Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times 16:28 - Apr 17 with 2598 viewsadhoc_qpr

Haven't seen this posted, clearly a few lessons have been learnt from this season and i'd applaud this approach, but i have no idea if it's workable:

Gary Jacob
Published at 12:01AM, April 17 2013
Queens Park Rangers plan to introduce incentivised contracts for new players in the summer to overhaul their finances.
The West London club, who are second from bottom in the Barclays Premier League and have been criticised for paying excessive wages to players this season, will offer relatively low basic salaries boosted by extra payments for appearances, possibly linked to where the team finish in the league.
They believe that the contracts will be easier to introduce in the npower Championship – accepting that they will be relegated this season – and hope that it would avoid a situation where they are paying players fixed sums for not even sitting on the substitutes’ bench. José Bosingwa was paid £65,000 a week during the ten weeks that he was inactive after the defender fell out with the club in December.
The difficulty will be to persuade players to accept the contracts and to avoid a division with those squad members on existing deals. It comes after the club secured a £15 million short-term loan with Barclays Bank in Hong Kong last month, charged against their assets, including Loftus Road, which would appear to be to smooth over finances until the end of the season, when they will receive prize money based on their finishing position.
QPR’s costs are believed to be about £8.5 million a month and net debt, owed to the owners, stands at £88.9 million. The club, and the players’ agents, are already working on sales to slash a wage bill that is understood to be about £80 million – 1½ times turnover.
They will be helped by an increase in parachute payments to relegated clubs, from £48 million to £60 million spread over four years.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 16:46 - Apr 17 with 2533 viewsMytch_QPR

Interesting - and entirely logical. The problem, as ever, will probably be the agents. If all clubs operated a similar system then the agents would have to live with it, as it stands the club which is most desperate to sign the player will bend to the agent's wishes (as we have seen so often this season).

The other interesting (and possibly incorrect) statement was about the increase in the parachute payments - I thought that this started from next season???

Sorry - ignore the last bit about payments, just read the other thread on this...
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 17:03 - Apr 17 with 2482 viewsMedwayR

I read that this morning, if Tony is looking to slash the wage bill he's going to have to take a huge short term hit to move them on - whether it's paying contracts up or negotiating with other teams to move players on, it's going to be costly, is there much benefit considering that those who do leave will need replacing??? I think some can & will go (Cesar, Remy, Taarabt, Granero etc) but some we'll be stuck with (Bosingwa, SWP etc) unless Tony is willing to take the financial hit of moving them on...

Poll: Who’s better?

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 18:52 - Apr 17 with 2334 viewsbosh67

I like this because if we had taken this approach all season the total player outlay would have been under £20K.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 18:56 - Apr 17 with 2323 viewsGloucs_R

So basically introducing what every other sensible club does already, Hughes and co really fukd this club over.

Poll: Are we staying up?

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 19:15 - Apr 17 with 2275 viewsSomersetHoops

If you are going to have incentives, you first need to ensure the players you have are capable of responding to them. If you are recruiting with that idea you will struggle if other clubs offer better deals without players taking the risk. In an ideal world we would uncover some skilled players other clubs aren't aware of and can impose reasonable contracts rather than the stupid deals we've done up to now.

In any case any incentive scheme needs to be balancedto ensure players are playing for the club as well as their wages.

Who's Next?

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 22:22 - Apr 17 with 2129 viewsLblock

Nothing new here

Sam Hamman built Wimbledon up from nothing to Premiership regulars and FA cup winners using a model based hugely on incentives

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 22:37 - Apr 17 with 2099 viewsTacticalR

This talk looks at the some of the problems with incentive schemes. It's 18 minutes long, so not everyone will want to watch it, but to summarise, the less routine the work people do, the less effective incentive schemes are:

Air hostess clique

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 22:40 - Apr 17 with 2091 viewsHooparoo

This thread is making me wonder whether we would have been better off long term if we had gone down last season.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Login to get fewer ads

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 22:47 - Apr 17 with 2074 viewsTacticalR

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 22:40 - Apr 17 by Hooparoo

This thread is making me wonder whether we would have been better off long term if we had gone down last season.

