Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SAturday at 3PM 13:53 - Dec 8 with 1433 viewsTGRRRSSS

Before the advent of floodlights what did they do in the darkest parts of winter (EG now) when it was dark by 4pm (or near enough)?
SAturday at 3PM on 14:03 - Dec 8 with 1408 viewsTonto

they played earlier in the day

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

SAturday at 3PM on 14:03 - Dec 8 with 1406 views2Thomas2Bowles

In the days before floodlighting (introduced in the1950’s) matches started earlier as the days grew shorter,and in mid­winter a 2.15 kick­ off was usual for league matches, with a 1.30 or 1.45 start for Cup replays. So prior to floodlights football was confined to Saturdays, except early autumn or late spring. Cup replays were midweek as were International matches.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2016 14:04]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

SAturday at 3PM on 14:04 - Dec 8 with 1405 viewsCamberleyR

I believe they brought the kick off forward to either 2 or 2.15 after the clocks went back and reverted to 3 pm when the clocks went forward. The same thing happened during the three day week in early 1974 when the use of electricity was restricted and clubs couldn't use floodlights.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

SAturday at 3PM on 14:12 - Dec 8 with 1383 viewsWokingR

In our day we used to play in these

Made heading the ball a lottery though
SAturday at 3PM on 14:21 - Dec 8 with 1364 views2Thomas2Bowles

Just been looking up the first match at LR with floodlights
Not much has changed gate of 16k and lost 1-3 to Arsenal
Played on a Monday.. fecking sky!

With some woman kick starting the game....

Independent R's
http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2008/10/the-first-floodlit-match-at-loftus-road/
[Post edited 8 Dec 2016 14:23]

SAturday at 3PM on 14:52 - Dec 8 with 1332 viewsAddinall

SAturday at 3PM on 14:21 - Dec 8 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Just been looking up the first match at LR with floodlights
Not much has changed gate of 16k and lost 1-3 to Arsenal
Played on a Monday.. fecking sky!

With some woman kick starting the game....

Independent R's
http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2008/10/the-first-floodlit-match-at-loftus-road/
[Post edited 8 Dec 2016 14:23]

I remember it well.Rangers claimed to be the first club in west London to install floodlights.I think Don Roper scored twice.Stan Gullan in goal for the R's.
SAturday at 3PM on 15:01 - Dec 8 with 1315 viewsDWQPR

Matches generally also lasted 90 minutes, with very little injury time, no substitutions to waste time and half time was no more than 10 minutes.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

SAturday at 3PM on 15:07 - Dec 8 with 1292 viewsphilc

SAturday at 3PM on 14:04 - Dec 8 by CamberleyR

I believe they brought the kick off forward to either 2 or 2.15 after the clocks went back and reverted to 3 pm when the clocks went forward. The same thing happened during the three day week in early 1974 when the use of electricity was restricted and clubs couldn't use floodlights.

I remember we had to play the FA reply against Chelsea on a weekday afternoon. A lot of boys were too ill to go to school that day. I seem to remember that was also the game when the wall collapsed separating the children's terrace behind the goal on the loft end
Login to get fewer ads

SAturday at 3PM on 15:13 - Dec 8 with 1281 views2Thomas2Bowles

I often think it would be better to go back to 1 or 2 subs

May cut down on squad numbers with less players willing to sign with little chance of playing, no more last minute subs just to mess around, less rolling around with a grass burn to waste time getting subbed and 3 weeks out for treatment.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2016 15:14]

SAturday at 3PM on 15:27 - Dec 8 with 1256 viewsphilc

The larger match day squads were introduced to keep the the bigger clubs happy. They have such large squads, increasing the numbers involved is a way for them to keep them all involved and lessen descent.
SAturday at 3PM on 15:42 - Dec 8 with 1232 viewsPinnerPaul

SAturday at 3PM on 14:04 - Dec 8 by CamberleyR

We played Chelsea in an FA Cup replay at that time - played midweek afternoon.

I got a sick note from my Mum for school and guess what, match was postponed so had to get a 2nd sick note for the game!

Some smart alec tried to grass me up ,but as the notes I had from my Mum were genuine, nothing teacher could do.

We won as well - happy days!
SAturday at 3PM on 15:45 - Dec 8 with 1226 viewsPinnerPaul

SAturday at 3PM on 15:07 - Dec 8 by philc

I remember we had to play the FA reply against Chelsea on a weekday afternoon. A lot of boys were too ill to go to school that day. I seem to remember that was also the game when the wall collapsed separating the children's terrace behind the goal on the loft end

That right, we won 1-0 and in the last minute "Chopper" Harris ran across from left back position to kick Stan up in the air right in front of loft by the corner with Ellerslie Rd.

The crowd surging forward to tell Harris what they thought of that challenge caused the wall to collapse.

If I remember correctly, ref just blew full time whistle and left Stan lying on the ground!
SAturday at 3PM on 15:57 - Dec 8 with 1207 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Especially up in the Highland league!
SAturday at 3PM on 16:01 - Dec 8 with 1203 viewsLythamR

SAturday at 3PM on 15:45 - Dec 8 by PinnerPaul

That right, we won 1-0 and in the last minute "Chopper" Harris ran across from left back position to kick Stan up in the air right in front of loft by the corner with Ellerslie Rd.

The crowd surging forward to tell Harris what they thought of that challenge caused the wall to collapse.

If I remember correctly, ref just blew full time whistle and left Stan lying on the ground!

Of my form at Ealing Grammer at least 9 of us bunked off to go to that match. I managed a phanton Dentist appointment (bowers in east acton) . those that didnt have a excuse got the slipper from the head
SAturday at 3PM on 16:24 - Dec 8 with 1158 views2Thomas2Bowles

I bunked off school and then bunked in to the loft for that game, the corner of batman close and SAR where there was a short wall and some corrugated tin.

SAturday at 3PM on 16:28 - Dec 8 with 1148 viewsElHoop

I think that the first ever live game broadcast, by the BBC anyway, was Barnet v Wealdstone in 1946, at Underhill. No floodlights and it got dark so the broadcast stopped i believe, although presumably the game didn't.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024