Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daily Fail 10:25 - Jun 17 with 6780 viewsPinnerPaul

Front page splash yesterday - story about stowaways in a lorry at Dover telling police there were "from Europe".

Yes I know it didn't merit a front page spread but the paper wants us out of Europe so its become a propaganda newssheet.

Today, on page 2 in much smaller print it now turns out that even these people "came through Europe" (How the hell you get into Britain by road without coming "through Europe' I don't know) AND, wait for it travelled in" an Italian car" (Is there no depths to which these people will not sink!?) they were in fact from Iraq and Kuwait and told police that.

So the front page headline & story "We're from Europe" a complete lie.

In fact 50% of immigrants are non European so leaving EU will make no difference to those numbers without change of policy from OUR government.
Daily Fail on 10:31 - Jun 17 with 3398 viewsNortholt_Rs

So it'll make no difference other than reducing the number by er 50%....?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Daily Fail on 10:54 - Jun 17 with 3319 viewsstumbleandfall

Daily Fail on 10:31 - Jun 17 by Northolt_Rs

Is it all Europeans that outers want to stop coming or just a certain type. I mean are we OK with the Irish and the Dutch freely visiting or are these near neighbours going to be subjected to 'Australian Style Points System'?

Or is it more the case there's a certain 'type' of European we don't want? Hence the need for points.

Do the Irish get more freebie points because they are Irish?
[Post edited 17 Jun 2016 11:01]
Daily Fail on 11:23 - Jun 17 with 3265 viewsstowmarketrange

Is it any worse than the scare stories being spouted by the remain campaign,including our very own PM?
First it was our wages going down,then he moved onto your house losing 18% of its value,then had world war 3 lies,and then the pensioners were targeted.What's next,children told that they'd have to pay double for their school dinners,or the price of dog food will treble and you won't be able to afford to keep your pets?

There are too many untruths on both sides,and it will only get worse in the next few days.
Daily Fail on 12:04 - Jun 17 with 3179 viewsTacticalR

Daily Mail overlooks Orlando massacre in favour of 'pearl earrings'
http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/jun/13/daily-mail-downplays-orl

'We are used to weird editorial decisions by the Express and the Star, papers that no longer have much, if any, credibility. Their owner, Richard Desmond, has run them into the ground.

But the Mail is a different matter altogether. Whatever you may think of its political and social agenda, this is Britain’s second-highest selling national title. It usually exhibits an acute news sense. Why did it desert it this time?

It would appear to have been a mixture of its Eurosceptic fanaticism (the so-what speculative splash) plus commercial cynicism (a preordained determination to plug its readers’ offer: “pearl and white sapphire earrings, inspired by the stunning pearl earrings worn by the Queen... worth £35”).'

Air hostess clique

Daily Fail on 12:25 - Jun 17 with 3115 viewsR_from_afar

Daily Fail on 11:23 - Jun 17 by stowmarketrange

Is it any worse than the scare stories being spouted by the remain campaign,including our very own PM?
First it was our wages going down,then he moved onto your house losing 18% of its value,then had world war 3 lies,and then the pensioners were targeted.What's next,children told that they'd have to pay double for their school dinners,or the price of dog food will treble and you won't be able to afford to keep your pets?

There are too many untruths on both sides,and it will only get worse in the next few days.

"There are too many untruths on both sides,and it will only get worse in the next few days".

I totally agree. However, there have been scare stories from the Leave side, about terrorists coming into the UK, for example.

To be fair to Cameron, he is quoting research and predictions from third parties, not his own merry men in the Remain camp.

In addition, there cannot be any doubt that uncertainty delays investment. If you owned a UK based car factory and were thinking about where to build your new vehicle for the EU market, the referendum would affect your thinking.

There was a recent example of this when Cameron's government started changing their policy on supporting wind energy. There were a number of firms planning to build UK factories but the wavering resulted in delayed investment.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Daily Fail on 12:54 - Jun 17 with 3031 viewsMytch_QPR

After yesterday's events I can hardly summon the will to engage, but there is no massive surprise with anything from The Daily Mail. People keep buying it, and they are going to lap up some of the cr*p it prints.

