Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... 09:31 - Nov 9 with 5165 viewsHadders

1. They are doing an incredibly hard job (where it is impossible to be 100% accurate and mistakes are inevitable) and I don`t want to make it any harder.
2. Evidence shows that they get the vast majority of decisions right (see below). They know the rules better than anyone (like last night-what a daft rule, though!).
3. They are almost the only neutral people in the stadium.
4. When we see them make a mistake in our favour, no-one says a word.
5. It really does even out in the end.
6. It is pointless, and complaining distracts players when they need to focus (remember that Sterling free kick against Liverpool).
7. Even fans of big clubs think refs are against them, and that says more about fans than refs.
8. Perhaps it happens sometimes, but there is no evidence (that I have seen) that big clubs get preferential treatment. It seems likely that they get more decisions because they have the ball/get in the opponent`s penalty area more, etc.
9. Match of the Day usually shows them to be right (after fans have gone berserk and engaged in mass abuse of one man).
10. In rugby, those wild-looking blokes almost always respect the ref`s decision as final, so why can`t we do the same?
11. Because I was brought up not to bully and call people names, and to respect my elders! It really does feel like bullying to me.
12. Because decisions would always be right if players were honest, but then fans would complain if their player fessed up: "It`s not a penalty actually ref, I slipped". Uproar!

I`d suggest that it`s not officials who are dishonest, so much as the players and fans. Refs operate in a tribal culture of winning at all costs and cheating, mostly condoned by fans when it favours their side.

Last night was brilliant, but the ref got a load of abuse from us from early in the match, most of which was totally unfounded. The first Austin goal was blatantly offside and the second was disallowed due to the application of an arcane and ridiculous rule, which goes to show that refs often know more than we do. True, the first Aguero goal should not have stood, but the offside and handball were both easy to miss, even in replays. It was an honest mistake.

I love football and am a passionate fan, but reckon players and supporters should have a look at ourselves before laying into refs every week.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/mar/03/referees-winning-percentage
[Post edited 9 Nov 2014 13:37]
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 09:43 - Nov 9 with 2745 viewspomanjou

Good post Hadders. For the most part it will probably fall on deaf ears.

I would add that there are one or two refs that are self publicising actors and the exceptions to the rule, but I don't think Dean is one of them.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 09:45 - Nov 9 with 2738 viewsloftboy

Maybe true but mike dean is a cûnt and proved that by letting 3 man city fouls go without a card then booking the first QPR one, made no allowance for the weather, he forgot the last law of football which is in the handbook and it's called " the law of commen sense"

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:14 - Nov 9 with 2650 viewsfrancisbowles

Very good post and of course you are correct. However, he was a bit card happy against us in the first half and I think he guessed a hand ball against Charlie as he attempted to break away.

This same official also managed to miss the cause of Barton's 'red mist' at City in that 2012 game, namely Tevez. A mistake which was later compounded by the FA, in spite of video evidence, refusing to take any action.

So, on the evidence of the above and last weeks penalty, amongst many other incidents involving numerous club, I would strongly maintain there is a big club bias.
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:17 - Nov 9 with 2634 viewsShotKneesHoop

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 09:45 - Nov 9 by loftboy

Maybe true but mike dean is a cûnt and proved that by letting 3 man city fouls go without a card then booking the first QPR one, made no allowance for the weather, he forgot the last law of football which is in the handbook and it's called " the law of commen sense"

Cricket has laws - football has rules.

The laws rarely change because they have stood the test of time.

The rules always change because Rsoles like Blatter love to interfere to "improve the game" aka show how important you are and make extra money in the process.

Common sense is Law 43 or rule 0000 dependent on which game you refer to..

And Dean still is a copey dunt.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:18 - Nov 9 with 2632 viewsfakekerby

I'm sorry but he was poor - far too happy to book our players and let City players off for the same offenses.

Happy to blow up when Charlie controlled it with his shoulder and allows Aguero to handle for the goal.

Those statistics in the article are pure bull 93% accuracy of decisions. Just one weekend of MOTD showed refs get several key decisions wrong - including a Chelsea player punching Sterling and Chelsea getting away with two handballs in the area. So no way are every 9.3 out of 10 decisions correct.
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:20 - Nov 9 with 2619 viewsyankranger

I generally agree with this, but he was extremely poor and inconsistent last night. What was a warning for them was a yellow card for us.

What I don't understand is why they don't have four linesman, each covering 1/4 of the pitch. That first goal by Aguero the linesman should have seen that he was offside but I can understand why the linesman and official didn't see the handball based on where it happened. If there was another linesman on the south africa side he would have seen that he used his arm to control it.

The game moves too quick and it's easy for them to be slightly out of position, or have a bad visual angle to see what happened. There should be two officials each covering a half, and four linesman covering the sides. Doesn't make sense to me.
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:47 - Nov 9 with 2562 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

My abuse of match day officials is not based on rational, well reasoned arguments, but rather the irrational thoughts and rantings of a fanatical person paying stupid amounts to watch the officials (and players) infuriate me.

