Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
greedy footballers 11:30 - Jul 16 with 2191 viewsbob566

i hate them. Ibrihimovich has turned down 178000K per week to play for PSG over four years because he wants 298K per week over three years. The football world needs to work together to put an end to this madness.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/ibrahimovic-move-stalled-over-pay-559308

greedy footballers on 11:37 - Jul 16 with 1822 viewsderbyhoop

The trouble is that any club making a stand gets trumped by those with more money than sense.
How much has Abramovich spent since taking over?
Al Fayed has spent about £200m to get Fulham to 9th (and a Europa League final). WTF.
Man City's spending could explain why we are now paying £1.30 per litre for petrol.
And we're hardly in a position to complain too loudly.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

greedy footballers on 11:44 - Jul 16 with 1788 viewsdaveB

only way to stop it is don't accept the wage demands, say the magic word no.
greedy footballers on 11:51 - Jul 16 with 1756 viewsQPunkR

Quite right. But then look at Arsenal fans. A growing number of them are growing discontented with the way their club's run. It's a difficult one, but really FIFA need to step in and introduce a global wage cap, otherwise these ridiculous wages will continue rising as more and more oligarchs buy up clubs as playthings.

QPR - "shit but local"

greedy footballers on 11:54 - Jul 16 with 1750 viewsKonk

greedy footballers on 11:37 - Jul 16 by derbyhoop

The trouble is that any club making a stand gets trumped by those with more money than sense.
How much has Abramovich spent since taking over?
Al Fayed has spent about £200m to get Fulham to 9th (and a Europa League final). WTF.
Man City's spending could explain why we are now paying £1.30 per litre for petrol.
And we're hardly in a position to complain too loudly.

Most of that £200m went on the Michael Jackson statue and Steve fu cking Marlet.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

greedy footballers on 11:55 - Jul 16 with 1741 viewskingsburyR

A good idea in principle but would never work.

Salary caps would be introduced but clubs would find other ways to reward these already over paid stars!

Its the world we live in im afraid!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

greedy footballers on 12:16 - Jul 16 with 1676 viewsKonk

greedy footballers on 11:55 - Jul 16 by kingsburyR

A good idea in principle but would never work.

Salary caps would be introduced but clubs would find other ways to reward these already over paid stars!

Its the world we live in im afraid!

A salary cap would be in the best interests of every club in the World, and everyone bar players and agents would benefit, but it's entirely unworkable from the perspective of European labour laws and kno bhead owners who'd find a way of enticing players with some sort of Swiss bank a/c type payments etc, just as they found ways round the Maximum wage before Jimmy Hill did his thing.

greedy footballers on 12:23 - Jul 16 with 1648 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Maybe we could put a cheeky bid in.

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

greedy footballers on 12:35 - Jul 16 with 1604 viewsisawqpratwcity

greedy footballers on 12:16 - Jul 16 by Konk

A salary cap would be in the best interests of every club in the World, and everyone bar players and agents would benefit, but it's entirely unworkable from the perspective of European labour laws and kno bhead owners who'd find a way of enticing players with some sort of Swiss bank a/c type payments etc, just as they found ways round the Maximum wage before Jimmy Hill did his thing.

Does a salary cap contravene European labour laws?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

greedy footballers on 12:37 - Jul 16 with 1589 viewsTacticalR

greedy footballers on 11:54 - Jul 16 by Konk

Most of that £200m went on the Michael Jackson statue and Steve fu cking Marlet.

But that statue was good value for money.

Air hostess clique

greedy footballers on 12:38 - Jul 16 with 1582 viewsKonk

greedy footballers on 12:35 - Jul 16 by isawqpratwcity

I'm pretty sure that it would take a lawyer about three minutes to argue successfully that there shouldn't be constraints on an individual's earning capacity.

