Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car parking fine help or advice please 12:38 - May 12 with 2128 viewsRangersDave

Hi guys,

My other half just a reply to her letter replying to a car parking fine in Wigan.
She parked in a pay and display car park, and got a ticket.

Unfortunately, and she didnt know this at the time, she put all the right digits in the machine for the registration, but accidentally mixed up the registration transposing the first 2 with the last 2.

She got a notice of fine, and as she's slightly dislexic anyway, complained that she had a legitimate ticket. Sensible lady took a photo of the ticket which gives time and date, and ticket number. (we always do this now whenever we use a pay and display system)

Anyway, they have thrown out the appeal saying that their 'system' does not have the ticket number and registration (thats printed on the ticket) combo on file, and as such she was parked illegally.

Any thoughts please?

Cheers
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Car parking fine help or advice please on 14:17 - May 12 with 2055 viewsEastR

Straight to the ombudsman with that one

You paid, they haven't suffered any loss, will be thrown straight out.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Car parking fine help or advice please on 14:35 - May 12 with 2032 viewsthame_hoops

good luck, a council would probably accept her mistake and not fine you once you appealed but these private companies are so unscrupulous they wouldnt cancel it no matter what reason you give.

don't ignore it, gone are the days that these 'fines' were seen as 'unenforceable invoices from a ltd company'

ombudsmen is the way to go. good luck
Car parking fine help or advice please on 14:50 - May 12 with 2014 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A little Dyslexic you say.

Well if so, how much so? I don’t know for sure, but I’d be very surprised if dyslexia wasn’t considered a condition recognised as constituting a disability under UK law. However, it would need to cause her a ‘substantial’ effect in her daily life, but it might be worth mentioning in any event.

It’s been a while, but I seem to recall that UK public authorities are required to consider and remove barriers posed to people with disabilities. The point being, if it was a mistake for which her disability contributed to, then I’d raise it and request they factor it into their consideration.

You might want to speak to a dyslexia charity as they might also have some juicy legal precedents for you.

Good luck!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Car parking fine help or advice please on 15:51 - May 12 with 1969 viewsRangersDave

cheers guys,

Ive been doing some digging and the BPA has terms and conditions that their members have to abide by, and that includes a mixed up number plate that has the correct letters and numbers but in the right order.

As europarks are members my appeal to Popla will be going in today
Best
Dave

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Car parking fine help or advice please on 18:42 - May 12 with 1855 viewsM40R

The rules are very different for public and private car parks. As you are the latter this site has all the advice:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/parking-tickets-fines-parking

Also the latest POPLA annual report has keying error guidance to BPA members.

Good luck
Car parking fine help or advice please on 19:00 - May 12 with 1834 viewsThe_Beast1976

Car parking fine help or advice please on 14:35 - May 12 by thame_hoops

good luck, a council would probably accept her mistake and not fine you once you appealed but these private companies are so unscrupulous they wouldnt cancel it no matter what reason you give.

don't ignore it, gone are the days that these 'fines' were seen as 'unenforceable invoices from a ltd company'

ombudsmen is the way to go. good luck

"don't ignore it, gone are the days that these 'fines' were seen as 'unenforceable invoices from a ltd company'"

I understand why you say that, but it's not strictly true. The Supreme Court judgement in Beavis v Parking Eye was reached on very specific facts and is actually of very limited use to the private companies (despite that they like to assert otherwise).

I still ignore any tickets from private companies on the basis that if they take me to court then I will challenge the 'fine' as a penalty and thus unenforceable. If they attempted to rely on the judgement in Beavis then I can easily argue why it should be distinguished from my circumstances and thus does not apply. The fact is that they know this anyway and so wouldn't take it to court, hence why I never hear from any of them

Edit - just seen that this has been resolved by way of reference to BPA anyway. Happy days
[Post edited 12 May 2020 19:09]
Car parking fine help or advice please on 19:14 - May 12 with 1810 viewsthame_hoops

Car parking fine help or advice please on 19:00 - May 12 by The_Beast1976

"don't ignore it, gone are the days that these 'fines' were seen as 'unenforceable invoices from a ltd company'"

I understand why you say that, but it's not strictly true. The Supreme Court judgement in Beavis v Parking Eye was reached on very specific facts and is actually of very limited use to the private companies (despite that they like to assert otherwise).

I still ignore any tickets from private companies on the basis that if they take me to court then I will challenge the 'fine' as a penalty and thus unenforceable. If they attempted to rely on the judgement in Beavis then I can easily argue why it should be distinguished from my circumstances and thus does not apply. The fact is that they know this anyway and so wouldn't take it to court, hence why I never hear from any of them

Edit - just seen that this has been resolved by way of reference to BPA anyway. Happy days
[Post edited 12 May 2020 19:09]

It’s a lot of stress though, depends how unjust it is I suppose. A fallen ticket/wrong licence plate shouldn’t see you done wrong in court I’d imagine
Car parking fine help or advice please on 19:24 - May 12 with 1796 viewsThe_Beast1976

Car parking fine help or advice please on 19:14 - May 12 by thame_hoops

It’s a lot of stress though, depends how unjust it is I suppose. A fallen ticket/wrong licence plate shouldn’t see you done wrong in court I’d imagine

One would hope not.

Anyway, hopefully the coronavirus 'lockdown' has sent some of these unscrupulous private parking companies to the wall
[Post edited 12 May 2020 19:25]
Login to get fewer ads

Car parking fine help or advice please on 19:30 - May 12 with 1783 viewsizlingtonhoop

"unfortunately, and she didn't know this at the time, she put all the right digits in the machine for the registration, but accidentally mixed up the registration"

As Eric once said to Andrew Preview...
Car parking fine help or advice please on 20:38 - May 12 with 1725 viewsLythamR

Car parking fine help or advice please on 19:24 - May 12 by The_Beast1976

One would hope not.

Anyway, hopefully the coronavirus 'lockdown' has sent some of these unscrupulous private parking companies to the wall
[Post edited 12 May 2020 19:25]

You can bet your bottom Dollar that unscrupulous companies such as parking cowboys will have been the first with their snouts in the trough for the small business loans, will then fold the companies down the line after snaffling the cash and pop up again under new company names.
Car parking fine help or advice please on 20:50 - May 12 with 1706 viewsenfieldargh

I have to go to my local hospital for blood tests next week.

They have told me parking is now free and the dreaded input your car reg machines have been hooded up

Fightbackforums have tons of cases for parking and solutions if you can troll through the thousands of posts on there

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Car parking fine help or advice please on 12:48 - May 20 with 1418 viewsRangersDave

Quick update guys....

I received an e-mail from POPLA today, saying that they have contacted 'Europarks' and have been told that they are not going to further their proposed prosecution of the parking charge fine.

So POPLA have closed the book on the case and things are at an end.

Goes to show 2 things......

1) advice from your mates is always invaluable (cheers guys) and
2) never ever let the barstewards get to you.

urrrrrsssss

Car parking fine help or advice please on 18:12 - May 20 with 1285 viewsqpr_1968

Car parking fine help or advice please on 12:48 - May 20 by RangersDave

Quick update guys....

I received an e-mail from POPLA today, saying that they have contacted 'Europarks' and have been told that they are not going to further their proposed prosecution of the parking charge fine.

So POPLA have closed the book on the case and things are at an end.

Goes to show 2 things......

1) advice from your mates is always invaluable (cheers guys) and
2) never ever let the barstewards get to you.

urrrrrsssss

great news dave, well done.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024