at the Shepherd & Dog in Harold Wood. Having lived close I am sure you will know the place. Have to say it was the best Sunday Pub dinner I have ever had - if you are in that neck of the woods again visiting Brentwood well worth a stop.

sounds cracking mate, what pub was it in hornchurch ?, sounds a good night, i would have been well up for that! Last went to the shepherd and dog 5 years ago at least. just had a look at the website, had a make over food looks excellent . I'll give it a try for certain mate.

thanks for the tip

The Faces on 19:09 - Sep 7 with 4589 viewsCFW

The Faces on 17:55 - Sep 7 by Discodroids

sounds cracking mate, what pub was it in hornchurch ?, sounds a good night, i would have been well up for that! Last went to the shepherd and dog 5 years ago at least. just had a look at the website, had a make over food looks excellent . I'll give it a try for certain mate.

thanks for the tip

Was actually at the Queens Theatre - The Cavern Beatles - not as good as the Bootleg Beatles but still good. 2.5 hours of non stop music all for £20 bloody bargain!!
The Faces on 20:09 - Sep 7 with 4529 viewsthemodfather

good that "rod the mod" made the effort,
i'm sure the dvd/cd will be out soon.
The Faces on 20:27 - Sep 7 with 4506 viewsBlackCrowe

The Faces on 20:09 - Sep 7 by themodfather

good that "rod the mod" made the effort,
i'm sure the dvd/cd will be out soon.

Rod seemed re-born mate. Possible realisation that this is where his soul and talent really lies and not all the dirge from Atlantic Crossing onwards. He and they were brilliant in a slightly shambolic way.

The Faces on 21:49 - Sep 7 with 4449 viewsWilloW4

The Faces on 10:39 - Sep 7 by carlh5266

There is a school of thought that cover versions that sound same as the original are pointless.

Still love this though.

Ronnie Lane : Kings of the Mods!

Could argue the toss about the whole of the faces and the who about being mods...they flirted with it , but none of em really embraced it... Ronnie lane was a cheeky chappie rocker, loved fats domino et al..there's a great book on the faces... 'Before during and after...had me a real good time'.. By Andy neil... Hugely recommend it to those who dig 60/70's London bands/culture.
The Faces on 10:16 - Sep 8 with 4339 viewsMonahoop

The Faces on 21:49 - Sep 7 by WilloW4

Could argue the toss about the whole of the faces and the who about being mods...they flirted with it , but none of em really embraced it... Ronnie lane was a cheeky chappie rocker, loved fats domino et al..there's a great book on the faces... 'Before during and after...had me a real good time'.. By Andy neil... Hugely recommend it to those who dig 60/70's London bands/culture.

You're right there Willow. Sounds like a good book. Must seek it out sometime. Those musicians you mentioned from the 60's, most of them got their influences from listening to blues, R n B, jazz, R n R or skiffle from the 50's. Pete Townsend was a huge Mose Allison fan and some of the Who's early works bears influences from that great jazz pianists stuff.
Good to see Rod and the surviving boys back together.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

The Faces on 10:37 - Sep 8 with 4317 viewsElHoop

So presumably Stewart has run out of ideas for anything he can do on his good old own?

The guy is a grade 1 prick if you ask me.

Didn't the Faces recently reform with Hucknall as singer because Stewart was too greedy a bar steward to do it on more or less equal terms?

Didn't they split in the first place because Stewart was ripping them off with his solo stuff and in the end wood got the hump and quit - eventually to join the Stones who have looked after him properly?

Ok maybe it's just a one-off for charity and old times sake, but I'd have told him to shove it up his arse otherwise.
The Faces on 10:54 - Sep 8 with 4299 viewsfrancisbowles

The Faces on 10:37 - Sep 8 by ElHoop

So presumably Stewart has run out of ideas for anything he can do on his good old own?

Didn't the Faces recently reform with Hucknall as singer because Stewart was too greedy a bar steward to do it on more or less equal terms?