Having said that, I'm not a lawyer and I know fu ck-all about European employment law, so there's a reasonable chance I'm talking out of my ar se.

greedy footballers on 12:38 - Jul 16 with 1581 viewsKrakow

greedy footballers on 12:35 - Jul 16 by isawqpratwcity

I think you can get around it by putting the cap at the club level and not individual player level. e.g. if PSG had a cap of £200,000 per week, then it's their choice if they want to pay £199,000 for one player and £1,000 for the remaining 24 players.
greedy footballers on 12:41 - Jul 16 with 1571 viewsKonk

greedy footballers on 12:38 - Jul 16 by Krakow

I think you can get around it by putting the cap at the club level and not individual player level. e.g. if PSG had a cap of £200,000 per week, then it's their choice if they want to pay £199,000 for one player and £1,000 for the remaining 24 players.

Good point. This is why I'm not a lawyer.

greedy footballers on 12:43 - Jul 16 with 1565 viewsKonk

greedy footballers on 12:37 - Jul 16 by TacticalR

But that statue was good value for money.

I'd say it's probably the best waxwork model of a controversial, deceased pop star that you're likely to find in any football ground in the world.

greedy footballers on 12:54 - Jul 16 with 1529 viewsisawqpratwcity

greedy footballers on 12:38 - Jul 16 by Krakow

I wondered about that, too. Would a 200k salary cap be illegal for meaning that the most any single player can get is 200k?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

greedy footballers on 12:57 - Jul 16 with 1520 viewsKonk

greedy footballers on 12:54 - Jul 16 by isawqpratwcity

I wondered about that, too. Would a 200k salary cap be illegal for meaning that the most any single player can get is 200k?

Yeah. Good point. I knew I should have gone into law.

greedy footballers on 13:05 - Jul 16 with 1497 viewsMatch82

greedy footballers on 12:38 - Jul 16 by Konk

I'm pretty sure that it would take a lawyer about three minutes to argue successfully that there shouldn't be constraints on an individual's earning capacity.

Having said that, I'm not a lawyer and I know fu ck-all about European employment law, so there's a reasonable chance I'm talking out of my ar se.

Salary cap is a great idea for American sports because no other b*gger plays them.
Labour laws aside, I imagine it would be difficult to implement globally, because of currency fluctuations.
greedy footballers on 13:11 - Jul 16 with 1463 viewsTacticalR

greedy footballers on 12:43 - Jul 16 by Konk

I'd say it's probably the best waxwork model of a controversial, deceased pop star that you're likely to find in any football ground in the world.

Can't argue with that...Al Fayed has really cornered the market there.

What did you think of the Al Fayed's cat execution story?
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/fb_mb.php?m=v&t=59054

Our owners are much too urbane to do such a thing. Although...anyone seen Jude recently?

Air hostess clique

greedy footballers on 13:18 - Jul 16 with 1438 viewsKonk

greedy footballers on 13:11 - Jul 16 by TacticalR

Can't argue with that...Al Fayed has really cornered the market there.

What did you think of the Al Fayed's cat execution story?
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/fb_mb.php?m=v&t=59054

Our owners are much too urbane to do such a thing. Although...anyone seen Jude recently?

That's brilliant. I hadn't seen that - Al Fayed is an absolute nutter. In no way do I condone the shooting of cats, but that did make me chuckle. Hardcore.

greedy footballers on 13:04 - Apr 16 with 1158 viewsstevec

Sounds like a wage cap for Championship could be voted in at this summers AGM.

Had enough of seeing players taking all the income from football clubs, most sensible thing they’ve ever done if it gets carried.

Could get rid of FFP for a start. Depending on your club owners, means the likes of Wigan can compete with likes of WBA.

Sanity at last.
greedy footballers on 14:06 - Apr 16 with 1034 viewsderbyhoop

Hoos quoted in the Standard saying a complete re-think required.
Of the 16 clubs in the Championship, last season, who didn't get parachute payments, 13 were spending more on player wages than they were bringing in. That isn't sustainable.

A salary cap, say 70% of turnover on wages, is needed. But it has to be agreed across the board.
The trouble is the disparity between the Championship and the PL.
Meanwhile as many as 12 L1/L2 clubs could go bankrupt by end of June.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

greedy footballers on 14:28 - Apr 16 with 983 viewsstowmarketrange

greedy footballers on 14:06 - Apr 16 by derbyhoop

Hoos quoted in the Standard saying a complete re-think required.
Of the 16 clubs in the Championship, last season, who didn't get parachute payments, 13 were spending more on player wages than they were bringing in. That isn't sustainable.

