Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daring to look ahead - Preview 11:59 - Mar 9 with 1802 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/54470
Daring to look ahead - Preview on 12:12 - Mar 9 with 1737 viewssimmo

Such a shame we can't be there to give Ainsworth a welcome home, would have been a great little mid-week atmosphere...

Through him and various loans, Wycombe have become something of a 2nd team for me and I imagine lots of other Rangers fans too. Let's hope they keep doing themselves proud and if they are to be relegated, that they are back sooner rather than later.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Daring to look ahead - Preview on 12:18 - Mar 9 with 1703 viewsslmrstid

I can imagine the sort of social media meltdown that will occur tonight if we don't win...

I don't want to say this is a MUST win, because you say that for games you need to win to stay away from the relegation zone, or stay near the top and we're neither at the moment.

But it is the sort of game we really should be winning if we have those aspirations of trying to get higher up the table and stay there rather than floating about in the middle as we have done.

So its a rarity for me to say this, but I expect 3 points tonight. We'll probably find a way to screw it up.

As said, its a shame Gareth doesnt get his great reception tonight, but hopefully he does one day. He sure deserves it.
Daring to look ahead - Preview on 12:35 - Mar 9 with 1640 viewsdaveB

It will be interesting to see how crowds are affected next season and beyond. I think at first you will see loads desperate to get back but not sure how long that will last certainly with younger fans. My son will be 12 by the time we go back and not sure how keen he is going to be to spend his Saturdays sat in the cold watching football
Daring to look ahead - Preview on 13:15 - Mar 9 with 1522 viewssimmo

Daring to look ahead - Preview on 12:35 - Mar 9 by daveB

It will be interesting to see how crowds are affected next season and beyond. I think at first you will see loads desperate to get back but not sure how long that will last certainly with younger fans. My son will be 12 by the time we go back and not sure how keen he is going to be to spend his Saturdays sat in the cold watching football

Yeah that was a big problem before, and will likely be worse once we're back.

I think the money point Clive makes is a really good one - it's actually crazy the amount spent a month when adding up drinks/travel/tickets, etc. Those of us lucky enough to have maintained their wages with massively reduced outgoings will be getting used to a certain amount of financial comfort and lots of other life plans might take precedence over dropping £150 a Saturday 3 times a month...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Daring to look ahead - Preview on 14:19 - Mar 9 with 1342 viewsAntti_Heinola

Really thoughtful preview, thanks Clive.

I think it's easy to make two cases - that attendances will go up because people are so glad to be back, or that they'll go down for all the reasons you identified. The truth is probably somewhere in between. I'm sure some people will have seen some sort of light and have decided they have better things to do on a Saturday. Although, judging by match threads on here, the most miserable fans seem just as joyful as ever at getting their weekly dose of misery. But I also think there's a good chance plenty of others will be reinvgorated by it - realising that maybe they took it for granted, football, the constant that would never stop, actually stopped altogether for ages and stopped us fans for well over a fecking year.

I think people naturally drift away with age - they must do, otherwise we could fill 50,000 every week, because new fans do come and do get hooked. I think people have been worrying about younger fans being seduced by Liverpool/Barca/City for years, but as far as I can see, attendances recovered hugely after the scary 80s of football violence, and remain pretty healthy. I may be a romantic, but I think there will be people who will always want to support their local team.

And the same bell rings true throughout our recent history. When things are not good, we still get 10-11,000 (remember, in literally any other sport in this country, that figure would be considered breathtakingly high - in most cases, high even for seeing a top class representation of the sport). And when we start winning, and playing very well, which I promise you will happen again, whether it is in 1 year, 2 years, 10, 15, or 20, and whether in this league or the one below, we will get close to capacity once more.

This is a long way of saying - once we're back in and things are, hopefully, normalish, I'd be surprised if there were any significant change. And if by some miracle we make a charge for it next season, you can bet Auntie fn Nellie will be back on here demanding her ticket again.

Bare bones.

Daring to look ahead - Preview on 14:20 - Mar 9 with 1335 viewsAntti_Heinola

Daring to look ahead - Preview on 12:35 - Mar 9 by daveB

He's 12 dave, why the f are you giving him a choice?
Man up. He should suffer like the rest of us. ;)

Bare bones.

Daring to look ahead - Preview on 15:52 - Mar 9 with 1162 viewsWegerles_Stairs

As someone who grew up going to matches pre-Taylor Report, I will always prefer watching football from the terraces. For kids growing up after that, watching football in the top two tiers is a completely different experience. When you factor in the cost, you can see why the average age of supporters has risen steadily. Home matches are certainly less visceral than they were in the 70s and 80s, for better or worse, and the experience is arguably more anodyne. You still get that frisson at certain away games though.

I think the main way of getting fans back next season is successful, semi-attractive football. If you're at the top end of the table or on a cup run, you feel like you're missing out if you're not there. Reopening the Loft as a proper terrace/stand would also help the atmosphere but that's been said a billion times before.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2021 15:53]
Daring to look ahead - Preview on 16:40 - Mar 9 with 1066 viewslondonscottish

Now I've had my 1st jab as have a number of of my family members, neighbours, work colleagues and friends, I'm officially excited about the prospect of getting out and about in pubs round here, pubs in the City and, of course, pubs before and after a QPR game.

The sun's come out today which makes me even more excited. I've started booking up nights out in May & June.

So come the end of this f*cking thing I am most definitely going out. A lot!!

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

Daring to look ahead - Preview on 16:40 - Mar 9 with 1065 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks Clive, plenty to mull over there, don't agree with all of it, but as you've said before that's not really the point!
Daring to look ahead - Preview on 17:43 - Mar 9 with 954 viewswestberksr

very thoughtful & considered preview Clive; a lot of which echoes my own, slightly less eloquent thoughts.

i will be back with fecking bells on at the earliest opportunity & have also booked loads of other stuff in anticipation of some form of normality.

Covid came just after my Dad had to hang up his season ticket at 82 after 72 years of suffering! So he's not been deprived of live footy. That would have been a real kick in the teeth as he's been on 'last season' for the past 3 or 4, so a least he packed up of his own, health or more lack of, volition.

he's adapted to watching the live stream and then flicking straight to sky to watch more footy; my poor mum!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024