I don't claim to be right, and would I scream abuse at someone like that in the street? Sometimes I have done, just on Thursday I actually got out of my car and ran after someone in their car when they squeezed through a gap way too small and hit my mirror, the wimp drove off. But I'll see you again my son....

Anyway, players and officials must have a thick skin and as paying and baying public I reserve my right to shout abuse.
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:47 - Nov 9 with 2562 viewsOldPedro

Only saw the highlights on MOTD where Phil Neville praised Dean for getting the Hart free kick decision right. They then showed a shot of Deans position when the incident happened. He was 60 yards away in the QPR half with players between him and the ball. No way did he see what Hart had done - I think he made the decision based on what Hart said, so even though in was the correct decision, he couldn't have seen it - unless he has superhero sight.....

And if he did have superhero sight, he should have seen that Aguero was offside and handled the ball for the 1st goal............

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Login to get fewer ads

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:53 - Nov 9 with 2537 viewsRaymond

F%CK THEM.

They decided to do the job, no one forced them.

I have no problem with offside headers or the stupid two touch rule that denied Charlie goals yesterday, that's the rules but I cannot except the inept performance of that little bald w@nker when reaching for his cards.

To blatantly watch a player go through one of ours with no talking to, to then boooking one of ours for an absolute nothing grates on me. This happened on 3 or 4 occasions.

He had a mare, lets not mention the tosser of a lino who couldn't see an obvious double hand ball or offside just 20 yards away.

If I had a gun I think I'd of shot the pair of them last night I kid you not.
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:02 - Nov 9 with 2498 viewsjohncharles

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:47 - Nov 9 by OldPedro

Only saw the highlights on MOTD where Phil Neville praised Dean for getting the Hart free kick decision right. They then showed a shot of Deans position when the incident happened. He was 60 yards away in the QPR half with players between him and the ball. No way did he see what Hart had done - I think he made the decision based on what Hart said, so even though in was the correct decision, he couldn't have seen it - unless he has superhero sight.....

And if he did have superhero sight, he should have seen that Aguero was offside and handled the ball for the 1st goal............

Correct.
The match has stopped when Charlie scores. Mike Dean runs from sixty yards away to see why Hart is protesting. He accepts Harts explanation and disallows the goal.

Strong and stable my arse.

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:02 - Nov 9 with 2497 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:53 - Nov 9 by Raymond

F%CK THEM.

They decided to do the job, no one forced them.

I have no problem with offside headers or the stupid two touch rule that denied Charlie goals yesterday, that's the rules but I cannot except the inept performance of that little bald w@nker when reaching for his cards.

To blatantly watch a player go through one of ours with no talking to, to then boooking one of ours for an absolute nothing grates on me. This happened on 3 or 4 occasions.

He had a mare, lets not mention the tosser of a lino who couldn't see an obvious double hand ball or offside just 20 yards away.

If I had a gun I think I'd of shot the pair of them last night I kid you not.

I agree entirely, very well put!

We seem to have to worst decisions at home, always do. I remember once the ref stopped the match for an opposition player who was OFF THE PITCH at the time costing us possession and with their players all over the place. And their player was fine, got up and carried on. Then the same thing happened the following week.

Rules is rules is rules, but the inconsistency and one sided dishing out of cards just like yesterday are what drive a normal rational person such as me to act with aforementioned irrationality.
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:03 - Nov 9 with 2493 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:02 - Nov 9 by johncharles

Correct.
The match has stopped when Charlie scores. Mike Dean runs from sixty yards away to see why Hart is protesting. He accepts Harts explanation and disallows the goal.

I *think* the Lino radioed the ref that it had been kicked twice.
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:04 - Nov 9 with 2493 viewsBrisbaneR

Point 10 is a great one, and I've never understood why a couple of changes haven't been tried in football.
I think both RL & RU have rules whereby the only player that can speak to the referee is the captain - and if he doesn't mind his manners (Sir), then that is clamped down on too.
The sight of half a dozen men screaming at the ref, and doing so as part of a premeditated plan to pressure the ref, even when they know they are blatantly wrong is sickening.
There is already enough pressure on refs, giving players virtually complete freedom to pile on more is asking for trouble. Serial abuser = 5 minute sin bin?
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:04 - Nov 9 with 2490 viewsCamberleyR

Football has laws, not rules.
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/log2013e

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:05 - Nov 9 with 2487 viewsfrancisbowles

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:47 - Nov 9 by OldPedro

Seeing it on MOTD, he did whistle vey quickly before Charlie had buried it. I also saw him put his hand to his ear which makes me wonder was it the assistant who saw it?

