Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony F in the Guardian 20:40 - Sep 5 with 2077 viewsbosh67

Nice article about Tony.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/05/tony-fernandes-qpr-chairman-harr

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Tony F in the Guardian on 21:47 - Sep 5 with 1950 viewsScubaHoop

reading that how can you not love the guy. He makes his mishtakes but he is a geezer.
Tony F in the Guardian (n/t) on 02:15 - Sep 6 with 1762 viewsFDC

Fluff
[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 2:16]
Tony F in the Guardian (n/t) on 02:34 - Sep 6 with 1748 viewsgigiisourgod

[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 9:46]
Tony F in the Guardian on 02:49 - Sep 6 with 1740 viewsFDC

"Ripped off"

"Exploited"

Tony F in the Guardian on 07:10 - Sep 6 with 1651 viewsLblock

Throw away confirmation Redknapp has a new 2 year deal

FFS etc

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Tony F in the Guardian on 09:11 - Sep 6 with 1557 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'll believe in him when he commits once and for all and confirms that the new ground would be in QPR FC's name, irrevocably, and that the club is debt-free.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tony F in the Guardian on 09:44 - Sep 6 with 1499 viewsIrishR

Sometimes I wonder what people actually expect from there chairman, I consider us lucky to have TF we could be a lot lot worse off. Give the man a break or do something about it as he is contactable. Let me know when you want to get the buckets ready again.
Tony F in the Guardian (n/t) on 09:46 - Sep 6 with 1492 viewsrsonist

Tony F in the Guardian (n/t) on 02:15 - Sep 6 by FDC

Fluff
[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 2:16]

Pretty much. TF couldn't really have written this any better himself.
Login to get fewer ads

Tony F in the Guardian on 09:51 - Sep 6 with 1474 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tony F in the Guardian on 09:44 - Sep 6 by IrishR

Sometimes I wonder what people actually expect from there chairman, I consider us lucky to have TF we could be a lot lot worse off. Give the man a break or do something about it as he is contactable. Let me know when you want to get the buckets ready again.

I agree on one hand, and I would prefer to trust him and the other owners completely, and to enjoy the relaxation that would bring me as a fan. But I think it's wise to remember the billions that are at stake. The owners can make their billions and commit to the ground, a small part of the overall value of the project, being vested in the name of and legally inseparable from QPR FC. If they do that, I'm on board. But we have to be honest and to be keenly aware that they have been vague at best about such a commitment.

Tony F in the Guardian on 10:11 - Sep 6 with 1432 viewsIrishR

Totally agree Brian and such assurances should be sought when the time comes but some of the grief he gets is shocking. He does seem somewhat foolish and a jester at times but he is a man of the people it seems, would you prefer a hard nosed type? He has made a huge financial commitment to the club already albeit not as successful as he would have hoped. He is the Chairman we have all wanted for years yet when he arrives he is call a Chunt, We are now talking of a new stadium, new training facilities and have a decent team. If you had offered me this 10 years ago then i would of been beaming ear to ear. Sadly people quickly forget the past but i suppose that is applicable to all walks in life and not just football.

If TF and Co make there billions of the New Queens Park development then all the more power to them. I hope Mittal gets the steel contract etc. The more these people fall in love with the club the better. Onwards and upwards.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 10:12]
Tony F in the Guardian on 10:24 - Sep 6 with 1409 viewsenfieldargh

My experience
Jim Gregory
David Bullstrode
Richard Thompson
Chris Wright
Nick Blackburn
some other geezer
Tango and Cash
Tony Fernandez

Jim Gregory was a law unto himself who would never be able cope in the world we live in today. Under him we had our best times but also when he had financial problems qpr's favour also dipped. I have enjoyed listening to the stories told by Rodney, Stan, Peter Hucker etc of Jim Gregory but I never met the bloke and can only imagine what working for him must have been like and wish someone had written a biography of his life as I'm sure it would be a fantastic read.

there no choice really

TF all the way

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Tony F in the Guardian on 10:56 - Sep 6 with 1374 viewswood_hoop

Tony F in the Guardian on 09:51 - Sep 6 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree on one hand, and I would prefer to trust him and the other owners completely, and to enjoy the relaxation that would bring me as a fan. But I think it's wise to remember the billions that are at stake. The owners can make their billions and commit to the ground, a small part of the overall value of the project, being vested in the name of and legally inseparable from QPR FC. If they do that, I'm on board. But we have to be honest and to be keenly aware that they have been vague at best about such a commitment.

Agree with much of your post Brian, I am extremly wary until it is made very clear just where debts and the degree of ownership of any stadium really lie, think the piece about him is good PR but not much else.