The bottom line is that we live in a wealthy country. It's hardly a shock when people looking to improve their lives travel to a wealthy country to try to find work and better housing etc - they're not likely to go somewhere poverty-stricken. What is not reported is that a great many of these people are sent back to their home country after going through the correct processes.

RFA is spot on about the uncertainty following Brexit having a major effect (negative) on the economy. I work in the property industry - most people have been stalling on making a decision and many of those who are currently in the process of a transaction have indicated that they will almost certainly withdraw and 'wait and see' if we exit the EU. Maybe that's what the Brexit mob would like - make the country less prosperous so it's less attractive to economic migrants? - marvellous - genius, even!

Anyway, still feeling massively depressed after yesterday. It had a much bigger effect on me than I thought and felt very close to home although it was in Yorkshire. Any mention of The Mail just adds to my woes...

Have a good (positive) weekend everyone - and stay safe.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Daily Fail on 13:21 - Jun 17 with 2979 viewsPinnerPaul

Daily Fail on 10:31 - Jun 17 by Northolt_Rs

Given recent record and numbers, you seriously think we will reduce immigration from Europe to nil - really?!
Daily Fail on 13:21 - Jun 17 with 2974 viewsPinnerPaul

Daily Fail on 11:23 - Jun 17 by stowmarketrange

Agree with you about the untruths on both sides - its getting ridiculous.
Login to get fewer ads

Daily Fail on 14:26 - Jun 17 with 2902 viewsDWQPR

The migration debate in my view is a disgrace in terms that it has become overtly racist. We have currently by all accounts just over 3million 'foreigners' in this country that are working, which includes from Commonwealth countries, the US, China etc., as well as Europe and many of those from countries such as France (London is the 7th largest French populated city in the world), Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, Belgium, the Nordic countries, Austria, Switzerland, Greece and of course Ireland and I have not heard complaints about these nationals, but instead the racism is mainly aimed at the Poles and the Romanians. The ones that I know have all come over to the UK for work, are skilled and work hard, pay their taxes, pay their NI and will more than likely return to their own country within 10 years meaning that their NI payments will have been worthless as they would not qualify for a UK state pension if they don't stay the ten years. They also tend to be better educated than us, certainly are able to speak a second language, unlike the vast majority of us. The contributions of immigrants over the last decade has helped this country prosper after the financial crisis unlike their own homelands which have been hamstrung by poor economic decisions and the Germans pretty much pulling the strings. And yet we still have 1.5million, mainly British nationals not working! Why? Possibly because many really don't want to? I suspect that this is the case and this is where our ire should be directed at. Going back to the OP and the subject matter of the Mail, what they fail to mention, quite appropriately is that if we do leave Europe do you think that these stowaways will suddenly stop at the French border? Of course not, what is likely to happen is that the French will ask for us to move our customs posts back from Calais to Dover meaning that they can at last get rid of Sangette (?), which will then moved to Kent instead. And of course we will also have to build for the first time proper border controls on the Irish/Northern Irish border. What a bloody mess waiting to happen.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Daily Fail on 14:44 - Jun 17 with 2860 viewsMytch_QPR

Daily Fail on 14:26 - Jun 17 by DWQPR

The migration debate in my view is a disgrace in terms that it has become overtly racist. We have currently by all accounts just over 3million 'foreigners' in this country that are working, which includes from Commonwealth countries, the US, China etc., as well as Europe and many of those from countries such as France (London is the 7th largest French populated city in the world), Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, Belgium, the Nordic countries, Austria, Switzerland, Greece and of course Ireland and I have not heard complaints about these nationals, but instead the racism is mainly aimed at the Poles and the Romanians. The ones that I know have all come over to the UK for work, are skilled and work hard, pay their taxes, pay their NI and will more than likely return to their own country within 10 years meaning that their NI payments will have been worthless as they would not qualify for a UK state pension if they don't stay the ten years. They also tend to be better educated than us, certainly are able to speak a second language, unlike the vast majority of us. The contributions of immigrants over the last decade has helped this country prosper after the financial crisis unlike their own homelands which have been hamstrung by poor economic decisions and the Germans pretty much pulling the strings. And yet we still have 1.5million, mainly British nationals not working! Why? Possibly because many really don't want to? I suspect that this is the case and this is where our ire should be directed at. Going back to the OP and the subject matter of the Mail, what they fail to mention, quite appropriately is that if we do leave Europe do you think that these stowaways will suddenly stop at the French border? Of course not, what is likely to happen is that the French will ask for us to move our customs posts back from Calais to Dover meaning that they can at last get rid of Sangette (?), which will then moved to Kent instead. And of course we will also have to build for the first time proper border controls on the Irish/Northern Irish border. What a bloody mess waiting to happen.

