Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Smith as a sub 17:03 - Jan 12 with 2976 viewsLondon_Pride

That's the 19th time this season that Shteve has brought on Matt Smith as a sub. No goals and I can't remember any assists.
He does give us some extra defensive cover at corners but other than that - as a Plan B it is just not working. Against a tiring defence, I would much rather see an injection of pace and strength from Oteh.
Matt Smith as a sub on 17:23 - Jan 12 with 2860 viewsGuppy22

I totally agree, against Villa we lost any threat we had when he came on. I think Oteh deserves a chance over him.
Matt Smith as a sub on 17:47 - Jan 12 with 2783 viewsVancouverHoop

When we're protecting a lead he's fine. Good on defence and a handful on corners, but when we're chasing the game, nope. We need someone with speed on the break and who can use space productively.
Matt Smith as a sub on 17:52 - Jan 12 with 2760 viewsbosh67

I disagree. You bring on a player like this and you get him running onto crosses in the box from two wide players. Not having the ball lumped up to him to try and nod on. Not going to be too critical, but it's not the player, it's the strategy when he comes on. Usually too near the end to effect anything.

Much as it appears Steve is better than Ollie, and although both seem to hate out and out wingers, Ollie made Smith effective because he stood him in the box and put balls onto him. He used to score vital goals late on with a better strategy.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Matt Smith as a sub on 17:53 - Jan 12 with 2757 viewsWatford_Ranger

Was crying out for Manning and Oteh IMO. None of the subs did anything at all to impact the game.
Matt Smith as a sub on 18:04 - Jan 12 with 2704 viewsBoston

Matt Smith as a sub on 17:53 - Jan 12 by Watford_Ranger

Was crying out for Manning and Oteh IMO. None of the subs did anything at all to impact the game.

Yeah, but it was a no impact sorta game.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Matt Smith as a sub on 18:08 - Jan 12 with 2680 viewsWatford_Ranger

Matt Smith as a sub on 18:04 - Jan 12 by Boston

Yeah, but it was a no impact sorta game.

I’ll accept one Portsmouth ticket as compensation...
Matt Smith as a sub on 18:22 - Jan 12 with 2619 viewsParkRoyalR

Joel Lynch was pushed forward in injury time and showed him how to do it - find space - follow flight flight of ball and accurately anticipate where it's going - jump early (less chance of being fouled or held) and head the ball powerfully downwards to a teammate!! Instead of ambling around, misjudging the flight of the ball, forgetting to jump and letting it bounce off the top of your bonce in a random direction!
Matt Smith as a sub on 18:46 - Jan 12 with 2557 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I thought that it didn't work today.

Fine, if we're defending a lead, as said above.
Fine, if we have plenty possession and wingers that will get the ball in for Smith to attack.
But today, we needed an out ball to turn the game. I thought that Oteh had more chance of getting on the end of our clearances and providing that link that would set up possession and, hopefully, chances.

I'm sure there was thinking behind it - for instance, we had plenty of possession it's just that we kept coughing it up. Hard to predict so many trips, slips, and nearly-on passes not quite coming off. Had we been as efficient as usual - the thinking might have been, we might have then got further up the pitch and got crosses in for Smith.

But I would have thought that Oteh was the percentage call. Not that I'd doubt McClaren at the moment. The lad's on fire.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Matt Smith as a sub on 21:24 - Jan 12 with 2305 viewssmegma

Surprised he played seeing as had his face rearranged on Monday for the 23s
Matt Smith as a sub on 22:11 - Jan 12 with 2237 viewsqprd

Matt Smith as a sub on 17:47 - Jan 12 by VancouverHoop

When we're protecting a lead he's fine. Good on defence and a handful on corners, but when we're chasing the game, nope. We need someone with speed on the break and who can use space productively.

I know a lot of people say this, but I don’t even agree to this much

If you’re playinf a pulis team facing an all out aerial assault, fine, fair enough

But the average team doesn’t play like that. And you’re better off having a striker who can pressure centrebacks on the ball (unlike smith who can’t at all).

And as Brian said, oteh provides an out ball, which is useful in a counterattack situation

Matt Smith rly should not be playing
Matt Smith as a sub on 23:18 - Jan 12 with 2134 viewsdaveB

Most of his sub appearances have been for about 5 mins at the end of games, He's still a very good target man and a good plan B
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024