As for having been exploited ? really, a very experienced and successful businessman manages to have the club in nigh on £200 million in debt without any real success in facilities or a steady place where all feel comfortable, current players bought in this season on paper do seem a better lot than last time in the prem, but then so were many of the very expensive misfits we had to suffer the last time in the top division thought to be, lets hope they can live up to their reputations.

Yes I agree with his point about having a manager for a decent length of time but HR to me has not shown so far, even glimpses, that he is of the 'right type' to build our club into something that he and many others seek, as for offering an extension at this point even more of a big mistake, a wait until January would have been more prudent if worrying about him walking at the end of the season, at least we would have a better picture by then of just where HR was going with the current squad and more cash made available for the window.

Will it be money for a rescue mission because were in the shi* or maybe a few decent additions to bolster an already good playing side, HR has a reputation for spending like no tomorrow when he can, with a new contract pocketed he now has TF over a barrel, HR can now claim he needs to top up the squad either way, and if the team is not as succesful as we all hope an even bigger reason for not wanting him squandering even more money, and waiting until the end of the season to make a decision.
Tony F in the Guardian on 11:06 - Sep 6 with 1361 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tony F in the Guardian on 10:11 - Sep 6 by IrishR

Totally agree Brian and such assurances should be sought when the time comes but some of the grief he gets is shocking. He does seem somewhat foolish and a jester at times but he is a man of the people it seems, would you prefer a hard nosed type? He has made a huge financial commitment to the club already albeit not as successful as he would have hoped. He is the Chairman we have all wanted for years yet when he arrives he is call a Chunt, We are now talking of a new stadium, new training facilities and have a decent team. If you had offered me this 10 years ago then i would of been beaming ear to ear. Sadly people quickly forget the past but i suppose that is applicable to all walks in life and not just football.

If TF and Co make there billions of the New Queens Park development then all the more power to them. I hope Mittal gets the steel contract etc. The more these people fall in love with the club the better. Onwards and upwards.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 10:12]

Very good post. I don't like being the harbinger if doom, honest!

Most if the time I fluctuate between the mood in my post above and the one in your reply. Feelings aren't scientific no matter how hard we try to make them so.

Tony F in the Guardian on 11:46 - Sep 6 with 1304 viewsIrishR

Haha I know Brian im similar but today my mood is stand up for Tony day. He is taking us in the right direction and like any business he should try make some profit from it(here i mean New Queens Park) not bleed the club dry. We all make mistakes I hope his critics are as harsh on themselves. The grass is green but some always want it to be greener, some it seems want no grass at all and "woe is me" sob stories, gun drama and bucket collections.
Tony F in the Guardian on 12:31 - Sep 6 with 1230 viewsFDC

Tony F in the Guardian on 09:44 - Sep 6 by IrishR

Tony or bust is a false binary.

Owners of football clubs should be judged on the state of the football club. How healthy the state of Qpr is is moot. I'm certainly not saying he's a terrible club owner, but he rubs me up the wrong way with this "i'm just a simple man who loved too much" crap. He's a capitalist looking to get the best return on his capital, no more no less. Which is what you would expect.

I don't like the spectacle of supporters doting over people who at the end of the day are looking to make money from them, falling hook line and sinker for some fairly cynical and crude PR.
Tony F in the Guardian on 12:59 - Sep 6 with 1207 viewsNW5Hoop

"some of the grief he gets is shocking"

But it's not, is it? He gets hardly any grief. I've never heard supporters at any other club sing the name of their chairman. He gets adored, more than anything else, because of the contrast with what came before.

The minute anyone says anything questioning of the way he's run the club, those who admire him jump up and shout that we're going to scare off the best thing that ever happened to the club.

But the fact is, his running of the club has not, so far, been a success. And please don't say we got promoted — because that only came after two seasons for which "disastrous" is not the word. The club shouldn't have had to be getting promoted in the first place. Off the pitch, we've had the decision that a training ground is the key to the club's future, then the decision that it doesn't matter at all, followed by an unseemly public to do with the owners of the land he wants to build a new ground on (people who, lest we forget, put money into the club when it was most needed).
Tony F in the Guardian on 13:55 - Sep 6 with 1165 viewsIrishR

He is certainly not pulling the wool over my eyes but I would recommend we judge him on where we are in 5 years. QPR as we are now will never make money, without getting into the stadium argument we all love Loftus Road but we do need to move to become sustainable. We do need to build a new training ground and improve the academy setup, we all know that and it looks like TF does too. If it all goes pear shaped and he leaves us in crisis then there will be the I told you so's but hindsight is a great thing. We need to spend to stay in the prem and with the smallest stadium in the league the books will not add up. Stability is the key im not talking champions league, we are not the only small club spending money.