A salary cap, say 70% of turnover on wages, is needed. But it has to be agreed across the board.
The trouble is the disparity between the Championship and the PL.
Meanwhile as many as 12 L1/L2 clubs could go bankrupt by end of June.

How would that work with parachute payments?The clubs getting them would be at an even bigger advantage wouldn’t they?Or they could get their sponsors to pay the wages instead like derby do with rooneys.
The premier league wouldn’t do it on its own or it could become the poorest league in Europe if the top players stopped coming here.
Maybe the answer lies with the fans like me who pay for the sports channels.If we all boycott it for a season or two,but overseas broadcasters pay more for the tv rights than we do anyway,so I don’t know what the answer is.
greedy footballers on 14:32 - Apr 16 with 979 viewsMedwayR

Football has dug its own grave.

Huge amounts of money have poured into the game, an opportunity to build infrastructure and cement clubs' futures and wellbeing long into the future as well as have a reserve for a rainy day.

Instead, even bigger amounts of money have poured out of the game in a desperate attempt to chase short-term on-pitch success and vanity projects.

It's not sustainable, never has been, and controls should have been considered and incorporated as part of the TV deals when the Premier League was formed.

It kind of replicates modern life too, huge disparities of wealth and accumulation of wealth whilst not enough is done to control/encourage the distribution of wealth.

Poll: Who’s better?

greedy footballers on 15:23 - Apr 16 with 888 viewsstevec

greedy footballers on 14:28 - Apr 16 by stowmarketrange

How would that work with parachute payments?The clubs getting them would be at an even bigger advantage wouldn’t they?Or they could get their sponsors to pay the wages instead like derby do with rooneys.
The premier league wouldn’t do it on its own or it could become the poorest league in Europe if the top players stopped coming here.
Maybe the answer lies with the fans like me who pay for the sports channels.If we all boycott it for a season or two,but overseas broadcasters pay more for the tv rights than we do anyway,so I don’t know what the answer is.

Get the impression they’re talking about a specific amount rather than a percentage. A percentage would give the smaller clubs no chance of competing, whereas a sum say £20m leaves scope for owners to top up ie cover the club losses if they want to give their club a greater chance to compete.

Relegated clubs from PL a potential problem but maybe give them a one season amnesty, they’ll be clearing their decks most likely anyway.

Would put a stop to Rooney scenarios if the cap is an overall sum and there must be a lot of supporters who’ve never witnessed LR in anything other than its present form, quite sad really as part of the pleasure in our rise since mid 60’s was seeing the transformation of the ground built largely on the clubs success over the next 20 odd years.
greedy footballers on 17:22 - Apr 16 with 799 viewsderbyhoop

greedy footballers on 14:28 - Apr 16 by stowmarketrange

The % of turnover would include the parachute payments. Would it really make that much difference as, under current situation, they have far more money than the clubs who don't have the payments.
Relegated teams don't always bounce straight back and they still have to get their books in balance, over time, usually by unloading the highest paid as quickly as possible.
The real issue is that there is no way the PL would accept any cap.

The fact is that teams below the PL are far more reliant on gate income and if you carry on paying more than you get in you're reliant on a benefactor (Tony/Ruben) or you do a Bury.

greedy footballers on 00:37 - Apr 17 with 630 viewsBoston

greedy footballers on 13:05 - Jul 16 by Match82

Salary cap is a great idea for American sports because no other b*gger plays them.
Labour laws aside, I imagine it would be difficult to implement globally, because of currency fluctuations.

We of course, have Canadian teams in two of the leagues that impose salary caps(none in the NFL and no cap in MLB).
Our northern neighbours are included in the caps, I believe the figure is set during the close season and that's what they operate on until the following year but...the loonie(stop the tittering), can fluctuate wildly compared to the USD, so smaller Canadian clubs really feel the squeeze on occasions. (if you don't know yer hockey - the three mega money clubs are NY Rangers, Montreal and Toronto, league would be in difficulty without them to be honest).
I'm a supporter of salary caps.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 0:38]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024