Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your Opinion 17:53 - Nov 7 with 6858 viewsBoston

...about the East Midlands. No offence to anyone who lives in the area, but my thoughts are that if I had the choice of Derby, Leicester or Nottingham as my primary residence, I'd choose the latter. I'm no authority on that part of the world, my knowledge primarily garnered through attending football matches and the aimless wandering around for beer associated with game day . Nottingham just seemed a better looking city with classier suburbs and decent boozers.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Your Opinion on 18:08 - Nov 7 with 4918 viewsMrSheen

A friend of mine worked in Leicester, lived in Nottingham, for precisely the reasons you mentioned. Another friend lived in Derby, and was soon homesick for the bright lights and sophistication of Hartlepool.
Your Opinion on 18:11 - Nov 7 with 4911 viewsBrightonhoop

I've had a look at the area a few times, hard to call, and my info will likely be out of date but I always thought the country around Leicester was the best option as Derby seemed to be in terminal decline and Nottingham had/has a serious drug crime problem with very high crime rates. ( I know, where hasn't).

Two advantages, the East Mids airport and Donnington Race track if you're into your motor/bike racing.
Your Opinion on 18:49 - Nov 7 with 4847 viewsderbyhoop

I lived in Derby for 40 years until we moved to France. It's much the smallest of the 3 cities and, as a result, suffers culturally. The bigger venues in Nottingham and Leicester attract the bigger bands. Like every city, Derby has it's good bits (Allestree, Darley Abbey, Chellaston and Littleover) and some rough parts, particularly Allenton. The scenery North of the city is stunning.
There is plenty of employment for skilled engineers with Rolls-Royce, Toyota and Bombardier. In fact, several years ago a survey found it had the highest % of graduates in the city. At the same time, it had the highest % of people with no qualifications.
Nottingham, the biggest city, with 2 universities, has the busier night life but there are parts that are seriously crime ridden.
Leicester, I don't know as well, has a heady mix of people from the Asian sub-continent. In fact Belgrave Road has been nicknamed the Khyber Pass with Indians at one end and Pakistanis at the other. You'd have to try hard not to find a decent curry house.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Your Opinion on 19:09 - Nov 7 with 4814 viewsaston_hoop

One of my good mate grew up in Kilburn...not *that* Kilburn, but Kilburn in Derbyshire. Having spent 30 years surveying everything thats good and bad about the East Midlands and becoming the worlds foremost expert on the whole region, he also settled on Nottingham as the city he wanted to buy in and live in. I've had many a trip up that way in the last 10 years and Nottingham is a decent city to live in, Derby is a fantastic city if you like good beer but Leicester I am less keen on (although I've never managed to see us lose there)

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Your Opinion on 09:57 - Nov 8 with 4422 viewsrobith

My best friend from uni moved to Nottingham about a year ago and it's been a revelation for her. I've been to visit and while it's probably a bit small for me, I was actually taken aback by how cool some it was. Had some really good times there
Your Opinion on 11:58 - Nov 8 with 4351 viewsNW5Hoop

Nottingham's all right. But the East Midlands are the worst place in the world. My father in law lives there and we go quite often. No matter the weather, it always looks grey and depressing. And the unending bloody flatness.

We once drove past a block of flats on top of a tiny hill on the way to Lincoln. My wife said there must be an amazing view from the top floor. "Yes, but of what? The East Midlands. You'd jump."
Your Opinion on 12:34 - Nov 8 with 4298 viewsMick_S

I had to drive to Lincoln once and my abiding memory is the amount of sex shop/warehouse establishments along the A1. Took us ages, it did.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Your Opinion on 12:42 - Nov 8 with 4287 viewsmichael67

Am I the only one who quickly mis-read it as the Middle East, instead of East Midlands? No? Only me then.

Poll: Do you enjoy NorthermRs presser posts, and wish to see them every week?

Login to get fewer ads

Your Opinion on 13:23 - Nov 8 with 4235 viewsTGRRRSSS

Your Opinion on 18:49 - Nov 7 by derbyhoop

I lived in Derby for 40 years until we moved to France. It's much the smallest of the 3 cities and, as a result, suffers culturally. The bigger venues in Nottingham and Leicester attract the bigger bands. Like every city, Derby has it's good bits (Allestree, Darley Abbey, Chellaston and Littleover) and some rough parts, particularly Allenton. The scenery North of the city is stunning.
There is plenty of employment for skilled engineers with Rolls-Royce, Toyota and Bombardier. In fact, several years ago a survey found it had the highest % of graduates in the city. At the same time, it had the highest % of people with no qualifications.
Nottingham, the biggest city, with 2 universities, has the busier night life but there are parts that are seriously crime ridden.
Leicester, I don't know as well, has a heady mix of people from the Asian sub-continent. In fact Belgrave Road has been nicknamed the Khyber Pass with Indians at one end and Pakistanis at the other. You'd have to try hard not to find a decent curry house.

Belgrave Road has been nicknamed the Khyber Pass with Indians at one end and Pakistanis at the other. You'd have to try hard not to find a decent curry house.