Exactly. This. We are signed up to various Human Rights Acts over and above EU Regs. Agreed also that the vast majority contribute to our economy and are hard working.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Daily Fail on 15:00 - Jun 17 with 2826 viewsPinnerPaul

Can't disagree with any of that
Daily Fail on 15:49 - Jun 17 with 2780 viewsQPRDave

Your missing the point op, they were saying they were from europe because they think that'll help them stay
Daily Fail on 15:58 - Jun 17 with 2758 viewsQPRDave

Some people in this country can't afford to work DW, with the way the benefits system is set.
Some do just want to sit on their a*ses, and collect their money I agree, but not all.
What gets me is the amount the some of these get, no wonder they don't feel the need to work, they have the latest tv's, laptops, computer games, and whose fault is that?
Border controls are needed and should be in place imo, and we'll have to invest in it, ...creates jobs
Daily Fail on 16:04 - Jun 17 with 2740 viewsPinnerPaul

Daily Fail on 15:49 - Jun 17 by QPRDave

Your missing the point op, they were saying they were from europe because they think that'll help them stay

and you're missing the point, which is that was made up/wrong/ a lie - they never did say they were "from Europe" at all!
Daily Fail on 16:08 - Jun 17 with 2729 viewsDWQPR

Daily Fail on 15:58 - Jun 17 by QPRDave

Some people in this country can't afford to work DW, with the way the benefits system is set.
Some do just want to sit on their a*ses, and collect their money I agree, but not all.
What gets me is the amount the some of these get, no wonder they don't feel the need to work, they have the latest tv's, laptops, computer games, and whose fault is that?
Border controls are needed and should be in place imo, and we'll have to invest in it, ...creates jobs

And that is one of the points that I am making, it is about time for those that it is properly appropriate for, to make them work for their benefits. As regards to border controls, this is a totally different issue to EU Migration, and I think that we can all agree that our borders need to be tightened up, however, being an island has its own difficulties in trying to patrol Christ knows how many miles of coastline, but rest assured if we vote to Leave then any co-operation that we currently get from the French will be out the window, they will happily let those from non-EU countries that are in such places as Sangatte to find ways of getting across or under the Channel.

Daily Fail on 16:13 - Jun 17 with 2711 viewsQPRDave

Daily Fail on 16:08 - Jun 17 by DWQPR

And that is one of the points that I am making, it is about time for those that it is properly appropriate for, to make them work for their benefits. As regards to border controls, this is a totally different issue to EU Migration, and I think that we can all agree that our borders need to be tightened up, however, being an island has its own difficulties in trying to patrol Christ knows how many miles of coastline, but rest assured if we vote to Leave then any co-operation that we currently get from the French will be out the window, they will happily let those from non-EU countries that are in such places as Sangatte to find ways of getting across or under the Channel.

good post DW.
Daily Fail on 16:14 - Jun 17 with 2702 viewsQPRDave

Daily Fail on 16:04 - Jun 17 by PinnerPaul

and you're missing the point, which is that was made up/wrong/ a lie - they never did say they were "from Europe" at all!

How do you know?...I haven't seen that
Daily Fail on 16:16 - Jun 17 with 2697 viewsQPR_John

Daily Fail on 10:54 - Jun 17 by stumbleandfall

Is it all Europeans that outers want to stop coming or just a certain type. I mean are we OK with the Irish and the Dutch freely visiting or are these near neighbours going to be subjected to 'Australian Style Points System'?