Didn't they split in the first place because Stewart was ripping them off with his solo stuff and in the end wood got the hump and quit - eventually to join the Stones who have looked after him properly?

Ok maybe it's just a one-off for charity and old times sake, but I'd have told him to shove it up his arse otherwise.

Lighten up a little! It's only a bit of fun.
The Faces on 10:59 - Sep 8 with 4291 viewsElHoop

The Faces on 10:54 - Sep 8 by francisbowles

Lighten up a little! It's only a bit of fun.

I know that but Stewart is pretty annoying. He even sank as low as doing those stupid old songs which is what a lot of singers do when they reach the end of the road. Should have gone back to the Faces and have said sorry before doing that in my view.

I was thinking - if you were constructing a band made up of complete arseholes, who would you pick?

I'd have Stewart up front for sure and Phil Collins on drums coz I just don't like Phil Collins. Guitarists would be Ted Nugent and Axl Rose as they are by all accounts grade 1 arseholes, but I'm struggling for a bass player.
The Faces on 11:57 - Sep 8 with 4257 viewsCamberleyR

The Faces on 10:37 - Sep 8 by ElHoop

Agree with most of that. Rod Stewart lost interest in the Faces late '72ish as his solo career really started taking off (probably after You Wear It Well became his second number 1) He was missing for large parts of the recording of the Ooh La La album co-contributing only four of ten songs none of them memorable.

Maybe significant that one of the songs on that album "Fly In The Ointment", an instrumental, was co-written by the other four as possibly a veiled reference to their often absent lead singer. Stewart's attitude to the band then was one of the factors of Ronnie Lane quitting after Ooh La La in 1973. For instance he refused to sing the title track claiming it was in the wrong key hence Ronnie Wood singing it. He was quick enough to use them as his backing band when it suited him for his solo stuff and by the end in 1975 that's pretty much all they were.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2015 12:04]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The Faces on 16:57 - Sep 8 with 4184 viewsBlackCrowe

The Faces on 10:59 - Sep 8 by ElHoop

I know that but Stewart is pretty annoying. He even sank as low as doing those stupid old songs which is what a lot of singers do when they reach the end of the road. Should have gone back to the Faces and have said sorry before doing that in my view.

I was thinking - if you were constructing a band made up of complete arseholes, who would you pick?

I'd have Stewart up front for sure and Phil Collins on drums coz I just don't like Phil Collins. Guitarists would be Ted Nugent and Axl Rose as they are by all accounts grade 1 arseholes, but I'm struggling for a bass player.

Phil Collins would have stiff competition from Ginger Baker in my opinion. Stick Bill Wyman or Sting on bass.

The Faces on 17:06 - Sep 8 with 4178 viewsWilloW4

The Faces on 16:57 - Sep 8 by BlackCrowe

Phil Collins would have stiff competition from Ginger Baker in my opinion. Stick Bill Wyman or Sting on bass.

Never Phil Collins mate, he's a turncoat QPR/spurs fan ... As for sting.. WHAT? Gotta be Gerry mcavoy for me..(having said that, not sure he's still alive, hope so.)
The Faces on 17:52 - Sep 8 with 4156 viewsElHoop

The Faces on 17:06 - Sep 8 by WilloW4

Never Phil Collins mate, he's a turncoat QPR/spurs fan ... As for sting.. WHAT? Gotta be Gerry mcavoy for me..(having said that, not sure he's still alive, hope so.)

Yeah Sting is a half decent call but he'd still be a bloody good bloke by comparison to the rest of them I reckon. Dunno anything about McAvoy.

Don Arden for manager though.
The Faces on 20:15 - Sep 8 with 4125 viewsBlackCrowe

The Faces on 17:06 - Sep 8 by WilloW4

Sting is a self-righteous tw*t in the Bono mould. Obviously very talented for sure, but a complete and utter. So he makes the band for me. Or Bill Wyman. But probably Sting.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024