The worst curry house I ever went to was in Southall!!!
Your Opinion on 13:50 - Nov 8 with 4200 viewssmegma

Got mates in Derby and Nottingham, love both cities. I'm no expert but I've failed to find a crap pub in Derby and I find the people very friendly . Houses are very cheap and the city centre is a great place for a pub crawl with one literally every 50-100 yards. The ground is walkable from the station and they also have Richard Keogh. What's not to like ??
Your Opinion on 15:22 - Nov 8 with 4149 viewshopphoops

They all have the great strength of not being Peterborough.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2017 15:22]

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Your Opinion on 16:30 - Nov 8 with 4095 viewsNorthernr

Some beautiful bits north of Derby, my first 'patch' as a local reporter. Thre's a little one coach ninky nonk train that goes out of Derby through Belper, Ambergate, Matlock Bath to Matlock and that whole journey and just about every place it stops at is lovely - and loads of country pubs.
Your Opinion on 16:45 - Nov 8 with 4077 viewsderbyhoop

Your Opinion on 16:30 - Nov 8 by Northernr

Some beautiful bits north of Derby, my first 'patch' as a local reporter. Thre's a little one coach ninky nonk train that goes out of Derby through Belper, Ambergate, Matlock Bath to Matlock and that whole journey and just about every place it stops at is lovely - and loads of country pubs.

But then you had the misfortune to work in Ripley and Heanor. LOL

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Your Opinion on 17:51 - Nov 8 with 4037 viewsNW5Hoop

Your Opinion on 12:34 - Nov 8 by Mick_S

I had to drive to Lincoln once and my abiding memory is the amount of sex shop/warehouse establishments along the A1. Took us ages, it did.

I've noticed that! I think there's a great piece to be written about the A1: Sex Highway.
Your Opinion on 18:47 - Nov 8 with 4008 viewsMrSheen

Your Opinion on 17:51 - Nov 8 by NW5Hoop

I've noticed that! I think there's a great piece to be written about the A1: Sex Highway.

The internet hasn't reached Lincoln then? Or are they holding fast to "try before you buy"?
Your Opinion on 19:52 - Nov 8 with 3963 viewsNorthernr

Your Opinion on 16:45 - Nov 8 by derbyhoop

But then you had the misfortune to work in Ripley and Heanor. LOL

Yus well there is also Ripley and Heanor. No trains there, and just as fcking well.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Your Opinion on 23:36 - Nov 8 with 3854 viewsSimonJames

I did a software implementation in Nottingham for East Midlands Ambulance Service a few years back.
I had a great time there (except for the 3am altercation outside my hotel room involving my red hot steam iron and a bunch of aggressive "Goose Fair" trader tw4ts).

But I found it amusing that in the same week Nottingham was declared both the "Friendliest Place in Britain" and the "Gun Crime Capital of Britain"!

100% of people who drink water will die.

Your Opinion on 00:43 - Nov 9 with 3826 viewsCiderwithRsie

Your Opinion on 16:30 - Nov 8 by Northernr

Ah, but (as you surely know) there's big difference between the town Derby and Derbyshire - the latter has some of the finest countryside in the Peak district and none off that flatness NW5 was complaining about.

Unfortunately the Derbyshire Peak is full of Man City and Man U fans rather than Derby County which I think tells you plenty about how disconnected it is with actual Derby.
Your Opinion on 02:37 - Nov 9 with 3810 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Your Opinion on 12:34 - Nov 8 by Mick_S

When back in Europe for the festive season, Mrs PH and I like to take a little mini-break somewhere in the UK or Europe. This year, we're going to Lincoln and in an ironic twist, we're traveling by 'Virgin' train.

Do you know if sex toys can be purchased on the railways as opposed to highways and more specifically; can you buy the deluxe double flange loose nut tickler, with fur lining? To be precise, the 2016 model (ISO3456780).

I ask not for myself of course, but a friend.

I'd PM you, but you haven't replied to my friend's inquiry about the Throb-knobler with optional butt plug!
[Post edited 9 Nov 2017 4:11]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Your Opinion on 08:26 - Nov 9 with 3758 viewsMrSheen

Your Opinion on 02:37 - Nov 9 by PlanetHonneywood

When back in Europe for the festive season, Mrs PH and I like to take a little mini-break somewhere in the UK or Europe. This year, we're going to Lincoln and in an ironic twist, we're traveling by 'Virgin' train.

Do you know if sex toys can be purchased on the railways as opposed to highways and more specifically; can you buy the deluxe double flange loose nut tickler, with fur lining? To be precise, the 2016 model (ISO3456780).

I'd PM you, but you haven't replied to my friend's inquiry about the Throb-knobler with optional butt plug!

Congratulations on choosing Lincoln.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/why-todays-middle-classes-buy-such-stupid-st
Your Opinion on 08:37 - Nov 9 with 3755 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Your Opinion on 08:26 - Nov 9 by MrSheen

Congratulations on choosing Lincoln.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/why-todays-middle-classes-buy-such-stupid-st

You've clearly not tried the the deluxe double flange loose nut tickler, with fur lining then!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Your Opinion on 09:13 - Nov 9 with 3735 viewshopphoops

Your Opinion on 08:37 - Nov 9 by PlanetHonneywood

You've clearly not tried the the deluxe double flange loose nut tickler, with fur lining then!

Does it have an app to drive it? I can't manage on/off switches any more.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Your Opinion on 09:32 - Nov 9 with 3725 viewsMick_S

Your Opinion on 02:37 - Nov 9 by PlanetHonneywood

Dear John - these two may be able to help - looks like they got your message.

Your Opinion on 10:24 - Nov 9 with 3690 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Your Opinion on 09:32 - Nov 9 by Mick_S

Dear John - these two may be able to help - looks like they got your message.

By the look on Sullivan's boat, I think Gold's inserting it the wrong way. No sign of Brady either...well not in the picture!

Your Opinion on 10:27 - Nov 9 with 3688 viewsMick_S

She might be changing the batteries.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024