Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How football changes tactically. 10:49 - Feb 14 with 1336 viewsozexile

After watching yesterdays disaster it got me thinking about how the best QPR team I've seen would have fared yesterday. Everyone agrees we were overun in central midfield yet the team of 1993 only had holloway and wilkins in there.
Sinclair and impey were always used very wide. And we always had Ferdinand and Allen/penrice up top.
Was it the case back then that every team played 4-4-2 so the central midfield battle was always 2 v2. I can't remember tactics back then but i know i never saw us overrun like i did yesterday. Any one help?
How football changes tactically. on 10:57 - Feb 14 with 1323 views1BobbyHazell

Basically, yes.

Players like Wilkins, Tony Currie and Glen Hoddle could get away with being part of a midfield 2 with everyone playing the 442.

It wasn't just the fact that playing 3 centre mids was extremely rare back then, it's also the dramatic rise of defensive tactics and shape that require hard work from all 10 outfield players and ever increasing levels of athleticism.
How football changes tactically. on 11:02 - Feb 14 with 1315 viewsozexile

Thanks Bobby thats what i imagined it must have been cause wilkins was never a great tackler. Sinclair and impey use to be up and down the wings alot but i never remember them coming inside and doing much.
How football changes tactically. on 11:15 - Feb 14 with 1292 viewsrsonist

Hard to imagine any era of football where a powder puff middle of Luongo and Tozser wouldn't have got steamrollered.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2016 11:15]
How football changes tactically. on 11:26 - Feb 14 with 1266 viewsNov77

When sky did their Monday night football analysis of the 66 World Cup final I was surprised to see Germany play a 4-2-4 formation. Today teams play 4-5-1. so instead of there being just four players in the midfield area you now have ten. No wonder games were more end to end in the old days, and in my view more exciting.

The game is too defensive minded now. Imagine teams today going 4-2-4 against each other.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

How football changes tactically. on 11:41 - Feb 14 with 1245 viewsozexile

How football changes tactically. on 11:26 - Feb 14 by Nov77

When sky did their Monday night football analysis of the 66 World Cup final I was surprised to see Germany play a 4-2-4 formation. Today teams play 4-5-1. so instead of there being just four players in the midfield area you now have ten. No wonder games were more end to end in the old days, and in my view more exciting.

The game is too defensive minded now. Imagine teams today going 4-2-4 against each other.

There must have been an awful lot of direct play in those days.
How football changes tactically. on 11:48 - Feb 14 with 1231 viewsMedwayR

I watch a fair bit of Spanish football and particularly Atletico Madrid who play 4-4-2 usually with 3 if not 4 CM's. As a result they're very compact & defensive but break quickly with fast forwards and attacking FB's, they can also switch seamlessly to 4-2-4 with a sub or two. They're a good example of making 4-4-2 work in the modern game, although they're a bit of a one-off as you'll struggle to find any other team with such organisation and work rate.

Poll: Who’s better?

How football changes tactically. on 11:55 - Feb 14 with 1221 viewsozexile

How football changes tactically. on 11:48 - Feb 14 by MedwayR

I watch a fair bit of Spanish football and particularly Atletico Madrid who play 4-4-2 usually with 3 if not 4 CM's. As a result they're very compact & defensive but break quickly with fast forwards and attacking FB's, they can also switch seamlessly to 4-2-4 with a sub or two. They're a good example of making 4-4-2 work in the modern game, although they're a bit of a one-off as you'll struggle to find any other team with such organisation and work rate.

4-4-2 diamond? We could have done this yesterday. Just tuck hoilett and Phillips in and leave the high pressing out.
How football changes tactically. on 12:34 - Feb 14 with 1194 viewsMedwayR

How football changes tactically. on 11:55 - Feb 14 by ozexile

4-4-2 diamond? We could have done this yesterday. Just tuck hoilett and Phillips in and leave the high pressing out.

No a flat midfield, just very compact with the width provided by the attacking full-backs. Their defensive record is phenomenal, unfortunately it comes at the expense of goals which is a shame, it ensures they over-achieve though so Simeone won't change it.

Obviously wouldn't work for us we've barely got 4 CM's available never mind attacking FB's!

Poll: Who’s better?

Login to get fewer ads

How football changes tactically. on 13:00 - Feb 14 with 1136 viewsCamberleyR

How football changes tactically. on 11:26 - Feb 14 by Nov77

4-2-4 was the "in vogue" formation of the early to mid 60s after Brazil used it successfully to win the 1958 and 1962 World Cups. England used it themselves for the first couple of years of Alf Ramsey's reign before going to a 4-3-3 with one of the forward three being an out and out winger.

England used that system in the three 1966 group games before abandoning it from the QF onwards with Martin Peters and Alan Ball interchanging to become the third forward when attacking but also able to drop back to make a 4-4-2 when required. This was probably the early genesis of the 4-4-2 system (although without conventional wide players hence the "wingless wonders"). They had used that particular system once before the 1966 World Cup in a friendly in Spain seven months prior and won 2-0 really easily with Spain being totally bamboozled but kept it under wraps.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

How football changes tactically. on 13:07 - Feb 14 with 1124 viewsRangersDave

Hi everyone,

Are we, as a team, looking fitter?

Just interested
Cheers
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024