Gone are the days of Roy of the Rovers types runs to the premiership, the gap is getting bigger and we need to ensure we are on that ship. People can glamorise the lower leagues saying they were better days and we were more of a club etc etc but the premiership is where it is at and where the majority of us want to stay.

To say he gets no grief is a lie. Granted its not by all but there are some on here and just check out any of his social media(not getting into this argument either) outlets to see that.
Tony F in the Guardian on 14:29 - Sep 6 with 1121 viewsbarabajagal

Tony F in the Guardian on 12:59 - Sep 6 by NW5Hoop

"some of the grief he gets is shocking"

But it's not, is it? He gets hardly any grief. I've never heard supporters at any other club sing the name of their chairman. He gets adored, more than anything else, because of the contrast with what came before.

The minute anyone says anything questioning of the way he's run the club, those who admire him jump up and shout that we're going to scare off the best thing that ever happened to the club.

But the fact is, his running of the club has not, so far, been a success. And please don't say we got promoted — because that only came after two seasons for which "disastrous" is not the word. The club shouldn't have had to be getting promoted in the first place. Off the pitch, we've had the decision that a training ground is the key to the club's future, then the decision that it doesn't matter at all, followed by an unseemly public to do with the owners of the land he wants to build a new ground on (people who, lest we forget, put money into the club when it was most needed).

We're playing Manchester United next week in the Premier League. We can barely sell out a stadium that holds 18,300 people. Our 'natural level' is probably that of a good league 1 side. How has his chairmanship not been a success? If we manage to stay up this year I have a feeling we'll stay for a good few years. As chairmen go, we've got a good 'un at the moment.
Tony F in the Guardian on 14:29 - Sep 6 with 1121 viewsgigiisourgod

Tony F in the Guardian on 13:55 - Sep 6 by IrishR

He is certainly not pulling the wool over my eyes but I would recommend we judge him on where we are in 5 years. QPR as we are now will never make money, without getting into the stadium argument we all love Loftus Road but we do need to move to become sustainable. We do need to build a new training ground and improve the academy setup, we all know that and it looks like TF does too. If it all goes pear shaped and he leaves us in crisis then there will be the I told you so's but hindsight is a great thing. We need to spend to stay in the prem and with the smallest stadium in the league the books will not add up. Stability is the key im not talking champions league, we are not the only small club spending money.

Gone are the days of Roy of the Rovers types runs to the premiership, the gap is getting bigger and we need to ensure we are on that ship. People can glamorise the lower leagues saying they were better days and we were more of a club etc etc but the premiership is where it is at and where the majority of us want to stay.

To say he gets no grief is a lie. Granted its not by all but there are some on here and just check out any of his social media(not getting into this argument either) outlets to see that.

He is certainly willing to put his money where his mouth is and I respect that. But I really do wish he would cut out all the PR. Football fans are not as obtuse as he believes. No one has a problem with him making a buck or two out of our club but just be a bit more transparent about it and cut out the BS.
Tony F in the Guardian on 08:10 - Sep 7 with 934 viewsNW5Hoop

Tony F in the Guardian on 14:29 - Sep 6 by barabajagal

We're playing Manchester United next week in the Premier League. We can barely sell out a stadium that holds 18,300 people. Our 'natural level' is probably that of a good league 1 side. How has his chairmanship not been a success? If we manage to stay up this year I have a feeling we'll stay for a good few years. As chairmen go, we've got a good 'un at the moment.

Well, it was — though we all prefer not to admit it — under Tango and Cash's ownership that we first got back to the Premier League. Does that make them great owners?
Tony F in the Guardian on 09:40 - Sep 7 with 866 viewsisawqpratwcity

Tony F in the Guardian on 08:10 - Sep 7 by NW5Hoop

Well, it was — though we all prefer not to admit it — under Tango and Cash's ownership that we first got back to the Premier League. Does that make them great owners?

irony, right?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Tony F in the Guardian on 11:28 - Sep 7 with 799 viewsNW5Hoop

Tony F in the Guardian on 09:40 - Sep 7 by isawqpratwcity

irony, right?

Course I don't think they were great owners. Just replying to the point that the poster made saying the fact we are in the PL proves TF has been a success.
Tony F in the Guardian on 13:30 - Sep 7 with 761 viewsthehat

Does he get every decision correct of course not but then again who does in life.

Are we better with Tony at the helm yea of course we are and remember its not just Tony we have Amit, Ruban etc etc...

Lots of clubs look at us with envy at our owners - Leeds, Coventry, Sheffield Utd, Sheffield Wednesday, etc etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024