As for the rule, I don't think it was intended for this. I think it is just meant to ensure that the ball leaves the penalty area before it is touched by a second player, which it did. So, perhaps applying common sense it should have stood.
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:09 - Nov 9 with 2476 viewstimcocking

Utter bollox.

The mistakes even themselves out in the end?!!! Neutral???!!!

What an absolutely...amazing statement. Anybody who seriously thinks the 'little teams' get the same decisions as the 'big tems'...well i just don't know what to say to something that incorrect.

Oh, i get it, you're joking, right? Either you jest, or you're both blind and incredibly stupid. Or a Man U fan in disguise perhaps.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2014 11:11]
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:14 - Nov 9 with 2451 viewsMedwayR

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:03 - Nov 9 by Pablo_Hoopsta

I *think* the Lino radioed the ref that it had been kicked twice.

He did, Mike Dean was very inconsistent in favour of Man City but the Lino was very good, called everything right as far as I can remember.

Poll: Who’s better?

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:25 - Nov 9 with 2424 viewsShotKneesHoop

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:04 - Nov 9 by CamberleyR

Football has laws, not rules.
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/log2013e

That's from FIFA - they don't know what laws are or what legal is.

They have as much integrity as Alfie Biggs, The Krays and Tony Blair.

They aren't rules, they are really Fairy Tales, make 'em up as you go along.

And Dean is still one.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:25 - Nov 9 with 2423 viewsRaymond

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:02 - Nov 9 by Pablo_Hoopsta

I agree entirely, very well put!

We seem to have to worst decisions at home, always do. I remember once the ref stopped the match for an opposition player who was OFF THE PITCH at the time costing us possession and with their players all over the place. And their player was fine, got up and carried on. Then the same thing happened the following week.

Rules is rules is rules, but the inconsistency and one sided dishing out of cards just like yesterday are what drive a normal rational person such as me to act with aforementioned irrationality.

Mate I turn into Mr Angry badly when I really don't want to.

As you say, consistency.

Best league in the world? Give over, the officiating at times is bordering on embarrassing.

Said to a Spurs pal recently I think we get the worse refs in the world & he said na we do too, but honestly I think we do.

When do we get decisions that actually benefit us not hinder us EVERY time?
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:33 - Nov 9 with 2393 viewsWesty75

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:05 - Nov 9 by francisbowles

Seeing it on MOTD, he did whistle vey quickly before Charlie had buried it. I also saw him put his hand to his ear which makes me wonder was it the assistant who saw it?

As for the rule, I don't think it was intended for this. I think it is just meant to ensure that the ball leaves the penalty area before it is touched by a second player, which it did. So, perhaps applying common sense it should have stood.

Exactly - quite clearly the rule is to make sure the keeper can't time waste playing tiki taka with their defenders, not for the keeper f*cking up. Common sense would have been nice (that was in short supply last night) it also looks like the rule book needs a bit of a tweak.
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 11:57 - Nov 9 with 2353 viewsStanisgod

Why is it then that as soon as I saw Deans name as ref I just knew that something would kick off against us. Surely that's wrong to think that and normally be right.
So your saying that letting 2 sliding tackles go by M C then booking the first rangers one is defendible, utter crap.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 12:51 - Nov 9 with 2245 viewsdaveB

He may well have been proved right for the Austin goal but it was a complete guess and a free kick to us. He had no idea what happened and got lucky. Said it last week and say it again now not a chance that would have been disallowed at the other end.

His first half performance was a disgrace, he booked every foul QPR made and let City off with a warning every time, the only booking he gave City was to the wrong player. The first City goal was handball and offside, he bottled that oneA really poor performance from him and even the Austin handball which lead to the second goal was a guess and a very harsh decision.
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 12:57 - Nov 9 with 2235 viewsHadders

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 09:43 - Nov 9 by pomanjou

Good post Hadders. For the most part it will probably fall on deaf ears.

I would add that there are one or two refs that are self publicising actors and the exceptions to the rule, but I don't think Dean is one of them.

Thanks mate. Seems your bit about it falling on deaf ears was spot on...
[Post edited 9 Nov 2014 13:13]
Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 12:58 - Nov 9 with 2225 viewsloftboy

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 10:17 - Nov 9 by ShotKneesHoop

Cricket has laws - football has rules.

The laws rarely change because they have stood the test of time.

The rules always change because Rsoles like Blatter love to interfere to "improve the game" aka show how important you are and make extra money in the process.

Common sense is Law 43 or rule 0000 dependent on which game you refer to..

And Dean still is a copey dunt.

Being pedantic bur football has laws and they're numbered 1-18

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Call me old-fashioned, but I never abuse officials because... on 13:01 - Nov 9 with 2216 viewsDylanP

That is not old fashioned. That is just a different opinion.

People have been abusing refs as long as I can remember, and I've been watching football for 40 years. Maybe there was some golden age when people didn't abuse the ref, but I sincerely doubt it.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024