Or is it more the case there's a certain 'type' of European we don't want? Hence the need for points.

Do the Irish get more freebie points because they are Irish?
[Post edited 17 Jun 2016 11:01]

"Do the Irish get more freebie points because they are Irish?"

No it's because of the Common Travel Area brought in I think in 1923 long before the EU was thought of. There was always free movement including no need for a passport between Eire and the U.K.
Daily Fail on 16:16 - Jun 17 with 2693 viewsPinnerPaul

Daily Fail on 16:14 - Jun 17 by QPRDave

How do you know?...I haven't seen that

The Daily Mail printed a correction today - that was the point of my OP.

Massive front page headline Thursday "WE'RE FROM EUROPE" - tiny page 2 correction today.
Daily Fail on 16:22 - Jun 17 with 2672 viewsTheBlob

Strange schizophrenic Daily Mail - and the press in general.Switching of allegiances rife and foot in both camps not unnoticed.The Fail seems to have a number of "associate" editors and the content/bias shifts almost on a daily basis,probably in line with who has the key to the drinks cabinet that day.
Rupdert Murdoch has done an about-farce over Europe in the TImes,is rabidly anti in The Sun(as before),moderately in The Times and definitely Out in Sky.Make up your f*cking mind cobber.The "intelligent tabloid" Mirror is at least consistent as is the Grauniad/Observer group.
And this messageboard is begining to take on the guise of the old agitprop rags of the 70's,but then that's university indoctrination for you.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Daily Fail on 16:32 - Jun 17 with 2649 viewsQPRDave

Daily Fail on 16:16 - Jun 17 by PinnerPaul

The Daily Mail printed a correction today - that was the point of my OP.

Massive front page headline Thursday "WE'RE FROM EUROPE" - tiny page 2 correction today.

sorry didn't read properly.
Tbh though the guardian are pro remain and print the lies Cam & Os trot out, as if they were gospel.
Daily Fail on 16:36 - Jun 17 with 2622 viewsQPR_Jim

Daily Fail on 16:32 - Jun 17 by QPRDave

sorry didn't read properly.
Tbh though the guardian are pro remain and print the lies Cam & Os trot out, as if they were gospel.

A newspaper printing what the pm says, whatever next?
Daily Fail on 18:13 - Jun 17 with 2511 viewsQPRDave

Daily Fail on 19:07 - Jun 17 with 2459 viewsBrightonhoop

Agree with that Dave, the French population in London is now huge, as is the ex Pat in Spain, do we all have to return home? The border between NI and the Republic will become an EU border that will stir up alot of the old hatreds that some at least have been harmonised. Why aren't some of these crucial elements in the decision of In/Out being discussed? How can anyone make an informed decision on a half discussion/shouting match that has no answers to some pretty big questions?

It's only been going on since February, after all. Crazy to vote in such a narrow discussion with such serious consequences that have not been discussed, sounded out or planned for.
Daily Fail on 20:42 - Jun 17 with 2389 viewsDWQPR

Daily Fail on 19:07 - Jun 17 by Brightonhoop

Agree with that Dave, the French population in London is now huge, as is the ex Pat in Spain, do we all have to return home? The border between NI and the Republic will become an EU border that will stir up alot of the old hatreds that some at least have been harmonised. Why aren't some of these crucial elements in the decision of In/Out being discussed? How can anyone make an informed decision on a half discussion/shouting match that has no answers to some pretty big questions?

It's only been going on since February, after all. Crazy to vote in such a narrow discussion with such serious consequences that have not been discussed, sounded out or planned for.

Jim, you are spot on regarding the Irish border, otherwise EU nationals wanting to get into the UK will just have to fly to Dublin and hey ho, just have to walk across. It will create a worse situation in Northern Ireland than ever before. I am afraid that the practicalities are just as enormous as the consequences. The Leave campaign have given up on the economic front, have not even mentioned their other 'trump card' sovereignty and are just relying on immigration to achieve their aims. It really is a load of shît.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024