It's all Warnock's fault for getting us promoted in the first place.

Air hostess clique

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 22:49 - Apr 17 with 2070 viewsHooparoo

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 22:47 - Apr 17 by TacticalR

It's all Warnock's fault for getting us promoted in the first place.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 00:18 - Apr 18 with 1999 viewsMatch82

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

I believe that it makes sense to have contracts where the incentives form a reasonable part of the overall structure, but not TOO much. In the Championship, a league where team spirit and unity is incredibly important, I wonder whether the incentives being such a large part of the contract is going to create a problem with bitterness and divide the squad. On one hand, not being in the team because they are out of form might make the players more likely to buckle down. On the other hand, if they feel like they're being left out for little/no reason, and/or because the manager is playing favourites, it's actually affecting their livelihood as well as their playing time.
QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 02:52 - Apr 18 with 1961 viewsKiwi76

Think these sort of incentives have always existed one way or another haven't they - remember Blackpool players looking to take their owner to court over payments with their promotion few seasons back.
Will be added cream rather though and might either keep a couple or attract a couple of players - don't think anyone will be scratching around for dinner money.
Struggling to keep glass at half full but have to hope that the parachute payments do give us an unfair advantage over competitors for next season at least.
QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 03:24 - Apr 18 with 1951 viewsCanadaRanger

Success on the pitch is, of course, top priority, as TV money is important and - from a match-day attendance perspective - no-one likes spending hard earned money to go and see a bunch of players who don't try hard enough and/or who clearly would rather be playing elsewhere. However, we are going into years where building attendance to fill a larger new stadium becomes a top priority, and a player's worth to the club is increased by the number of additional seats his (or her, with the women's teams) contribution to the club helps to fill.

Every time one of our players (or training staff) goes to a school or a young persons club in the local community and near districts (+/- 25 miles), that's 100 or so families who have had a positive interaction with the club, and therefore who might be more predisposed to come see the R's play, rather than our rivals.

Every time players visit a hospital ward it touches lives. Some times those interactions should remain private, but other times maybe the club can provide free video coverage of a few games to the patients in hospital (who can't get to games) and maybe a story gets printed in a local newspaper - with the result that another few tens of thousands of people get to see something positive about the club.

Every time a player helps a local charity... including our own Tiger Kids...

You get the idea...

It's part of what it takes to turn a good player into a QPR legend.

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 16:00 - Apr 18 with 1729 viewsTacticalR

In Rodney Marsh's interview on 'My Sporting Life' on Talksport last year he mentioned that a lot of the players at Man City didn't like him because he disrupted team play, but because their bonuses were tied to crowd numbers and he added thousands to every gate at Man City they got big pay increases because of him.

Air hostess clique

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 16:11 - Apr 18 with 1708 viewstoboboly

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 18:56 - Apr 17 by Gloucs_R

So basically introducing what every other sensible club does already, Hughes and co really fukd this club over.

Exactly. You couldn't make it up could you?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 16:37 - Apr 18 with 1690 viewsPinnerPaul

Not sure most clubs do operate like this.

That Tevez payslip leaked about 12 months ago didn't have any bonus payments on it if I remember.

That's why there are players all over hanging around on mega money - Arshavin one of many many examples.
QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 16:43 - Apr 18 with 1685 viewstoboboly

QPR to look at new way of paying players - from the Times on 16:37 - Apr 18 by PinnerPaul

Not sure most clubs do operate like this.

That Tevez payslip leaked about 12 months ago didn't have any bonus payments on it if I remember.

That's why there are players all over hanging around on mega money - Arshavin one of many many examples.

It did have bonuses but I have no idea how to paste a picture

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024